Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So I finally gave Google Music a try and I feel so guilty about using the 3D effect. I know it ruins all the work the producers put into making their music sound good but on the other hand I AM HEARING IN THREE DEE

How do you get this? I have Google Music on my NS4G but I'm not sure how to turn it on. Is it ICS only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

hooah posted:

I have two questions regarding Facebook stuff:
1) Am I crazy, or did the official FB app, right after the redesign, let you see a sort of photo newsfeed? As in, you could tap the newspaper icon, then choose "news feed", "photos", etc.

2) Is there a scrollable, resizeable widget that works for ICS? I've tried Wizz, but it shits itself when I first tell it to refresh ("Unfortunately, Wizz has stopped"). Colorize needs me to log in in the Android settings, but that's apparently not available yet in 4.0.2.

1) Yes, you are correct. I'm not sure what happened, but I noticed that the option was no longer available a couple of weeks ago.
2) Any widget at all? I have simple calendar widget on my homescreen. Resizeable and scrolls just fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

Connectbot doesn't work for this, doesn't have an option that I can see, tunneled ports started with connectbot are accessible only by the phone.
I actually was never able to get tunnels to work in ConnectBot, so I use command-line ssh for them.

Wagonburner posted:

But how do I make this easier and not have to type all that (plus a bunch more tunnels that I want) put it in a shell script and execute that from local busybox using connectbot?
I don't know if it's optimal, but what I do is create a new "local" entry in ConnectBot dedicated for the purpose of running said script. After creating it, if you long-press on the entry and select "Edit host" there's an option for "Post-login automation" which you can set to "exec sh /path/to/script.sh". You might even be able to do "exec ssh ..." and avoid the need for a script. If it requries root, "exec su -c 'sh /path/to/script.sh'" works as well.

Note: For the above "Post-login automation" to actually, well, automate, you have to enter a newline (press enter/return) at the end of the "exec ..." command, which should expand the text box with an empty line.

So yeah, by doing all that you've short-cutted the script to a ConnectBot "host" entry you can just click on. That's good enough for me that I've never bothered to try to shortcut that further.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Steriletom posted:

2) Any widget at all? I have simple calendar widget on my homescreen. Resizeable and scrolls just fine.

A facebook widget, specifically. All of the multi-widget things I've tried work fine for Twitter or calendars, but for some reason I can't find a facebook one that will both load information AND be resizeable. I even tried Pure Messenger for ~5 minutes, but it didn't load anything either.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ExcessBLarg! posted:

new "local" entry in ConnectBot dedicated for the purpose of running said script.
You might even be able to do "exec ssh ..." and avoid the need for a script.

Awesome, I just did the whole long ssh command in post login info without even doing a script, works great.

edit: question though, If hit disconnect in connectbot and get out of connectbot completely without typing exit from my busybox ssh session, the busybox ssh session seems to stay active in the background (the tunnels still work).

I don't know how to get back to it to end it other than rebooting or doing a ps -a|grep ssh then kill command, anything I can do so that ssh session ends when the connectbot local term window closes?

edit: before I started playing around today I had no idea I had built in command line ssh edit again: or grep!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 2, 2012

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do you get this? I have Google Music on my NS4G but I'm not sure how to turn it on. Is it ICS only?

I think it's ICS only. Volume + has a similar feature though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

lelandjs posted:

I think it's ICS only. Volume + has a similar feature though.

I'd still like to know what you're talking about.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hooah posted:

Like 3D glasses but for your ears.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ciabatta posted:

Like 3D glasses but for your ears.

So some sort of surround sound? Do you need compatible headphones?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

hooah posted:

and by ruins the producer's work he's joking about how audio purists think of most all dsp effects and all kinds of sim-surround effects modes as the devil's work.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I would like to know how to activate this so called, three dimensional sound.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Codiusprime posted:

I would like to know how to activate this so called, three dimensional sound.

I managed to find it, at least on the ICS version of Google Music. While you're listening to a track, hit the menu button in the action bar, then choose "Sound effects." You'll be able to use a 5-band equalizer with presets, a separate bass boost, and this 3D effect thing. I think the latter is just panning stuff harder to either (or both) side(s), simulating a wider audio field.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hooah posted:

I managed to find it, at least on the ICS version of Google Music. While you're listening to a track, hit the menu button in the action bar, then choose "Sound effects." You'll be able to use a 5-band equalizer with presets, a separate bass boost, and this 3D effect thing. I think the latter is just panning stuff harder to either (or both) side(s), simulating a wider audio field.

I think this is ICS only. I've had to use Equalizer on my phone in the past to get this. Good to see it's native in the OS this time around.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there an app that is more reliable than Setting Profiles and simpler than Tasker that can turn off notification sounds and vibration during certain hours?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there an app that is more reliable than Setting Profiles and simpler than Tasker that can turn off notification sounds and vibration during certain hours?

I've been using Ring Scheduler for a while and been pretty pleased with it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So the 3D effect isn't just setting the audio to Mono? :v:

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I use llama, to set sound profiles based off calendar events.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

beedeebee posted:

I tried Easy Money for a while. It's decent, only reason I stopped using it is because I got lazy really. It isn't free, but there is a free trial.
Same here. I liked it enough to pay the :10bux: but now I'm down to one bank account that's easy to manage so I don't really use it anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've been using Nova Launcher on my Galaxy Nexus for the past couple days and I've used it a bit on the wife's Nexus S since ICS dropped. Is it bad that I'm essentially forcing myself to get used to it instead of going back to LauncherPro Plus? I really miss swipe actions on the dock (particularly the bookmark scroll) and the LPP Twitter widget. Does anyone remember the name of that LPP widget lookalike?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Anyone has some good suggestions for an alarm? I installed Alarm Clock Plus, and it works great. But in combination with my Go Launcher lockscreen, it isn't all that great. I can't set the snooze time through the lockscreen, with alarm clock plus you can select the time you want to snooze, and when that time is over, you can snooze again, a different time. For example, first snooze 5 min, then snooze again for 10 min and then get up.
That seems to be impossible with the lockscreen. Is there an alarm that does this? or should I just change my lockscreen?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
So i retardedly set my phone up with my work email account because nobody ever loses their job right?!... right?!

I lost my job.

Thinking i was being clever i decided to back up my contacts to my sim and then was going to import them back in after doing the factory reset. Only a simcard can only hold around 200 contacts, and forgetting that this was my work address with nigh on 1000 contacts i conveniently lost a lot of personal contacts while retaining a whole bunch of work stuff that i no longer need.

Now, not such a big problem as MOST of the people i know have their numbers on FB and it's synched nicely, but as they're not actually 'on' the phone it's not picking them up in things like WhatsApp etc.

Now i know i can create a duplicate contact entry and merge the two which copies the data to the phone and all is good, but doing that one at a time is annoying.

Anyone know of a quick way to do this?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I've been using Nova Launcher on my Galaxy Nexus for the past couple days and I've used it a bit on the wife's Nexus S since ICS dropped. Is it bad that I'm essentially forcing myself to get used to it instead of going back to LauncherPro Plus? I really miss swipe actions on the dock (particularly the bookmark scroll) and the LPP Twitter widget. Does anyone remember the name of that LPP widget lookalike?

Android Pro Widgets. They even have a nice ICS theme for the widgets.

I don't think its bad, it's basically what I did and I'm finding I don't really miss a whole lot from Go when it comes right down to it. In fact I rooted so I could make Nova a system file and get the widgets in the app drawer. I'm a sucker for eye candy yo.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Google Voice is set to make all calls with my GV number, but as of the last month or so people have been saying I'm calling them from a different number, my Verizon number. I've reinstalled GV, and it is still set to make all calls with GV number, but my Verizon number always shows up. Any ideas?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
To chime in on that, about a month ago my texts started being sent from my GV number; not sure why.

More generally, is there any good reading on exploiting GV integration to the hilt? I just use it for Craigslist, and I'm sure that's pretty weak as far as using GV well goes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Codiusprime posted:

Android Pro Widgets. They even have a nice ICS theme for the widgets.

I don't think its bad, it's basically what I did and I'm finding I don't really miss a whole lot from Go when it comes right down to it. In fact I rooted so I could make Nova a system file and get the widgets in the app drawer. I'm a sucker for eye candy yo.

How do you do the latter thing? I read the first post or two in the XDA thread about Nova Launcher and saw the mention of a system app, but didn't see where to get that apk/how to make it a system app.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

hooah posted:

How do you do the latter thing? I read the first post or two in the XDA thread about Nova Launcher and saw the mention of a system app, but didn't see where to get that apk/how to make it a system app.

There is a flashable zip in the first post of that thread I think. Just put it on the SD card, boot into recovery and flash it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Alright, I'll check it out when I get home. Another question about ICS: I'm using WidgetLocker, and one of the sliders is set to open the camera, but when I slide to it, I get an error that says "application not installed on your phone". I don't have a replacement application or anything, and the camera works fine if I open it from the app drawer. What's going on?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Not sure but what double check the unlocker settings and see what you have that slider set to. IIRC, you can go to Application and pick the Camera app, or you can go to WidgetLocker Actions and there should be one for camera in there.

Either works fine for me, but maybe try whichever method you aren't using currently?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Drifter287 posted:

Not sure but what double check the unlocker settings and see what you have that slider set to. IIRC, you can go to Application and pick the Camera app, or you can go to WidgetLocker Actions and there should be one for camera in there.

Either works fine for me, but maybe try whichever method you aren't using currently?

