Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

IY. You keep saying V for some reason.
Thanks for catching it. I think it's probably a Roman numerals thing; I never really need to type out IY, but IV is much more common and I guess i've gotten into the habit of it without noticing.

As to Jong-Kook being terrifying, I forget which episode it is, but there's one in particular where his looming and the camera angle make it really great. I'll probably ask for gifs when that part comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

SnowWolf posted:

Speaking of SNSD, they will be appearing on David Letterman tonight, Regis and Kelly tomorrow morning. Wish they were promoting a better song though =/

Here's them arriving in New York City http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwg1cJ7nYP8

I don't really get how K-pop groups can get appearances on shows like Letterman and the like. I understand how it's all about the cash flow but K-pop music isn't really any good, it's like taking a step back towards Bieber and Rebecca Black territory. I always thought of K-pop idols more like TV personalities with the music bit being their way in somehow. Cause they don't write their music, they don't do their own choreography or any of it, they just perform other peoples stuff. And their "albums" are more like singles really. I liked watching IY because of how bizarre it was. And one thing that I totally agreed on in IY was when they were shoveling snow with some soldiers, there was one who told Yuri that he didn't like SNSD as much anymore cause they were milking one of their songs for all it was worth. Which to me it seems like every K-pop group is doing.

With that said, LeeSsang is really good and deserves a spot on Letterman.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

RajCooper posted:

Cause they don't write their music, they don't do their own choreography or any of it, they just perform other peoples stuff.

Doesn't that describe the US Pop Music industry as well? We may not have the eccentric celebrity caste system of the Asian markets, but I'm pretty sure a lot of similar groups over here are just as manufactured. Wasn't that a acknowledged thing with the big 90's boy bands?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

Doesn't that describe the US Pop Music industry as well? We may not have the eccentric celebrity caste system of the Asian markets, but I'm pretty sure a lot of similar groups over here are just as manufactured.

Pretty much. SNSD is "signed" with interscope and/or SM does have some sort of working relationship with them, so I'm sure that played a part in it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

DFu4ever posted:

We may not have the eccentric celebrity caste system of the Asian markets

We don't? If anything, ours is much crazier.

Also K-Pop is great. :mad:

Also also, K-Pop is getting a lot of attention across the world, with the US slowly starting to get on board too. Girls' Generation is making their push towards and American debut, which is why they're making these appearances.

Some other groups are also planning a US launch this year too.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

Doesn't that describe the US Pop Music industry as well? We may not have the eccentric celebrity caste system of the Asian markets, but I'm pretty sure a lot of similar groups over here are just as manufactured. Wasn't that a acknowledged thing with the big 90's boy bands?

Yeah that's what I mean, didn't phrase it well(got the flu so I might not be so coherent) but we've been moving away from it mostly. The ones getting praised as the great artists nowadays mostly write their own music. We had our big pop group era with Westlife and Spice Girls etc, and with us in the west getting so into Kpop it's like we're getting back to the 90's in terms of what we see as worth getting all crazy about. Obviously it applies to american or european groups of the same format as well. I've just kind of gotten the impression that we moved on from it since. But maybe it's just me filtering or something.

e; also I mean no offense to anyone who likes K-pop or pop in general, each to our own

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
US pop is manufactured, but I don't think as heavily. When I think of kpop, the satirical movie Josie and the Pussycats comes to mind.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm more interested in what 2ne1 will have for an American album than the rest. Will I am is helping them out and he's pretty good at what he does!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Not even just US, really. There's certainly big differences in the openly production line-esque schools companies run for this sort of thing, but manufactured pop is pretty common.

Edit: Disney probably comes closest, what with all the old Mickey Mouse Club kids who got famous and did pretty much the same kind of music, and then their more modern tactic of spinning singers and bands off from TV shows and films. And that's current.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

doomisland posted:

I'm more interested in what 2ne1 will have for an American album than the rest. Will I am is helping them out and he's pretty good at what he does!

Let's just hope Will I am's personality doesn't rub of on them, that man must be the least entertaining person working in entertainment.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

doomisland posted:

I love 2NE1 and will be marrying them (polygamy is legal in Korea, yes?), but from what I've heard so far, will.i.am does not seem like a good match for them. It just sounds like the girls are singing rejected Black Eyed Peas songs. :(

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

SnowWolf posted:

Korean fandom is ridiculous in general. Makes for really exciting audience atmosphere at sporting events (Olympics, World Cup). But it can also be dangerous, especially when the anti-fans get involved. This is a great article about Tablo from Epik High and the many people who thought his Stanford degree was a fraud and were hellbent on destroying his reputation

http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2011/julaug/features/tablo.html

My favourite quote from the article.

quote:

Whatbecomes, the leading agitator, was revealed as Eung Kim, a 57-year-old Korean-American businessman living in Chicago. Korean police asked him to report for questioning.

I'm really enjoying Running Man and a lot of the guests but there seems to be this dark side to all this publicity. I can imagine a school girl harrassing her idol but 57 year old businessmen or having people give a celebrity poo poo during at the hospital during the birth of their children sounds absolutely crazy.

To be honest, I'm okay with manufacture KPop. The amount of work and hours the idols put in make up for them not writing their own material or their own dance moves.

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
There are a lot of barriers to entry in the US music market. I think the major hurdle for SNSD is that all mainstream artists sing in English, and East Asian accents sound awful to us. Tiffany and Jessica might be able to help a bit but I mean... the lyrics to The Boys literally make me cringe.

I'll watch them on Letterman because I'm curious as to how they'll be received but I think their time is better spent in Japan and Southeast Asia.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Oh god, bad news for Gary: Jihyo is dating the CEO of her agency, CJES. Officially acknowledged by the agency. :cry:
Dispatch covered it: http://www.dispatch.co.kr/news/detail.asp?idx=7859&category=2&subcategory=49
Not sure if that kind of paparazzi journalism is legal or what, but Dispatch is famous for getting pics of stars dating. They seem to only publicly release pics when given the official go-ahead, so maybe that's how they get around the legal troubles?

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 1, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

This is the worst day of my life!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Maybe she was just cheating on him while he was in London. :smith:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Please have Gary in your prayers tonight

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I wonder if they're going to continue on with the gag. I think they should really ham it up, especially now that the cat's out of the bag.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lyer posted:

I wonder if they're going to continue on with the gag. I think they should really ham it up, especially now that the cat's out of the bag.

I don't see how they can. Koreans are savvy netizens and if this hit the internet, they will know about this situation. Koreans are also kinda crazy so I can only see this leading to a lot of anti fans for Ji Hyo where the worst case scenario might force her off the show.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

TV Zombie posted:

I don't see how they can. Koreans are savvy netizens and if this hit the internet, they will know about this situation. Koreans are also kinda crazy so I can only see this leading to a lot of anti fans for Ji Hyo where the worst case scenario might force her off the show.

You see, that's what's likely to happen because the fans are batshit insane. But if they did go 110% with the Ji Hyo-Gary stuff from now on, that would be funny as hell precisely because the fans are that insane. And now I have explained a joke.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

TV Zombie posted:

Well, this is slightly different from IC, but when the IC members had girlfriends, the rest of the members would always rub on them, make jokes, etc. And once PMS (hahahah just realized Myungsoo's initials is that)and YJS got married, they would crack marriage jokes. So maybe the Monday Couple will turn into some kind of Monday Affair thing?

Also, regarding anti-fans: Remember that Jihyo is not an idol, per say. Movie actors/actresses in Korea seem to be more like Hollywood in that their love life is not really tightly controlled and made jealous of. There a crapload of movie-star couples that are still popular, and the significant others of the popular stars don't get hated on for it. Perhaps that's because the average age of a movie star fan is more likely to be higher than that of an idol, and therefore more mature? I always felt that the rabid anti-dating fans were of the idol group type. Yeah, you get devastated, crying fans when some male star gets married, but I don't think the SO of the star got death threats or whatever...

Shin-Sae-Gyung is dating someone, as I mentioned before, but she is still popular as ever.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Archer2338 posted:

Oh god, bad news for Gary: Jihyo is dating the CEO of her agency, CJES. Officially acknowledged by the agency. :cry:

I declare this a thread tragedy. This is now a page of mourning.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Also, regarding anti-fans: Remember that Jihyo is not an idol, per say. Movie actors/actresses in Korea seem to be more like Hollywood in that their love life is not really tightly controlled and made jealous of. There a crapload of movie-star couples that are still popular, and the significant others of the popular stars don't get hated on for it. Perhaps that's because the average age of a movie star fan is more likely to be higher than that of an idol, and therefore more mature? I always felt that the rabid anti-dating fans were of the idol group type. Yeah, you get devastated, crying fans when some male star gets married, but I don't think the SO of the star got death threats or whatever...

Yeah, this is pretty much the truth. As far as fans are apparently concerned:

Jessica kissing some guy in a drama: not ok
Jihyo in a 69 with Jo Insung in a movie: totally ok

So I really don't think anyone's gonna have a problem with her dating.

