Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

Given the following scenario:

- Network port on x.x.x.0/24 network which I have no administrative control over
- Managed Cisco switch which I own
- Host A which needs to reside on x.x.x.0/24, but REQUIRES my Cisco switch for network connectivity

What would be the best way to seamlessly connect my Switch to the network as transparently as possible, to expose only the port on which host A communicates?

My initial thought was something like this:

vlan 990
name EXISTING-NETWORK

int gig0/24
description Uplink to EXISTING NETWORK / x.x.x.0/24
switchport host
switchport access vlan 990
no cdp enable
int gig0/23
description Host A network port x.x.x.1/24
switchport host
switchport access vlan 990
no cdp enable

while everything else is a member of a different vlan. Thoughts?

The two minute explanation is that I have a HP BladeSystem rack which uses Cisco interconnects. The blades don't have a physical network port, they just terminate right to the interconnect's switchports. I need to get one system on the existing network to act as a firewall, the remainder will be in a private non-routable subnet.

The second I plug my switch in, my network port goes dead for five minutes. I assume I've tripped some sort of access violation on the existing network. My University Tech Services contact is out of the office for the next few days so I'm just sort of blindly stumbling while trying not to ruin anyone's day. I was hoping the above would be enough to emulate a dumbswitch, with which the existing network seems to have no problems, but apparently it isn't.

I have a feeling this isn't something anyone can solve until we know more about the infrastructure on x.x.x.0/24 or get someone from UTS involved, but I'm throwing this out there since I'm brainstorming it. There's probably something infinitely boneheaded about what I'm doing, but I don't think I've ever really run across a scenario uplinking two switches where a trunk wasn't involved.
Turn off spanning tree on the switch connecting to the existing network, use port fast. That should take care of it. I suspect on the network port you are plugging into they have BPDU Guard enabled to auto-recover after 5 minutes. Which is pretty typical to prevent people from plugging switches into their network, like what you are doing. Just be careful not to carelessly create a loop somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Langolas posted:

So I'm working on a lab I've come up with to learn the basics of Layer 3 VLAN Routing and a few other things using a couple of 37050s. I am kind of stuck as to why one portion isn't happening, and its probably an easy question.

Here is my Setup:

Switch 1 - Trying to make this switch be the main DHCP server
Vlan 1 - 192.168.1.1
Vlan 997 - 192.168.20.1

Switch 2
Vlan 1 - 192.168.2.1
Vlan 997 - 192.168.20.2

I have routes setup so both switches can talk to eachother no problem. I have a dhcp pool setup on Switch 1. I set Vlan 1 on Switch 2 to use Ip helper and pointed it to Switch 1. I still can't get any IP addresses on Switch 2 using that method.

Now heres what I looked up to see if maybe I should setup switch 1 like this. Should I setup a dhcp server to setting similar to what is demonstrated here? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfdhcp.html

The goal is to have Switch 1 be my DHCP server and then do dhcp snooping on switch 2 so I can test that out and see how it works. I just need Switch 1 to give out addresses to switch 2 in the 192.168.2.0/24 range while anything plugged into switch 1 will get an ip in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet

If you guys want some configs I'll post them, Thanks!
Also I don't think you are actually creating a DHCP pool on the switch because I don't think a 3750 can act as a DHCP server. Post the conifgs anyway though.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

Also I don't think you are actually creating a DHCP pool on the switch because I don't think a 3750 can act as a DHCP server. Post the conifgs anyway though.

I've never tried it, but I was assuming that if it came up in the service list it would be an option...

ORG-SW00#sho ver

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

ORG-SW00(config)#service ?
compress-config Compress the configuration file
config TFTP load config files
counters Control aging of interface counters
dhcp Enable DHCP server and relay agent
disable-ip-fast-frag Disable IP particle-based fast fragmentation
exec-callback Enable exec callback

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

I don't think a 3750 can act as a DHCP server

They can.

Vlan 1 on Switch 2 is on a different network. Do you have a DHCP pool setup for that network on Switch 1?

EDIT

Anyway. Speaking of labs.

I have to create one for my group. We like to be "proactive" and distinguish our group from all of the others in the company. One thing we do is have different departments give a little lecture and example on some of the things we do throughout the day, hardware, etc.

Well, I'm doing basic switching.

Gonna setup four 3500s with an SVI, each with it's own IP range. Gonna try to do some basic routing between them. I'll explain spanning tree, try to create a loop, etc. Break it and ask them what happened. Same with VTP, VTP status, server, etc and over writing VTP domains, etc.

