Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Thermopyle posted:

Googlin' says Amazon MP3 downloads work in Canada.

but not their mp3 store app sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse

SmokeyXIII posted:

Do any of you know a music store I can get mp3s from in Canada? preferably with an app for my desire hd? I'm sure the options are really limited since I'm in Canada. I hate itunes with a passion, and will never give them another dollar, so thats out.

Failing that, is there a decent streaming service you guys would recommend?

E: how does rdio work? Does it save any music to my phone I'm never around wifi so that would be preferable.

You could give 7digital a try. I've never bought anything from it but there is a Canadian store that seems to have a decent selection.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Humble Indie Bundle is back, this time with an Android twist. Four great Android games: Edge, World Of Goo, Osmos, and Anomaly, for whatever you want to pay. I dropped $6 (slightly higher than the average when I bought it) but these games are so good I'm thinking about increasing that to $10.

You also get the PC/Windows/Mac versions (with Steam keys) and boy does Edge rape my eyes on a 23" 1080p display.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

SmokeyXIII posted:

but not their mp3 store app sadly.

You can sign up for, and buy MP3s from amazon in Canada if you happen to have an american credit card and address. The only stores that I am aware of that service Canada are iTunes and 7Digital.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

big mean giraffe posted:

Return that phone and get something else would be my first suggestion. For messaging apps, did you try chomp?

RETURN PHONE

PROBLEM SOLVED

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

RETURN PHONE

PROBLEM SOLVED
I can't tell if that's sarcasm (although it would be a great title for the Phone thread) but I genuinely can't imagine why anyone would buy the Galaxy W when the Nexus S is the same price, pretty much equivalent hardware, and will only get better.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

LastInLine posted:

I can't tell if that's sarcasm (although it would be a great title for the Phone thread) but I genuinely can't imagine why anyone would buy the Galaxy W when the Nexus S is the same price, pretty much equivalent hardware, and will only get better.

Well, the main reason is that the nexus s isn't available here at the moment. At least not in the stores/webshops I checked. Another reason is that it costs €50 more. It's also slightly bigger, and I don't really want that.
But most of all, the W is all I need. Because let's face it, I'm only gonna use it to check facebook/read mails/browse SA while at work. So why would I spend more money on stuff I don't need?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 1, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

XIII posted:

How is it interfering? It only shows up when you go to delete something, but you can still put things at the top of the screen, so what's the problem?

It doesn't let you use the top row, when you cross into the top row the trash can pops up and eats your widget.

I stopped using Go Launcher for this reason, I like to have my screen symmetrical in landscape with an Elixir bar on one side and the dock on the other, but I couldn't get the Elixir bar to go up against the edge because of the trash can. In ADW or LPP this works fine.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Well, the main reason is that the nexus s isn't available here at the moment. At least not in the stores/webshops I checked. Another reason is that it costs €50 more. It's also slightly bigger, and I don't really want that.
But most of all, the W is all I need. Because let's face it, I'm only gonna use it to check facebook/read mails/browse SA while at work. So why would I spend more money on stuff I don't need?

The funny thing about smartphones is that once you've had them for a while, you tend to find stuff you'd like to do with them that you never would have thought of before owning one, and often it turns out that a given phone will do those things poorly or not at all. Sometimes this is because someone releases new apps that your phone can't run, or there are OS updates that your phone that your phone doesn't ever receive. In some cases there are even hardware features that are simply broken or absent on your phone. (Ask owners of USA Galaxy S phones about all the neat features that require GPS.)

You're much less likely to run into this kind of issue with a Nexus S than a Galaxy W, since the NS has such great support—both official and from the developer community. I know 50 Euros isn't nothing, but it's a miniscule extra investment compared to what you're paying for service over the life of the phone.

You're also much less likely to run into this kind of issue if you aren't the type of person who gets frustrated by the feeling of "Oooh, that could be neat—wait, looks like my phone won't do it", which it sounds like you might be. We're not trying to give you grief over your choice of phone, just save you from some potential headaches down the line ;)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

It doesn't let you use the top row, when you cross into the top row the trash can pops up and eats your widget.

