Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Gnaghi posted:

If it cracks along a weld can it be rewelded? Cause getting a frame for a 2011 bike would suck.

Everything can be repaired, but a cracked aluminum frame would probably not be worth it. There's a good chance the entire frame would need to be annealed, straightened and heat treated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
A 50 degree day in Wisconsin on January 31st and my drat battery is dead. :mad:

I guess I need a tender after all...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Meh, its salty out. I thought about taking out the 250 today, but I didnt want to deal with the salt.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Meh, its salty out. I thought about taking out the 250 today, but I didnt want to deal with the salt.

Similar here, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow and then be warm again on Thursday so that's the day.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
My area got 1 inch of snow and the day before salt trucks were everywhere. I wanted to run them off the road.

Somehow today it was 63 degrees so I took the 636 out after work for the first nice run of 2063 2012 after getting it back together. I can't believe I wanted to sell it for a wr250. It ticks like crazy but drat did I forget what power is.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Not sure if I'm being emo because of winter and long hours at work, but I think I am getting a bit bored of casual motorcycling. I don't have a whole ton of time for big exciting trips these days, and my personal limits on local twisty roads seem to oscillate between infraction and prison. I'm torn between moving toward leisure-cruising and buying something so wholly unsuitable for existence that I can challenge myself at legal speeds (e.g., sidecar or moped). My WR250R and a TW200 I once had are both too competent. How have you all handled such phases in your motorcycling career?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Not sure if I'm being emo because of winter and long hours at work, but I think I am getting a bit bored of casual motorcycling. I don't have a whole ton of time for big exciting trips these days, and my personal limits on local twisty roads seem to oscillate between infraction and prison. I'm torn between moving toward leisure-cruising and buying something so wholly unsuitable for existence that I can challenge myself at legal speeds (e.g., sidecar or moped). My WR250R and a TW200 I once had are both too competent. How have you all handled such phases in your motorcycling career?

I started doing supermoto races. $90 for a trackday/race and it felt like all new doors opening.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

MotoMind posted:

I am going through a little of that lately too. What keeps me going is those days when I get to meet up with some good riding buddies and we hit some roads that are too far for me to go to usually. It inevitably turns into a epic adventure (last time = 14 hours), riding home in the dark, soaked in rain, but it ignites the passion again. The last one was probably 2 months ago, but another one is coming up soon.

That and track days.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I go through that quite regularly. I think the solution is to remind yourself what got you into motorcycling in the first place, and get back to that. God help you if you just bought a bike to commute and save gas.

All of my riding buddies have either moved away, sold their bikes off, and one has gone track-only, so I've been trolling the local motorcycle forums looking for events and group rides I can participate in.

It's tough, and it sucks, but I quite literally don't know what I would do without a bike, so I push on and it gets fun again.

Late night advrider perusing sessions always make me question my lot in life though, that place is dangerous

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Offroad only dirt bikes (+ Racing) and Track bikes.

Last year I sold both my street bikes because of three big reasons:

1) Feeling burnt out on local roads
2) Not wanting to push the fun factor on the street anymore
3) Feeling bad commuting on fantastic performance motorcycles

So I bought some dirt bikes, a track bike, and am building a supermoto only bike.

Take it off the streets and get something that makes you giggle or happy when you ride it on legal roads, but isn't a go straight to jail machine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's my other solution: I need a DRZSM

Unfortunately any offroad riding is like 3 hours away from me

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was sitting in a class staring at the world maps and thought "Hey, I could just ride up to Alaska, get on a ferry across the Bering strait, and just ride to Europe!" Not quite that simple, I soon found out.

http://www.angusadventures.com/beringstrait.html

Short version: There are no ferries. Or boats. There's not even a loving road between the two for 3000 miles. So if you go in the summer, you'd have to ride through bogs and swamps. If you ride in the winter when everything's solid, You get to enjoy Chukotka's -50 temps, with windchill knocking it down to -100 sometimes. Coldest loving place aside from Antarctica. Then to get into Russia, you need a visa, a super-special Chukotka guest pass(thanks Cold war!), GPS permits, and permission from the coast guard.

