Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I'm finally getting around to playing The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and then TES: Oblivion

First, is it worth playing the preceding games? I watched a few minutes of Daggerfall on Youtube. It looks like a game I would have loved when it came out, but it would have to be particularly fun and well-written to occupy my time now.

Otherwise, just looking for any tips on III and IV, particularly pitfalls (e.g. unfun builds) that can sully the experience.

Edit: Saw some Morrowind tips several pages back. Still looking for Oblivion.

Regarding Might & Magic: Dark Messiah, I just played through this for the first time and had a lot of fun. I got a lot of enjoyment from replaying encounters several times to find the most "fun" way to kill enemies, usually with environmental damage. The game is much more fun if you can find a good weapon, which usually necessitates finding the secret areas where they are hidden. Also, the Lightning Shield is amazing. Personally, I built up most of the melee skills, Stealth 2 (which lets you backstab), and enough magic to get the heal spell.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Oblivion's level scaling can be a little wonkey, so it may become much harder over time for builds without much combat ability. You only level when you gain a certain number of skillups in your primary skills. So if you don't want to fight strong enemies, take primary skills that you are not going to be using.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Zaldron posted:

Oblivion's level scaling can be a little wonkey, so it may become much harder over time for builds without much combat ability. You only level when you gain a certain number of skillups in your primary skills. So if you don't want to fight strong enemies, take primary skills that you are not going to be using.

Yeah, try not to level up, because that just makes monsters more spongy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and then TES: Oblivion

First, is it worth playing the preceding games? I watched a few minutes of Daggerfall on Youtube. It looks like a game I would have loved when it came out, but it would have to be particularly fun and well-written to occupy my time now.

Not really; I'd consider Morrowind to be the first one that's really playable. The games are all set in different regions of the world and are separated by years (or in some cases entire eras), so plotwise they're very loosely connected; each game will generally have some books lying around that summarize the important parts of previous games.

quote:

Otherwise, just looking for any tips on III and IV, particularly pitfalls (e.g. unfun builds) that can sully the experience.

Edit: Saw some Morrowind tips several pages back. Still looking for Oblivion.

First of all, both games are pretty rough around the edges but have huge modding communities. There's a few guides on recommended ways to mod them up floating around; pretty sure there's threads here for both Morrowind and Oblivion, and here is a work-in-progress modpack of mine for Morrowind.

For Oblivion specifically, a lot of the combat-related pitfalls no longer apply; however, the thing most likely to screw you unexpectedly is aggressive level scaling. Basically, the game scales every encounter to your level, regardless of your actual skills; if you gain a few levels consisting mostly of non-combat skills (or even gain levels in combat skills too quickly), you will rapidly find yourself overmatched.

There's various spergy ways around this, typically involving making the skills you're least likely to use your primary skills, but the easiest way is to just install something like Seorin's Leveling System that calculates your level based solely on your combat skills, or something that greatly reins in the level scaling of enemies in general, or both.

Both games have unofficial patches. You want these. Oblivion additionally has "operation optimization", which is a purely performance-oriented patch and makes a noticeable difference. You want this too.

As for the actual gameplay (as opposed to the modding) - both games are about 5% main quest and 95% sidequests and exploration. Take your time. Explore side areas, join a guild or two, go off the beaten track. If you just rush through the main storyline the game will be over pretty fast and you'll miss out on most of the actual content.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 17, 2012

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
I think here's a good place to remind people of the wiki at beforeiplay.com because every few pages someone asks about Morrowind or Oblivion (and why shouldn't they? People should play them).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Derek Dominoe posted:

Ostensibly, Daggerfall would have to be easier to get into than Arena if you wanted to "go early," though I do hear it is also far buggier.

As for Arena, I personally was having a blast playing through it after Bethesda offered it as a free download, and totally recommend at least giving it a shot. I played through the first dungeon with four different characters, and between learning what was useful and reloading every treasure pile until I got something good, I felt like an awesome killing machine by the time I escaped the tutorial. BUT--my game crashes every time I see snow. Both on my actual DOS machine and when I loaded my games in DOSBox. And there is snow no matter what I do when I leave the dungeon. Bad Arena :( Your mileage may vary, and I have never found anything about this bug anywhere in my Googling, but the fact that it persists on two fundamentally different systems (a Pentium 133 versus an Intel Core i7; the difference could not be much greater) makes me wonder.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Daggerfall is worth playing, but definitely to do not prioritize it over Morrowind and at least use a guide as far as getting you out of Privateer's Hold.

In Oblivion, choose Alchemy, exactly one weapon skill, and exactly one armor skill for your major skills, and use those. The way to min/max is actually to not choose any skills that you're going to use for your major skills, but that's unnecessary and kind of for crazy people. As people have said, keep your level low, keep in mind that level 20 or so is end game content, and don't try to do everything on one character, as it will get really tedious by the end.

edit: Actually one quick tip about the main quests in both Morrowind and Oblivion. You should start on their main quests very early on, but you don't need to get far before you can wander off again. In Morrowind, an important Orc lady for the second real quest in the main story can fall through a wall next to her. She will do this spontaneously; I'm pretty sure, and I'm serious here, every NPC in Morrowind slowly drifts to their right. This also means that you'll occasionally find Silt Strider dudes off of their platforms and so on. You don't need to do her quest right out of the gate, but you need to do it before you go off and finish every faction in the world, otherwise you'll have to spawn her in with the console. In Oblivion, the Kvatch mission gets ridiculously hard at high levels and is the source of like 80% of the complaining about the level scaling in that game, so do it immediately and then go back to side content.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 17, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

In Morrowind, an important Orc lady for the second real quest in the main story can fall through a wall next to her. She will do this spontaneously; I'm pretty sure, and I'm serious here, every NPC in Morrowind slowly drifts to their right. This also means that you'll occasionally find Silt Strider dudes off of their platforms and so on. You don't need to do her quest right out of the gate, but you need to do it before you go off and finish every faction in the world, otherwise you'll have to spawn her in with the console.

It's a lot easier than that, actually.

Enter the guild where she should be, open the console, type "ra". There she is again!

"ra" is short for "reset actors" and teleports all NPCs in the area back to where they started, which is handy when they get stuck in a wall/floor/ceiling or fall into the river.

The other console command you should know is "tcl" ("toggle clipping") which lets you walk through solid objects and is important for when you get stuck in a wall.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'd be hesitant to give advice for Morrowind, because it's so open-ended and one of those games that's really rewarding to go into fresh. It's also tough to screw yourself, short of killing a vital NPC (the game tells you if you've done this) or selling a quest item (fewer chances to do this but also more difficult to trace). I'd say all you need to know is to pick one melee weapon skill and one armor skill during chargen.

Fake E: One thing I didn't see on the wiki- when talking to NPCs, if you and the NPC are the same race you get a slight disposition boost. It doesn't help a ton but it can be useful for dialogue-based quests, or getting a little extra money from buying/selling (not that you can't become filthy rich with zero effort in this game)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 17, 2012

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Just started playing UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold in preparation for the new X-COM game. Any tips on how to start that? One thing in particular, I have Plasma weapons but I can't research them, what's going on there?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MGS HD Collection. What should I know? What order should I play it?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
I am about to start Bartleby & Co. by Enrique Vila-Matas. Lay it on me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Burning Nerd Core posted:

I am about to start Bartleby & Co. by Enrique Vila-Matas. Lay it on me.
I'd prefer not to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Okay, so Donkey Kong Country Returns. I assume it's the same sort of thing as previous DKC games, but is there anything I should know anyway? Mostly curious in the time attacks, as I've done two stages and I already depise them. Is there any reward for getting gold in every stage?

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
I never was given access to edit the wiki.

How do I get that?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kilometers Davis posted:

MGS HD Collection. What should I know? What order should I play it?

The MGSs are meant to played in the order they were released. 1, 2, 3, Portable Ops (you don't really have to play this), 4, Peace Walker. For all intents and purposes, Peace Walker is basically MGS5 and is super awesome.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nate RFB posted:

Okay, so Donkey Kong Country Returns. I assume it's the same sort of thing as previous DKC games, but is there anything I should know anyway? Mostly curious in the time attacks, as I've done two stages and I already depise them. Is there any reward for getting gold in every stage?

One huge mechanical change that will gently caress with you if you've played the original series to death. Your momentum is based around jumping, not rolling. Like how in the original series, if you rolled into an enemy and held down the Y button, you would immediately start another roll and keep going like that. In DKCR, when the first roll would end, it just stops, even if you hit an enemy. You can roll perpetually if you have Diddy and DK, but it's not really all that useful unless you're speedrunning. Also, to do the high jump, you want to press and hold A before you land on an enemy, not as you land on them.

