Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

TyChan posted:

Two of my favorite things combined in a way I'd never thought I'd see. This may be the best picture currently in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Lyer posted:

I had a big thing I wanted to type, but it can just be summed up as: people be crazy. I honestly wonder if it's just hyperbole and people are just bitching that their fictional relationship between TV stars isn't real. Maybe I'm just too used to reading the mmo hmo subforum and seeing this type of "I quit" stuff.

Call me naive, but I thought this crazy poo poo was limited to mostly Asia. I really hope RM sticks with Ji Hyo, she deserves happiness and a spot on a killer TV show.

If I type too many words about this I will probably end up stepping on cultural relativism or something else, but watching the whole insane fandom ...thing is as interesting to me as the TV shows and music itself. Admittedly I am getting my information through a small filter, but it does seem to me that a lot of people really do have this fanatical religious zeal when it comes to celebrities in Korea. There's plenty of deeply obsessed fans anywhere sure, but reading the article linked earlier about Tablo or about any of the other crazy poo poo that goes on relating to any and all idols, I get the sense it is much more widespread and normal to act this way. The personality cults are so strong that it is giving me culture shock just reading comments on youtube, let alone the content of more specific websites. I do hope that it is just the bias of the filter I'm looking through.

International fans are clearly happy to buy into it too. How does one think to contact a foreign broadcasting network to demand that they fire a cast member from a variety show because she isn't pure because she has a boyfriend. At age 30(?). Someone who they have enjoyed performing for them for potentially 70+ weeks, depending on when they started watching. :psypop: I'm trying really hard not to relate or equivocate this with North Korea in my mind, since I get the same shock when hearing about the cult of personality for the ruling family. It's surreal.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/02/running-man-pd-predicts-some-changes-with-monday-couple-due-to-song-ji-hyos-new-relationship posted:

‘Running Man’ PD Cho Hyo Jin informed Star News on February 1st, “I was just informed of Song Ji Hyo’s relationship over the phone. The last recording of ‘Running Man’ took place on the 30th. The cast members themselves are close, so they might have known about her relationship, but us staff members had no idea.”

In regards to the relationship between Gary and Song Ji Hyo changing on the program, PD Cho remarked, “‘Monday Couple’ was never scripted, it just sort of naturally happened as the show went on, and therefore we staff members have no plans to change the direction nor dynamic of their relationship.”

“However, we do feel that with Song Ji Hyo’s relationship going public, the ‘Monday Couple’ relationship will also naturally begin to change on the show,” PD Cho added.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
At least there doesn't appear to be any talk about her leaving completely, that's the main thing.

Episode 17:
Guests: Jung Yong-Hwa, (3rd App.) Ko Joo-Won (Actor)

1 2 3 4

Inevitably given the news spending the opening trying to remove the suspicion that someone like Ji-Hyo takes on a new aura of humour. Anyway, Yong-Hwa is back yet again, and this time he’s the victim of the latest 1 vs. X, and the game is in writing the correct characters for tricky words, which probably doesn’t translate all that well into English (on the other hand, it does make you glad that English isn’t as potentially complicated as some other languages). And if you’re wondering why they come out and say it all from the start.. it’s because it’s actually all a lie, with a reversed 1 vs. X and Yong-Hwa in on the whole thing. And with him being a good guest, it actually works really well, especially since his task is directly opposed to everyone elses’ but not predicated on them failing their task, either. Jong-Kook being repeatedly wrongfully penalized was hilarious.

Next is more location-themed games, and more importantly it’s one in which they get people from there to take part, which is always funny whenever they do it. In this case, picking the three real musicians from the eleven random students, to then make up a band with. This time made especially funny since one the students gets to turn the tables on Gwang-Soo’s framing. And I have no idea how they manage to get some of those song titles right once they actually start playing.