So basically what I'm saying is, who wants to go with me? I'm gonna put knobbies on my Duc, someone can borrow my 70's 2-stroke if that's running in a year's time. Pack some warm clothes, too.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Motorcycles are pretty strange when it comes to adventure travel. You really only "get out there" on a motorcycle when you're traveling through impoverished countries (Africa) where the infrastructure is poor, but there's enough demand to that you have petrol stops in the middle of nowhere. In the contiguous US there is just too much commerce to make an adventure anything but a willful avoidance of nearby gas stations. Up north the geography largely prevents overland resupply, and the routes that do exist are well-traveled. A Rokon with air-dropped fuel drums might take you places, but then you're launching a campaign, not a motorcycle trip.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think the term "Adventure Travel" is too broad. It is used to describe everything from "once or twice in a lifetime, gosh this is fun" which could be as simple as taking a Harley down Route 66 for some people, to a megatransect of Asia and Africa naked on a gas powered unicycle. The latter type would be better described as "Adversity Travel". The sort of willful avoidance MotoMind mentioned, of any and all comfort or convenience (other than a motorbike and money for fuel) simply for the sake of increasing the adversity.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Motorcycling just doesn't follow the model of the age of exploration very well; it breaks some boundaries of what we traditionally call adventure. Motorcycles are a vehicle to explore the civilized world, or the boundaries of civilization and nature, but not nature itself. A person can haul weeks of food into the unknown and go one-on-one with the wild, but on a motorcycle either you're sucking gas from the tit every other day or you hosed up. It's a very artificial and bounded experience. If we get powerful solar panels and electric storage systems that would start to open doors for "sustainable" journeys. 75% travel time and 25% regeneration would be fine by me. Right now it would cost about 20K to get enough lightweight folding panels to go 50/50 on an electric bicycle.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MotoMind posted:

Motorcycling just doesn't follow the model of the age of exploration very well; it breaks some boundaries of what we traditionally call adventure. Motorcycles are a vehicle to explore the civilized world, or the boundaries of civilization and nature, but not nature itself. A person can haul weeks of food into the unknown and go one-on-one with the wild, but on a motorcycle either you're sucking gas from the tit every other day or you hosed up. It's a very artificial and bounded experience. If we get powerful solar panels and electric storage systems that would start to open doors for "sustainable" journeys. 75% travel time and 25% regeneration would be fine by me. Right now it would cost about 20K to get enough lightweight folding panels to go 50/50 on an electric bicycle.

You could do all of this on a bicycle.

Of course modern machinery designed for use in developed environments is of course not going to lend itself well to extended use in undeveloped environments.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You could do all of this on a bicycle.

Of course modern machinery designed for use in developed environments is of course not going to lend itself well to extended use in undeveloped environments.

Isn't there some guy doing just that? Travelling around Africa or something on a bicycle? Or there was, I swear I saw them mention it in an episode of Long Way Down.

On a different topic:

My license plate and registration sticker (which was attached to it on its little plastic case) got stolen today while I was getting smokes for my flatmate - this took me a whole 3 minutes to do. Who the hell takes that kind of poo poo? And why didn't they take my helmet? I can't imagine it would be hard to pop my seat up and slide the $300.00 helmet off...

Friggen annoying, hope they get caught (reported it) because it's stealing from the state government as its a number plate, pretty decent fine I'd imagine.

(I did get a new number plate btw, $30 later).

deadlinguo
Nov 17, 2004
when the revolution comes
I'm going to pick up a used bike on Thursday or Friday and ride it back home, about a 100 mile trip. It has no license plate and the registration expired at least a year ago. I'll have the title with me, at least. Am I going to get hassled by the 5-0? I feel like it's one of those situations where the cop can gently caress you over if he wants to, but usually won't. I'm in Virginia if it matters.

deadlinguo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 1, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

deadlinguo posted:

I'm going to pick up a used bike on Thursday or Friday and ride it back home, about a 100 mile trip. It has no license plate and the registration expired at least a year ago. I'll have the title with me, at least. Am I going to get hassled by the 5-0? I feel like it's one of those situations where the cop can gently caress you over if he wants to, but usually won't. I'm in Virginia if it matters.