As far as I know, there is no reward for getting Gold in every stage, and the completion percentage only cares about you getting the KONG letters and getting all the orbs from the K-levels.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Artix74 posted:

Also, to do the high jump, you want to press and hold A before you land on an enemy, not as you land on them.
I learned this the hard way by dying about 20 times in the first K level.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Deus Rex Machina posted:

I never was given access to edit the wiki.

How do I get that?

I'm looking at the email I sent you, with the login name and password, right now.

Sent it on 14/12/2011. Maybe it ended up in your spam folder?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Anything I should know about Neverwinter Nights 2? I've never really played a PC RPG before.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Anything I should know about Neverwinter Nights 2? I've never really played a PC RPG before.

Do you know the rules of 3rd Ed D&D? Learn them if you don't. They're in the manual. You'll want it on hand for reference as you play. Rogues/thieves are the worst types of classes but otherwise it's tough to cripple yourself in character creation and you can reset your character with the console commands anyways. Really, just have a good knowledge of 3rd Ed D&D and you'll do great.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Look back half a dozen or so one pages, someone asked the same thing a few weeks ago.

Edit: thanks, it felt like a long time ago for some reason.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 1, 2012

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Gynovore posted:

Look back half a dozen or so pages, someone asked the same thing a few weeks ago.
It's actually right at the beginning of last page, assuming you're set to 40 posts per page.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lord Banana posted:

Just started playing UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold in preparation for the new X-COM game. Any tips on how to start that? One thing in particular, I have Plasma weapons but I can't research them, what's going on there?

You have to capture and interrogate a commander to unlock the more advanced technologies.

Look for units with different coloration. Early on you're only going to see the snakemen-style guys with a commander. IIRC he's green, not orange.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Decided to take a break from Skyrim to finally finish off my much neglected playthrough of New Vegas, is there anything worth knowing ahead of time about the DLC or a recommended order to go through them in? Playing on the Xbox if it makes any difference.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Holistic Detective posted:

Decided to take a break from Skyrim to finally finish off my much neglected playthrough of New Vegas, is there anything worth knowing ahead of time about the DLC or a recommended order to go through them in? Playing on the Xbox if it makes any difference.

The DLC has a pretty clear story and level progression, starting with Dead Money, going into Old World Blues and finishing with Lonesome Road. Honest Hearts is mostly unconnected to the others, so you can do it whenever.

If you have any sort of roleplaying going on while you play, you might want to consider leaving Lonesome Road until you're about done with the game and ready to do the final quest. I think it feels way more connected to the story if you do so.

These are just my suggestions, however. You can do them in whatever order you want, though my MAIN recommendation is that you do Lonesome Road after both Dead Money and OWB, even if you do those two in reverse order. It just feels better.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

After you complete either Honest Hearts,Old World Blues or Lonesome Road, you can go back to the areas after you finish the DLC. But you can not go back after you complete Dead Money. So make sure you do everything that you can before you leave.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Release order is probably your best bet, so Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road.

Though I have to admit Old World Blues (as well as being my favourite of the DLCs does get you a loving sweet house and some really nice gear, so I think you could be forgiven for doing it early. Personally I found Dead Money a chore to get through, so I would stick to playing it first to get it out of the way. A lot of people liked it though, maybe you will too)

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Thanks for all the advice people, looks like release order it is. Something to add for anybody else who feels like buying all the DLC: If you plan on getting the Courier's Stash then make sure you're sitting at your suite in the Lucky 38 when you load it up, it dumps like 100lb's of stuff in your inventory and it sucks having to walk back completely overburdened.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Someone pointed out earlier in the thread, and and as Infinity Gaia alluded to, Dead Money and Old World Blues both definitively lead in to Lonesome Road--but even though the release order does make perfect sense, Old World Blues actually gives you back story on things that happen in Dead Money, so your preference for Old World Blues as "foreshadowing" or "epilogue" should possibly dictate which order you play those in.

