Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

EDIT: Idea already suggested, great use of a first post on a page.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
For background, I'm still very much in the "the 40K fluff is cool and I'd like a few of those plastic mans" zone. I've never: played a game, watched a game, or read a rulebook or codex. I just know what I think looks pretty. I want to paint some Space Wolves, and in fact I've already experimented with painting some of the generic Ultramarines from the painting starter set in SW colors instead. I'd post pictures for critique, but unfortunately I don't have a digital camera (or an analog one for that matter) that doesn't blow complete rear end. :(

Anyway, my question is: I've been using the 50/50 mix of Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey that GW recommends for basic Wolves armor colors, and it ends up looking pretty close to what I see on the boxes (if nowhere near as well highlighted) but I've noticed that a lot of people on the internet seem to prefer a darker and/or non-blue grey for their Wolves. For example, Hell Diver's Logan and bhsman's squad from the oath thread (both of which I thought were amazing, needless to say), but I've seen this coloring on random blogs as well. Is it supposed to be the Horus Heresy era colors or something? Is there some particular reason why so many people seem to go grey? Will I get laughed at for having blue Wolves? :ohdear:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Some people don't think baby blue is hardcore enough for their minis. I think they're crazy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JerryLee posted:

For background, I'm still very much in the "the 40K fluff is cool and I'd like a few of those plastic mans" zone. I've never: played a game, watched a game, or read a rulebook or codex. I just know what I think looks pretty. I want to paint some Space Wolves, and in fact I've already experimented with painting some of the generic Ultramarines from the painting starter set in SW colors instead. I'd post pictures for critique, but unfortunately I don't have a digital camera (or an analog one for that matter) that doesn't blow complete rear end. :(

Anyway, my question is: I've been using the 50/50 mix of Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey that GW recommends for basic Wolves armor colors, and it ends up looking pretty close to what I see on the boxes (if nowhere near as well highlighted) but I've noticed that a lot of people on the internet seem to prefer a darker and/or non-blue grey for their Wolves. For example, Hell Diver's Logan and bhsman's squad from the oath thread (both of which I thought were amazing, needless to say), but I've seen this coloring on random blogs as well. Is it supposed to be the Horus Heresy era colors or something? Is there some particular reason why so many people seem to go grey? Will I get laughed at for having blue Wolves? :ohdear:

No, you won't get made fun of. GW uses space wolves grey and its the "official" scheme but some people don't dig on powder blue marines.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Just a reminder to everyone who doesn't play Infinity that they should.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
How did you make the base? GS + some texture paste?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TastyAvocado posted:

Tasty, your stuff looks great. Infinity models are soooo intricate, and you make them look so good!

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Pierzak posted:

How did you make the base? GS + some texture paste?

GS and dirt from my driveway.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Are Infinity models the same scale as 40k models? I want to use this miniature as a Vindicare stand-in; think that'd work?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

They're thinner with smaller heads and arms, not heroic in the 40k sense. The height will be about right though, and with all that extra bulk of trenchcoat, you're probably good to go.

:ninja:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

Are Infinity models the same scale as 40k models? I want to use this miniature as a Vindicare stand-in; think that'd work?
Same scale, but more realistically proportioned, not as blocky as 40K.

efb~

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Sweet. Thanks guys.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

...but I've noticed that a lot of people on the internet seem to prefer a darker and/or non-blue grey for their Wolves. For example, Hell Diver's Logan and bhsman's squad from the oath thread

I actually based my scheme heavily on HellDiver's. :ssh: Since he owns. :ssh:

I went with the more grey-grey color for a couple of reasons:

-I could get right to work with any minis and not have to worry about A) mixing the paints and B) mixing them correctly for every model in the entire army. Just too much stress

-By using such a neutral grey it also makes the bright, almost 2nd Ed.-esque accent colors pop more, and therefore make the models pop more on the table.

