Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i used to kinda lazily dig my car out just enough so i could get in and power my way outta the damned spot

kinda fun

but i got a new car and i dunno how well it would do at this since it hasn't snowed yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-01-30/Technology_report
Lua chosen as new template scripting language

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-01-30/Technology_report
Lua chosen as new template scripting language

The same language that powers the shitheap known as Garrysmod moves onto to a new pile of poo poo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

nap.app posted:

i used to kinda lazily dig my car out just enough so i could get in and power my way outta the damned spot

yeah this is the way to do it. bonus points if your neighbors help push & then you hop out and help push them. and/or it's Saturday night & 5 random drunk people magically appear to help you out of an ice rut :mmmhmm:

I kinda do feel sorry for you snowgoons who live in towns that don't plow tho. seriously what the heck man

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I kinda do feel sorry for you snowgoons who live in towns that don't plow tho. seriously what the heck man

plowing is part of the problem ?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

LP97S posted:

The same language that powers the shitheap known as Garrysmod moves onto to a new pile of poo poo.
fun fact: lua has no support for unicode

gl with your new scripting language wikipedia

e: lol, from the page on one of the libraries it recommends:

quote:

The UTF-8 encoding

Unicode is an universal character set, widely used in XML documents.

The point of this is that Unicode characters are 32/64 bits length. With UTF-8, ASCII characters are stored as one byte, others may take from 2 to 7 bytes in length. See RFC 2279 [1].

Note: the above is not correct.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Yodzilla posted:

"sis come over here i need you for something"

:heysexy:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

graph posted:

plowing is part of the problem ?

1. city declares snow emergency is in effect
2. everybody parks on one side of the street
3. other side of the street gets plowed to the curb
4. repeat steps 2 & 3 to clear the side of the street not done yet

WORKSFORME. also if you live somewhere dense enough that this isn't possible, wtf you got a car for anyway?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
i'm just glad i don't live in a city where it's illegal to park on 99% of the streets when it snows. baltimore's snow corridor's are a loving nightmare

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
the city of atlanta has a grand total of 2 snow plows for like 5 million people so you can see why we flip the gently caress out whenever we get any snow at all

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

the city of atlanta has a grand total of 2 snow plows for like 5 million people so you can see why we flip the gently caress out whenever we get any snow at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVT8SCkobE

keep warm hotlanta

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pakled posted:

arkansas highway department likes to put down sand

:ughh:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
? http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUnicode

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Baltimore

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

"The term "HON" recently became a trademarked term in Baltimore by a local businesswoman. Denise Whiting trademarked the term "HON" for use on napkins, buttons, hats and other promotional material to promote her business, Cafe Hon, located in Baltimore. The trademark, as stated by Whiting, doesn't prevent anyone from saying "HON"[3] or using it in general conversation.[4]"

lol i remember when this happened and everyone got pissed

literally a trademark troll

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_slang#Beer_glasses

actually this is fuckin important

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

ahhh spiders posted:

? http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUnicode
it's a whole lot of words to say "you can store UTF8 in a lua string but there's no support for them"

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

it's a whole lot of words to say "you can store UTF8 in a lua string but there's no support for them"

so this wikipedia thing is blown way out of proportion, like most "breaking news" on teh internet

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
i once saw someone doing encryption and bit arithmetic in lua

lua doesn't have bitwise operators

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_bar#List_of_X_window_managers_and_the_types_of_titlebar_that_they_use

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

ymgve posted:

i once saw someone doing encryption and bit arithmetic in lua

lua doesn't have bitwise operators

sometimes its fun to try and do something in a completely stupid way so you can terrify everyone with the idiot monstrosity of coding

but that,

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Own-zone.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

COME OVER TO MY HEOUS, ITS IN FELLS DEOUN BY THE WUDDER HON, COME OVER AND WELL DRINK BOHS AN EAT CRABS AN WATCH THE OWEIOLS GAME HON

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

LP97S posted:

also angry birdes

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

nap.app posted:

kinda fun

but i got a new car and i dunno how well it would do at this since it hasn't snowed yet
this is the way. then all cars are tilted 30 degrees and no one gets bashed or shot or vehicle vigilantism.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Pain is an unpleasant sensation often caused by intense or damaging stimuli such as stubbing a toe, burning a finger, putting alcohol on a cut, and bumping the "funny bone."[1]

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

Pain is an unpleasant sensation often caused by intense or damaging stimuli such as stubbing a toe, burning a finger, putting alcohol on a cut, and bumping the "funny bone."[1]

i find it difficult to picture anybody doing all of these things at the same time :eng101:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hammerite posted:

i find it difficult to picture anybody doing all of these things at the same time :eng101:

this is just married sex night

speaking of which, penciled in for the 20th :woop:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Hammerite posted:

Pain is an unpleasant sensation often caused by damaging stimuli such as your posts.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
sorry if snow chair chat is over but ffor reals had no idea this was a thing. burb lyfe

also portland is kinda like atlanta in terms of snowplows per capita. if there's over a foot of snow the place shuts down

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey, whens the last time you tried to drive a fixie snowplow

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

ahhh spiders posted:

so this wikipedia thing is blown way out of proportion, like most "breaking news" on teh internet

Vulgarity is in the eye of the beholder, like beauty. I don't find anything vulgar, because I understand that words are sounds, the same as other apes make, only we string them together to represent thoughts. I don't believe that thoughts can be "bad," because I don't believe in thought-crime -- because I still think in Oldspeak. I do realize, however, that your opinion outweighs mine on this site, because you have a magic button that can send me to Room 101. It is this fact at which I take umbrage. I openly mock your piddling button, and dare you to resort to it. I do this because I reject the notion that your subjective assessment of thoughts is the slightest bit more relevant than mine -- button or no -- and I want you to sink to your lowest possible level by enforcing your belief to the contrary.

P.S. gently caress you. Stick your threats up your rear end. And stick your admin bit (the source of all your bluster) up Shearer's rear end, next to his. You came here to rile me up with more threats, because you knew I wouldn't be impressed by your button, and that I'd push it myself just to spite you. This is just another case of bored button-jockeys who oppose my political views, looking for an excuse to purge me. Well, you've got your reason, now push your loving button, gatekeeper. You can't imagine how many times I've been through this. You'll see me after I've pressed my own button -- on the back of my modem. Or perhaps I'll see you first. The gates will come down one day. The top Google hit won't always be run by power-tripping teens, frustrated house-husbands, bitter spinsters and slavish upholders of the elites' version of history. The truth will find its way into this right-wing, authoritarian, Anglo-centric nightmare.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

ahmeni posted:

Vulgarity is in the eye of the beholder, like beauty. I don't find anything vulgar, because I understand that words are sounds, the same as other apes make, only we string them together to represent thoughts. I don't believe that thoughts can be "bad," because I don't believe in thought-crime -- because I still think in Oldspeak. I do realize, however, that your opinion outweighs mine on this site, because you have a magic button that can send me to Room 101. It is this fact at which I take umbrage. I openly mock your piddling button, and dare you to resort to it. I do this because I reject the notion that your subjective assessment of thoughts is the slightest bit more relevant than mine -- button or no -- and I want you to sink to your lowest possible level by enforcing your belief to the contrary.

P.S. gently caress you. Stick your threats up your rear end. And stick your admin bit (the source of all your bluster) up Shearer's rear end, next to his. You came here to rile me up with more threats, because you knew I wouldn't be impressed by your button, and that I'd push it myself just to spite you. This is just another case of bored button-jockeys who oppose my political views, looking for an excuse to purge me. Well, you've got your reason, now push your loving button, gatekeeper. You can't imagine how many times I've been through this. You'll see me after I've pressed my own button -- on the back of my modem. Or perhaps I'll see you first. The gates will come down one day. The top Google hit won't always be run by power-tripping teens, frustrated house-husbands, bitter spinsters and slavish upholders of the elites' version of history. The truth will find its way into this right-wing, authoritarian, Anglo-centric nightmare.

ahahah he wikilinked the 1984 references
in case we were too dense to figure out his subtle literary allusions

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:70.105.246.237

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 2, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
where the gently caress is that from

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_Magical_Negro_occurrences_in_fiction#Capitalization_of_.22negro.22

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Lamont Cranston posted:

ahahah he wikilinked the 1984 references
in case we were too dense to figure out his subtle literary allusions

I know someone irl who does this in emails all the god drat time

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Jonny 290 posted:

this is just married sex night

speaking of which, penciled in for the 20th :woop:

funny boner

Toasterdeath
Jun 30, 2003

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

where the gently caress is that from

That article is another loving disgrace. Two measly loving paragraphs in a measly loving backwater of an article, where the truth, to the extent that it is mentioned, won't offend the sensibilities of historical gatekeepers like yourself.
By the way, your wording could use some cleanup as well. "Native Americans and their mass killings"? That could be taken to imply that the natives were the ones doing the killing and instigating the whole thing. Is that what you meant?
Never mind, don't bother answering. Go gently caress yourself, gatekeeper. And stick your admin bit as far up your rear end as your long arm of the law will reach.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The film The Matrix also incorporates a self-defeating prophecy. When Neo is taken to the Oracle, she tells him that he's not "the One". She then goes on to tell him that Morpheus believes so blindly that Neo is "the One", that he will risk his life to save him. Therefore, Neo eventually will have to make a choice between his own life, and Morpheus'. Later on, when he is faced with Morpheus' imminent death, Neo makes the choice to save Morpheus, believing that if he himself dies it won't matter, because he is not "the One". Neo manages to save Morpheus without dying himself, contrary to the Oracle's prediction. Seeing that Neo is confused by this, Morpheus explains, "She [the Oracle] told you exactly what you needed to hear. That's all." Neo then discovers that he is in fact "the One". If the Oracle had told Neo earlier that he was "the One", he might not have been willing to risk his own life for Morpheus'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
way to spend 300 words explaining what the film does in five seconds with the vase bit