Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I'd like to try pirates with goons. In as Urcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Pillaging is one of the best ways to consistently make PoE in game, and If you have a boat full of goons, the entire booty of PoE will be distributed to the crew! Pillaging also helps with crew reputation and fame. It's not unrealistic to make over 100k a month in pillaging.

Finding active pillagers is one of the hardest parts of running a successful crew. There are usually three reasons why people DON'T run pillages on YPP.

1. They don't have the money for a ship/stock

2. They don't like having to job off the notice board to fill a boat

3. They dont' understand how to manage a pillage, or are terrible at battle navigation.

Fortunately, being in The Salty Mouthfuls has advantages! A quick count has us at around 80 unlocked ships of various size ported all over the ocean for your use [lowest possible estimate places the value at 3520000 PoE in free ships for you to use] and your crew mates generally always come along [Put Extrametrica on sails to unlock the "Unlimited Moves" cheat]. I usually never need to job off of the notice board!

As for running a pillage and understanding the battle navigation puzzle, I've put together a small guide:

The first thing to be aware of are the purposes of the various stations:

Sails/rigs are the engines, pirates generate moves in battle and speed while sailing around looking for a battle on this station.

Guns are pretty self explanatory. They fill'em, you fire'em

Carpentry keeps damage down on the ship. The more damage a ship has the more the bilge level will go up.

Bilge maximizes the efficiency of sails. The higher the bilge level, the longer it will take for the sail/rigs scores to translate into moves and speed for your ship. If the bilge is too high you will actually lose usable moves between rounds in battle. Keeping damage down, and someone working the bilge is the only way to prevent this.

Duty navigation enables you to memorize leagues on the route you are travelling, it also helps to generate spawns within your slider parameters.

So the goal is to prioritize sails and guns while doing just enough to keep damage and bilge at zero. A sloop can hold 7 people so having 1 navigating (that's you), 1 gunning, 1 on carp and bilge, and 3 sailing is a good way to start. When you take damage, it helps to have 1 sailor swap to either bilge or carp.

Swill, rum and grog are the gasoline. Cannonballs are the ammo. As for which form of gasoline to use, swill is used up the fastest, followed by grog, and rum. The value of these commodities changes often so it's best to ask in game which is the most cost effective.

Make sure to sort your commodities by sell price, and don't forget to deposit cash in the hold before buying.

What you need to consider when you stock for a pillage is that the more you have stocked, the more you stand to lose when enemies plunder your hold. The less you have stocked, the higher the chance you'll run out of rum or ammo. In my opinion cannon balls are cheap enough to just keep lots and forget about running out. You'll get a sense of the balance as you get more experience, but I would suggest keeping about 25 fine rum, and 100 cbs if you're sailing around Admiral as a starting point and going from there.

Your next step is to chart a course, we start by going to the nav wheel

Selecting chart a course, clicking on the island, and hitting chart. Easy.

Keep mashing those nav wheel buttons. Next is configure voyage. While you're new to pillaging don't consider going after hard bots until you've got a handle on the battle navigation puzzle. If you're jobbing from the notice board keep in mind often times jobbers will abandon ship following a loss of any sort, which in the middle of your pillage can be pretty crappy, so when hiring off the notice board it's generally a better idea to stick to greens and green/yellows in order to ensure you maintain a winning streak.

Brigands = Sword fight
Barbarians = Rumble

You can safely ignore all of the buttons underneath the difficulty slider

Mashing away, we get to manage jobbers. If you've been going in order, you're ready to hire some jobbers. If your ship if full of goons, ignore this crap. Taking charge and putting in a message will display that message on the notice board with your ad. It helps if you're trying to fill one specific spot to mention it in your statement.

Now that we're sailing, you have two options. You can do the duty navigation puzzle
or you can hang out in the crowsnest and look at the ships.

If you decide to do the duty navigation puzzle, you should select "automatically target vessels" in the bottom right corner under the "Deport" button. If you're going to hang out in the nest, turn this feature off. While looking at the ships, you can click on them for all the relevant information, and select the "Attack" button if you want to intercept them.

You're in a battle finally! Welcome to the battle navigation puzzle. I think the interface is pretty self explanatory, but what I will recommend is turning off "auto". What this useless feature does is takes the moves your sailors are generating and auto assigns them at random to your pool. Instead, turn this crap off, and select which move you would like or need next and adjust accordingly.

So getting to the puzzle itself

Always have a damage chart handy while you pillage for easy reference. There's just such a chart here:

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Sea_battle#Damage_Chart

The trick to this puzzle is to be aware of the available routes the OTHER ship has to your current position to shoot you, and to intercept those routes without exposing yourself to cannon fire or grappling hooks. Ships can fire three squares from either side.

Easy to average bots will often prioritize grappling over everything else, so when you first enter battle against these ships consider everywhere they're able to move to, and try to keep a one square buffer between you and them at all times. Most easy to average ships will run out of moves in a relatively short period of time, or after just a couple of hits. This is where having that great sailor pays off. Try to focus on peppering the enemy with one or two shots, avoiding their cannons in your route, and keeping away from those freak grapples, then when they've run out of moves, move in for the kill. Sometimes you can even just avoid them altogether and watch them run out without your help.