I stopped using Go Launcher for this reason, I like to have my screen symmetrical in landscape with an Elixir bar on one side and the dock on the other, but I couldn't get the Elixir bar to go up against the edge because of the trash can. In ADW or LPP this works fine.

I just tested it and you can use the top row just be careful that your finger isn't on the garbage can. It takes a little bit to get it positioned right but it will do it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure what your problem was...I just double checked and its not even particularly hard to put items on the top row.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

I just tested it and you can use the top row just be careful that your finger isn't on the garbage can. It takes a little bit to get it positioned right but it will do it.

Exactly. I tested it yesterday after reading his post, just to be sure something hadn't changed in an update. Just grab the widget closer to the bottom, so that your thumb doesn't hit the trash can. I've got a widget on the top row in all five of my homescreens.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My issue was that there was an appreciable gap; in ADW and LPP I can get a widget just about flush with the edge so I basically have a dock on both sides in landscape. I just re-installed Go to see if they'd improved it, but there's still a big gap, about 2/3 of the size of an icon. v:shobon:v

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Dumb question: Is there one-click way to update a single app with an update in my apps?

If there are multiple apps with updates you just tap the # 3 (or whatver # of updates there are) and it goes. If there's only one you have to click into its page, click update then click accept and d/l.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Dumb question: Is there one-click way to update a single app with an update in my apps?

If there are multiple apps with updates you just tap the # 3 (or whatver # of updates there are) and it goes. If there's only one you have to click into its page, click update then click accept and d/l.
Not that I've found but now once you enable auto-updates for everything I seldom if ever see any apps awaiting updates (and yet like an idiot I check every single day).

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, that was what I'm experiencing. There's a tiny bar that stays empty (you can choose to display your screen indicator there), and it's impossible (for me at least) to put any widgets there.

Penguissimo posted:

The funny thing about smartphones is that once you've had them for a while, you tend to find stuff you'd like to do with them that you never would have thought of before owning one, and often it turns out that a given phone will do those things poorly or not at all. Sometimes this is because someone releases new apps that your phone can't run, or there are OS updates that your phone that your phone doesn't ever receive. In some cases there are even hardware features that are simply broken or absent on your phone. (Ask owners of USA Galaxy S phones about all the neat features that require GPS.)

You're much less likely to run into this kind of issue with a Nexus S than a Galaxy W, since the NS has such great support—both official and from the developer community. I know 50 Euros isn't nothing, but it's a miniscule extra investment compared to what you're paying for service over the life of the phone.

You're also much less likely to run into this kind of issue if you aren't the type of person who gets frustrated by the feeling of "Oooh, that could be neat—wait, looks like my phone won't do it", which it sounds like you might be. We're not trying to give you grief over your choice of phone, just save you from some potential headaches down the line ;)
Yeah, you're probably right. But let's worry about those potential headaches when the they occur.
It's a bit obnoxious when you ask something and the answer is: thuh, get a new phone you scrub.

Anyway, I used the Go launcher widget, and their message app, looks neat.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

beedeebee posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. But let's worry about those potential headaches when the they occur.
It's a bit obnoxious when you ask something and the answer is: thuh, get a new phone you scrub.

Anyway, I used the Go launcher widget, and their message app, looks neat.

The thing is, we've been dealing with people having huge issues with Samsung phones, especially the older generation of them like the W which is like a one-off weird variant of the original S, for I think over 2 years at this point. But hey, you're the one who has to deal with it. If you can live with a phone that's already outdated and probably won't ever see another update or security patch or bug fix outside the third-party community, which is even smaller for the W, then good luck.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

beedeebee posted:

For what it's worth, people were being condescending to Samsung, not you. Like BMG said, it's been almost two years of headaches from them, and the pedigree of the W is not particularly encouraging. Nobody thinks you're a scrub for making that decision, but nobody wants you to be stuck with an unsupported pile of crap the way so many people here were.

And I think the reason we're all trying to caution you about that phone now is that if/when you do run into big problems, Samsung sure as hell isn't going to fix it, and the developer community for the W is neither large nor likely to be long-lived. There's a really good chance that "get a new phone" [b]will be the only available solution[b], which is why it would be better to do it now, when you might still be able to return or exchange it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've drawn a parallel in my head that I think works.

