Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

This is only vaguely MSPA related, but since updating firefox today, the font that used to display as the main text in all the updates changed suddenly. This has happened once before and I'm going crazy trying to fix it because everything (only on MSPA) looks so weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Santa doesn't even rhyme with Fanta, I want my money back Hussie

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I remember Hussie having an old plan of Dave and Bro hash rap battling, flinging their syllabi at each other.

What I'm saying is I hope this happens with Dirk :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

snucks posted:

perhaps they're... a sine of what's to come :c00l:

Thank god for the update, I didn't want to go off on this tangent.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
is the first time that sweet bro and hella jeff have been individually identified? I always assumed :^y was sweet bro.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

snucks posted:

is the first time that sweet bro and hella jeff have been individually identified? I always assumed :^y was sweet bro.

Well I know at least on the sock ruse SBAHJ, Jeff asked "bro have you seen my socks"

So there's that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

snucks posted:

I figured that sweet bro is the first name in SBaHJ, and red dude was first character seen, soooo.....

Looks like I was right :smug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Way to break the game, Dave.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I always knew the red one was Sweet Bro and the blue one was Hella Jeff, but now that I think about it, I couldn't point to any evidence for these assumptions. I have no idea how I knew. :tinfoil:

Nah, it's probably just so late I'm forgetting obvious parts of the comic. That has to be it. Yeah.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

"I warned you about stairs bro!!!!" (this is the very first comic)

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I also think Hussie said on Formspring a long time ago which one was which.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
The fifth comic is called "sweet bro comes thru.......... AGAIN," and in it, the red one came through and got the hot game that everyone's buzzing about, so it's pretty obvious he's Sweet Bro.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

El Wombato posted:

Santa doesn't even rhyme with Fanta, I want my money back Hussie

Well, depends on how you pronounce them. Most people pronounce Santa as [sæntə] and the official pronunciation of Fanta is [faːnta] (which I don't think I've ever heard somebody say it as, not even in the commercials. It's more like [fɑːntə])

All Dirk has to do is pronounce Santa as [sɑːntə] which isn't too much of a vowel difference. Maybe B2 Texas has strange accents?

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
It's a pretty weak rhyme, but they can't all be dope (much to Dirk's dismay)

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

I always knew the red one was Sweet Bro and the blue one was Hella Jeff, but now that I think about it, I couldn't point to any evidence for these assumptions. I have no idea how I knew. :tinfoil:

It might have been when Hella Jeff was identified here. I wouldn't have trusted either calling the other Bro in the comic, because they're both bros and bros just call other people bro.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

QueerPope posted:

Well, depends on how you pronounce them. Most people pronounce Santa as [sæntə] and the official pronunciation of Fanta is [faːnta] (which I don't think I've ever heard somebody say it as, not even in the commercials. It's more like [fɑːntə])

All Dirk has to do is pronounce Santa as [sɑːntə] which isn't too much of a vowel difference. Maybe B2 Texas has strange accents?

I cant read your crazy pronunciation language, but where I live Santa and Fanta are pronounced pretty much identically.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

I cant read your crazy pronunciation language, but where I live Santa and Fanta are pronounced pretty much identically.

I'm with you bro. It's san-tuh and fan-tuh, they're literally the same word with 1 different letter!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Prison Warden posted:

I don't want to live in a world where Santa and Fanta are pronounced differently.

With the debut of Dirk's fetch modus, we may finally need to see a flash set to words so we can behold as he weaponizes his inventory during the sickest rap battle of all time.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thundarr posted:

With the debut of Dirk's fetch modus, we may finally need to see a flash set to words so we can behold as he weaponizes his inventory during the sickest rap battle of all time.

Music contest deadline is approaching. Can anyone here rap?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
First there's the albino wizard chess master(mistress?) Playing without a king, and now we have a pawn in the pooper. B2 has is gonna have s weird battlefield.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Ominous Jazz posted:

First there's the albino wizard chess master(mistress?) Playing without a king, and now we have a pawn in the pooper. B2 has is gonna have s weird battlefield.

For clarification: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=042.jpg

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Haha that's Dave's bathroom

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Loving the callbacks to Dave captchaloguing the same skateboard as a "wheeled ride" (still one of my favourite gags in Homestuck) and things flying up away to the sun like a fuckin' piece of garbage. This comic is dense.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hussie posted the comic on his Tumblr (which he usually doesn't do) and said it mattered "SO MUCH"

Obviously this comic is pivotal to understanding the Homestuck plot. If only we could decipher it.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

QueerPope posted:

This is why vowels are just awful, and the worst part of language. drat you vowels why are you so mutable! (Also I had no idea anyone pronounced it as [sæntə], learn something new)

Anyways, I'm really enjoying all the stupid inventory jokes again, those haven't been around since the first acts, I worried they'd been forgotten about. (And like others have mentioned, I wonder how much of this has been spurred on by his publishing the first book.)