When you move in for the kill against an easy ship try to line up with the front, and you can try putting one space between you and them. Easy ships will often only move forward in this situation because they are dumb and want to die. If they don't move at all and you need to grapple by coming up along side them, sometimes it's wise to consider waiting a move, so preventing their anticipating your grapple and shooting you. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't

Yellow/red bots are going to pursue you relentlessly, so you must have good sails to continue moving. I spend more time focusing on the available paths the yellow/red bots have to me and moving to intercept those than I do considering my own pathway to them as I may do with greens. I find it is extremely helpful to focus on cutting off the routes they have to shoot you.

There's a lot more that can be written about battle navigation strategy but when it comes to fighting bots it boils down to:

Keep a one square buffer between you and them until you're ready to enter fray

Anticipate the most efficient route the enemy has to shoot you at your starting position in the round and move to intercept without exposing yourself to the three block range of their guns. Ideally target the front of their ship.

Always use the chart and aim to maximize the damage of any ship you're fighting. It'll work wonders for your rating as well.

So if you want to get involved in pillaging speak up and we'll help you get set up. If you have any questions about pillaging or about battle navigation you can ask me in game (Hotbeard)

With the Steam deal, and Sega buying OOO and increased numbers on the servers the future is looking good for our little game.

Now would be a good time to join!

edit: fixed some links

TheSpamalope fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 6, 2011

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: 'cause you're stupid!

TheSpamalope posted:

[Put Extrametrica on sails to unlock the "Unlimited Moves" cheat].

You don't put me on sails, I naturally gravitate towards them.

Nice bnav primer. I'll link to it in the OP. :)

Sleepy Beef
Oct 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I've come and gone from this game multiple times over the past few years but I'd like to try again. Name is Sleepybeef

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Welp. Oceans are merging.

Midnight and Cobalt, Sage and Hunter, and Viridian and Malachite will merge sometime next month, provided testing goes well.

More details here.

So if you're reading this and were afraid of a ghost town, worry no longer, as it appears they're actually gonna take a few steps towards fixing some issues.

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting
Well, looks like we'll be 'The Salty Mouthfuls West' or something stupid like that, since TSM already exists on Hunter, and has done for a long time.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Malus posted:

Well, looks like we'll be 'The Salty Mouthfuls West' or something stupid like that, since TSM already exists on Hunter, and has done for a long time.

1) We get a free rename
2) the Hunter version of the crew is run by the same people as the current TSM crew IIRC
3) i don't think the Hunter crew has been active in two years so we might just be able to get the OMs to scuttle the drat thing

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: 'cause you're stupid!

Grinnblade posted:

1) We get a free rename
2) the Hunter version of the crew is run by the same people as the current TSM crew IIRC
3) i don't think the Hunter crew has been active in two years so we might just be able to get the OMs to scuttle the drat thing

We can talk about our ideas in this thread.

We can merge the two crews so that we can have access to all them botes 'n' stuff in Hunter, except there's currently no captain in TSM Hunter.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
... Huh, I appear to not be in TSM Hunter. Odd.

Also, don't be an idiot like me and try to load the dormant members list on TSM hunter. I broke my client. :stare:

Honestly I would talk to the OMs and see what could be done re: merging the crews with no active captain on Hunter.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Did anyone else lose their pirate? I'm definitely attempting to log in on Sage, same SN as on SA, with "I have an account" but that just turns up "invalid password" while "use the Steam account created for you" on Sage just prompts me to start a new pirate, so I'm wondering if I have to start over because I hadn't played in over a month.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, if you don't play for about a month, you lose your pirate. Unless you've spent money on doubloons. (Or subscriptions, I think, but that's not valid for doubloon oceans)

Anyways, I accidentally created my pirate on the Hunter ocean. Oh well, it'll be joined soon enough.

Insanoblan
Jul 4, 2007

hey look blueberries omg nom nom nom
In as Bubbeard

Gimbizze
Sep 8, 2011
Played the hell out of this months ago, in as Gimbizze.

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
I recently got re-interested in this after I heard that they were going to merge some of the oceans together. Never thought to look for Goons to play with, and would you believe my luck to see goons playing on the same ocean as me.

I'm GraBug on Sage, and soon as I can find an online officer I'll join up.

Shardok fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 11, 2012

Unobtainium
Dec 25, 2006
You want me to hack the planet? He wants me to hack the planet... Ok, *if* I decide to do this, I'll need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hotpockets.
Rebookmarked this thread. 90% of my possessions are (were?) on Hunter, if TSM are active there again I may have to unretire Misterpink soon...

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
Yeah, I couldn't find any active officers online when I tried last, checking again right now...

Still none.

Shardok fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 10, 2012

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007

Shardok posted:

Yeah, I couldn't find any active officers online when I tried last, checking again right now...

Still none.

I don't see any Shardok existing on Sage. Are you on the right ocean?

Piratebuns
Jul 31, 2005

How'd you like to scrape the barnacles off of me rudder?
In as Humperdinck

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
Yes, I'm on the right ocean. Just wasn't thinking when I posted. I'm actually GraBug on Sage.

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen
in as Heatmonger!

Lurker God
Jan 28, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT GETTING OWNED BY DAVID HOROWITZ (AND BEING FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF THE JEWISH RACE LOL)sieg heil ronald mcdonald;;
In as Akheilos.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I used to play the holy hell out of this, I was like #3 on my ocean for swordfighting. But that was a younger age.

In as Patware.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
If you're curious as to how the merged oceans will work, the Emerald ocean under the Subscription ocean options is the testbed for the merged ocean mechanics, and is actually what our current ocean will look like (more or less) when the merger actually happens.

It's set to subscriber status so no doubloons are wasted, as after testing is over, they'll remerge the oceans (so any progress on the current Emerald will be lost).

Player numbers are low, but then again they haven't exactly advertised the testing well, and, well, testing ocean and YPP has never had good numbers on the test servers.

edit: Pillage on Friday (1/20) at 5PM server time (Pacific time) on Sage. Be there, tartes.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 19, 2012

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
Merged oceans as of today!

If you're having a stupidly hard time logging in today, that's because the oceans have just merged. Normally, the client will automatically update when you attempt to log in, but mine refused to work properly. If you have the same problem, try what I did - log in to Jade, and the autoinstall thing might kick in.

See you on Emerald!

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
New ocean is twice as big. Logged on for 20 minutes. Tripled my money with poker.

I like the new ocean.

e: People play really really terribly on the 20K-200K tables. Play on those.

e2: Octupled. what do I buy with 640K anyways?

ArtIsResistance fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 1, 2012

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004
Beware that there have been some bugs since the merger:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2458538#2458538

Basically don't make big bets and don't go on sinking voyages for a while.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Oddly enough I have not personally encountered ANY of the listed bugs on Emerald. At all. And I even sank two or three times thanks to people unironically bickering about whether Sage or Hunter was better instead of focusing on the Atlantis attack at hand. :sigh:

ANYWAY, on to why I'm actually posting: Player numbers are currently at the highest level I've personally seen them in a long rear end time. As I write this, there are over 1500+ people on Emerald, our new home. So if you were afraid of the game dying, don't be. Download the game from the website link in the OP, or search for it on Steam (probably easier), and join us!

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004

Grinnblade posted:

Oddly enough I have not personally encountered ANY of the listed bugs on Emerald. At all. And I even sank two or three times thanks to people unironically bickering about whether Sage or Hunter was better instead of focusing on the Atlantis attack at hand. :sigh:

ANYWAY, on to why I'm actually posting: Player numbers are currently at the highest level I've personally seen them in a long rear end time. As I write this, there are over 1500+ people on Emerald, our new home. So if you were afraid of the game dying, don't be. Download the game from the website link in the OP, or search for it on Steam (probably easier), and join us!

My minimap disappeared like 2 minutes after I logged in, and now that I logged out to do dishes I can't get back in. So they are definitely happening, even if you are a lucky son of a gun.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Started day with 84K

2 Hours or so of 20K-200K poker later:

e: ahahahahahahahhaha

ArtIsResistance fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 2, 2012

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I never got an invite. I forgot how it works, do I have to be actively logged in at the time of receiving an invite, or will it just sit there until I get around to it? I don't know if it timed out or if whoever's all in charge of invites are cold and hateful :(

ArtIsResistance posted:

Started day with 84K

You're disgusting.

That's disgusting.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

ArtIsResistance posted:

Started day with 84K

I wish I had any clue how to play poker. :smith:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

cubivore posted:

I wish I had any clue how to play poker. :smith:

Yeah, same here :haw:

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I am stuck on Meridian, but this has been the best (virtually only) change they have made in years. I have too much stuff to change ocean and join the rest of the goons though, even if I never use any of my boats.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I'm actually a fleet officer of TSM on Emerald so I'm pretty sure I can invite people to this (for all intents and purposes, dead) crew. If you're going to be somewhat active we could probably get you put in as the captain with some mod intervention (currently the captain/SOs are dormant pirates)

My motivation to help may just be a ploy to get a bankroll from that rich dude a couple posts up.

edit: alternatively if there's another crew going on it might just be easier to move to that

staplegun fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 2, 2012

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007

staplegun posted:

(for all intents and purposes, dead) crew.

Wutchu talkin about Staples

We're on "TSM-West" at the moment, getting the crews merged together.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

In as JiggeryPoke!

Smokin
Aug 24, 2011
Played around for a bit tonight, seems like a fun game. Playing as Ltsmokin on Emerald.

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
Since it didn't seem that I was clear enough a while back, this is was our plan:

We are merging merged the crews on Hunter and Sage together to reunite TSM and TSM-West.

Meanwhile, if you want to join up with us, we're all currently on The Salty Mouthfuls-West. We'll let you know when the rename is completed.

extrametrical fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 3, 2012

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Its quite difficult to actually link with the crew in game.

For new players type /whois The Salty Mouthfuls and you will be enlightened

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Tail
Jan 3, 2012

"I am the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. The first and the last."

Chaos Dunk
In as Fluffytail

Time to see just how much worse I've gotten since I was younger!

• Locked thread