The SGS is the modern-day equivalent of the original Pentium bug.

With the Pentium bug, nobody would have thought too much about it but for the fact that Intel made such a HUGE marketing drive and chose to brand it as something other than an 80586 processor.

I think it would have been similar for Samsung if they hadn't marketed the SGS as the greatest phone(s) on the planet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

My issue was that there was an appreciable gap; in ADW and LPP I can get a widget just about flush with the edge so I basically have a dock on both sides in landscape. I just re-installed Go to see if they'd improved it, but there's still a big gap, about 2/3 of the size of an icon. v:shobon:v

beedeebee posted:

Yeah, that was what I'm experiencing. There's a tiny bar that stays empty (you can choose to display your screen indicator there), and it's impossible (for me at least) to put any widgets there.

Ahh ok. (That doesn't have anything to do with the garbage icon thingy, though)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Ahh ok. (That doesn't have anything to do with the garbage icon thingy, though)

Well, the reason we can't use that space appears to be because the garbage can bar takes up that whole top space, unnecessarily (since the other launchers let us use that space). If I recall correctly, LPP lets you change the trash can location specifically to avoid this problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Well, the reason we can't use that space appears to be because the garbage can bar takes up that whole top space, unnecessarily (since the other launchers let us use that space). If I recall correctly, LPP lets you change the trash can location specifically to avoid this problem.

On my phone, when you drag something up there, the garbage can slides down over the top of the screen indicators and whatever widgets you have in the top row. AFAICT, it's the screen indicators that keep the top widget from reaching the top of the screen. The garbage can bar overlaps both the unusable space (which looks to be like 1/8th of a whole widget and the top of the top widget...so I don't think the garbage can has anything to do with it.

Anyway, the fact remains that there's like 1/8th of a widgets space that you can't use...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows a personal finance software that's worthwhile? Don't mention Mint. While it's exactly what I'm looking for, it requires linking accounts, which doesn't work because I don't live in the US.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I tried Easy Money for a while. It's decent, only reason I stopped using it is because I got lazy really. It isn't free, but there is a free trial.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
The Amazon market free app of the day has been pretty lame for the last few weeks, pretty much every app has had 1-5 reviews before it was featured. I wish they would do an established game/app more often.

2 of them were personal finance apps, both of which required manual entry. Easy Money was even one of them, as was Money, but that looks even worse.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

On my phone, when you drag something up there, the garbage can slides down over the top of the screen indicators and whatever widgets you have in the top row. AFAICT, it's the screen indicators that keep the top widget from reaching the top of the screen. The garbage can bar overlaps both the unusable space (which looks to be like 1/8th of a whole widget and the top of the top widget...so I don't think the garbage can has anything to do with it.

Anyway, the fact remains that there's like 1/8th of a widgets space that you can't use...

I wonder if it has to do with how many columns/rows we each have set. On mine, I don't have screen indicators (in landscape it's the left side of the screen) and the trash can bar comes out to about 5 pixels away from overlapping the closest icon I can put to the edge, hence the impression it was the trash can reserving that space.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

beedeebee posted:

I tried Easy Money for a while. It's decent, only reason I stopped using it is because I got lazy really. It isn't free, but there is a free trial.
I'll be looking into it.

Meanwhile, anyone here using YNAB? I'm currently messing with the desktop client.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I like loot a lot
https://market.android.com/details?id=net.gumbercules.loot&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5ldC5ndW1iZXJjdWxlcy5sb290Il0.

I've tried a whole mess of them and I keep coming back to this one. There is an addon premium app for it that the developer at some point made free for widgets and charts.

The only thing that it doesn't do that I really wish any of the apps would pick up would be to have the app be able to sync with my wife's app in the same way that grocery apps do.

But like I said, this is the one that I keep coming back to time and time again.

edit:

quote:

Meanwhile, anyone here using YNAB? I'm currently messing with the desktop client.

That's cool, I'm going to look into that and give the trial a go. Thanks for that.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 1, 2012

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'll be looking into it.