-Grey is objectively better than the baby blue :colbert:

Here is a WIP for the army if you want to see more of them, and let us know if you need any tips. :)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

bhsman posted:

-I could get right to work with any minis and not have to worry about A) mixing the paints and B) mixing them correctly for every model in the entire army. Just too much stress

Yeah, this is really the big thing that would appeal to me about trying to go with pure Codex Grey, since I'm otherwise perfectly happy with the bluish color. You'd think that a paint that they loving call Space Wolves Grey wouldn't need to be mixed 50/50 to get the color that they expect you to paint Space Wolves in. :tizzy:

Today I bought a box of proper Space Wolves and some Codex Grey (which I was going to use for highlighting anyway) and I may do the first one in grey-grey just to see if I like it after all. If I don't, then I'll... shut up and use Simple Green, I guess. :v:

Also, that link to eternityofwar causes my browser to pop up a page saying the site's on a malware list, what's up with that? :stare:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, this is really the big thing that would appeal to me about trying to go with pure Codex Grey, since I'm otherwise perfectly happy with the bluish color. You'd think that a paint that they loving call Space Wolves Grey wouldn't need to be mixed 50/50 to get the color that they expect you to paint Space Wolves in. :tizzy:

I know some people use emptied or already empty Mixing Pots and make an entire batch before painting, but it just struck me as too much of a hassle and for a color I wasn't super-interested in using.

quote:

Today I bought a box of proper Space Wolves and some Codex Grey (which I was going to use for highlighting anyway) and I may do the first one in grey-grey just to see if I like it after all. If I don't, then I'll... shut up and use Simple Green, I guess. :v:

Here's a rundown of what I do just to get you started:

-Assemble models (I usually use stuff like a paper clip to hold up the backpacks and bolters and have them placed on a paint pot using sticky tac and leave the rest of the model assembled as one piece)

-Base with some Elmer's glue, sprinkle sand on (or a basing material as fine as sand), wait to dry and then brush on some watered-down glue, or glued-down water, whatever works

-Basecoat with (Krylon's flat) black spraypaint and give the entire thing a coat of watered-down Chaos Black for uniformity, as there's usually that one spot that isn't covered with spraypaint

-Paint the base Ice Blue and drybrush with white paint, then clean up the model itself with Chaos Black

-Paint the model (aside from the base) Codex Grey and any metal areas Boltgun Metal, then wash everything (aside from the base) with :black:BADABBLACK:black101:

-From there, just re-cover everywhere aside from the crevices with Codex Grey and Boltgun Metal as necessary. From there you can decide whether to add in yellow, red, more black, gold, etc. to the model but that's a little more detail than you need. When you finish, use Astronomicon Grey and just apply a thin-thin-thin highlight to the edges of the Codex Grey 'plates' (like single pieces of plate armor) and wherever there are obvious corners

If it sounds confusing, it's probably because I'm unconciously leaving stuff out that I do, well, unconciously while painting, so the best advice I can give you is to just basecoat, wash, then re-cover and highlight and go from there. :eng101:

quote:

Also, that link to eternityofwar causes my browser to pop up a page saying the site's on a malware list, what's up with that? :stare:

Oh. :stare: I forgot about that. Uhhhhhh just look at my post history in the Oath thread and you'll be golden.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

No pro-paint here but I did finally get around to painting a mini I had been avoiding for roughly a decade (although there were about 8 years in there during which I didn't paint at all.) The seams between the parts on this are bad but that glue wasn't going anywhere and I decided to not give a poo poo anyhow. :)

Behold!

"I demand offerings of dental floss and Visine!"

poo poo hot!
I approve.

Rain has finally stopped for a day and now i can Dullcote all my minis i've worked on. gently caress did i really paint that much in between rounds of BF3?

TastyAvocado posted:

But i only have time and money for one miniture wargame right now. In between work, photography, gaming, playing mutants and masterminds, shadowrun, GMing Pathfinder, Jugger, girlfriend, maintaining my bike and house, brewing beer, painting and playing Battletech, I'm poo poo outta time.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 2, 2012

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

bhsman posted:

:words:

If it sounds confusing, it's probably because I'm unconciously leaving stuff out that I do, well, unconciously while painting, so the best advice I can give you is to just basecoat, wash, then re-cover and highlight and go from there. :eng101:

Thanks for all your words! Yeah, I've been experimenting with highlights and washes on the last couple of minis I did. The results, particularly the highlighting, don't do my motor control much credit, but nonetheless they make things look a lot better already! Can't wait to dig into the new box. Maybe someday soon I'll borrow a digital camera long enough to take some photos for critique.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bhsman posted:

Jesus Christ, Seftir :eyepop:

As an aside, I just want a quick opinion check. I'm currently looking for some Fenrisian Wolf stand-ins for some Lone Wolves as there are no official models. Looking around the GW website for a bit I've come across two options:

-Lord of the Ring Wargs, with a picture here for scale.

