Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Where is the Professorbx breakdown of namm?
What kind of breakdown are you looking for? I didn't go to NAMM but I've been keeping up with it this past weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Total newbie to DJing I tried a little production but I didn't have the time, got Virtual DJ yesterday and have been messing around. Just put together this [not actually a] mix, I like it but I want to know what other people think.

http://soundcloud.com/bonhommerichard/mix-1-23-12

e; fixed \/\/\/

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 25, 2012

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I'm getting a little bit sick of these "AM I DOING THIS RIGHT!?" mixes quite frankly. Three tunes is not a mix. Use your ears and come back in a year when you have something you're proud of.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ I agree with that to some extent. There is a thread for mixes but is there one for nooblets like the above poster? An FAQ on the basics?

It's hard when you're first starting out, it helps to listen to a million and one other mixes but like anything else vaguely artistic there's no real benchmark as to what's is a good solid mix hence the questions.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Blowdryer posted:

Total newbie to DJing I tried a little production but I didn't have the time, got Virtual DJ yesterday and have been messing around. Just put together this [not actually a] mix, I like it but I want to know what other people think.

http://soundcloud.com/bonhommerichard/mix-1-23-12

e; fixed \/\/\/

Effort post incoming so you better pay attention blowdryer:

I'm going to spare you any criticism because it wouldn't do you any good at this point, but I will echo 88h88 and say you should probably find some DJs you like and listen to their mixes. Stay away from people who tend to be sloppy.

The mixtape I listened to that made me step my mixing up to a more professional level was Peacetreaty's 2010 Control mixtape. The transitions gave me goosebumps and I wanted my mixtapes to sound like that. So I went and reconstructed their mix (keep in mind these guys use ableton live and can do complex poo poo on the fly) and after a few weeks I was able to remake their mix, and I applied everything I learned to my future mixes.

You can listen to Peacetreaty's Control mixtape here.

You can also listen to my totally cool indie/disco house mix and check out some of the transitions, I'm really proud of this one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

THAT drat DOG posted:

I'm going to spare you any criticism because it wouldn't do you any good at this point, but I will echo 88h88 and say you should probably find some DJs you like and listen to their mixes. Stay away from people who tend to be sloppy.

This was part of my point but I guess I didn't explain it too well. Who is known as particularly amazing at assembling mixes? Also who is sloppy as gently caress and should be avoided? It helps being able to make comparisons between the two and eventually your ear will become accustomed to it.

I ask because I'm still learning too. ;)

I'll get going on the above links for now though as it seems from your mix that we have very similar taste.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

It would help to know what type of music you are into so we could make recommendations for artists/DJs to listen to

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

It would help to know what type of music you are into so we could make recommendations for artists/DJs to listen to

I'd love some suggestions for trance/progressive/electro DJs that are good to learn from. I listen to most of the big radio shows every week (asot, gdjb, tatw, corsten's countdown), but a radio show is a lot different from live sets obviously.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Resident Advisor and XLR8R have weekly podcasts, I've been listening to them for about a year. They're good mostly for house, as well as techno/electro stuff.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I'm also a big fan of going out and seeing DJs live and pay attention to what they're doing right and wrong. What kind of transitions they're doing, especially the ones where it's not a simple beatmatch/bass swap. What songs are they selecting, and how does that relate to what's happening/not happening on the dance floor and the energy level as the night progresses? Are they using the filter or other fx to built tension and suspense well, or is it a knob you wish you could go rip off their mixer because they play with it too much?

There are some podcasts out there that are recordings from nightclubs if you're looking for live recordings, I think Glow down in DC does one for example.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

This will end well:

quote:

Simon Cowell has announced plans to launch a new talent competition searching for the world's best new DJs.

:stonk:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/simon-cowell-to-launch-dj-talent-show-20120125

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

geeves posted:

:stonk:
I'm predicting a lot of lip piercings and fitted New Eras with flat brims.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So uh, is each DJ gonna get like 60 minutes to play? How on earth are they gonna coordinate that? Or are they looking for turntablists and controllerists?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

So uh, is each DJ gonna get like 60 minutes to play? How on earth are they gonna coordinate that? Or are they looking for turntablists and controllerists?

I'm guessing it will be more DMC battle-style.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I'm giving your mix a listen now, really digging it. I might need to chase down some more stuff in this genre too, I'm feeling like I've probably missed out on some cool stuff. That soundlogik link also has a bunch of recorded sets from EDC2011 that should also be worth a listen.

fordan posted:

There are some podcasts out there that are recordings from nightclubs if you're looking for live recordings, I think Glow down in DC does one for example.

Thanks for this, I'm checking out a few of them now!

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

keevo posted:

What kind of breakdown are you looking for? I didn't go to NAMM but I've been keeping up with it this past weekend.

I just wanted his take on the Rane 62

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Vidmaster posted:

Thanks for this, I'm checking out a few of them now!

D2Techno on soundcloud posts (hundreds?) of livesets if you're into techno and associated genres. You might have to go through a few pages since they also post a lot of radio shows.

soundcloud.com/d2techno

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Don't forget R_co http://soundcloud.com/r_co

Load of new and old electronic stuff, all available for download and (partial) tracklists for the most of them.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

fordan posted:

I'm also a big fan of going out and seeing DJs live and pay attention to what they're doing right and wrong. What kind of transitions they're doing, especially the ones where it's not a simple beatmatch/bass swap. What songs are they selecting, and how does that relate to what's happening/not happening on the dance floor and the energy level as the night progresses? Are they using the filter or other fx to built tension and suspense well, or is it a knob you wish you could go rip off their mixer because they play with it too much?

Glow records most of their stuff. I dont remember where to find it though.

At some bar last night there was a dude who kept legitimately messing up, cutting songs too early in the middle of words and poo poo, leaving tracks playing against each other out of sync. I felt bad :( crowd wasnt into it and poo poo, its just so awkward to watch a dude drown like that

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Longtiem posted:

At some bar last night there was a dude who kept legitimately messing up, cutting songs too early in the middle of words and poo poo, leaving tracks playing against each other out of sync. I felt bad :( crowd wasnt into it and poo poo, its just so awkward to watch a dude drown like that

You should have busted in and saved the day, Cassius-style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deo8TP0cB1w

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

Well I am about as pale as that superhero so it might have worked

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Longtiem posted:

They have it up as a podcast; http://clubglow.podomatic.com/ or search for it on iTunes. Just finished listening to Sebastian Ingrosso's set that has me seriously impressed with some of his transitions. I need to listen to it again and try to deconstruct some of them and try them myself.

It can be painful to watch, although I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude when I saw the resident DJ that was warming up for Steve Aoki at a decent-sized nightclub in Atlantic City flub going into a loop and then accidentally jump way back in the song to the middle of a vocal chorus. Seeing that even pros mess up makes me feel better about my amateur mistakes.

vanilla slimfast posted:

But only if you wear that costume.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, live looping during a blend is really tough, especially if you set the loop points on the fly like I do. If you don't cut the loop right the first time you're pretty much hosed. You can't correct it before everything goes out of sync.

Darkstitch
Dec 10, 2006

Humming the Bassline
So DJ'ing.

Ugh I want to actually make my own music and just get a bunch of synths and just create some crazy poo poo.

Virtual DJ will have to suffice for now I guess lol.

I do mostly electro. Like hard electro mixed with some but very little trance. Usually the only trance I play are songs well known like Escape (I have a sweet electro version) or Better Off Alone, and kill me now I'm getting into Skrillex. Oh and Deadmau5. It hurts to play Deadmau5 but most people don't know this kinky Mellefresh song is Deadmau5 so I let it slide. Heh.

Anyways here's me hustling my mix again. I usually hustle outside 7/11 handing out cd's with my girlfriend so we make enough to buy two lokos and a pack of cigs whenever we go down that road. >.>

Here enjoy.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Darkstitch posted:

So DJ'ing.

Ugh I want to actually make my own music and just get a bunch of synths and just create some crazy poo poo.

Virtual DJ will have to suffice for now I guess lol.

I do mostly electro. Like hard electro mixed with some but very little trance. Usually the only trance I play are songs well known like Escape (I have a sweet electro version) or Better Off Alone, and kill me now I'm getting into Skrillex. Oh and Deadmau5. It hurts to play Deadmau5 but most people don't know this kinky Mellefresh song is Deadmau5 so I let it slide. Heh.

Anyways here's me hustling my mix again. I usually hustle outside 7/11 handing out cd's with my girlfriend so we make enough to buy two lokos and a pack of cigs whenever we go down that road. >.>

Here enjoy.

So... you're selling your mix or giving it away for free?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
You're putting a lot of effort into the wrong place.

edit: I'd also say Deadmau5 is one of your better track choices.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Hey I gave that a listen but at around 10:28 it sounded like a two-car pileup occurred outside my apartment and I had to go investigate. Also there weren't enough songs with sidechaining for my tastes. Sorry!

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Reconsider everything.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Ugh. One of my STR8.150s have this weird rubbing noise when I'm scratching/cueing and Stanton support thinks it's a damaged motor. :(

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
If I'm not trying to DJ seriously (aka, just play in my room/house/friends houses) but want to be able to have something besides my laptop to mix with, is this a bad investment?

http://www.numark.com/product/mixtrackpro

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Blowdryer posted:

If I'm not trying to DJ seriously (aka, just play in my room/house/friends houses) but want to be able to have something besides my laptop to mix with, is this a bad investment?

Numark makes great starter equipment, it comes with Serato DJ Intro which is cool, but I think Traktor LE would have been better. Either way it looks fun to mess with.

E: no it probably wouldn't be a bad investment as long as it's not over 250 bucks.

THAT DAMN DOG fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The Kontrol S2 is only $449 right now :aaa:

Almost wish I didn't sink so much money into modding my VCI-100.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Too many options at the moment. The F1 looks interesting, as does Behringer's new CMD series, and the A&H Xone:K2. I don't need to re-consider a S2 as well.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Blowdryer posted:

I have one, its a fun toy.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Vidmaster posted:

So my lovely soundcloud page got a message from a guy at this Afton company saying he was interested in booking me for a night he was putting together. I think I have a good idea of what the company is, but was wondering if anyone in here has interacted with them. Are they legit and helpful with getting some recognition, or is this one of those "we won't pay you and expect you to sell a hundred tickets in order to play in front of a dozen bored high school kids" things?
OH GOD NO NO NO STAY FAR THE gently caress AWAY FROM AFTON NO NO NO

It's a form email. Afton Shows sends that poo poo out nonstop if you somehow found yourself on their email list. They make you sell tickets to their shows. It's really stupid. I played one Afton show with my band a few years ago and it was a really stressful sketchy experience.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

vas0line posted:

OH GOD NO NO NO STAY FAR THE gently caress AWAY FROM AFTON NO NO NO

It's a form email. Afton Shows sends that poo poo out nonstop if you somehow found yourself on their email list. They make you sell tickets to their shows. It's really stupid. I played one Afton show with my band a few years ago and it was a really stressful sketchy experience.

Good, I don't feel bad for blowing them off now.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Just ordered a Rane 62; whelp my budget

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Why'd you go for the 62 over the others?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

a foolish pianist posted:

Why'd you go for the 62 over the others?

I don't like having a bunch of midi controllers lying around/lots of cabling with external sound cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I'm torn, because the 62 has some cool features, but I just bought a ttm-57sl and I don't know that I trust the new ones as scratch mixers.