Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xiahou Dun posted:

She died, remember?

Please keep an open mind while in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Chunk posted:

I figured he didn't take it because he took an oath, but now he's free from that.

Of course with Sansa being given the North by Petyr it seems like that's setting up for some conflict as well.
Well he didn't seem to care much about the oath when that dude (blanking on the name) ordered Jon to kill him. Sure it was necessary to keep on living and maybe giving out the <3 Lords Kiss <3 to the wildlings was just a case of being a young adult.

I guess my point is once you break an oath (for what ever reason it may be) it doesn't really have much meaning any more. So why pass up Winterfell when he was already considered to be an oath breaker anyway?

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
When did Old Nan died?, i always figured ASOIAF was Old Nan telling a scary story to Rickon's great grand children in Skagos. She leads a rebelion in the Dreadfort and single handedly led the survivors to Skagos where Rickon is now the cannibal Magnar

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

She's still alive. Old Nan was who they had inside of Renly's armor after he died.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

zocio posted:

When did Old Nan die?

They are talking about Margaret John, the actress that played Old Nan in the HBO series. Obviously, Old Nan the character is perfectly alive and safe forever.

Wili fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 1, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Oh I wasn't aware the actress died. Is she getting recast, a la Dumbledore? I hear Michael Gambon has recently become available...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

Eh, I figure they'll have two things:

1) Davos noticing the chain and the wildfire

2) CGI of the wildfire going off and the chain going up

3) some variant of Tyrion's fight which ensures he gets some sort of easy-to-work-with disfiguring scar

Everything else is either cheap or can be done by someone looking out the window and saying "LOOK! HERE COMES X!"

It's HBO, they always cheap out on huge battle scenes.

But yeah, the Tyrion poo poo where he gets the scar was on some sort of bridge made out of boats or something so they'll be able to do that pretty easily.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
wait, so a single 5-10 second CGI shot of wildfire is too much, but a gigantic chain of broken ships, all of which are on fire, is easy?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Where did I disagree with that?

They're both easy to CG.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm calling it now, this is how they'll deal with Blackwater:

[Cuts between Tyrion and Davos watching CG ships entering the bay]

[Shot of Chain going up with Wildfire]

[Cut to Tyrion in bed talking with Shae or whoegivesafuck about how lucky he was to survive]

And then anything that actually involves the battle will be shot in blurry "flashback" vision.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
How did people generally react to the Green Fork in the TV series? Did people feel cheated? I hadn't read the book when I watched the series, so I didn't really have a point of reference

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Eh, I didn't care much because it wasn't all that important. I was more disappointed that they didn't set up Roose Bolton at all.

More importantly I wish they had done a bit more with the Battle of the Whispering Woods. I'd have loved for them to show Jaime's drive towards Robb, but even doing it like Catelyn's POV from the book would have been nice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Green Fork and Whispering Woods didn't bother me so much, especially since it was a 1st Season and not really the "money shots" of that season.

That said the 2nd and 3rd book feature some seriously epic images, and while I understand and accept that HBO will cut every corner it can to avoid showing it in great sweeping depth, there is a limit before it'll feel really cheap.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Trico posted:

How did people generally react to the Green Fork in the TV series? Did people feel cheated? I hadn't read the book when I watched the series, so I didn't really have a point of reference

I felt cheated by The Green Fork. I felt cheated by the Battle of The Whispering Wood. I felt cheated BY ROBERT BARATHEONS HUNT! They had a giant rear end budget, but no giant rear end boar :(.

Also, in AGOT Tyrion rides with his clansmen in the vanguard and kills 2-3 Northern guys. In the TV Series, he is just knocked unconscious by his own men.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Joramun posted:

Oh I wasn't aware the actress died. Is she getting recast, a la Dumbledore? I hear Michael Gambon has recently become available...

Probably not. I bet anything of significance can be portrayed by Maester Luwin.

I also think Tyrion's nose will survive - it's not really important outside of just making him more grotesque in the books and giving him something to pick at.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

geeves posted:

I also think Tyrion's nose will survive - it's not really important outside of just making him more grotesque in the books and giving him something to pick at.