That being said...I don't really think it's ever a good idea for someone to date their boss. Their relationship probably isn't going to go anywhere in the long term, and afterwards there's a chance that this might cause some problems for her career-wise.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

Jihyo in a 69 with Jo Insung in a movie: totally ok

:stare: What movie was this?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

쌍화점, and I think the English title is "Icy Flower" or something. the English title is "A Frozen Flower".
LOTS of sex scenes. Jihyo is the queen while Jo-Insung is the head palace guard or something. Joo-Jinmo is the king, and apparently unable to sire a heir, so he orders Insung to impregnate the queen. Oh, and apparently, a love triangle forms, so there are homosexual bits in there as well. The movie, while quite good as a piece of cinema, is more remembered for either the homosexuality themes or the sex scenes...
EDIT: English wikipedia has an article on it that summarizes the movie pretty well; link below.

Jo-Insung has a crazy number of fans, but while they WERE jealous of Jihyo, she never mentioned getting death threats or whatever. Either his fans accepted the fact that this was a movie, or they just liked the fact that he showed everything but his actual penis. :v:

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 1, 2012

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think it's translated as Frozen Flower and I think I need to rent this movie or something.

Edit:drat. I was so sure that you didn't get the title right

Selane
May 19, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Frozen_Flower

I watched it just cause I wanted to check out one of her movies, so yeah, I too was kind of surprised at the 23987239874 sex scenes(not that I'm complaining). Like I said earlier, though, I thought it was pretty drat good.

As for Jo Insung's fangirls, they were probably more preoccupied about the gay sex with whatshisname than whatever he did with Jihyo. :v:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Jamesman posted:

I think it's called A Frozen Flower. I stumbled across it and :stare: sums up my initial reaction as well. Definitely get to see Ji Hyo in a bit of a different light, that's for sure.

EDIT: So beaten...

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Episode 79 is out and it's really getting intriguing in terms of how the game is playing out. We know about as much about what's going on as the participants.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 1, 2012

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

SNSD is about to sing on Letterman on the east coast.

ChevyY?
May 11, 2006

He may be small but only in size.
Letterman saying "thank you" in Korean did it for me. :)

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Late night TV show sets are not big enough to accommodate a 9 person dance routine. That being said they somehow managed to squeeze in there with them running into the house band set once or twice I think. They should have performed outside to congratulate Bill on his FG.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Performance on Youtube. Getting close to 2,000 likes after 20 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9yFjodDtM

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

EDIT: I didn't know where else to put this.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 1, 2012

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Why does Paul Shaffer need so many keyboards anyway?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
The best part of the Letterman performance is how the cameramen and editor just kept putting in focused shots of Sooyoung, even when other people were singing, or when she was in the back. I guess she made an impression.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I thought it was a good performance and I actually liked the remix. The space seemed ridiculously cramped for nine girls though. I have no idea how people unfamiliar with K-Pop would react to it, though, but Letterman seemed impressed.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

El Graplurado posted:

Why does Paul Shaffer need so many keyboards anyway?

I'm a keyboardist and a fan of Shaffer's (in fact I am his evil twin) and the answer is "because". He uses every single one in a single show. To make the rig smaller would compromise the sound quality and complicate things, especially when you need to work live, cannot wait an extra second to change a sound. (Kinda how guitarists and bassists often have several guitars with them for a gig)

If I remember an interview from 2009, he's got a Kurzweil K2000 because he likes the quality instruments it replicates, he keeps an old Oberheim because of the great brass which no other board can reproduce, he's got a Roland JV or two in the rack because they have good sound-banks for orchestral stuff and underneath the big Roland Fantom G8 which is his main keyboard and controller there's still a Hammond B3 organ.

e: Man.. she's still going to be the same JiHyo. Just that they're probably going to make fun of her for that, and give Gary a lot of cute new material to use. Fandom is a helluva different thing in Asia.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 1, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well I guess Korea really is crazy. I read on the iSubs forums that a bunch of RM fans have been contacting SBS, demanding Ji Hyo be kicked off the show now because of this new relationship info. :psyduck:

Edit: And apparently a lot of people posting on iSubs claim they're going to stop watching the show because of this. Seriously, the Monday Couple thing is cute and all, but it was never the reason I enjoyed the show, and I certainly never thought the two of them were really in love or anything. This is mind-boggling.

qbert fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I had a big thing I wanted to type, but it can just be summed up as: people be crazy. I honestly wonder if it's just hyperbole and people are just bitching that their fictional relationship between TV stars isn't real. Maybe I'm just too used to reading the mmo hmo subforum and seeing this type of "I quit" stuff.

Call me naive, but I thought this crazy poo poo was limited to mostly Asia. I really hope RM sticks with Ji Hyo, she deserves happiness and a spot on a killer TV show.