Either way I'm really enjoying this, all these callbacks to when Homestuck was a simpler comic~

VVVVV
Your usage tripped me up a bit. /ɑ/ is the aw sound, /a/ is the ah one, and æ is a bit higher than /a/ but lower than /ɛ/, which means it's between ah and eh. So, while I can imagine Fanta being pronounced "fawnta" [fɑːntə], I don't really hear it much? And never hear "sawnta." I think you got your /a/'s mixed up.

(Also after looking it up, apparently /æ/ is turning into /a/ in Canadian English, which is probably why I never hear [sæntə])

The IPA for you and me!

Anyways this is kind've a silly derail and we can all appreciate that there are different accents and each is just as special and valid as the others. And everyone agreed to this and we all lived happily ever after. (These discussions are bound to come up more now that we have a rhyming-based modus.)

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 2, 2012

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Starmaker posted:

This is why vowels are just awful, and the worst part of language. drat you vowels why are you so mutable! (Also I had no idea anyone pronounced it as [sæntə], learn something new)

I hate vowels too, but I can't imagine anybody saying Santa like Sawn-tuh unless they're trying to sound really pompous or something. I'd ask people what dialects they speak but that would definitely be a derail.

Also when Hussie uploaded the SBaHJ to tumblr it didn't lose quality correctly and he tweeted something like "OH NO! THE QUALITY ON TUMBLR! gently caress!" Which I found really amusing.

I'm glad Capthalogue shenanigans are back too, I missed them when we stopped learning about new modii.

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
I may have ran into the best thing I have ever seen related to Homestuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6QuovTUuk&feature=related

JamJars fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 2, 2012

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Ahahahahaha

His short little legs his derpy face his amazing moves that close-up.

Outstanding.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hussie posted the comic on his Tumblr (which he usually doesn't do) and said it mattered "SO MUCH"

Obviously this comic is pivotal to understanding the Homestuck plot. If only we could decipher it.

PM could be considered a white pawn.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
For the folks who are wondering about this strange instance where "Santa" and "Fanta" are pronounced differently, I believe this is one 'source' on the differing pronunciation of "Fanta": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwrKVoEHCc

During my search, though, there was this commercial, where one of the actresses did pronounce it to rhyme with "Santa". So I guess either way works?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
I was wondering whether or not I should go ahead and explain IPA, but then I decided to go to bed. And then I wake up to a linguistics derail I didn't even start or perpetrate.

You guys are awesome. :)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

graybook posted:

For the folks who are wondering about this strange instance where "Santa" and "Fanta" are pronounced differently, I believe this is one 'source' on the differing pronunciation of "Fanta": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwrKVoEHCc

During my search, though, there was this commercial, where one of the actresses did pronounce it to rhyme with "Santa". So I guess either way works?

It sounds the same in both videos though? *starts a huge pointless derail on perception of speech*

Which is interesting, but at the same time is even more pointless, subjective, and aggravating than talking about different accents, because it's like looking at magic eye pictures for your ears and some people will just never see it. What I'm saying is let's not actually have that discussion, at least not here.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

You know, rhymes are actually how historical linguists figure out how old words were pronounced.

So in the distant future when all of the recordings of spoken language have somehow disappeared (because sound data decays faster of course), if linguists stumble upon the fossilized remnants of Homestuck then Dirk's tech-hop modus and this very thread will be invaluable to their research. This derail could do more for academics than anything else you'll ever do!

PS: Also if you would engrave every aspect of your daily life onto a clay pot, that would really help them out, too.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 2, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
So my act one book came in the post today, so it only took like two weeks to get across the pond from Canada, which is much faster than I was expecting. The little comments and such are pretty amazing. I do notice Vriska has been mentioned, which I guess confirms the Huss's intro that the book is really more intended for people who have already read the website.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Anyone care to speculate about the rest of Dirk's inventory? I can't think of a brand of orange soda that rhymes with "-at", although I'm not exactly familiar with the American soft drink market and of course it could just stay blank. More interestingly, what rhymes with Sunkist?

Also, I wonder how much the mess Dirk will make (we know there'll be one since we saw him tell Roxy about it) will mirror Dave's. He certainly has plenty of beverages to spill.

If he hadn't already picked up his good sword and put it in his strife deck, I'd suspect he's about to blow up his room by accidentally replacing the hand grenade with an awesome blade. (Because that's how hand grenades work.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He might be able to get away with 'Soda, flat' for the -at column.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Attention Starmaker:

You were the first in the queue for a second Goonstuck game if there ever was one, well it's your lucky day because a player had to drop out due to personal complications and all that jazz, so email me with character specifics + an AIM username and I can hook you up.

Back to your scheduled Homestuck.

The Strider family is pretty much up there as one of my favorite families in all of fiction.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He could fit it with the Slice and the Wheeled Device if he called it a Legendary Piece of Scheiß.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
But then he wouldn't have a space free for an orange gourd. (Without tying up the bottom row, anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Shabadu posted:

This is only vaguely MSPA related, but since updating firefox today, the font that used to display as the main text in all the updates changed suddenly. This has happened once before and I'm going crazy trying to fix it because everything (only on MSPA) looks so weird

Actually, I just rebooted Firefox after like a solid day and yeah it's looking all different now. Huh.