Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
When I was 5/6, my dad bribed me to learn how to read by saying I could have a lego castle when I could read him a book that I'd never seen before.

Needless to say, I learned very quickly after that. He got me this rather stunning kit.

I still have the instructions and most of the pieces. I rebuilt it about 8 years ago and only had to use a couple of non-matching bits to finish it.

I want to go and fish it out of mum's attic to try and build it again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sockser posted:

And the best part of that haul?

You got a bunch of those creepy loving yellow eye blocks!
No, the best part are those old school wheel blocks, where you can configure the wheels to be on the sides or the ends of a 2x4 brick. And you've got at least one with the 2x2 stud pattern for attaching stuff and and one of the spoke designs too.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

einTier posted:

No, the best part are those old school wheel blocks, where you can configure the wheels to be on the sides or the ends of a 2x4 brick. And you've got at least one with the 2x2 stud pattern for attaching stuff and and one of the spoke designs too.

There's a bunch of really weird stuff in there, like a 2x4 wheel brick that is smooth on top except for 2 tiny non-stud protrusions, and some thick baseplates that are entirely hollow on the underside. Didn't they stop making those in the 60s?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

and some thick baseplates that are entirely hollow on the underside

Just thinking about this makes me strangely uncomfortable, like contemplating p-zombies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So a shop near me has a bunch of these:

on sale for £40 each, down from £52. Worth it? I was thinking of opening one and buying a couple more to sell on because they seem to be going for a lot more online.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I haven't got that one, but the Creator houses are great and do command a fair price online. You could probably flip it for between £60-80.

I love finds in independent toy shops like that, although I haven't lucked out in a while.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The_Doctor posted:

on sale for £40 each, down from £52. Worth it? I was thinking of opening one and buying a couple more to sell on because they seem to be going for a lot more online.

In my experience the creator houses are cooler than they look on the box, so I'd say yes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sloppy posted:

There's a bunch of really weird stuff in there, like a 2x4 wheel brick that is smooth on top except for 2 tiny non-stud protrusions, and some thick baseplates that are entirely hollow on the underside. Didn't they stop making those in the 60s?

I have some of those base plates and exactly 0 idea where they came from. They're a full 1/3 brick tall, right?

All of my Lego is from the 90s, and surprisingly I dont think any of it came from yard sales or anything. Pretty sure it's all legit bought sets.

But I have maybe 2 of those like, 16x64 plate pieces. Never liked them.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Anyone familiar with the Santa Fe Super Chief set 10020?

I've found one online that has been donated to a charity but I don't know how to tell if it is the limited edition or not.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

The_Doctor posted:

I'd say at least get one for yourself.
I've got that one and it's probably my favorite Creator set.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Sloppy posted:

I remember the 2x4 wheel brick with no studs. It should have a hole in the top that takes a shaft. Those were used for steering, the shaft goes up through plates used to make the cab of a vehicle, like in these sets:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=710-1

The "steering wheel" is the 1x2 with 'LEGO' printed on it.

I also remember the thick baseplates. I had gray ones that were hollow on the underside (no tubes), and blue ones that had a single row of tubes on the underside, at the edges. These baseplates were 10x20 studs. They stopped making them in the 70s. It sounds like you got some old stuff from when LEGO was manufactured by Samsonite for the US market.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Testro posted:

I haven't got that one, but the Creator houses are great and do command a fair price online. You could probably flip it for between £60-80.

I love finds in independent toy shops like that, although I haven't lucked out in a while.

You're not loving kidding. I have the townhouse in pieces somewhere in my neverending box of lego, checked it on BL to see it's going for well over £100 used, for what was a £40 set.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

rockinricky posted:

I remember the 2x4 wheel brick with no studs. It should have a hole in the top that takes a shaft. Those were used for steering, the shaft goes up through plates used to make the cab of a vehicle, like in these sets:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=710-1

The "steering wheel" is the 1x2 with 'LEGO' printed on it.

I also remember the thick baseplates. I had gray ones that were hollow on the underside (no tubes), and blue ones that had a single row of tubes on the underside, at the edges. These baseplates were 10x20 studs. They stopped making them in the 70s. It sounds like you got some old stuff from when LEGO was manufactured by Samsonite for the US market.

Sweet, you nailed it. We definitely have the top Wrecker and possibly the bottom one, since we have those bizarre doors with trans windows built in in blue and yellow, as well as the printed Lego 1x2 and the blue chassis piece (which is snapped in half, unfortunately)

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Sloppy posted:

This is the great thing about buying random bulk Lego, you get some weird poo poo. Sorting is hard sometimes because I come across some new parts I've never seen before and I want to stop to see how I can use them.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Dead Alice posted:

Anyone familiar with the Santa Fe Super Chief set 10020?

