Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dren posted:

That's a way better set. When that Brian guy (the Chun player) doesn't waste his xfactor and doesn't drop combos he's absolutely terrifying.

That set was pretty interesting because you could see him figuring out how to get past Haggar+Doom the more he played. At first the pipe was stopping Chun Li cold, and then he was a bit more cautious, but Chun started taking serious damage from Doom's Plasma Beam assist. Eventually though, he started to baiting the pipe and using Chun's methods to get in without getting hit by it and that's when he started to take the matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Niddhogg posted:

Doom's BnB to Doctor Strange DHC will kill an average health character.

Yes and doom is one of the highest damage characters in the game.

Countblanc posted:

I don't think Ammy, Trish, RR, and probably others I can't remember can do 950k with 3 meters.

I don't think Iron Man or Arthur can either, but I'd love to see it if they can!

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't think Iron Man or Arthur can either, but I'd love to see it if they can!

I run iron man/sentinel/doom and it's so sad how doom and sent can kill off a character by themselves no problem with one or two bars but poor tony can barely get someone down to the magic pixel if I'm doing my absolute best :(

He's fun to play as though

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

WeakLad posted:

I run iron man/sentinel/doom and it's so sad how doom and sent can kill off a character by themselves no problem with one or two bars but poor tony can barely get someone down to the magic pixel if I'm doing my absolute best :(

He's fun to play as though

Does Iron Man even have combos?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Jmcrofts posted:

With 3 bars I think Arthur ends up doing more damage by just looping Goddess Bracelet into Heavenly Slash over and over.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

He had one combo, which let me do okay with him in randoms, that doesn't work in Ultimate.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

my bnb is LMHS MMH fly MHHS dash smart bombs proton cannon/iron avenger

uh.. that's it :(

in his defense he's got a quick overhead with his fly > S

He's really good at opening up characters, and his projectile spam is pretty decent, and his c.M is deceptively useful. When I fight teleport happy characters, his repulsor blast is loving AWESOME. They teleport right into it and BAM free hyper combo.

WeakLad fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 31, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Little over 720k, 35% net meter gain. You can replace the last super with his level 3, then wavedash to OTG smart bomb xx proton cannon for 1.22 million, and since the basic combo builds more meter than it uses, you can do it as long as you have about 2.5 bars when you start the combo. If you hit enough meter for his level 3 but not enough for an extra proton cannon, you can OTG smart bomb to throw reset, which is 960k before the reset.

Iron-Man can pretty much kill anyone in one combo if he has enough meter, but you actually have to do work to get it down.

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!
Anyone wanting to learn Iron-Man or are wondering what his bnb's are should probably watch this

Toilet.Duck fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 31, 2012

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Toilet.Duck posted:

Anyone wanting to learn Iron-Man or are wondering what his bnb's are should probably watch this

holy moly, thanks so much for this. I had no idea he had such neat little tricks in ultimate.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Not that this is a practical example that makes Iron Man good but I got annihilated by an Iron Man last night.

I came in not blocking because I'm an idiot and "lol ironman". He hit me with Repulsar Blast into lvl 3, smart bombs proton cannon, xfactor, dash, up angled proton cannon.

I hope someone remakes that Iron Man video so that it's watchable. It seemed like it had good content but it was pretty hard to tell since it the text was in a hard to read font colored red and black that was set against a red and black background. Also, whoever made it didn't leave the damage display on in training mode.

Anyway what is high damage? I say high damage is 950k for two bars. I could be convinced that it's 900k for two bars. My goal for all my characters is to make sure they do over 700k for one bar with the option to DHC for more.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Jmcrofts posted:

Iron Man can do a little over a million off one bar in the corner with assists. Also any time you get a corner throw you can do L Smart Bombs and then any normal for a relaunch combo since Smart Bombs recover so fast.