It's torn clear off, isn't it? That'd just be too disfiguring for people to get behind anymore, and to be honest there's no bloody point to it that the massive gash cut open along half his head doesn't already achieve.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe they'll give him a sexy eye scar or something. They have been playing pretty drat loose with the character descriptions anyways.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

and ^^^^

Nilbop posted:

It's torn clear off, isn't it? That'd just be too disfiguring for people to get behind anymore, and to be honest there's no bloody point to it that the massive gash cut open along half his head doesn't already achieve.

Something like Locke from Lost that's easy and maybe even heals over season 3.

It doesn't define Tyrion like it does Sandor Clegane - but the way they've handled Sandor's burns gives me hope for what they will do with Tyrion.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Actually for a short while it really affects his character. He's already a dwarf, then he becomes a dwarf with a hideous disfigurement. Then it's not really mentioned for that whole last book.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I felt cheated by The Green Fork. I felt cheated by the Battle of The Whispering Wood. I felt cheated BY ROBERT BARATHEONS HUNT! They had a giant rear end budget, but no giant rear end boar :(.

Mind you, the entire hunt happens "offscreen" in the book.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Maytag posted:

Actually for a short while it really affects his character. He's already a dwarf, then he becomes a dwarf with a hideous disfigurement. Then it's not really mentioned for that whole last book.

Well see if he had a nose, he could just follow it to wherever whores go.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

neongrey posted:

Well see if he had a nose, he could just follow it to wherever whores go.

you're thinking of froot loops

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Genital sores can sometimes be multicoloured rings.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
You mean because of their perfume, right?!!?
:ohdear:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Trico posted:

you're thinking of froot loops

That's no way to talk about a male prostitute.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

geeves posted:

Maester Luwin in a wig: "Oh sweet summer child, you know nothing of fear."

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Trico posted:

It got a pretty big eye roll from me. If they had just done one of the two battles that way it would have been fine, but both major battles off camera? Lame.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Genital sores can sometimes be multicoloured rings.

That's at least how *swoon* Daario *swoon* dyes his.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

whowhatwhere posted:

Eh, I didn't care much because it wasn't all that important. I was more disappointed that they didn't set up Roose Bolton at all.

More importantly I wish they had done a bit more with the Battle of the Whispering Woods. I'd have loved for them to show Jaime's drive towards Robb, but even doing it like Catelyn's POV from the book would have been nice.

The Whispering Wood on the show kinda bewildered me. I mean, it's like the whole chapter was written with a limited-budget show in mind, but they still just skipped to the end.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

That's at least how *swoon* Daario *swoon* dyes his.

Daario dyes in WoW.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Junkenstein posted:

The Whispering Wood on the show kinda bewildered me. I mean, it's like the whole chapter was written with a limited-budget show in mind, but they still just skipped to the end.

I don't really get why people expected anything else. At the time they were shooting it, HBO didn't know if anyone was even going to watch this show and it had to be ludicrously expensive even without battle scenes due to all of the characters, locations, period clothing and CGI. Since the showrunners were obviously trying to get down to the bones of a character-driven drama rather than a war show and they barely had enough time for the story as it was, I'm not surprised that they opted to make the CGI dragons awesome and put in another scene between two good actors instead of having a bunch of extras flailing around incoherently for 3 minutes while Catelyn looks pensive or whatever.

Now that the the show is somewhat of a hit and got award recognition, I imagine HBO will release the funds to do a battle scene (which is also a multi-chapter event instead of the 10 paragraphs or whatever Whispering Woods is in GoT) and the people making the show will also be able to use it as a set piece for character development much more easily. The Whispering Woods (as a scene itself) adds basically nothing to the characters. The outcome is all that matters.

The Green Fork one is slightly more important because Tyrion gets to come into his own a little, but it would also have been way more expensive to do so I also wasn't surprised that one was cut.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I didn't expect a big LOTR style rings battle scene, that's exactly my point. The Whispering Wood was a chance to do a battle scene that wasn't a battle scene.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Sophia posted:

I don't really get why people expected anything else. At the time they were shooting it, HBO didn't know if anyone was even going to watch this show and it had to be ludicrously expensive even without battle scenes due to all of the characters, locations, period clothing and CGI. Since the showrunners were obviously trying to get down to the bones of a character-driven drama rather than a war show and they barely had enough time for the story as it was, I'm not surprised that they opted to make the CGI dragons awesome and put in another scene between two good actors instead of having a bunch of extras flailing around incoherently for 3 minutes while Catelyn looks pensive or whatever.

Now that the the show is somewhat of a hit and got award recognition, I imagine HBO will release the funds to do a battle scene (which is also a multi-chapter event instead of the 10 paragraphs or whatever Whispering Woods is in GoT) and the people making the show will also be able to use it as a set piece for character development much more easily. The Whispering Woods (as a scene itself) adds basically nothing to the characters. The outcome is all that matters.

The Green Fork one is slightly more important because Tyrion gets to come into his own a little, but it would also have been way more expensive to do so I also wasn't surprised that one was cut.

The thing to me is that the Green Fork showed Tyrion coming into his own, but the Whispering Wood showed that Robb is kind of a badass too. It would have done well as a nice setup for viewers who don't see the red wedding coming.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

I didn't expect a big LOTR style rings battle scene, that's exactly my point. The Whispering Wood was a chance to do a battle scene that wasn't a battle scene.

Well, I guess I'm just thinking about it from a perspective of someone who's making the show and asking why they need a chance to do a battle scene, especially if it's just going to be vague figures in the woods and the sound of swords. What purpose would it serve? It doesn't really add to the story and it just takes time away from everything else.

I guess it does make Robb kind of badass (though from what I remember it's really more that two people sacrificed themselves for him and then his wolf did the rest than him being awesome), but I think between the other scenes and the actor that they pulled off that aura without needing the battle itself.

Then again one of the reasons I like the show so much better than the books is that it's an opportunity for them to cut out all of the extraneous crap that gets so ponderous and just tell the story of these people. So I'm always looking forward to them cutting stuff out. :) Until they get to the fourth book and they have to start cutting out everything because GRRM doesn't have a story anymore.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sophia posted:

Well, I guess I'm just thinking about it from a perspective of someone who's making the show and asking why they need a chance to do a battle scene, especially if it's just going to be vague figures in the woods and the sound of swords. What purpose would it serve? It doesn't really add to the story and it just takes time away from everything else.

Well, showing Bronn's swordfight doesn't 'add to the story' either.

I think being with Cat as she watches and hears her firstborn lead his men into battle for the first time would have been good to watch.

They were never going to go all out for the big battles, that much was clear as soon as the show was announced, but there should still be tension in some form rather than literally skipping to the end and 'yup, we won'. And with the Whispering Wood, the book hands them a way to do it on a plate.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Blackwater was shot at night so there would be less areas that needed "filling in" by CGI (and probably to make the fire look better.) Neil Marshall is directing it, and he does a pretty good job of making good stuff with no budget. The show also has a bigger budget, more locations, a new CGI shop, and rebuilt set pieces. Just the trailers alone you can see the increased production values that are going into this season. It's not going to be Helm's Deep, but it's not going to be Robert's tourney either.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
All 50 people from King's Landing went to the Tourney of The Hand, i don't know what you mean...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Junkenstein posted:

Having not read the books at the time I still felt a little cheated by the lack of Forks battle, but I thought it was a cool surprise that while the Lannisters thought they were kicking Stark rear end Robb actually pulled one over on them.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Well, showing Bronn's swordfight doesn't 'add to the story' either.

Sure it does, it establishes Bronn's character as a renegade who doesn't give a gently caress about anything, including fighting style, while also providing a method of adding more suspense before the conclusion of Tyrion's imprisonment, an arc that's been happening over the entire episode. It's a natural extension of a prior scene so you don't have to do any extra establishment of location, where Whispering Woods is by its nature a jump cut to a new place. You also get more about how truly dumb Lysa is by the way she handles the fight, along with some nice reaction shots of Robert, Tyrion and Catelyn.

WW gets you "Catelyn is worried about her son, who is fighting", which has already been established in the tent scene earlier. Saved money, saved time, lost nothing. Maybe even added something in the sense that the audience is immediately paid off on what Robb's brilliant plan was after the Lannisters talk about it rather than having to wait to see if it will actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Daario dyes in WoW.
He also does in ADWD. He's the Beric Dondarrion of hair products.