I've found one online that has been donated to a charity but I don't know how to tell if it is the limited edition or not.

It should have a certificate and a 1x2 red tile that's numbered Axxxx, where xxxx is 0000 - 9999

Peeron has a picture of an actual tile - http://peeron.com/inv/sets/10020-1

and a certificate can be seen on this site - http://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/train/9v/lego-10020-2-santa-fe-super-chief-limited-edition/

I have a regular edition and it's a beautiful kit, well worth what they go for on bricklink

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out the Knight's Stronghold is missing a decent amount of pieces.

Oh well, it had five minifies and a horse and I get to relieve the 1990 LEGO catalog!

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Had some good luck with Clearance items today... At Walmart I found a Pharaoh's Quest Flying Mummy Attack 7307 for $7.50. At Target found a Atlantis Angler Attack 7978 for $8.98 and Underwater Explorer 8080 for 21.50.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Torael_7 posted:

This is the great thing about buying random bulk Lego, you get some weird poo poo. Sorting is hard sometimes because I come across some new parts I've never seen before and I want to stop to see how I can use them.

Yeah, I always try to figure out what sets are in the lot and then rebuild them. It can be really frustrating though because you don't know if a piece is missing or you just haven't found it yet.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Just picked up one of these. I wish I'd grabbed a couple when they were in stores, the accessories are really neat.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, I always try to figure out what sets are in the lot and then rebuild them. It can be really frustrating though because you don't know if a piece is missing or you just haven't found it yet.

Well, I'm a spaceship guy, mostly. So for me its more like "ohh if I combined this with this I get a neat turret" or "I bet I could use these bendy things for some crazy wing geometry, if only I could find some with studs on them..."

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"

I finally have enough bricks to make some micro ships!
On the left is some sort of battleship, and on the right is some sort of repair/mine-remover/grapple ship.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CADPAT posted:

The pic has a pretty high res, it might not be very hard to figure out how to build it if you zoomed in on it and really thought it out.

I wish I could, I'm not nearly that good with lego. Could someone point me to the right site?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Happysafer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/hUdZVl.jpg
On the left is some sort of battleship, and on the right is some sort of repair/mine-remover/grapple ship.
Both of those are awesome.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

1 piece micro ufo

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Herr Tog posted:

I wish I could, I'm not nearly that good with lego. Could someone point me to the right site?

There most likely is none.
Figuring it out by looking looking at it closely is probably your only option, sorry.

Candycab
Oct 2, 2007

by angerbeet
A WHOLE ASSTON OF NON-LEGO poo poo USED TO LIVE HERE!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 3, 2012

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.
I can't say if it's the right thread or not, but you could have made it sound a little less like a desperate viral marketing pitch.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
^^ Seriously, you sound way too much like a marketer.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Happydogska posted:

I can't say if it's the right thread or not, but you could have made it sound a little less like a desperate viral marketing pitch.

There is no right thread for viral marketing pitches.

Candycab
Oct 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Hah yes that's right I'm some desperate viral marketer conspiring to make you think I'm just one of you normal goons. So whatever you do, don't read my reply, don't look at the photos, and don't give another thought to these evil toys that are out there to get you!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Candycab posted:

Hah yes that's right I'm some desperate viral marketer conspiring to make you think I'm just one of you normal goons. So whatever you do, don't read my reply, don't look at the photos, and don't give another thought to these evil toys that are out there to get you!

So I take it you're not so good with constructive criticism then.

Candycab
Oct 2, 2007

by angerbeet

CADPAT posted:

So I take it you're not so good with constructive criticism then.

Another brilliant response! I humbly bow down and suck you gigantic cock.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
This sounds like another triumph from Ocean Marketing.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Ignore the troll and/or viral marketer, boys.

Happysafer posted:

These are really good but shouldn't a micro-scale battleship still be, like...bigger?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/6330484321/ (not mine)

Seriously though, good job, those are great.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 3, 2012

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

I love those ships.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Torael_7 posted:

Do they even fit in LEGO hands? :psyduck:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Dead Alice posted:

Do they even fit in LEGO hands? :psyduck:

What were they, anyway? The post's been wiped. I wanna know what I should avoid.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

What were they, anyway? The post's been wiped. I wanna know what I should avoid.

Custom weapons and poo poo for He-Man toys.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dear Bellevue Lego Store Dude,

Your skill at feeling S6 packages to find me the last 3 I needed, hug-bot, Samus, and the mechanic, was unparalleled. I will love you forever.

Sincerely,
The Rage

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"

Torael_7 posted:

These are really good but shouldn't a micro-scale battleship still be, like...bigger?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/6330484321/ (not mine)

Seriously though, good job, those are great.

I don't have that many bricks. :qq: