Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When I got an iMac I dropped Outlook and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Having had to use Outlook for work, I'd say that 2011 is light years ahead of previous versions. It's incomparably better in every single way.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xie posted:

Hey it was a while ago but this thread gave me some good recommendations to learn OSX and stuff and I re-applied for the same job a few months later and got it :toot: Thanks guys
Congratulations!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pipes! posted:

Having had to use Outlook for work, I'd say that 2011 is light years ahead of previous versions. It's incomparably better in every single way.

I support a lot of exchange users and strangely, I've never had a single issue reported with Office 2011...

Although on my MBP it seems to crash while synching up my mailbox... But I do have about eleventy billion emails in there, so I'm not that surprised.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why doesn't grab have a fit-to-page printing feature like Preview? Why doesn't it have 'save and open in preview because grab is loving worthless' option?

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I don't really know where to ask this so I guess I'll just post it here, it's not really a problem anymore so much as just general confusion.

Okay so I made the switch to Chrome about two weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I mysteriously was locked out of my school accounts(email, blackboard, etc), then two days ago I wasn't able to log onto my Something Awful account(this). Not only was it not allowing me to log in, but it wasn't letting me even reset the password with an email address. So I was wondering if I had a keylogger or a virus, I really wasn't happy with the idea that my account passwords were no longer working and needed to be upset. Then today again I wasn't able to log onto my school accounts. I loaded up safari to see if it would work and viola - my school accounts work and my SA account works.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell could have happened?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Chiming in to say that I use an MBP 2011 at work with OSX Lion and have used Office 2011 since July of '11. In general it's fantastic. It's stable, supports most features that the Windows version has, and is fast. I highly recommend it..

The things it lacks are some Power features you'd find in the Windows version, but they aren't deal-breakers in most cases (e.g. Editing an exchange Distribution List in Outlook contact properties).

Also, I prefer Outlook to Lions mail client.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Why doesn't grab have a fit-to-page printing feature like Preview? Why doesn't it have 'save and open in preview because grab is loving worthless' option?

Command-C, Switch to Preview, Command-N

Or try Skitch, it seems to be like SuperGrab, you can event put arrows and text on.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Can you use the screenshot shortcuts instead of Grab? You could then go straight from the clipboard then into Preview (add ctrl to the usual cmd-shift-3/4 to send to clipboard).

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

10.7.3 is out! Looks like an exciting one...

e: Might as well post my Chrome problem, since the other thread wasn't any help.

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I'm in OSX 17.0.963.46, and a lot of Flash content isn't showing up for me unless it's fullscreen. YouTube is fine, but otherwise I get a lot of blank space. It's been happening for a little while.

e: Now YouTube's not working. It's all super inconsistent. Also the audio always works (if you can find the play button!)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

xie posted:

Hey it was a while ago but this thread gave me some good recommendations to learn OSX and stuff and I re-applied for the same job a few months later and got it :toot: Thanks guys

You have to give us all your first paycheck now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, 10.7.3 is installed, and Server Admin Tools 10.7.3 are installed.

Workgroup Manager still gives the An error of type -14910 occurred error.
Server Admin still has trouble reading ACLs from the login server, and still displays folders/icons deformed on first load.

When I Google the error in Workgroup Manager, the only results I find are me bitching about it in the past on this forum and MacRumors. It's been over half a year, and server interaction is just completely loving dead on any system with Lion installed. I have to remote in from my Mac running Lion to any other Mac running 10.5 or 10.6 just to manage our servers.

I've submitted bug reports with 10.7.0, 10.7.1, 10.7.2, and 10.7.3.

This Lion poo poo has majorly accelerated our "all Apple servers go into the trash" plans.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

10.7.3 is out! Looks like an exciting one...

750MB is bigger than usual, isn't it? 15 of that is an Airport update....

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

750MB is bigger than usual, isn't it?
It's a surprisingly large update considering it's almost entirely bug fixes.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a surprisingly large update considering it's almost entirely bug fixes.

I'm noticing some slightly improved systemwide performance, so maybe "bug fixes" includes "your stuff is faster now".

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I guess that "forgetting trackpad settings" takes up a lot of space.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Both of my systems forgot their default IRC client after installing 10.7.3. :confused:

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
Installed 10.7.3 on my MacBook Air, and all of my apps crashed with "CUI CUI CUI" overlaid in garbled colorful boxes on all of the buttons. Restoring from Time Machine and installing the combo 10.7.3 update from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484 apparently fixes it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Is there a recommended Anti-Virus option for OSX Lion? Something like MSE for Windows?

edit: This is for a 2011 MBA 13" so I can take a little bit of a performance hit.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Rabid Snake posted:

Is there a recommended Anti-Virus option for OSX Lion? Something like MSE for Windows?

edit: This is for a 2011 MBA 13" so I can take a little bit of a performance hit.
No one uses anti-virus anymore.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's this Time Machine business and should I use it?

e: Meaning that I know what it is, but I've never used to back up my computers before. Why should I start now?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 2, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Xabi posted:

What's this Time Machine business and should I use it?

e: Meaning that I know what it is, but I've never used to back up my computers before. Why should I start now?