That did it; thanks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

I don't know how to get back to it to end it other than rebooting or doing a ps -a|grep ssh then kill command, anything I can do so that ssh session ends when the connectbot local term window closes?
Automatically I'm not sure. Probably the easiest thing to do is not manually disconnect but keep ConnectBot running (if you need to access another host, the back button works), and then when you want to shutdown the tunnels open that sessions and do a Ctrl-C.

Otherwise you could do some fancy scripting stuff to background the ssh processes, record their process IDs and write them somewhere. Then, at the top of the script check if the process-ID-file exists and if so, kills the processes instead of spawning new ones, removing the process-ID-file at the end.

That's a bit complicated though.

Wagonburner posted:

edit: before I started playing around today I had no idea I had built in command line ssh edit again: or grep!
Is this CM?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

yamdankee posted:

Google Voice is set to make all calls with my GV number, but as of the last month or so people have been saying I'm calling them from a different number, my Verizon number. I've reinstalled GV, and it is still set to make all calls with GV number, but my Verizon number always shows up. Any ideas?

Welcome to Google Voice! Get used to settings randomly changing for no explainable reason and the changes won't even show on the settings page. Just set the setting to something else and then reset it the way you want and it should stick (for a while anyway). It's kind of annoying.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

FlyingCheese posted:

Welcome to Google Voice! Get used to settings randomly changing for no explainable reason and the changes won't even show on the settings page. Just set the setting to something else and then reset it the way you want and it should stick (for a while anyway). It's kind of annoying.

I try it on each of the settings and it's like I'm not changing anything. This is all through the app itself, should I try a setting somewhere else?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

yamdankee posted:

I try it on each of the settings and it's like I'm not changing anything. This is all through the app itself, should I try a setting somewhere else?

Check the website

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm on my laptop updating the calendar connected to my Gmail account and I've got everything all nice and color-coded based on what it is (class, teaching etc). However, when I view the calendar on my phone or tablet all the events show up the same color (blue), except for holidays which are red. Looking through the Settings, I see this-

(blue) "C-Euro's e-mail" [X]
(yellow) "Contacts' birthdays and events" [X]
(red) "U.S. Holidays" [X]

So it's automatically turning all my events the same color since they're all on the same calendar account. Is there a way to have them color-coded the way I have them through Google on my computer, or do I have to make separate layers and stack them together?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

yamdankee posted:

Yeah, the settings on the website offer even more stuff that you can't access in the app. It's pretty stupid.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

C-Euro posted:

I'm on my laptop updating the calendar connected to my Gmail account and I've got everything all nice and color-coded based on what it is (class, teaching etc). However, when I view the calendar on my phone or tablet all the events show up the same color (blue), except for holidays which are red. Looking through the Settings, I see this-

(blue) "C-Euro's e-mail" [X]
(yellow) "Contacts' birthdays and events" [X]
(red) "U.S. Holidays" [X]

So it's automatically turning all my events the same color since they're all on the same calendar account. Is there a way to have them color-coded the way I have them through Google on my computer, or do I have to make separate layers and stack them together?

It sounds like you're importing a calendar into GCal. If that's the case it's not going to work. You want proper color coding you need to manage your entries using GCal as a stand alone.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Automatically I'm not sure. Probably the easiest thing to do is not manually disconnect but keep ConnectBot running (if you need to access another host, the back button works), and then when you want to shutdown the tunnels open that sessions and do a Ctrl-C.

Otherwise you could do some fancy scripting stuff to background the ssh processes, record their process IDs and write them somewhere. Then, at the top of the script check if the process-ID-file exists and if so, kills the processes instead of spawning new ones, removing the process-ID-file at the end.

That's a bit complicated though.

Is this CM?

Yeah it is cm. It's been a while since I've used a gui on a linux machine but i thought if you had a xterm window open that you ssh'ed into something with, if you closed the window, the ssh session closes, I guess I was thinking too much about everything being like linux in regards to ssh since so much already is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

big mean giraffe posted:

If you're looking for toggle widgets, use Widgetsoid. By far the best for a simple classy looking toggle, you can even match ICS's theme. Considering the clock in BW is a digital clock I wouldn't hold out for analog skins. You know you can use the weather separately and just use the Android built in analog widget.

How do I match the ICS theme in Widgetsoid?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 3, 2012

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.

lelandjs posted:

The Humble Indie Bundle is back, this time with an Android twist. Four great Android games: Edge, World Of Goo, Osmos, and Anomaly, for whatever you want to pay. I dropped $6 (slightly higher than the average when I bought it) but these games are so good I'm thinking about increasing that to $10.

Hey thanks for the recommendation, this rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just saw this on Lifehacker: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.syncly

Seems like it's the best Dropbox photo syncer I've seen yet. Take a photo and it's automatically synced to Dropbox. No fuss, it's just done.

Only problem is it requires you to create a Syncly account for some dumb reason.

• Locked thread