-Warhammer Fantasy Chaos Warhounds, with some converted versions seen here.

I'm actually leaning towards the wargs, as they wouldn't require much converting to make them work compared to the warhounds, though the warhounds give me a better value for more models in case I decide to make a large unit of Fenrisian Wolves later on.

Just in time for GW to release that new rumored multi-purpose wolf kit. :shepicide: Of course, if I buy the wargs that means I will have spent less money and have less to replace...

Wait a month. Everyones saying SW will get their Thunderwolves/Fenrisians in next months wd. If they dont, carry on with your plan, but you might as well wait 3 weeks in case you save yourself a lot of effort.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bhyo posted:

Wait a month. Everyones saying SW will get their Thunderwolves/Fenrisians in next months wd. If they dont, carry on with your plan, but you might as well wait 3 weeks in case you save yourself a lot of effort.

Yeah, I was only thinking about it since I oathed a Lone Wolf for this month and considered using some Fen. Wolves to tag along with him.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
This isn't in the same ballpark as most of you guys but some cross posting.

X-Com/desert camo Grey Knights to compliment my X-Com/desert camo guard. I am not all that happy with the weapon blades but :effort:

e: gently caress I didn't paint the skull on the book of the lead guy something different. :eng99:

Also I am waiting for it to warm up so I can grab some volleyball sand and/or dirt from my garden to base.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Naramyth posted:

I am not all that happy with the weapon blades but :effort:

They would be perfect for some lightning-streaked light blue NMM or something :)

Kickass paintjob on the rest of them, too.

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man

just got this in the mail, pretty excited

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Im sort of mad that I bought the citadel basing kit before they came out with the one with the resin bits in it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

magnetbox posted:

just got this in the mail, pretty excited

Huh. Is that a new one? The one I got was much different.

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man

Fix posted:

Huh. Is that a new one? The one I got was much different.

This one was released with the cities of death expansion I believe.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Weird. Did it come with brass etch stuff?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

loving beautiful Dark Eldar: :argh:

(NOT MINE)

Here you go, ham bro: (not mine, either)

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?action=profile;u=3628;area=showposts;start=40

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I like that guy's converted voidraven.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Post 9-11 User posted:

Here you go, ham bro: (not mine, either)

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?action=profile;u=3628;area=showposts;start=40

gently caress I don't want to register... is it worth it?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
My tiny blue Thousand Sons look awesome but my camera makes them look like poo poo.

I demand you all come to my house and admire my snazzy spacemen. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Send them in the mail to me, I'll take pictures.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

My tiny blue Thousand Sons look awesome but my camera makes them look like poo poo.

I demand you all come to my house and admire my snazzy spacemen. :colbert:

Describe them in loving detail.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
XPost from the Warmahordes thread:

I haven't posted my WM stuff before, but I just finished my first full unit, so what better time than now?

Everything!

Stormblades with electricity

Defender

Lancer + Charger

Lady Jr

I'm tempted to try OSL on the stormblades, but I don't want to just have white/blue painted over the metals. Any tips?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In fairly recent history (recent being relative in a 600-page thread) someone posted a link about making gross looking stringy poo poo, a la walking corpsy things and aliens bursting from eggs and such. Anyone still have that link?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Probably http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/10/tutorial-making-ugly-strings-and-stuff.html

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Mt. ORourke posted:

XPost from the Warmahordes thread:

That's a great shade of blue, what color is it?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:pcgaming: ATTENTION MASTERSLOWPOKE :pcgaming:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

PaintVagrant posted:

:pcgaming: ATTENTION MASTERSLOWPOKE :pcgaming:

Fuckin' rad!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Whoah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

crime fighting hog posted:

That's a great shade of blue, what color is it?

It's several thin layers of Enchanted Blue on top of Mordian Blue.

• Locked thread