Lastly is the hide-and-seek, with another good venue, if unfortunately but understandably somewhat biased towards Yong-Hwa and Joong-Ki. Again the hide-and-seek games are usually much improved by having other people around, which becomes much more often the case as time goes on. The whole sequence of events leading from Haha’s latest film pretence is incredibly funny. Likewise the jail posse delaying Jong-Kook near the end.

And a short but special hot pants punishment to finish up.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

They should keep it going, but really play up the "It's Mondays only!".

Yonghwa owning it up again. :allears: How often does he show up on average? When you guys said he's a frequent guest, I wouldn't have imagined he'd be on every 6 or so episodes so far. Not that I mind, dude is awesome. Him and Joong Ki walking down the hallway with the sparkles and flying flowers was funny as hell, especially in hindsight since it leads to...Yoo Hyuk.

I don't really have anything else to add, other than the rest of the episode was amazing as always.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The framer becoming the framed was one of the best things. I'm really not sure how picking the RIGHT music majors to be part of the bands would have helped in any way whatsoever. Getting the singing major when they're not allowed to sing, or a violinist when there's no violin, and so forth.

It was interesting to see a chase game take place in an active location filled with classes and study halls and dorms and such, and the members using the students to cover their tracks and to help them find the other team's locations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lyer posted:

Yonghwa owning it up again. :allears: How often does he show up on average? When you guys said he's a frequent guest, I wouldn't have imagined he'd be on every 6 or so episodes so far. Not that I mind, dude is awesome.

He's one of the guests of a 2-parter in the (episode) mid-30's and just recently showed up again in the Hong Kong 2-parter (EP 72-73).

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
When they're talking to the maybe music majors and there's a bit with one of the girls that goes unsubitlted, as Jong Kook and Haha motion to their jaws - is that because they were being loving rude? I don't know what they're saying, and if i'm drawing the right conclusion i don't really want to know, but could one of you please translate it?

Kudos to the sub team for refusing to type that poo poo out, but it's also maybe a case of image-saving, unreproaching silence. It's fine when they do that to each other*, but to do it to a civilian?! Anyway, i'm jumping to conclusions so i should wait until i actually know before i burn all my Jong Kook CD's. Can anybody translate it?

Also, new south wales represent:

*edit: it's not really, just you come to expect it.

El Graplurado fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 2, 2012

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I've watched ahead a lot and I don't recall him showing up with all that much regularly later on, not anywhere near as much as in the first dew episodes maybe like 2 or 3 episodes.

E: I was mad beat on this, with more accurate information too!

I don't know if this sounds dumb or not but the way they treat women on this annoys me vaguely. The problem I have is that they treat a lot of them like they're made of glass. Obviously I'm not expecting them to go round punching women or anything, but it isn't like the show ever gets any more physical than some really light wrestling even when KJK and another fit strong dude like Yongwha are fighting. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to get hurt and KJK probably shouldn't be tackling a 5 foot 2 popstar but Gary could grab an arm hard enough to stop someone running away without damaging anyones sensibilities.

I find it especially annoying when it makes them lose the game because they totally underestimated the female guests. Hell, from what I've seen Ji-hyo is probably the overall strongest competitor on the show, you'd figure they would have figured out that women don't need to be treated like children anymore.

It goes beyond the physical stuff too, if any women reveal any talents beyond singing and dancing or personality beyond cuteness they always look shocked as gently caress.

Man that was way more words than I meant to type about that, it only comes up like half a dozen times in the 50 odd episodes I've watched and its always really minor poo poo and I find it vaguely uneasy rather than outright annoying as such but I just watched an episode where the seeker could easily have won if he had just pulled a lady's arm, even gently. Instead they were hanging off a dude's neck accomplishing nothing.

Hopefully this post doesn't come off as some MRA nut advocating men beating women when I'm really coming at it from the complete opposite spectrum. I just want them to acknowledge that Ji-Hyo could totally beat half of the male cast up! Ji-hyo is the bestest is basically my point.

Mind you in consideration of all that Idol insanity I just leart about I'm probably being waaaaay to concerned about a minor thing. Do idols really sleep 2 hours a day? That's crazy as gently caress.

