Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Arlaharen posted:

I will never understand why 40k players pick any other faction over orcs. Just look at that awesome truck thing!

Some of us feel obliged to give the Orks someone else to hit in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chet AwesomeLaser posted:

It only took me 3 months but I finally finished this thing. Time to paint some tiny orky-dudes for a while :orks:

gently caress, that's nice.

Great work!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Nothing like posting that I'm going to do my BW this month for Oathing, then having the very next thing I read being that it took you 3 months. I hope I make it...

Awesome job though! Any tips before I start mine up?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Nothing like posting that I'm going to do my BW this month for Oathing, then having the very next thing I read being that it took you 3 months. I hope I make it...

I actually thought the exact same thing. :shobon:

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
I'm a loving moron posted that in the completly wrong place.

Anyone have any good tips on weathering / distressing a drop pod? My space wolves on is too new looking? Quite new to this whole weathering carry on.

gilljoy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 1, 2012

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Business Gorillas posted:

Is that an actual GW chaos dwarf model? Because it looks a lot like Wario.

Nah, those are almost scratch built from green stuff. There might be a BfSP dwarf in there somewhere. I don't really care for the "big hats and noses" CD, but the ones this guy makes do have a lot of personality.

Chet AwesomeLaser posted:

Verdigris doesn't look like that. Voted '1'
:goonsay:

Nah. That looks loving nice.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 1, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

gilljoy posted:

Guys thinking of starting a new 40k Army,

Currently have a SW and a GK army so looking for something non imperial.

Looking at Dark Eldar, Craftworld Eldar as well as possibly tau / necrons but not 100% certain.

I know dark eldar where recently updated but I'm just wondering is it worth starting one of the other armies or will they get an update and alot of the models be made redundant in the next few months?

Eldar are due for an update but that's about all we know. Rumors abound of them getting on this year but all anyone has to go on there is that they have an old codex and super old sculpts.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Does anyone have the link to the awesome battle damage tutorial that someone did on some bonejacks? I can't find it myself.

I tried to add battledamage to my tank and now I'm just angry because I ruined my blue gradient >: |

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Lethemonster posted:

Does anyone have the link to the awesome battle damage tutorial that someone did on some bonejacks? I can't find it myself.

I tried to add battledamage to my tank and now I'm just angry because I ruined my blue gradient >: |

Battle damage on sexy cryx

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Here are some more Thunderhawk pictures. I got the top of the forward hull and the cockpit done last night, tonight's big plan is to get the assault ramp and the forward canards done... and we'll see what the old bits box has by way of heavy bolters too.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Fulcrum progress

So the guide in Domination sucks because I don't have any P3 paints beyond MWH and Brass, so I have to wing it. I primed white and overbrushed with Fortress Grey, leaving the runes white

I took some VGC Slime Green (I think that's the name, it wore off the bottle) and mixed in some slow-dri and glaze medium.

Painting within the lines on something this huge is so mind-numbing, I eventually gave up and just sloshed paint over an entire section then wiped the extra paint off with my thumb. Not the best way to do things but :effort:

I took some green wash and started to apply it randomly to give it a glowing effect. It looks like rear end now but will look better when I clean it up with grey again. I know dick about source lighting.

Here's finished runes and base.

For the glowing ground I just drybrushed green, I figured actually trying to paint the reflection would have ended in tears.

Any C&C? The druids are next!

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

It took three months because I took my sweet time painting it and started 3 other models inbetween.

I have painting ADD

Tips? Test fit everything and use magnets on the front ram incase you ever get the rolla. I also used platicard to extend the turret depth for the gunner, clawguy and grot turret so they didn't fall out when I moved the model.

Chet AwesomeLaser fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 1, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You're a dick. Making me want to repaint my Orks.

I've got Goblins and Eldar to do, and Salamanders.

And Space Wolves.

And Salamanders.

And and and...

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
here are some rendered outputs for the CNCed modular building design Im working on, they are 9"x9" and stackable.

Here are some rendered examples.

rear end you see on the left im playing with a floor extension kit, and on the right an interior wall kit.

I need to come up with a top part now and the basic kit should be ready to test produce.

Ive tried to keep it generic enough to be usable for just about anything.

From what its looking like, it will cost $9 a floor.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would be really incredibly interested if you were to come up with some "less modern" buildings, perhaps a bit more rustic or medieval. Even just small houses 'n sheds and an outhouse or something, that sort of thing. Although I suspect that by their more "organic" nature some of those things might be difficult in sheet stock. :)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I have plans to start working on ye'olde designs next.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Jesus Christ, Seftir :eyepop:

As an aside, I just want a quick opinion check. I'm currently looking for some Fenrisian Wolf stand-ins for some Lone Wolves as there are no official models. Looking around the GW website for a bit I've come across two options:

-Lord of the Ring Wargs, with a picture here for scale.

-Warhammer Fantasy Chaos Warhounds, with some converted versions seen here.

I'm actually leaning towards the wargs, as they wouldn't require much converting to make them work compared to the warhounds, though the warhounds give me a better value for more models in case I decide to make a large unit of Fenrisian Wolves later on.

Just in time for GW to release that new rumored multi-purpose wolf kit. :shepicide: Of course, if I buy the wargs that means I will have spent less money and have less to replace...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

crime fighting hog posted:

Fulcrum progress

Any C&C? The druids are next!

Nothing really to add but goddamn that looks nice. I'd have given up at that green wash stage.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Fearless posted:

Here are some more Thunderhawk pictures. I got the top of the forward hull and the cockpit done last night, tonight's big plan is to get the assault ramp and the forward canards done... and we'll see what the old bits box has by way of heavy bolters too.

Just put some treads on it and make it a sandcrawler!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nothing really to add but goddamn that looks nice. I'd have given up at that green wash stage.

I credit it to an abundance of free time and sheer joy that I'm not painting sails or cannons anymore.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Just put some treads on it and make it a sandcrawler!

The thought had crossed my mind. Given the sheer size of this thing, I think it might be used as a terrain feature more than a vehicle.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

bhsman posted:

I'm currently looking for some Fenrisian Wolf stand-ins for some Lone Wolves as there are no official models.
Maybe the VC dire wolves?

They are modeled to be decaying but they might make a good start for cyber-wolf adamantium skulls and crysis-suit style muscle graphs.

In theory you could get away with just painting, or not.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
There's also this: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1290040

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

That sculpt cannot die and be forgotten fast enough.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I took some VGC Slime Green (I think that's the name, it wore off the bottle) and mixed in some slow-dri and glaze medium.

It's either Escorpena Green or Livery Green. I can't tell them apart unless I see them side by side.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Maybe the VC dire wolves?

They are modeled to be decaying but they might make a good start for cyber-wolf adamantium skulls and crysis-suit style muscle graphs.

In theory you could get away with just painting, or not.

Too much to fix, and while the cyber-wolf idea might work, short of being able to buy the bits for only one it wouldn't be a good idea. :goleft:

Ugh. :barf:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

It's either Escorpena Green or Livery Green. I can't tell them apart unless I see them side by side.

Apparently Livery, it's the brightest one they make. Great for these runes and for Cryx's necro coal

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Apparently Livery, it's the brightest one they make. Great for these runes and for Cryx's necro coal

They're a great set of colors. I used them for my Jade Falcon mechs and the accent colors on my DE.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Got tired of painting Trolls. Took a two hour break to paint a Gorax!

Gorax: "IMA SMASH YOUR FACE!"

Edit: Ima have to take some black oil wash to his loin cloth thing. I painted it just thinking it was his pubes.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 2, 2012

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Looking for some ideas/opinions. I'm doing some sort of battalion challenge where you can make anything from the army list but it has to be represented on the model from parts in the battalion only, so I decided to go with the Dragonhide Banner. This is it so far:

Carving scales into the banner was fun. I like the look of it so far but wanted to see if people thought they looked scaly enough I guess.

I should add that I've just given them a thraka green wash to mute the highlights a little and bring the colours together some more. With the wash on it looks really nice with a shine to it, so I may use some gloss varnish to make the scales pop.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 2, 2012

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Fuegan posted:

Looking for some ideas/opinions. I'm doing some sort of battalion challenge where you can make anything from the army list but it has to be represented on the model from parts in the battalion only, so I decided to go with the Dragonhide Banner. This is it so far:

Carving scales into the banner was fun. I like the look of it so far but wanted to see if people thought they looked scaly enough I guess.

I should add that I've just given them a thraka green wash to mute the highlights a little and bring the colours together some more. With the wash on it looks really nice with a shine to it, so I may use some gloss varnish to make the scales pop.

The scales look awesome, but I'd add a really thin highlight to the raised edges of them. They'd pop more.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The result of a light highlight to edges:

Definitely makes them pop, great idea! Thanks.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Anyone here have experience with alcohol and rust pigments or a handy guide? I'm looking to branch out again.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Fuegan posted:

The result of a light highlight to edges:

Definitely makes them pop, great idea! Thanks.

That looks baller.
Now I have to copy the idea.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

dexefiend posted:

Gorax: "IMA SMASH YOUR FACE!"

Gorax looks great, although I considered suicide upon learning you did that in two hours.

Having decided against it, what did you use for the Circle armour on his forearms?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There is some seriously pro painting going on around here lately.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Hal Gill username posted:

Gorax looks great, although I considered suicide upon learning you did that in two hours.

Having decided against it, what did you use for the Circle armour on his forearms?

His armguards were painted solid GW Shining Gold, then gloss varnished.

Then I mixed a little splash of mineral spirits, a drop of linseed oil, and a dash of green oil paint. Spread it around, cleaned it off the raised edges, and left it to dry. It should be dry by tomorrow or so, maybe this weekend at the latest.. Then I will varnish it again to lock that oil paint in place.

OIL PAINTS FOR LIFE! DOWN WITH THE 100% ACRYLIC MENTALITY!

Edit: Liquitex varnishes and mediums work great btw guys, if you can't find the Vallejo stuff around you.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

There is some seriously pro painting going on around here lately.

I prefer the term "wastes of talent".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No pro-paint here but I did finally get around to painting a mini I had been avoiding for roughly a decade (although there were about 8 years in there during which I didn't paint at all.) The seams between the parts on this are bad but that glue wasn't going anywhere and I decided to not give a poo poo anyhow. :)

Behold!

"I demand offerings of dental floss and Visine!"

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fulcrum progress

Looks rad so far!

• Locked thread