Yes, I use it on my desktop and phone. I first started with the YNAB .xls file in 2006, and only upgraded to the proper app plus phone app last December. It is terribly convenient, and you can sync multiple devices, you just have to update the IP and code in the Sync with Mobile window.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
YNAB looks real nice, but it's more of a budgetting software than an expense tracker. Too bad, because I'd really like an expense tracker I can use on my desktop and sync with my phone.

EDIT: apparently I'm blind, it does have the ability to track your expenses. The price is a bit steep though.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 1, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

The SGS is the modern-day equivalent of the original Pentium bug.
No way, the FDIV bug was a very costly, (and thus) poorly managed "oops!" on an otherwise excellently designed processor.

The SGS and its variants, while possessing reasonable and certainly marketable hardware, are a massive blunder due to the absolute poo poo-turd software stack that shipped on the platform. Nearly two-years later, two fairly-major Android revisions, and a very significant helping hand in the form of Google "fixing poo poo" for the Nexus S, the SGS TW platform is still rear end, although a little less so.

And you know, we could've left Samsung at "almost as bad as LG", with HTC and Motorola remaining the unbeatable OEMs. Except somewhere shortly after the release of GB (and a Samsung OEM'd Google development prototype) both HTC and Motorola started to seriously gently caress up.

All Android OEMs are tainted, and they all suck. Devices pimped by Google however, have a tendency to suck the least.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

both HTC and Motorola started to seriously gently caress up.

Other than lovely batteries what's HTC done? They actually unlocked most of their phones.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Other than lovely batteries what's HTC done? They actually unlocked most of their phones.

IIRC most of their GB updates for phones that originally shipped with Froyo have been minor disasters at best.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have two questions regarding Facebook stuff:
1) Am I crazy, or did the official FB app, right after the redesign, let you see a sort of photo newsfeed? As in, you could tap the newspaper icon, then choose "news feed", "photos", etc.

2) Is there a scrollable, resizeable widget that works for ICS? I've tried Wizz, but it shits itself when I first tell it to refresh ("Unfortunately, Wizz has stopped"). Colorize needs me to log in in the Android settings, but that's apparently not available yet in 4.0.2.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm running cyanogenmod and want to use mobile data to ssh into my house creating some ssh tunnels on phone that are accessible to wifi-tethered laptops via the phone's wifi interface.

Connectbot doesn't work for this, doesn't have an option that I can see, tunneled ports started with connectbot are accessible only by the phone.

I was able to use connectbot, connect to local busybox and do "ssh my.house.hostname -g -L 4001:homewindowsbox:3389"

And that worked using the -g in there, the tethered laptop could connect to the phone on its 192.168.43.1 ip port 4001 and get the windows rdp connected.

But how do I make this easier and not have to type all that (plus a bunch more tunnels that I want) put it in a shell script and execute that from local busybox using connectbot? is there a way to have an icon in appdrawer or one of my home screens for a shell script? And if so what would it open in? connectbot or the built in CM term?

Or is there some app or other way I'm not thinking of to do all this easier?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 1, 2012

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows a personal finance software that's worthwhile? Don't mention Mint. While it's exactly what I'm looking for, it requires linking accounts, which doesn't work because I don't live in the US.
I use anMoney and think it's fairly solid. Certainly has been a good help for me. I can at any time see how much money I have available to spend (after planned bills are entered into the app) through a widget, which is super handy.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

BlueTesla posted:

You could give 7digital a try. I've never bought anything from it but there is a Canadian store that seems to have a decent selection.

Thank you so much, this worked out really good, and they even have an app!

lelandjs posted:

The Humble Indie Bundle

Thanks for this too, it's a really great deal.

SmokeyXIII fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 2, 2012

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm using moneywise

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handynorth.moneywise_free

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I finally gave Google Music a try and I feel so guilty about using the 3D effect. I know it ruins all the work the producers put into making their music sound good but on the other hand I AM HEARING IN THREE DEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

lelandjs posted:

So I finally gave Google Music a try and I feel so guilty about using the 3D effect. I know it ruins all the work the producers put into making their music sound good but on the other hand I AM HEARING IN THREE DEE

What the hell are you talking about?

• Locked thread