Anybody else noticed this/been bothered by it/think I'm a huge misogynist?

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
There are a lot of things different about Korean culture and gender equality is one of them. One site about the issue is http://www.thegrandnarrative.com. I can't vouch for its accuracy but it can be a good read.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Actually I just started an episode where they do something really loving funny with the female guests. gently caress everything I just said, show owns now and forever.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
With every variety show i've seen that's mixed and predominately male the female members are all cast with and seem to accept this role of subordinate otherness that you're right can be sickening at times. I assume there is a lot of social condition that feeds it, but it's not an absolute. What is so great about Invincible Youth and Heroes is seeing these women acting like themselves to each other, freed (mostly) from that structure.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

El Graplurado posted:

When they're talking to the maybe music majors and there's a bit with one of the girls that goes unsubitlted, as Jong Kook and Haha motion to their jaws - is that because they were being loving rude? I don't know what they're saying, and if i'm drawing the right conclusion i don't really want to know, but could one of you please translate it?

From translating the text and looking at the subtitles that follow it up, I think they were jokingly speculating that she wasn't really a female based on her frame. I could be wrong.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

From translating the text and looking at the subtitles that follow it up, I think they were jokingly speculating that she wasn't really a female based on her frame. I could be wrong.

Not as bad as you guys think it is. He says something along the lines of "Look at her jaw/jawline. It's obviously a vocalist's jaw/jaw of someone who sings well."

Nothing about her body frame or anything, but still rude.

VVV EDIT: Yeah, that'd be in response to the whole muscular jaw thing KJK was implying.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 2, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't necessarily think it was mean or anything. I went by the translated text, which seemed to be along the lines of "Of course she's a female," and then Jae-Suk's follow-up line about the university also having a sports program, implying she'd be a big girl doing sports.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

El Graplurado posted:

With every variety show i've seen that's mixed and predominately male the female members are all cast with and seem to accept this role of subordinate otherness that you're right can be sickening at times. I assume there is a lot of social condition that feeds it, but it's not an absolute. What is so great about Invincible Youth and Heroes is seeing these women acting like themselves to each other, freed (mostly) from that structure.

It also has to do with Asian culture in general; where being a part of the greater whole is more important than the individual. It's better to fit in, rather than to stand out. There's a lot of emphasis on family, the father should lead the household, the mother should raise the children, the children should do well in school, etc. A person that blends into that "role" is accepted, anyone that doesn't isn't shunned per se, but definitely looked down upon. It's the reason why the family name comes first in Asian names because the family is more important than the individual.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 2, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

Kuno posted:

Mind you in consideration of all that Idol insanity I just leart about I'm probably being waaaaay to concerned about a minor thing. Do idols really sleep 2 hours a day? That's crazy as gently caress.

This is kind of off topic, but it bothers me enough that I'm going to post about it anyway.

Most idols do get less than four hours of sleep each night; since Core Contents Media's CEO is a scumbag, T-ara get more like two hours.

It's not unusual for them to be subjected to ridiculous conditions. I still remember when they had to perform outdoors in skimpy outfits on what was literally the coldest day in the last 30 years. I didn't see Soyeon's tweet at the time, but I remember Eunjung tweeting about how agonizing it was and how she felt like her skin was splitting and how much they cried afterwards.

Hyomin is experiencing hair loss from the extreme stress and pressure of their ridiculous schedule.

Not too surprising. It's bad enough that they have openly spoken out against their CEO multiple times, which would normally be unheard of. "Since our debut, we have never had a vacation, and in the past year, we haven’t even had a single day of rest."

"I could die at this rate, everything should be done in moderation...I'm so tired right now...It feels like my mind and body are going to break."

Unsurprisingly, Jiyeon ended up being hospitalized for fatigue not long after that. "After she completed T-ara’s stage for the MBC ‘Gayo Daejaejun‘ at 2 in the morning, Jiyeon went to shoot for the KBS drama 'Dream High 2' at 4 a.m."

Speaking of Dream High 2, Jiyeon said "In the drama, there are special laws protecting minors in the entertainment industry, and I wish those laws existed in reality."

That'd be nice. Aside from Jiyeon's hospitalization, remember when Krystal from f(x) fainted dead away from exhaustion halfway through a performance?

I mean, what was she, like 15 at the time? Happened again after a Kiss and Cry performance.

Obviously forcing minors to work 20+ hours a day 7 days a week is completely ethical. Hooray for labor laws!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I seriously think there's going to end up being a lawsuit from T-ara about that giving how much they've been publicly complaining about working conditions.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Xandu posted:

I seriously think there's going to end up being a lawsuit from T-ara about that giving how much they've been publicly complaining about working conditions.

I like to hope so, but I think they're still kind of scared of him. Remember not too long ago when 4 of the Kara members sued DSP and Kara came really close to breaking up? At the time Kim Kwangsoo(CCM's CEO) issued a bunch of threats basically saying that if any of his artists ever tried anything like that he'd see to it that they never work in the industry again. And seeing as how CCM is a part of mnet(and how corrupt mnet is in the first place), I wouldn't put it past him to try. That guy is seriously insane.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Also, the whole TVXQ(aka DBSK)-JYJ debacle shows you how those pent up feelings of repression and resentment can blow up. SM seems to have stepped up its treatment of its singers after being burned, but like Selane mentioned, there are other companies that do worse.

I remember IU talking about how her ambitiousness made her ask the CEO of her agency to get her in more programs/activities, then realizing that it was too hard and later on asking to be dropped from some of them. So some idols might have more control over their schedules than others.

EDIT: On the subject of CEO threats, yeah that's definitely real. SM has basically kicked out the dissenting ex-TVXQ (now called JYJ) from basically all major TV programs and channels; the only way you can see them on TV is when they appear in non-musical roles such as an actor in a drama or something.

Again, this is mainly with the idol-group/music industry. I'm pretty sure that the actors/actresses have a lot more power over their agencies.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2012

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What other artists are a part of CCM? Also JYJ's example must be pretty scary for other idols who would even think of rebelling/suing their companies.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
SM also got Hangeng kicked out of both Super Junior and Korea for trying to get a fair contract.

Can't wait for the next episode in this thread, 18 is probably my favorite.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Here is a pretty good video on K Pop that mentions some of the issues. It doesn't really go into it too much but one of the artists they interview talks about how she wished she could call her family.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2012/01/201212673348120626.html

( I don't believe this has been posted yet )

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Back on RM, I find it hilarious that the Korean media (the smaller tabloids/internet news, mind you) find the Monday Couple implications of Jihyo's reveal significant enough to report and request interviews on it.

The RM PD made a statement saying that he doesn't foresee any problems because the Monday Couple thing isn't actually real.

And Gary posted on his twitter saying that he's fine :v:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Adultery-Monday Couple is the next hit!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Archer2338 posted:

And Gary posted on his twitter saying that he's fine :v:

Actually could you translate Gary's tweets? I know he's posted a few times since the news broke out, but I don't think Google Translate is too reliable in terms of figuring out what he's actually saying.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

EDIT: On the subject of CEO threats, yeah that's definitely real. SM has basically kicked out the dissenting ex-TVXQ (now called JYJ) from basically all major TV programs and channels; the only way you can see them on TV is when they appear in non-musical roles such as an actor in a drama or something.

Kind of ironic how since leaving SM JYJ have become insanely rich, live in multi-million dollar houses, own ferraris and yachts, and recently bought their CEO a 300,000 USD luxury sedan as a Christmas present.