Depends on your luck. I rode a DRZ for over a year with no plate after two vibrated off and never got pulled over or hassled. My friend borrowed it for a day and got pulled over twice.

Just ride sensible and don't be an rear end if you get pulled over. 100 miles you should be fine.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I'm pretty sure most states have a grace period during which you can use the signed-over title as pseudo registration.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

deadlinguo posted:

Well, stay off highways (I would recommend this with a DRZ, anyway), and don't ride like a dick, and you should be fine as long as you can present a title and bill of sale on the off chance a cop pulls you over (though I'm fully away that VA cops are notorious). Ride like a dick and you might get ticketed for both. Are you insured? I'd be more concerned about that than no registration since I think the former is an automatic impound.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Endless Mike posted:

Well, stay off highways (I would recommend this with a DRZ, anyway), and don't ride like a dick, and you should be fine as long as you can present a title and bill of sale on the off chance a cop pulls you over (though I'm fully away that VA cops are notorious). Ride like a dick and you might get ticketed for both. Are you insured? I'd be more concerned about that than no registration since I think the former is an automatic impound.

No insurance is a much huger thing in VA. Keep the expired plate on there so as not to arouse undue suspicion, have a valid insurance card and the title, and be open and forthcoming about your ignorance when you get pulled over.

I got a custom plate for my bike and rode with a piece of paper from the DMV in my document bag with the insurance card for almost two weeks. Got pulled twice in that time, explained what was going on, and the cops were cool with it. It apparently goes a really long way to have the "M" endorsement and MSF card with you, too; shows responsibility or something.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
I was pulled over on my way home from buying my DRZ, which the owner had kept the old plates to. I showed the cop the signed title, plus my license with an M endorsement and my still-active insurance from my previous bike and was let go. He just advised that I print out a temporary registration when I got home.

Though for about 80% of the time I had that bike I kept the plate in my backpack, because it would rattle loose in about 2 days of riding, and I was far too lazy to make a decently permanent solution for that. Somehow I never got pulled over again.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Not sure if I'm being emo because of winter and long hours at work, but I think I am getting a bit bored of casual motorcycling.

I've kind of switched from being 100% motorcycle all the time to a hybrid bicycle/motorcycle system. I don't own a car so no trackbikes for me :(. My bicycle is definitely more fun for short hops (under 30 miles and commuting to work) because I can push myself and not break any laws. The motorcycle gets used for longer fun trips, "performance" riding, trackdays, and just when I want to feel like a boss.

Whenever I get bored of one, I just use the other more. After being in France for four months with just my bicycle I was really ready to get back on a motorbike, and I'm sure the opposite would have been true had I just had my motorcycle.

I suppose that learning new applications for your vehicles can be fun, too. My motorcycles got more fun when I discovered track riding, and my cyclocross bicycle got more fun when I got more into trail riding.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've kind of switched from being 100% motorcycle all the time to a hybrid bicycle/motorcycle system. I don't own a car so no trackbikes for me :(.

The whole reason I bought a cheap little truck was to get to the track, otherwise I would have stayed carless. If you don't currently have a car it will cost you a poo poo ton of insurance money though because of the gap in auto insurance. Like in my case $1200 for the first year on a $2k truck, though it's since dropped to $800. I need to move to New Hampshire. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I got a custom plate for my bike and rode with a piece of paper from the DMV in my document bag with the insurance card for almost two weeks. Got pulled twice in that time, explained what was going on, and the cops were cool with it. It apparently goes a really long way to have the "M" endorsement and MSF card with you, too; shows responsibility or something.
Hm. I should find my MSF card...