Plus, and I realize this only applies to about ~1% total of potential players, but Old World Blues has more Wasteland references in it (including tangible things!) than any previous game in the series, which I think is just fantastic.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Picked up Might and Magic 7 from GOG, any advice?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dr Snofeld posted:

- The default party is excellent. Go ahead and start with that, but switch the portrait/voice on the sorceress. The whining gets old really fast.
- Don't bother raising luck in chargen. There's a well on Emerald Isle that'll permanently raise the stat a bunch of times up to a certain threshold. Not enough to hike four Luck 3 characters to max, but just under that.
- If you take Mr. Malwick's offer, don't waste the fireball wand on the dragonflies. The first dungeon (Temple of the Moon) is kinda tough.

- Acromage is awesome, but you need a deck before you can play at taverns. Take the quest from Darren Temper, next door to Harmondale stables. To find his brother's remains, leave the town, take the road south and run from the goblin swarm until you reach the hamlet. Head south again and take the dirt path that branches off the main road. Head east to the mountains, get around the goblins and duck into the White Cliff Cave, just past the rope bridge. The troglodytes can be fought, but the oozes won't take damage without elemental spells. Try to kite them into one another. Follow the left-hand wall to find the cards. Take them back to town for a fat lump of dosh and just about the greatest minigame/early game cash mill known to man.

e: vvv It's the grandmaster level Water spell, but there's some hirelings that will cast is for you once per day. They'll cost an absolute bomb to hire, though, but it sure beats doing that goddamn golem quest.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 3, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

Do whatever it takes to get Mark/Recall as soon as possible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any mods I should get for Shogun 2.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

scamtank posted:

- The default party is excellent. Go ahead and start with that, but switch the portrait/voice on the sorceress. The whining gets old really fast.
- Don't bother raising luck in chargen. There's a well on Emerald Isle that'll permanently raise the stat a bunch of times up to a certain threshold. Not enough to hike four Luck 3 characters to max, but just under that.
- If you take Mr. Malwick's offer, don't waste the fireball wand on the dragonflies. The first dungeon (Temple of the Moon) is kinda tough.

- Acromage is awesome, but you need a deck before you can play at taverns. Take the quest from Darren Temper, next door to Harmondale stables. To find his brother's remains, leave the town, take the road south and run from the goblin swarm until you reach the hamlet. Head south again and take the dirt path that branches off the main road. Head east to the mountains, get around the goblins and duck into the White Cliff Cave, just past the rope bridge. The troglodytes can be fought, but the oozes won't take damage without elemental spells. Try to kite them into one another. Follow the left-hand wall to find the cards. Take them back to town for a fat lump of dosh and just about the greatest minigame/early game cash mill known to man.

e: vvv It's the grandmaster level Water spell, but there's some hirelings that will cast is for you once per day. They'll cost an absolute bomb to hire, though, but it sure beats doing that goddamn golem quest.

Are you supposed to get slaughtered by swarms of dragonflies right off the bat?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dr Snofeld posted:

Are you supposed to get slaughtered by swarms of dragonflies right off the bat?

Yeah uh about that

- Emerald Isle: dragonflies gently caress you up if you let them. Try not to rile off more than 3-4 at once and use the turn-based combat to even the odds. If there's a horde chasing you, just run into town. Some of them will break pursuit and the rest will get slaughtered by the town guards.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd say the best advice for Might and Magic 7 is to make sure all of your characters use bows all the time. Since there are so many monsters in the game, a good chunk of them can be killed in this way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hmmm...

For Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

-This time around, feel free to spend levels for your main character until you get to 15. You should also consider holding off on leveling any organic party members (except for Kreia and a wookiee) until you've maxed out their influences by talking to them. You'll know when you've maxed out their influences enough.

-As before, it's recommended to stick to one side of the force, since you'll need to be 3/4ths of the way to either side's maximum before you're allowed to unlock advanced classes.

-Talk with your party members between planets. Between all of the stat boosts each of them is capable of giving to your character, as well as certain other bonuses that come into play when your influence with them is high enough, your party will have each individual member becoming a one man/woman army.

LoveisOver
Aug 8, 2011
So I'm on my Playthrough 2 in Borderlands, and I haven't yet touched the DLC. I guess I'll just play them in order, but it seems so me like I didn't get any particularly great guns the first time through: was i just unlucky or is all the good poo poo sprinkled through PT2?

I only just started PT2, so if anyone has any advice for it in particular I'd be glad to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
Gonna start up Deus Ex: Human Revolution in a little while. What I can do to completely cheese the game as in the original?