If you’ve never backed up your data now is a great time to do it. poo poo happens-hard drives fail, houses catch fire, and computers get stolen. You could risk not backing up and sometimes get away with it, sure. But there’s no way to tell. And if you do need that backup, you’ll be so grateful. USB drives are so inexpensive-cost certainly is no excuse.

Would you be sad if you lost your photos? Would you be sad if you lost your music? Imagine if someone walked into your house and stole your computer. Would you be upset with losing the data on your computer right now? If the answer is no, then maybe you shouldn’t back up. (Still, you should always backup….)

Time Machine is wonderful and it’s easy as hell to see everything on your hard drive at any given backup. If you know losing your data wouldn’t upset you, it’s still a good idea to backup using Time Machine. If you ever have an issue with your computer and have it replaced by Apple, all you would have to do to pick up precisely where you left off (last backup) would be to restore from said backup. It’s seamless.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Strangelet Wave posted:

Installed 10.7.3 on my MacBook Air, and all of my apps crashed with "CUI CUI CUI" overlaid in garbled colorful boxes on all of the buttons. Restoring from Time Machine and installing the combo 10.7.3 update from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484 apparently fixes it.

Same problem here on my 11" 2nd gen MacBook air.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm glad I did the combo update on my 2011 Air to begin with then. :shobon:

No problems here other than IRC quirk.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
OK, restored from Time Machine and now I'm downloading the combo updater. This is the first time I've ever had a problem like this.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rabid Snake posted:

You don't need antivirus on OS X.

1Password will do far more for your personal security on a Mac than any AV app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Same problem here on my 11" 2nd gen MacBook air.

Same (mid-2010 13" Pro), looking around the web it seems to strike at random. Glad I have a Snow Leopard install to use until I get around to restoring from Time Machine.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

coldplay chiptunes posted:

No one uses anti-virus anymore.

I use ClamAV to scan my download and e-mail attachment folders, not that it's particularly necessary for now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There are people who swear the delta update (they don't call it that any more, they just call it the 'client' update) works just fine and there's another group who will force quit the gently caress out of Software Update and only install combo updates. I am in that latter group.

Well, combo updates for system revisions only. I'm cool with incremental EFI / security / Java updates..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

There are people who swear the delta update (they don't call it that any more, they just call it the 'client' update) works just fine and there's another group who will force quit the gently caress out of Software Update and only install combo updates. I am in that latter group.
Yep I'm the same. I realize that's probably way overboard for OS X, but it doesn't cost me much time/hassle.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wait, so which should I use? This Macbook is pretty new (arrived with 10.7.2) and I don't have an external HD to do Time Machine updates on, I don't want to break anything. :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Montalvo posted:

Wait, so which should I use? This Macbook is pretty new (arrived with 10.7.2) and I don't have an external HD to do Time Machine updates on, I don't want to break anything. :ohdear:
The combo update is here if you're feeling overly cautious. There's no concrete reason to use it other than having a fast connection and wanting that extra bit of security.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I'll go with the combo update as I'm going to be out all day and don't mind leaving it downloading. :)

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'm looking to sell both my macbook and macbook pro. The drives will be wiped and either Snow Leopard or Lion will be installed, depending on the buyer's choice.

How do I go about also installing iLife '11 without having to set up a user account? Do I need to bake the iLife install into the OS installations somehow? And how would I do that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There are so many random, undocumented changes in this release. :psyduck:

They changed the little hand cursor that shows up in Safari when you hover over a link. Why?!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro i5. It's running 8GB of aftermarket memory and a Mercury Pro SSD.

It came with with Snow Leopard, which occasionally has had on and off booting problems and waking from sleep kernel panics, but it has been stable and workable for the most part, particularly after updating my SSD firmware. I assume most of the problem is with the SSD, but i've never really been able to confirm this.

I decided to finally upgrade to Lion the other night, after hearing someone mention it was more stable with SSD's. I did the appstore upgrade, burned Lion to a CD, then booted into the CD disk utility, wiped the drive and then reinstalled Lion fresh. (I like starting with a clean state).

However, i've noticed since it's noticeably more crashy. If the computer goes to sleep, it will not wake properly, freezing on a black screen with the spinny pinwheel of death rolling on forever. Sometimes I can navigate around a bit, but the keyboard lights are dead and it will not workly until a forced reboot by holding down the power button.

Lion's been updated to the latest spec, and I have the latest EFI updates for the Macbook Pro and SSD. I have absolutely no aftermarket software, except for quicksilver installed at this point. Any ideas?

I'm tempted to call up Apple (as I have extended Applecare), but I don't know if they will support it given I am using an aftermarket SSD and RAM.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Those sleep issues are absolutely related to the SSD. Failure to return form sleep states is the most common issue with SSDs (really any third-party drives) in my experience with testing them.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 2, 2012

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There are so many random, undocumented changes in this release. :psyduck:

They changed the little hand cursor that shows up in Safari when you hover over a link. Why?!

It looks like Mickey Mouse's hand/glove.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
It looks like someone took the old icon and broke his finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Rabid Snake posted:

My company makes us use kaspersky. It's okay and doesn't bog down performance too bad.