Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Aeka 2.0 posted:

She was under photo therapy. Those lights didn't play well with my camera, The sensor was picking up stuff out of normal spectrum. The only way to fix it is to just go B&W like this:

I suppose I should just convert that first one then?

Please don't take this badly or as an insult, and it may be something to do with being a new dad myself, but in black and white those are terrifying to me. It's the coldness of the tone combined with the lack of b&w processing, the similar tones making it hard to determine shapes and what you're really looking at. It's nothing to do with your girls who I'm sure are incredibly lovely, but those two shots are making my dad brain do somersaults. The first four are lovely and sweet (as well as compositionally interesting and emotionally captivating) and make my dad brain warm and pleased.

McMadCow posted:

He's just standing there, doing nothing, and not looking particularly engaged. It's got no narrative to it. You should be making pictures to tell the story of what's happening in there. So come up with an action- fictional is perfectly fine- and try to convey it with your staging/composition/lighting/models.

It's just not doing anything for me, because there's nothing there beyond "guy standing on a manhole cover". Throw in some subtext.

The other thing that immediately sticks out to me as portrait photographer of "regular" people is that he's giving it the infamous "I know there's a camera over there photographing me" face/body language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Gazmachine posted:

Please don't take this badly or as an insult, and it may be something to do with being a new dad myself, but in black and white those are terrifying to me. It's the coldness of the tone combined with the lack of b&w processing, the similar tones making it hard to determine shapes and what you're really looking at. It's nothing to do with your girls who I'm sure are incredibly lovely, but those two shots are making my dad brain do somersaults. The first four are lovely and sweet (as well as compositionally interesting and emotionally captivating) and make my dad brain warm and pleased.

Yes this is why I didn't post these two originally. They have no real focus, it is a jumble to look at. And you are right, I just slid down the saturation and a few quick adjustments, it was really low effort post on my part. Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts, I need people like you guys to strike any doubt.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 27, 2012

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
B&W photos of babies with their eyes closed always creep me out slightly. I'm never sure if the kid is sleeping or not :(

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

McMadCow posted:

:argh: Dark area on the bottom right. WHY IS IT THERE?! :argh:

Also, you inadvertently stumbled on a pet peeve of mine with these. Here are two pictures of your subjects framed in a 1/3 to 2/3 arrangement in a blank frame. Why? What is the point of shifting them off-center when there is absolutely nothing in the rest of the frame?
I'm sure there are circumstances when you can totally kill it with negative space in an otherwise empty frame, but it's not working in these. The rule of thirds is about relationships, and your subjects aren't relating to anything in the empty space.

EDIT: Especially the first shot.

IMHO I liked them more like that than centered (except if they were taken vertically and not horizontally) but I tend to like horizontal pictures more because that's the way my eyes see.

Let's just say I see what you're saying but I don't agree with it.

Edit: as for the dark area, he was sitting on some sort of theater bench, I had no stool :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

:argh: Dark area on the bottom right. WHY IS IT THERE?! :argh:

Also, you inadvertently stumbled on a pet peeve of mine with these. Here are two pictures of your subjects framed in a 1/3 to 2/3 arrangement in a blank frame. Why? What is the point of shifting them off-center when there is absolutely nothing in the rest of the frame?
I'm sure there are circumstances when you can totally kill it with negative space in an otherwise empty frame, but it's not working in these. The rule of thirds is about relationships, and your subjects aren't relating to anything in the empty space.

EDIT: Especially the first shot.

I like the look of the 1/3 to 2/3 arrangement.

Photo108(6x4) by torgeaux, on Flickr

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I've got a question about post, or maybe it's more of a style thing.

My photography tends to be very sharp and vivid, but recently I've been noticing a more washed out, almost hazy style that I really like.

For example :

Flowers

This photographer does it a lot.

Emily Soto : 1

It looks, to me, a little too consistent to be actual lens flare. I'm wondering what she's doing in post to get that look. I've spent so much time making sure my images are sharp and contrasty that I am kinda stumped on how to get this look.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Regardless of the color tones, the emotional impact of this photo is just...drat.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Pagan posted:

...I am kinda stumped on how to get this look.

Are you sure you want to? Flickr is overflowing with zillions of pictures that look exactly like that.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Are you sure you want to? Flickr is overflowing with zillions of pictures that look exactly like that.

I want to know how to do it. What's wrong with having more than one style to choose from?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Easiest way would be to add an exclusion layer, fill it with a colour and adjust the opacity to your liking.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Easiest way would be to add an exclusion layer, fill it with a colour and adjust the opacity to your liking.

That's good advice; messing around with that and a few other effects let me get pretty close.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Here you go, Dorkroom- have some girl-on-girl action. :pervert:

Sasha and Lindsay by McMadCow, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So this has been my January. First up, a quick desk-portrait of my boss, done at the last minute, natural light.

mister stewart by thetzar, on Flickr

This is a co-worker of mine, heading to a different office for a year, natural light.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

These next three are of some friends of mine who went swimming in the Atlantic Ocean at Coney Island on New Year's Day

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Those are all great.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Pagan posted:

I've spent so much time making sure my images are sharp and contrasty that I am kinda stumped on how to get this look.

We use a custom combo of photoshop actions at my studio to get looks like that. v:shobon:v

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_7510 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7669 by avoyer, on Flickr

Be mentally ready to see boudoir/corset shots in the upcoming days :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

xenilk posted:

IMG_7669 by avoyer, on Flickr

Be mentally ready to see boudoir/corset shots in the upcoming days :)

This one is pretty good. She may be a touch too centered for her pose, but that's a personal thing. I'd like to maybe see a little more light on her face since she is engaging the camera.
I like the way you used her pose- good multiple layers of focus. Nice work.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

McMadCow posted:

This one is pretty good. She may be a touch too centered for her pose, but that's a personal thing. I'd like to maybe see a little more light on her face since she is engaging the camera.
I like the way you used her pose- good multiple layers of focus. Nice work.

I agree with the centering, Ideally it would have been nice to have her on the right side of the image. I'll keep that in mind for the next times, I learnt a lot from it :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've asked for some tips on shooting basic headshots for a company address book before (thanks everyone, by the way) and there's something I didn't think of in advance but could have, given the number of people. How do you generally deal with people who have strabismus or other disorders that cause their eyes to not be properly aligned? Something to minimize it during shooting, or "fixing" post? Or nothing, even?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I've asked for some tips on shooting basic headshots for a company address book before (thanks everyone, by the way) and there's something I didn't think of in advance but could have, given the number of people. How do you generally deal with people who have strabismus or other disorders that cause their eyes to not be properly aligned? Something to minimize it during shooting, or "fixing" post? Or nothing, even?

Put the "weird" eye away from the camera, and use short lighting.

Most people with problems like that, though, know exactly how they look, and they're not going to blame the photographer for it. Fat people, on the other hand, have absolutely no idea how much they really weigh until they see a picture, and then it's all the photographers fault.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not necessarily a photography issue and more of a personal issue. It all depends on the situation, the person and your relationship with them. I've had to deal with it once and the guy basically said to me before we started that "my eye can look a bit off from certain angles, so can we keep that in mind?" so I kind of got a get out of jail free card on that one. It's something that needs to be brought up sensitively but assertively, so that you can spend time getting it "right", or indeed if they're cool with it, just getting on with the photo.

I wouldn't recommend altering it in post, especially without their input, because they might be quite insulted by the notion that it needs fixing.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

mobby_6kl posted:

I ask, "Do you prefer one side of your face over another?" since I know plenty of people prefer one over another. I personally generally prefer my left side.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
People made me good food (homemade pasta) I took pictures of their girl as payment.

abi2 3 par king colliwog, sur Flickr

The stupid white thing on the right was corrected, just need to reupload it.

Destroy me!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 1, 2012

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
^^^^
The face seems a little over exposed and the expression seems quite strained. I usually hate photographing kids as they always have that "photo smile" which is basically a toothy grimace. :(

Pagan posted:

Put the "weird" eye away from the camera, and use short lighting.

Most people with problems like that, though, know exactly how they look, and they're not going to blame the photographer for it. Fat people, on the other hand, have absolutely no idea how much they really weigh until they see a picture, and then it's all the photographers fault.
I did a few corporate headshots the other day and had a woman say "I've got a wonky left eye". I put that eye slightly further away from the camera, she came out looking pretty normal.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 1, 2012

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

People made me good food (homemade pasta) I took pictures of their girl as payment.

abi2 3 par king colliwog, sur Flickr

The stupid white thing on the right was corrected, just need to reupload it.

Destroy me!

It's just the tiniest bit overexposed on her face. Not a lot but the tiniest bit.

The composition is fine but her expression is incredibly forced.

It's hard to critique a shot like this because I'm sure her parents love it. What I would ask you is what you would like it to look like? Are you planning to go down the route of kid-tography, or portraiture as a whole, or is this a one off?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

psylent posted:

^^^^
The face seems a little over exposed and the expression seems quite strained. I usually hate photographing kids as they always have that "photo smile" which is basically a toothy grimace. :(

Hahaha, about the expression yeah it's "awful", but I had no time to make her relax and get shots of her where she would actually laugh and give me a real actual smile. Didn't help that she was scared of the flash for a good 20 minutes.

Guess I went a little too far on the post processing because it's not over exposed originally.

--

Gazmachine posted:

It's just the tiniest bit overexposed on her face. Not a lot but the tiniest bit.

The composition is fine but her expression is incredibly forced.

It's hard to critique a shot like this because I'm sure her parents love it. What I would ask you is what you would like it to look like? Are you planning to go down the route of kid-tography, or portraiture as a whole, or is this a one off?

Thought I managed to walk on the fine line between "high" exposition and over exposition, guess I went a little too far. I'll try to knock it down a little bit.

Yeah her parents will love it, but I posted here to get photographers opinions. Because parents will put anything better than snapshots done inside using P&S with flash on in the "drat that's an awesome picture" category. I'm really happy they like it and feel flattered that they decided not to go get some "professional" ((I don't understand why people would ever pay for that overpriced mall photography) photography done this year and just frame some of my shots, but I'm not crazy and know I still have long way to go before I great portraits.

And I would like it to look mostly like that, but with a better expression and a better setting I guess. But then I'd like it to be better than that! And yeah, I'm heading down portrait lane and kid/baby photography and pregnant woman are going to be my best bet if I want to make some money from that in the close future.

Here's a less processed version that isn't overexposed (feel like there's too much red in her face, just over her upper lip mostly):

abi2 by king colliwog, on Flickr

Nukular Winter
Dec 23, 2009
True story: point a camera at my kids and their first instinct is to show every one of their teeth.

A couple pictures where they didn't:

IMG_1132 by CougVandal, on Flickr

IMG_1087 by CougVandal, on Flickr

Nukular Winter fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 1, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nukular Winter posted:

A couple pictures where they didn't:

IMG_1132 by CougVandal, on Flickr

Sanguis Bibimus
Corpus Edimus
Prode Corpus Satani! Ave!

Nukular Winter
Dec 23, 2009
Ha!

I told him to give me the "mean mug", that's what he came up with.

(Also, nice post + custom title)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Oscar (1 of 4) by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Oscar (2 of 4) by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Oscar (3 of 4) by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Oscar (4 of 4) by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Technically one of my most challenging shoots. Balancing an ever changing sunset with strobes, with the ambient blaze of the fire. Not. Easy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Those are great action shots bob, this first and the third are especially BA.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
This looks very challenging technically and I would have taken the easy way out and shot the sunset and the performer separately and then composited them together.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Remo posted:

This looks very challenging technically and I would have taken the easy way out and shot the sunset and the performer separately and then composited them together.

For me, compositing would be way more of a pain than practical lighting.

Really nice shots, but why did you put him so far on the right in the first shot. He's looking out of the frame? I keep wanting to follow his gaze right, and there's nothing to balance him on the left.

The final shot is fantastic.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

IMG_7859 by avoyer, on Flickr

gotta love shoot little ones.. especially when it wasn't planned at all

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
The post processing thread seems to be dead, so I'm asking here instead. I'm not sure about the rules of posting other people's pictures, so please let me know if I'm breaking any rules.
Ok, so I found this picture... While it's not a very interesting picture, I need some help in describing the tone of the picture. It seems to be a mixture of yellow and cyan, but I'm really not at all sure. How would you describe it? I'd like to create this tone in a portrait, but it's not a "classic" retro tone, is it?

The photographer in question is http://amyschuffphotography.com/

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Mathturbator posted:

The post processing thread seems to be dead, so I'm asking here instead. I'm not sure about the rules of posting other people's pictures, so please let me know if I'm breaking any rules.
Ok, so I found this picture... While it's not a very interesting picture, I need some help in describing the tone of the picture. It seems to be a mixture of yellow and cyan, but I'm really not at all sure. How would you describe it? I'd like to create this tone in a portrait, but it's not a "classic" retro tone, is it?

The photographer in question is http://amyschuffphotography.com/

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I think that a slight overexposure, desaturation, lower contrast, up blacks, slight yellow layer.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Not done any portrait stuff for a while, how's this looking?

Jade by AceClown79, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD. Shot a studio portrait for this girl who is a DJ in her spare time.

Kendra by alkanphel, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

alkanphel posted:

Cross-posting from SAD. Shot a studio portrait for this girl who is a DJ in her spare time.

Kendra by alkanphel, on Flickr

I think it's pretty cool, I'd like to know why did you frame her at the wrist? Seems unconventionnal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

xenilk posted:

I think it's pretty cool, I'd like to know why did you frame her at the wrist? Seems unconventionnal
Yeah I know it's a sin to chop people off at the wrists or ankles so I can only say I failed at framing her properly :(