Brosnan posted:

Little over 720k, 35% net meter gain. You can replace the last super with his level 3, then wavedash to OTG smart bomb xx proton cannon for 1.22 million, and since the basic combo builds more meter than it uses, you can do it as long as you have about 2.5 bars when you start the combo. If you hit enough meter for his level 3 but not enough for an extra proton cannon, you can OTG smart bomb to throw reset, which is 960k before the reset.

Iron-Man can pretty much kill anyone in one combo if he has enough meter, but you actually have to do work to get it down.

Don't use that combo as a bnb, Iron Man's absolute best bnb combo is known as the Krispy Kreme.

j.S or j.H, c.M, s.H xx fly, j.M, j.M, j.H xx unfly, j.H, land, j.u+F, j.M, j.M, j.d+H, j.S, land, c.M, s.H, s.S, sj.M, j.M, j.d+H, j.S, land, H Smart Bombs xx Proton Cannon

It deals 748,300 damage but that's not the reason its so good. Its good because you can hit confirm it from max range of j.H. When you do c.M, s.H xx Fly j.M, you are basically utilizing the strength of Tony's long normals to do the full combo. If you can hit from j.H range on the ground, even if its just the very tip, you can do this combo, but its important you do j.M instead of j.L after fly for it to work.

For this reason just doing normal jumps (bunny hopping) and hitting j.H is stupid good. Iron Man is a really underrated character in my opinion but he has a really high execution barrier. I have that bnb down in training mode but hit confirming it in real matches is a different story. But yeah if you want to learn Iron Man its the most important thing. Also the character sub forum on SRK for him is actually really good with discussion right now of advancing Stark technology and working on making bad matchups more manageable (with Tony has a lot of unfortunately).

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 31, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceBees posted:

Iron Man can do a little over a million off one bar in the corner with assists. Also any time you get a corner throw you can do L Smart Bombs and then any normal for a relaunch combo since Smart Bombs recover so fast.

Don't use that combo as a bnb, Iron Man's absolute best bnb combo is known as the Krispy Kreme.

j.S or j.H, c.M, s.H xx fly, j.M, j.M, j.H xx unfly, j.H, land, j.u+F, j.M, j.M, j.d+H, j.S, land, c.M, s.H, s.S, sj.M, j.M, j.d+H, j.S, land, H Smart Bombs xx Proton Cannon

It deals 748,300 damage but that's not the reason its so good. Its good because you can hit confirm it from max range of j.H. When you do c.M, s.H xx Fly j.M, you are basically utilizing the strength of Tony's long normals to do the full combo. If you can hit from j.H range on the ground, even if its just the very tip, you can do this combo, but its important you do j.M instead of j.L after fly for it to work.

For this reason just doing normal jumps (bunny hopping) and hitting j.H is stupid good. Iron Man is a really underrated character in my opinion but he has a really high execution barrier. I have that bnb down in training mode but hit confirming it in real matches is a different story. But yeah if you want to learn Iron Man its the most important thing. Also the character sub forum on SRK for him is actually really good with discussion right now of advancing Stark technology and working on making bad matchups more manageable (with Tony has a lot of unfortunately).

Wow I didn't realize that j.H was so good. What is his gameplan then? Stay away and fire c.H missiles xx unibeam until they make a move then stuff them with j.H?

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Dren posted:

Wow I didn't realize that j.H was so good. What is his gameplan then? Stay away and fire c.H missiles xx unibeam until they make a move then stuff them with j.H?

Your best bet is to treat Iron Man like Guile in SF because he basically is. He's a midscreen control character. Your best options are.

c.H Missile xx Unibeam
Super Jumping and dumping H Smart Bombs on your opponent
Using j.H normals to keep your opponent at bay (hold forward why you do them so you get a throw option select).