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've kind of switched from being 100% motorcycle all the time to a hybrid bicycle/motorcycle system. I don't own a car so no trackbikes for me :(. My bicycle is definitely more fun for short hops (under 30 miles and commuting to work) because I can push myself and not break any laws. The motorcycle gets used for longer fun trips, "performance" riding, trackdays, and just when I want to feel like a boss.

This is probably where I'm headed, I just don't want to be another one of those guys who betrays motorcycling and becomes a bike nerd. It was a pleasant surprise that my 70s roadbike, like a KLR, has a delightfully flexible frame and tendency to headshake. Makes downhill turns so much more interesting. :3:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
If you're gonna have the bawls to do 188 and outrun the cops, own up and don't try to argue that your bike is more burnt sienna than mandarin orange. Oh, and you might want to take 2 seconds and scan the skies for small aircraft...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120203/NEWS01/302030030/188-mph-motorcyclist-convicted

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

If you're gonna have the bawls to do 188 and outrun the cops, own up and don't try to argue that your bike is more burnt sienna than mandarin orange. Oh, and you might want to take 2 seconds and scan the skies for small aircraft...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120203/NEWS01/302030030/188-mph-motorcyclist-convicted

I find that mention of the biker being cited for going 205 amusing because that cite was handed out to an RC 51.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

I find that mention of the biker being cited for going 205 amusing because that cite was handed out to an RC 51.

I find it amusing that with FLIR, GPS, video, and all the whizbang equipment at their disposal, these guys are getting nailed with a handheld stopwatch.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Also a plane...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

He would've had a better chance riding a sumo/dual sport into the woods for tree cover.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

MotoMind posted:

This is probably where I'm headed, I just don't want to be another one of those guys who betrays motorcycling and becomes a bike nerd. It was a pleasant surprise that my 70s roadbike, like a KLR, has a delightfully flexible frame and tendency to headshake. Makes downhill turns so much more interesting. :3:

It's okay, I sold my fixed-gear bicycle to pay for a MSF course. Haven't really rode a bicycle since I got a moto.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After this winter of motorcycle soul searching and trying to understand my place in the world, I believe it is time I need a 690 SMC.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Last week I was in LA and I did this http://g.co/maps/uyupw on this http://i.imgur.com/8GhVu.jpg

it was

SO

GOOD :keke:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just rode home in 5 inches of snow. What takes me 10 minutes took 1 hour of 10mph feet on the floor riding at a near constant 45° angle.

Never again.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Frankston posted:

Just rode home in 5 inches of snow. What takes me 10 minutes took 1 hour of 10mph feet on the floor riding at a near constant 45° angle.

Never again.

You're gonna be saying the same thing after you do it again tomorrow when you wake up and go "Honestly, that really wasn't THAT bad!"

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

invision posted:

You're gonna be saying the same thing after you do it again tomorrow when you wake up and go "Honestly, that really wasn't THAT bad!"

Pfft, if it's still like this tomorrow I'm not going to work. To hell with that.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

kylej posted:

After this winter of motorcycle soul searching and trying to understand my place in the world, I believe it is time I need a 690 SMC.

You've soul searched well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm starting to get the jitters, it's been almost 2 weeks now since I rode last. I really hate car pooling even though it's efficient. I've gotten my state refund but I'm still waiting on my federal. I did some extra work last week and this weekend to try and extend my bike budget a bit. I have a very scary question to ask now.

How much do 690 SMC's go for in central/socal. I doubt I'll end up with one, but I might be able to stretch the budget and make it work. I think the DRZ would be a better fit for me, but god I love the orange team....

On a side note, I showed my wife some video's of DRZ/690's on trails and she is suddenly pushing for me to get another sportbike. Has anybody else had this odd phenomenon occur? A month ago it was, you don't need a 150 mph bike get something more practical. Now it's more like; you're going to kill yourself on that, wouldn't you rather have another R1?
:wtc: