Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

thatbastardken posted:

Did whoever was manning that detonator just kill tens of thousands of civilians to get a clear field of fire for the Coordinator and his bodyguards? :ohdear:

A very good question. Yes. I'm padding this out so it's less obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Pretty sure that was the implication in one of the previous turns' fluff pieces.

This is like a choose your own adventure book.

Turn to page 36 if you want to turn around and blast the Jenner.

Turn to page 50 if you want to continue further into the building.

The former seems doable. Far as I can tell the CF of the building will absorb any of the damage he can do to me, and since he's outside he can't do any physical attacks to me, and unless there's a secret basement below me, he can't actually hurt me and I'm just losing a little bit of time.

The latter means making more PSRs and Taku will likely run in behind me, where I think he can do damage since I think shots fired from within the same building are resolved differently. Yorinaga will, of course, move to block the path into the next building.

There's probably other possible moves I'm not seeing right now, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Later, the entire city explodes. Oh well.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MVPs: Korean Roberts and Ami.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:gonk: Where the gently caress did that Hunchback come from!?

Yorinaga is waiting for you to come out of that building. All your choices are bad from here on out. I wonder what happens when you activate jumpjets inside an office building?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Yorinaga is waiting for you to come out of that building. All your choices are bad from here on out. I wonder what happens when you activate jumpjets inside an office building?

Bad things.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
The building DFAs you :clint:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And looking closer at the end state we have our clansman stuck in a building, a Jenner on his butt and a Warhammer and a Hunchback waiting if he plows through. Oh dearie me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

And looking closer at the end state we have our clansman stuck in a building, a Jenner on his butt and a Warhammer and a Hunchback waiting if he plows through.

He has more than two options though, and one of them could win him the game.

VVV Unlikely, but we may be seeing different potential moves.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 1, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

He has more than two options though, and one of them could win him the game.

It could also murder him horribly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
PTN, I don't know if the response in the thread had anything to do with the continuation of the Korean Robert Saga, but I choose to believe that it did, and so would like to thank you.

Korean Robert is awesome and Rosinski Ami is awesome and the fact that two pieces of fluff can evoke an emotional response strong enough to make me fist-pump and exclaim audibly upon learning that Korean Robert survived is something to be proud of. Thus you, too, are awesome.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

PoptartsNinja posted:

the brave little office chair

Should probably be added to the OpFor MVP list.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Now this is going to sound crazy, but if our intrepid hero leaves the map while hidden inside a building, does he count as "Escaped", for a win, or "Fled", for a loss? Do the Rules-as-Written even allow for a unit to leave the map of its own volition (hence why reaching the water hexes counts as victory)? Unless I misunderstood the statement about one possible choice winning the scenario to mean that something could be done to win next turn when it really meant only one of many options is likely to lead to victory.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, by 'win' I mean 'put himself into a position where he can deliver his entire arsenal and suffer minimal retaliation' while setting himself up for another 5+ MASC escape on the turn after.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DCMS Honorable Mention: Korean Robert, Rosinski Ami, and the Brave Little Office Chair. I don't care that they had no impact on the battle itself, they are awesome. I will not hear any argument about this. :colbert:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Where's John Madden to tell us about this Pick-6-in-the-making that's rumblin, bumblin, stumblin down the sideline with only two more blockers to beat?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
To continue the football metaphors, I desperately want Goonstar to Tebow it. By which I mean they do kinda meh for most of the game then pull a win out of their rear end at the very end.

Go forth, noble Space Tebow, and win one for the ilKhan :patriot:

Also because the Clans are the best :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bad Moon posted:

To continue the football metaphors, I desperately want Goonstar to Tebow it. By which I mean they do kinda meh for most of the game then pull a win out of their rear end at the very end.

...and then get destroyed in the playoffs? Yeah, I can run with that metaphor.

Does that make Victor Tom Brady? Rabidly beloved by his local fanbase and casual fans but despised mightily by partisans of other teams Houses? 'Cause I'm a Patriots fan, I can run with that.

Hell, I bet Victor would have fallen to the final round in the draft too before he became a star.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, by 'win' I mean 'put himself into a position where he can deliver his entire arsenal and suffer minimal retaliation' while setting himself up for another 5+ MASC escape on the turn after.

It's late and I'm too tired to do the math, but can't he turn left, exit the building, and have a shot at unloading into Yorinaga's back?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Does that make Victor Tom Brady? Rabidly beloved by his local fanbase and casual fans but despised mightily by partisans of other teams Houses? 'Cause I'm a Patriots fan, I can run with that.

Hell, I bet Victor would have fallen to the final round in the draft too before he became a star.

Tom Brady didn't build his career by riding the coattails of players way more talented than him and taking credit for it. That's right, Victor is Trent Dilfer.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Tom Brady is actually good at things, while Victor is good at being in the center of people who are actually competent.

Edit: Beaten by those industrious geniuses at DI

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why does the MASC role keep going up? Seems like a few updates ago it was just snake eyes.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Turn around walk out of the building and go behind Yorinaga and kill him (without using MASC). Or go out the building, kill the jenner, then jump over/run around Yorinaga.

Do not continue through the building.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So once a roll is made for a building, does a roll need to be made for every tile in that building that is traversed or is the whole building deemed stable enough to hold a mech's weight?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Arglebargle III posted:

Why does the MASC role keep going up? Seems like a few updates ago it was just snake eyes.

The more turns in a row you use it, the system is more and more likely to jam. I think you're limited to 5 turns before another use would be an 'autofail' so you're not allowed to.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's only 8MP to go to 0620 and torso-twist and backshot Yorinaga, but I think you might still be in LOS of the Jenner. Still, full barrage on Yori's back sounds impossible to relinquish. After that, you're out in the open field.

Edit: drat, destroyed mechs count as rough terrain, so 0520. And I don't think that works out so well.

Edit 2, More Editer: can he jump to 0620 or is there no jumping in a building?

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 1, 2012

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I'm sure PTN's latest post about setting up for a MASC, unloading his entire arsenal and suffering minimal retaliation is about alphaing Yorinaga somehow. Not sure if that has to be from 0620, though it'd be best of course.

That will bring the awesome chain of events to: kicking down the Atlas, slapping Yorinaga in the face, running away from him then ninjaing him and planting a katana in his back (or neatly decapitating him) if it's successful.

Though killing the ramen guy sounds fun. Good thing the other mechs aren't chasing yet (guarding Takashi's body?), otherwise just using the building for defensive purposes would be completely unworth it. Not that PTN won't probably pull anything if DWM stalls.

Hmmm... once again my love of collateral damage (wanting to fire on random buildings when I have the time, heat and energy weapons) appears to be oddly prescient. Oh well, not like I would've ordered the specific targeting of that building and besides it'd be against both clanner and IS ethics.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 1, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DCMS Honorable Mention: Korean Robert, Rosinski Ami, and the Brave Little Office Chair. I don't care that they had no impact on the battle itself, they are awesome. I will not hear any argument about this. :colbert:

Even as someone who wants all the spotlights on the clanners, I can agree with that.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Aaaand, cue cheesy romantic theme!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Edit 2, More Editer: can he jump to 0620 or is there no jumping in a building?

I'm pretty sure he can jump. None of the jump hexes pass through a building, so yes. He can. He can jump, largely make himself unhittable by S3, and get a full rear salvo on Yorinaga.

Do it!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I guess when they go to Turtle Bay for their honeymoon, this thread will devolve into tears.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TildeATH posted:

I guess when they go to Turtle Bay for their honeymoon, this thread will devolve into tears.

Btech goons are a bunch of romantic suckers at heart, who knew? :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the Yakuza Hunchback that they clearly don't have finally showing up like promised. Now to see if those Yakuza SRM infantry show up around the river like it was hinted at as well.

This is going to get interesting real quick... So will our intrepid Star Captain continue through the building and possibly get intercepted by Yorinaga? Or will he go around to try and disable Yorinaga so he can make a better break for it? Only time will tell.

And yes, the saga of Korean Robert and Rosinski Ami has captured the imagination of the thread. I'm fully expecting a satisfying ending for the two of them eventually, PTN. With your fluff writing skills, it shouldn't be too hard.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm pretty sure he can jump. None of the jump hexes pass through a building, so yes. He can. He can jump, largely make himself unhittable by S3, and get a full rear salvo on Yorinaga.

Do it!

:doh: I completely forgot jumping out of buildings is totally a thing you can do.

Still going to be sucking up an ERPPC hit and some 10+ shots from the S3, though.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Wait, is there a reason he can't hang in this building and take potshots at everyone around him? It gives them a turn to tighten the cordon around the building, but he does some damage and resets his MASC rolls for a burst out afterward?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was watching Animaniacs with my niece right before checking the thread.

Good Idea: Jump right behind Yorinaga and blast in his back side. You'll take a few pot shots from the Jenner but probably be able to get away barring a hit to the Head.

Bad Idea: Jump ON Yorinaga. The Jenner can't hit you, but Yorinaga might (?). This would almost certainly open up your Right Leg Armor.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Can't he just jump to 0518 or 0618 in order to take shots at Yorinaga with no one able to shoot back at him?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

DTurtle posted:

Can't he just jump to 0518 or 0618 in order to take shots at Yorinaga with no one able to shoot back at him?

Yorinaga's Warhammer can flip its arms, which means a jumping battlemech + running Yorinaga equals 5s to hit.

That's right, he's got an 83% chance of hitting you even when flipping his arms behind himself to blast a mech that has jumped behind him while his mech was running at full speed. I hate this guy.

That is, if Warhammers can flip arms, maybe not--doesn't look like a Rifleman, and that's always been how I knew.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TildeATH posted:

Yorinaga's Warhammer can flip its arms, which means a jumping battlemech + running Yorinaga equals 5s to hit.

That's right, he's got an 83% chance of hitting you even when flipping his arms behind himself to blast a mech that has jumped behind him while his mech was running at full speed. I hate this guy.

That is, if Warhammers can flip arms, maybe not--doesn't look like a Rifleman, and that's always been how I knew.

If he doesn't have lower arm or hand actuators, he can flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

thatbastardken posted:

A horrifying thought occurs: If these buildings are occupied, what about the ones that were demolished to provide the killing fields? Did whoever was manning that detonator just kill tens of thousands of civilians to get a clear field of fire for the Coordinator and his bodyguards? :ohdear:

Counting Coup was an inside job! Loose C-bills!

No, seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the subject of a conspiracy theory at some point in this timeline. Either that or the DC military will be really brazen about "Of course we killed all these tens of thousands of people! The coordinator's life was at risk, any true patriot would gladly lay down their life for his firing lanes!"

Then again considering how delicate the Combine might be after this, and how hostile any new government might be to the old coordinator (especially if "he failed in battle! No true Samurai!" is part of their justification to the public), mocking the deaths of civilians seems like the wrong way to go.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 1, 2012

• Locked thread