The official guide has a good write up on him too but yeah, basically you need to play lame/keepaway. His box jump with j.S is still really good but you should basically wait until your opponent has made a mistake to use it. Also, although his ADDF kind of sucks, ADDB is really good when using j.S as its really fast, helps you retreat, and if you land with the j.S you get a full combo into krispy kreme bnb. Your super jump ADDF from Super Jump height leaves you right in front of the opponent with plenty of time to block, so alternate this with air Smart Bombs. You can even convert the Smart Bombs into a combo off j.H if you're spacing/hit confirms are good enough, but HSD will be taxed by the Smart Bombs at that point.

Flight cancel blockstrings too. s.H xx Fly leaves you at + 3, and c.H xx Flight leaves you at plus 9. Only do c.H if you confirm a block though because its not that great in combos.

Also when doing H Smart Bomb OTG into hyper combos here is the rule of thumb: with Proton Cannon, wait until after the last bomb has hit to cancel into PC or the opponent will get hit by a bomb during the PC animation and flip out. For Iron Avenger, cancel H Smart Bombs into IA IMMEDIATELY. Don't wait at all, or Iron Man will fly below them like an rear end in a top hat. Its not intuitive (nothing Iron Man has is intuitive) but it takes all of 5 minutes in training mode to get sorted out. Despite the weirdness of Smart Bombs make no mistake, they are much better than in vanilla and really good in this game.

edit: Oh yeah, and using the Krispy Kreme bnb with Iron Avenger at the end breaks a little over 1.2 million if I remember right. So Iron Man can easily get over 950k with 3 bars.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 31, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceBees posted:

Its good because you can hit confirm it from max range of j.H. When you do c.M, s.H xx Fly j.M, you are basically utilizing the strength of Tony's long normals to do the full combo. If you can hit from j.H range on the ground, even if its just the very tip, you can do this combo, but its important you do j.M instead of j.L after fly for it to work.

It's sort of dumb to only learn one combo and then reduce a character from someone with great trijump mixup potential to just being Haggar with some weak-rear end zoning. Use one if you happen to land j.H, and the other after empty trijump to c.L, rather than jumping around and hoping you get a j.H in a situation where it's hitconfirmable.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Brosnan posted:

It's sort of dumb to only learn one combo and then reduce a character from someone with great trijump mixup potential to just being Haggar with some weak-rear end zoning. Use one if you happen to land j.H, and the other after empty trijump to c.L, rather than jumping around and hoping you get a j.H in a situation where it's hitconfirmable.

Its Iron Man's best bnb combo and hit confirms off everything. I'm gonna guess you misunderstood something I said because if you go ask any Iron Man play they will tell you they swear by that combo.

Here's a video of it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7S2beTBzHo&feature=player_embedded

It hit confirms off c.L too..again, I think you are missing something here. Yes Iron Man has a lot of combos you should learn (one after a corner throw, one after an air throw, one for anti-air j.H), but for bnbs sake that one is the most important. All of IM's "swag" combos that have you doing several air dashes or flight cancels do less damage and build less meter then the Krispy Kreme. Learn this combo if you are going to play Iron Man.

For anti-air and combos off airthrows, you're going to want to use different combos, but off any sort of hit confirm, do that one.

Your airthrow combo is: Forward or back airthrow: ADF j.M, j.uH, land, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.dH, S, OTG Smart Bomb H, Proton Cannon/Iron Avenger

Your anti-air combo is: j.H airdash j.M, j.H, Land, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.dH. Its really spacing dependent and you'll have to practice it a lot. Iron Man has a lot of anti air combos you can get creative with but they all require a lot of practice.

Its combo 5 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbUWssxoiY&feature=player_embedded

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 1, 2012

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So, there was an update today it seems, does anybody have a changelog?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
No balance changes whatsoever, according to Niitsuma.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Heath posted:

So, there was an update today it seems, does anybody have a changelog?

Capcom says nothing changed, people on SRK call bullshit on that because they say apparently Turnabout Wright's XF Damage is equal to his XF3 boosts no matter what level he is in.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Capcom says nothing changed, people on SRK call bullshit on that because they say apparently Turnabout Wright's XF Damage is equal to his XF3 boosts no matter what level he is in.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: gently caress Megaman Phoenix Wright.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Krad posted:

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: gently caress Megaman Phoenix Wright.

Isn't that a buff?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

AXE COP posted:

Isn't that a buff?

Yeah, although it's kind of an odd one. Basically it means once Wright lands the Objection he can turn on XF and kill any character right there.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yeah, although it's kind of an odd one. Basically it means once Wright lands the Objection he can turn on XF and kill any character right there.

Oh, huh, I thought you meant it the other way around.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Finally got around to playing offline matches at a local fighting game place. Got my poo poo stomped in. I could not for the life of me do my combos/ buffer a single thing. I don't know if it was tournament jitters or what.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a dual mod stick. How are the Eightarc Fusion sticks? I'd rather get something with all the parts and assembly in order and pay a small premium versus diy.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Wozbo posted:

Finally got around to playing offline matches at a local fighting game place. Got my poo poo stomped in. I could not for the life of me do my combos/ buffer a single thing. I don't know if it was tournament jitters or what.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a dual mod stick. How are the Eightarc Fusion sticks? I'd rather get something with all the parts and assembly in order and pay a small premium versus diy.

Do you have a 360 MadCatz TE? The TEasy Strike mod that's available at Phreakmods.com is what I used and it was pretty much the easiest mod (read: solderless) I've ever done on any device. I'm actually thinking about getting the Link JLF from FocusAttack for my stick now, so it'd be easier to transport around.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Unfortunately no, a PS3 stick here :( I just want a nice high quality stick I can use on any system.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wozbo posted:

My eightarc fusion will be in tomorrow. I'll give you a trip report once I get my hands on it. Lots of people saying they're good though.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

It was definitely like that before the patch, I remember posting in this very thread about it.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

Wozbo posted:

Unfortunately no, a PS3 stick here :( I just want a nice high quality stick I can use on any system.

I have a fusion ivory and its awesome. Haven't had an issue with it. Also I installed the link in it and that also works awesome. Ill be getting a second for my other stick.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Starrett posted:

I have a fusion ivory and its awesome. Haven't had an issue with it. Also I installed the link in it and that also works awesome. Ill be getting a second for my other stick.
Same setup here, but with an Ebony. Also no complaints, runs great on either of my consoles. I was perfectly happy with my PS3 TE but wanted a stick for both consoles. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I prefer the Fusion. I didn't think it would be that different and I learned on a TE so I thought I'd always be partial to it, but the little things really add up and I haven't looked back at all.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
God, MvC is not an easy to maintain skillset. I step away from the game for a month and I'm not able to do even simple combos or play the game.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I recently added Trish to my team with Frank and Zero, with her as my 3rd, but I really don't know how to play her too well, or even which assist is better. You guys have any tips for me to learn from?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

FighterKnuckles posted:

I recently added Trish to my team with Frank and Zero, with her as my 3rd, but I really don't know how to play her too well, or even which assist is better. You guys have any tips for me to learn from?

I think peekaboo is the most widely used assist.

I'd check out some recent FC Jago matches. I believe he's the highest profile Trish around now.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Hey, trying to get better at this game, and I have little to no idea what I'm doing.

Before I get into learning combos (that's just practice, practice, practice), how does one go about picking a team? I'm comfortable with Vergil/Dr. Strange/Morrigan at a basic level, but I don't know if that's a viable team at all.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

OmegaGoo posted:

Hey, trying to get better at this game, and I have little to no idea what I'm doing.

Before I get into learning combos (that's just practice, practice, practice), how does one go about picking a team? I'm comfortable with Vergil/Dr. Strange/Morrigan at a basic level, but I don't know if that's a viable team at all.
When you're just starting out, I don't think what characters you choose matters too much (unless you're using Hsien-Ko or Phoenix Wright, who I would steer people away from). You should have them in a good order with the right assist choices though. In your case, I think you have a good team setup already if you're using them in the order you listed. As far as assists, don't know about Vergil but Strange's Bolts of Balthakk (horizontal beam) should support Vergil well and Morrigan's Dark Harmonizer (gives 30% meter) should support both Vergil and Strange well.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
After watching today's Excellent Adventures I've decided I'm going back to my Ghost Rider/Sentinel/??? team as my main team. I'm thinking of running Arthur for maximum trollage but I may keep Doom in there for hidden missiles.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Thoughts on a X-23/Zero/Ammy team? I like my speed and priority, but I'm thinking it's way too glass-cannonish, and I'm not really sure who would be anchor or what assists X-23 and Zero would use. I just wanna use Cold Star for stupid, braindead easy mixups and pressure, plus some Dirt Nap setups.

Maybe I'll give up on X-23 just so I don't have to listen to her annoying theme song.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Dias posted:

Thoughts on a X-23/Zero/Ammy team? I like my speed and priority, but I'm thinking it's way too glass-cannonish, and I'm not really sure who would be anchor or what assists X-23 and Zero would use. I just wanna use Cold Star for stupid, braindead easy mixups and pressure, plus some Dirt Nap setups.

Maybe I'll give up on X-23 just so I don't have to listen to her annoying theme song.

3 good characters but no good assists when X-23 is on point. You need something like Akuma's tatsu assist or Sent drones or Doom plasma beam to cover horizontal space during your approach. Cold Star is a good assist for after you get a knockdown but if you're full screen what are you gonna do to get in?

X-23's biggest weakness is her predictable angles of approach so you need to cover her when she moves in and mix them up.

Also X-23's music owns.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iPodschun posted:

(unless you're using Hsien-Ko or Phoenix Wright, who I would steer people away from).

Is there a specific reason for this? I've just started playing Hsien-Ko and I find her to be a lot of fun when I can get her incredibly wonky combos down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

OmegaGoo posted:

The first step to team building should be to pick characters you really like and see how they work together. Assign roles to them like Point, Assist, Anchor. Point characters are who you want to start the match with and you'll want to enhance their potency with assists that complement their strengths or cover their weaknesses. Assist characters are typically there because they have a really good assist for your point character, but they should also be able to fill the Point role should your main character go down. Anchors are the characters you expect to be the only one remaining should your first 2 go down. Good Anchors should be able to survive and deal damage on their own because they'll have no assist back up or characters to DHC into for extra damage. A lot of things can happen in a match that messes with character order (DHCs, Snap Backs etc.) but more often than not the character you pick third will be your last character standing.

In your case Vergil will be your point character. Vergil will need an assist to help cover his teleport mixups and, like iPodchun said, Dr Strange's Bolts of Balthakk should do nicely. Since Vergil is a meter hog, Morrigans meter building assist seems like a perfect fit. The problem is what to do when Vergil goes down. Dr Strange can create his own mix ups with his projectiles and teleports, but he does best with an assist to help create space and Morrigans meter building assist doesn't do that. I don't know much about Morrigan other than Soul Fist spam, but I don't see her as being a good Anchor. (Hell, maybe Soul Fist Spam DOES make her a good Anchor. I don't know.) Combine this with the fact that her assist doesn't give Dr. Strange the aid he really needs, you may want her second so she can benefit from Bolts of Balthakk. Plus, Dr. Strange can be a potent Anchor with X-Factor and Spell of Vishanti which is arguably one of the best Supers in the game.

However, having Morrigan second may mean you won't have the best DHC synergy with Vergil. I'm not sure, it's just something you'll have to work out in training mode. I just wanted to point out that character order is almost, if not equally, important to team building. Have fun experimenting, but don't be surprised if you find yourself having to rework your team because of poor synergy.

• Locked thread