Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
I have just had surgery on my right thumb. Morphine is awesome, I'm in pain, but I don't care.

Any recommendations for games I can play with one hand? I do have the fingers free on my right, but I have to keep it elevated.

Available platforms are ps3, PC and android. Budget will probably depend on how bored I get.

Been playing some little big planet 2. Not too hard to hit the buttons with my right, but I don't want to wear that hand out too much.
Edit : pretty open on genre, I think I'm limited enough

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

polystyrus posted:

Any recommendations for games I can play with one hand? I do have the fingers free on my right, but I have to keep it elevated.

Assuming that using a mouse isn't a problem, plenty of turn-based or pause-and-play games on the PC should be possible. Shogun 2 (or other Total Wars), the Civ series, Dragon Age (or older Bioware RPGs), etc.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, mousing isn't a problem. I'm not as adept as with my right, but it's ok.

One thing I'm kind of looking for is immersion value of the holy-poo poo-how-has-been-four-hours variety. I'll definitely check out civilization :-)

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Try Suikoden on PSN. Excellent RPG and the controls are mapped in such a way that you can access everything with your left hand. Should be the same with Suikoden 2 if you can find a copy of that.

Point and click games and Football Manager (if you can get into that kind of thing) could be an option as well.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

rizuhbull posted:

Can anyone recommend a game where the protagonist ages/shows wear/grows as a person through the game?

Things like the Fable series and Dragon Quest 5.

Saga Frontier 2 also has aging protagonists, as well as multiple generations of protagonists.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Nighteyedie posted:

Saga Frontier 2 also has aging protagonists, as well as multiple generations of protagonists.

So does Phantasy Star 3

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Badguy posted:

Try Suikoden on PSN. Excellent RPG and the controls are mapped in such a way that you can access everything with your left hand. Should be the same with Suikoden 2 if you can find a copy of that.

Point and click games and Football Manager (if you can get into that kind of thing) could be an option as well.

Which country do I need a psn account in for suikoden? I'm in the uk, and it's not there.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

polystyrus posted:

Which country do I need a psn account in for suikoden? I'm in the uk, and it's not there.
I'm on the US store and it's there.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
US only for an english language version. You can still grab it with a US account, but finding a way to get store credit can be a bit of hassle.

Edit: I can't read.

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 28, 2012

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Which Drakensang Game should I start with?

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
I was playing Civ last night and realized that part of what I enjoy most about it is the empire building aspect. I loved simcity and simcity2k when I was a kid. When simcity3k came along it took micromanagement to a level that turned me off so I never tried 4.

Anyway, Im looking for a simcity type game where I can just play without being in direct competition with any sort of AI or anything. Something where I can just relax and see the outcome of my progress. Stressed out lately and just want to relax while I play games. If no one has any better suggestions I guess Ill just grab simcity 4 or something.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheOriginalEd posted:

I was playing Civ last night and realized that part of what I enjoy most about it is the empire building aspect. I loved simcity and simcity2k when I was a kid. When simcity3k came along it took micromanagement to a level that turned me off so I never tried 4.

Anyway, Im looking for a simcity type game where I can just play without being in direct competition with any sort of AI or anything. Something where I can just relax and see the outcome of my progress. Stressed out lately and just want to relax while I play games. If no one has any better suggestions I guess Ill just grab simcity 4 or something.

The Anno series/Dawn of Discovery is exactly this afaik.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Yeah Anno 1404 is relaxing and beautiful.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TheOriginalEd posted:

The Anno games, as mentioned ^^^ are good, but also consider OpenTTD, an open source (and free) remake/upgrade of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. While there *can* be AI competitors, they're terrible and you can turn them off or buy them out. The re-release of Sid Meier's Railroads also has "no competition" modes available as well as competition that's, y'know, at least pretty friendly and not blowing your poo poo up as in Civ games.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

fyallm posted:

Is that a single player only though?

It's also terrible if you're going in expecting Castlevania and SoTC because what you'll get is a poor imitation of God of War where bosses don't die until you kill them The Cool Way.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Awesome, Ill give Anno a looksee. thanks.

Casaubon
Mar 28, 2010

notaaron

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Can someone recommend me an exploration game? I guess the pinnacle of what I'm looking for is Morrowind. extremely non-linear, rpg, vast unique world. However, I understand this is unrealistic. I've played and enjoyed(not just the games themselves but the "exploration" factor) games like the Gothic series, Fallout, Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, Tomb Raider, Baldurs Gate, Resident Evil 4, Farcry, stuff like that. Games like the Assassins creed series, Mass Effect, or Borderlands bore me it feels like it's just the same environment and one I can't really surprise myself or interact with. I guess what I'm looking for is not only lush environments but games that keep knowledge hidden from you. Part of exploring is really not knowing what you're going to find. Games like Morrowind or Gothic do this greatly, never know what is behind the next door really.

Some people said I should try out those Vampire Masquerade games or STALKER and plan to do so. LOTR online seemed like it's right up my alley so I'll try that to. My want for non-archetypical games might lead me to some cool Japanese or foreign games where part of the exploration comes from "wtf is this poo poo" so I'm down for those as well. Sick of walking through the woods fighting boars and going to the city to fight sewer rats.

Really I just want to be dropped into an huge alien world, with no idea what do or where to go and have the ability to strengthen my character through the use of exploration and finding poo poo.

You might like From Software's games (King's Field series, Demons/Dark Souls). Also I don't know how you feel about adventure games but something like Riven or Rhem fits the bolded parts of your request to a T.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

S Danger K posted:

Which Drakensang Game should I start with?

I'd start with the Dark Eye but the whole series is excessively mediocre to be honest.

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

Torabi posted:

Me and my friends are in need of some horror games. One of us has already completed Amnesia and Penumbra.
I was thinking FEAR or something. Dead Space sounds good too. But in case you guys have anything else to recommend, then do tell.

By the way, we are easily scared so there should be plenty to choose from I believe.

Fear 3 is a ton of fun co-op but it's not really scary, although it tries. The co-op lets one player play the standard way with picking up guns and all that, but the other players takes the roll of a supernatural support dude who gets to hold enemies while the other player slaughters them and he also gets to take the bodies of bad guys temporarily. Also you can jump kick people across rooms as both characters, which never got old.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Badguy posted:

Little Big Planet isn't the best platformer, but co-op's fun. 3D but sticks to a 2D plane.
Is LBP or LBP2 to prefer? Assume stock maps only, downloading stuff to the PS3 is a bit of a hassle.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
I'm rather sick right now, and nothing makes me feel better about my infirmities than a super obsessive game.

I'm perversely interested in number crunching games, or just games that allow you to climb a pretty steep upgrade ladder by way of brutal efficiency. The more items and numbers and poo poo to acquire, the better. My usual go-to in this case would be Harvest Moon, but those games don't seem to get released outside of portable consoles anymore.

For those who might get the reference, think Way of the Samurai 2's sword upgrade system. Tons of weapons with variable names and stats and histories.

TLDR: I'd prefer something that can be played natively on the PC or emulated, and I just want to forge and upgrade poo poo for hours and hours and hours.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Torabi posted:

Me and my friends are in need of some horror games. One of us has already completed Amnesia and Penumbra.
I was thinking FEAR or something. Dead Space sounds good too. But in case you guys have anything else to recommend, then do tell.

By the way, we are easily scared so there should be plenty to choose from I believe.

Sounds like you and your friends are doing exactly what me and my friends do.

The Silent Hill series is a decent choice, especially because they're classics (though the fourth is pretty weak). Much of the horror still holds up, though the first is a little weak due to the really poor voice acting and wonky models. Then you can watch the movie afterwards.

Fatal Frame is a good series to play through, since it's freaky. It's also got a lot of interconnecting characters throughout the series, so you can play through all of them and see who is related to who.

Dead Space is a good game, though a wee bit too actiony for our tastes to play through (but it does deliver its fair share of scares).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

repostin:

After pulling out MOO for the umpteenth time (there's a recent fanpatch, wtf), I was reflecting on how one of the (many) reasons I like it so much is the randomized tech tree - you don't get every tech every game, and dealing with what you don't have via stealing, trading, or playing around it is good fun.

SOTS has the same type of tree (which is great), but I don't enjoy the game (which is not so great), and SOTS2 is a trainwreck (which is awful).

I suppose if you squint really hard, HoMM sort of has a cousin of this system, as your heroes have semi-randomized skill acquisition, but that's not quite the system I'm thinking of - plus I want to check out games I haven't played to death already.

So, what other strategy games have a similar limited tech tree? Doesn't necessarily have to be spacenerdfi, I'm interested in just about anything if the game is decent.

I've played all the usual suspects, but if there's an obscure or indie game out there that's some form of strategy with randomized limited tech, please share.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

redmercer posted:

It's also terrible if you're going in expecting Castlevania and SoTC because what you'll get is a poor imitation of God of War where bosses don't die until you kill them The Cool Way.

Do you have any other recommendations for games as similar as possible to SoTC?

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.

TheOriginalEd posted:

You may have moved on by now, but if you want something fairly hands off that eats up about 5 minutes of your time 6 times a day, try out Tiny Tower for iPhone/Android.

Completely zero stress. There is no way to lose progress. You can only effect the rate of forward progression.

Also, it's free. It's better on iOS from what I understand. There's an achievement system set up.

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

While I'm here,

I'm really into games that I can play on Android while listening to audiobooks.

So far, I've been able to pull this off with Tiny Tower and Solitaire. Solitaire includes 4 game types (my favorite is Freecell). I used to listen to podcasts and play Bust-a-Move, so I know that works. I've played out Bust-a-Move, though, so I'm not interested in the many clones available.

I tried this with Osmos HD (which is pretty great), but there are moments that get fairly intense and demand more concentration so that I miss a line or two in the audiobook.

The game can't require sound, and can't involve reading or else my listening comprehension plummets. I'm trying to turn myself into an illiterate here.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Here's my deal: I like games with strong artistic designs/interesting settings, stories being told in non-traditional ways, digestible gaming episodes, and mid-ranged difficulties.

The last three games I've finished (within the last three months) were Bioshock, Alan Wake, and Bioshock 2. All of these games have very strong senses of design and location, convey the story through alternative means (Bioshock through logs, Alan Wake through radio/TV broadcasts), and are broken up into easily consumable chapters with their own individualized arcs.

I would like another game like these.

I tried playing Deadly Premonition because I thought that the setting would appeal to me, but I could not stand the gameplay or the antiquated (yet quaint) graphics.

Other recent games that I've loved have been the Uncharted series, the Portal series, Borderlands, Psychonauts, Costume Quest, and Cave Story.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

zenintrude posted:

Here's my deal: I like games with strong artistic designs/interesting settings, stories being told in non-traditional ways, digestible gaming episodes, and mid-ranged difficulties.

It doesn't quite fit in with the other games you listed, but Bastion has all of the qualities you seem to be seeking, in aRPG format. The levels are relatively short and digestible in several-minute chunks, the difficulty is completely manageable within the game itself as you can choose to handicap your character in return for greater rewards (and undo your choices if you find yourself overwhelmed), the environments are gorgeous, and the narrative is the game's greatest draw.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just popping in to say I'm really enjoying Suikoden, thanks Badguy. Haven't played an RPG in something like 10 years.

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

Manos del Sino posted:

It doesn't quite fit in with the other games you listed, but Bastion has all of the qualities you seem to be seeking, in aRPG format. The levels are relatively short and digestible in several-minute chunks, the difficulty is completely manageable within the game itself as you can choose to handicap your character in return for greater rewards (and undo your choices if you find yourself overwhelmed), the environments are gorgeous, and the narrative is the game's greatest draw.

I second this recommendation for you. Bastion has wonderful and unique story telling , and the combat is very fun.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

fyallm posted:

I am looking for something on xbox360 that is as close to shadow of colossus as possible, but is at least 2 player. MY GIRLFRIEND loves the game, and that is pretty much the only video game she has ever liked (not counting loving Sims), so I am trying to find something like it that we can play together.

Ico was made by the same team as Shadow of the Colossus. You don't kill giants but it has a similar feel, and the non-North American versions and PS3 rerelease have optional coop, but I think it has to be unlocked by beating the game single player (not sure). Sorry, I can't think of anything for the 360, but if you've got a Nintendo console you could play Zelda and take turns.

Speaking of Zelda, is there a Zelda-like game that's all, or mostly, one big dungeon and no overworld? I know Phantom Hourglass had a big hub dungeon but there were other islands/dungeons and I didn't like the timer. I know The Binding of Isaac is similar, but I don't like that it's randomly generated because it takes away from the puzzle solving. I want something with carefully planned puzzles and non-linear progression, sort of like a Metroidvania but with a top-down view instead of side-scrolling.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tre Past Cool! posted:

Speaking of Zelda, is there a Zelda-like game that's all, or mostly, one big dungeon and no overworld? I know Phantom Hourglass had a big hub dungeon but there were other islands/dungeons and I didn't like the timer. I know The Binding of Isaac is similar, but I don't like that it's randomly generated because it takes away from the puzzle solving. I want something with carefully planned puzzles and non-linear progression, sort of like a Metroidvania but with a top-down view instead of side-scrolling.

The best game I've played that gives a feeling of one big dungeon is King's Field. It is however in first person. There are puzzles in the game but not really like what you'd find in Zelda. The game is definitely non-linear because at the end it shows you a video montage of all the spells in the game and I hadn't even heard of most of them. Puzzles are more of a thing in King's Field 2 but instead of one dungeon you're in an 'overworld' of sorts, though its kind of a linear progression that makes it feel less like an overworld. I never beat 2 so I'm not sure how linear it actually is, but since it improves on 1 in most aspects I imagine its fairly non-linear as well.

I tried to find some decent footage of it on youtube but I gave up after about 10 minutes.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 1, 2012

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The best game I've played that gives a feeling of one big dungeon is King's Field. It is however in first person. There are puzzles in the game but not really like what you'd find in Zelda. The game is definitely non-linear because at the end it shows you a video montage of all the spells in the game and I hadn't even heard of most of them. Puzzles are more of a thing in King's Field 2 but instead of one dungeon you're in an 'overworld' of sorts, though its kind of a linear progression that makes it feel less like an overworld. I never beat 2 so I'm not sure how linear it actually is, but since it improves on 1 in most aspects I imagine its fairly non-linear as well.

I tried to find some decent footage of it on youtube but I gave up after about 10 minutes.

This video gives a pretty honest depiction of what you're gonna be doing in the game. As in, walking in circles around an enemy and dying. Using items you have no idea what they do, and walking around wondering where the hell you're supposed to go. I played this game for a long long time when it was released, and I never even got close to beating it, or the first area, or anything really.

I might be sounding kind of harsh on it. It's got some great atmosphere and music. And the world is rather amazing. Hard as balls though. Not surprising, since the company later went on to make Demons Souls.

This is the second game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I didn't want to show early parts of the game because part of the appeal of the game is just how crazy the monsters get. I went through the entire game pretty much thinking "What the gently caress is that thing!?" to nearly every new enemy I encountered. There were some terrific original designs. I guess it boils down to how hard you like your games to be. King's Field never really tells you what's up, but if you like to explore in games you are in for a treat because there are so many goddamn secrets. And the ending is a total :psyduck:, if someone could please explain what the gently caress was going on in the last level I would love to know.

For what its worth, I only played an hour or two of Demon's Souls and honestly I don't see how the games are in any way similar.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 1, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The connection is much more apparent with Dark Souls, which has the same sort of seamless game world as a King's Field. Beyond that, there's a similar stark fantasy aesthetic and slow, tactical approach to combat. I'm a huge fan of King's Field: The Ancient City and feel Dark Souls does everything it does, but better.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 1, 2012

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Could anyone recommend a good automotive racing game for the PC? I'm really jonesing to play something like Gran Turismo 5 or Forza, but my most modern console is my PS2.

Preferably something more sim-ish like GT rather than arcade-y like Need for Speed.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm after a good casual puzzle game (words or numbers) for the PC, preferably available through Steam. I loved SquareLogic and played it for 50 hours, but I want to try something new. I'm looking for a game that presents fairly similar puzzles repeatedly-- I'm not interested in a game like Puzzle Agent that presents different types of puzzles throughout a narrative.

Word puzzles are a bonus (Quarrel looks perfect but it's XBL only), and a game that gets really challenging would be awesome.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
I'm looking for a 3rd person PC action RPG/hack n slash. I know Kingdoms of Amalur is coming out. I've played The Witcher, but the camera movement turned me off. Computer can't run TW2. Should I give Fable another go? The last time I tried playing it, I thought it was slow and shallow.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga immediately pops to mind. It's a game with kind of weird and clunky design elements and it's a bit hard to get used to, but I enjoyed it as a 3rd person action/RPG. Took me about 20 hours for a playthrough and was well-paced and interesting. If you consider it make sure to watch gameplay footage first, though, because it's not for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

TheGame posted:

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga immediately pops to mind. It's a game with kind of weird and clunky design elements and it's a bit hard to get used to, but I enjoyed it as a 3rd person action/RPG. Took me about 20 hours for a playthrough and was well-paced and interesting. If you consider it make sure to watch gameplay footage first, though, because it's not for everyone.
The story and plot-line is pretty streamlined as well. You have some freedom of movement, but generally you're heading from Area X to Area Y as the story progresses, so it can feel a little constricting if you like open-world games.

That said, the story is great, the combat is enjoyable, and the writers clearly have a very dark sense of humor as it's apparent throughout the dialog.

Edit: The initial prologue setting isn't fantastic, but it gets alot better once you hit Broken Valley.