...Since Jihyo is apparently dating said CEO(they work for the same company) at least she should be rolling in style. :v:

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
Still makes me extremely :smith: Yunho and Changmin didn't go with them.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
“우리가 처음부터 콩트를 너무 열심히 했나? 동료로써 내 걱정까지 해주며 미안하다고 한 그 좋은 마음 때문에라도 더 열심히 해야겠다”

"Did we act too well from the beginning? I should work harder for the kind heart that apologized to me and worried about me as a co-worker." (Implying that Jihyo apparently apologized and worried about him...awwww...:3:)

“힘내라는 얘기는 그만! 힘들게 있어야 힘들지. 진짜 힘들 사람 따로 있는데. 난 그저 자아를 찾는게 힘들뿐”
"No more telling me to cheer up! I need to be going through a hardship to need cheering up. There are other people that are actually going through hard times. I just have some trouble finding my ego."

It's all one tweet but I divided it into two since all the news stories covering the tweet seem to be doing that as well.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 2, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Yep, it pretty much sounds like Gary is totally cool with the situation, as expected. I sympathize even more with Ji Hyo now that I know she even considered Gary's feelings and worried about how he'd need to deal with it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

You did act too well, Gary.

When number episode comes out after this news revelation? Two episodes after the Sherlock Holmes episode? I'm wondering if we'll see any differences in the chemistry or if this is even mentioned at all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember during one of the interviews the Invincible Youth cast did on one of those talk/variety shows, Kim Tae Woo brought up that Hyomin would always eat like crazy during filming, and he was really shocked at how much she ate. Then he found out that her company was forcing her to diet and filming IY was the only time she really got to eat. :(

And then she wouldn't say anything about her company, so HyunA jumped in and started mouthing off about them on her behalf, which was adorable and awesome.

So yeah, CCM is really really lovely and is long overdue for some kind of lawsuit. I think they're the worst "big name" music company in Korea right now. And from everything I've seen, YG is the best.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

That's really depressing. I really do hope poo poo changes for them.

In hindsight, one of the bad things about the IY change is HyunA disappearing from variety TV. I mean you can see Sunny/Yuri all the time and Hara to an extent, but the others you only really get tidbits of news info on.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Lyer posted:

In hindsight, one of the bad things about the IY change is HyunA disappearing from variety TV. I mean you can see Sunny/Yuri all the time and Hara to an extent, but the others you only really get tidbits of news info on.

Only thing I remember seeing Hyuna doing lately was Trouble Maker promotions. Which I went out of my way not to watch because I have better things to do with my time than watch Cube try to pass off Jang Hyunseung groping Hyuna's crotch and rear end as 'entertainment'.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe they are not as dynamic personalities as Sunny, Yuri or Hara. Actually, no one can match Sunny on Variety. She needs to host a show one day.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe they are not as dynamic personalities as Sunny, Yuri or Hara. Actually, no one can match Sunny on Variety. She needs to host a show one day.

I read somewhere she's going to be the main MC on a musical show that's coming up or something, step in the right direction.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Can someone post or pm me links to SNSD and the dangerous boys? I can't seem to find it subbed.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Jamesman posted:

So yeah, CCM is really really lovely and is long overdue for some kind of lawsuit. I think they're the worst "big name" music company in Korea right now. And from everything I've seen, YG is the best.

I'm curious about the company founded by Rain, J. Tune Entertainment. I know it's now a part of JYP, but given his own experiences, do you know if the boys in MBLAQ are being treated decently?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

reflir posted:

Can someone post or pm me links to SNSD and the dangerous boys? I can't seem to find it subbed.

http://www.youtube.com/taenacity

He's subbed the first 4 episodes. Eps 5-7 can be found on kshownow.net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Archer2338 posted:

Not as bad as you guys think it is. He says something along the lines of "Look at her jaw/jawline. It's obviously a vocalist's jaw/jaw of someone who sings well."

Do you think maybe he was saying she must be a singer since she has a similar jaw line to himself?

I actually teared up a little watching this.

TV Zombie posted:

Actually, no one can match Sunny on Variety. She needs to host a show one day.

You'll like this.

About the JiHyo dating news, I really don't think it's going to change much in the long run. I hope they don't completely gloss over it in the show, it could add a great new element to the Monday couple.