Anything level 1 that I should add that you'd suggest?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 1, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Turn off spanning tree on the switch connecting to the existing network, use port fast. That should take care of it. I suspect on the network port you are plugging into they have BPDU Guard enabled to auto-recover after 5 minutes. Which is pretty typical to prevent people from plugging switches into their network, like what you are doing. Just be careful not to carelessly create a loop somewhere else.

:doh: PBDU guard: I figured I was forgetting something. I'll give this a shot in a second, thanks!

I assume that in my case I'd just need "no span vlan 990", since that's the only VLAN that g0/24 participates in, correct?

edit: 100% effective, thanks. I knew it was something simple :argh:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 1, 2012

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

BelDin posted:

Try separating the VLANs and use one for the .1.x/24 network and the other for the .2.x/24 network.

This probaby won't work as you are intending it to. helper addresses are used to turn certain broadcast traffic into unicast traffic. Since you are using the same VLAN for both network ranges, the broadcast will be picked up across the VLAN and does not need converted to unicast.

Create two different VLANS and networks on Switch A using SVIs, enable basic routing (for inter-VLAN travel), trunk a port to switch B and set up your snooping, then make a DHCP pool with the two different subnetwork ranges and gateway/dns options. Once you do that, you should be serving on two different networks without using helper addresses.

Here's some help on the DHCP syntax.

If you REALLY want to use helper addresses, you will probably need to make a device other than a switch your DHCP server.

Technically as another goon pointed out, the two vlan 1's are separate as I am using the Vlan 997 to route traffic between them. The 3750 does support DHCP functions that the dhcp item I linked used.

I need to try to get the 192.168.2.0 dhcp pool to work with having switch 2 sending dhcp requests to switch 1.

Edit: I have a 2621 sitting around doing nothing I can make into a full blown DCHP server if needed as the goal is to have a source of DHCP that is connected to switch 1 give out dhcp to Switch 2 and then I turn on DHCP snooping to stop a rogue router from interfering with dhcp functions

Langolas fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 1, 2012

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Ok I got it working how I want. Thank you all for your ideas that got my brain kicked into gear like I needed. Here are my configs for the hell of it:

Switch 1

version 15.0
hostname switch1
no aaa new-model
switch 1 provision ws-c3750v2-48ps
system mtu routing 1500
ip routing
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.5
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.2.1
ip dhcp pool VLAN1
network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
ip dhcp pool VLAN2
network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.1.1
interface Port-channel1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 997
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
channel-group 1 mode on
spanning-tree portfast
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
channel-group 1 mode on
spanning-tree portfast
interface Vlan1
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
interface Vlan997
ip address 192.168.20.1 255.255.255.0
ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.20.2

Switch 2:

version 12.2
hostname switch2
ip subnet-zero
ip routing
interface Port-channel1
switchport mode trunk
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode on
spanning-tree portfast
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode on
spanning-tree portfast
interface Vlan1
ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 192.168.1.1
interface Vlan997
ip address 192.168.20.2 255.255.255.0
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.20.1

Boundless316
Jan 10, 2004
I am Who I Am
I've inherited several 2811's with various interface cards, mostly T1 and ISDN cards. My boss swears up and down that when he disconnected them from the old site the previous owners had the T1 cards connected to various DSL/Cable modems. I called bullshit but he insists it's the truth.

Is it possible to configure those cards to work with a DSL or cable modem? If so will these routers provide redundant/fail over WAN connections?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Boundless316 posted:

I've inherited several 2811's with various interface cards, mostly T1 and ISDN cards. My boss swears up and down that when he disconnected them from the old site the previous owners had the T1 cards connected to various DSL/Cable modems. I called bullshit but he insists it's the truth.

Is it possible to configure those cards to work with a DSL or cable modem? If so will these routers provide redundant/fail over WAN connections?

I'm fairly certain I've seen that setup before as well. We may even have a customer with that setup via a third party (we merely provide transport/routing).

A quick Google gives me the impression that this is a thing.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I've only seen ATM cards able to handle DSL since it usually requires a VPI/VCI. I guess I can't really see how a serial T1 WIC would work with a DSL or cable modem.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
You can terminate VC's over ATM, but an ATM card alone won't work with DSL because the media isn't the same type. And no, you can't just plug a cable modem into an ISDN card or a T1 CSU/DSU card because ISDN/T1 is not ethernet, and last I knew nobody's ever made a DSL or DOCSIS cable modem that spits out serial.

Boundless316
Jan 10, 2004
I am Who I Am

GOOCHY posted:

I've only seen ATM cards able to handle DSL since it usually requires a VPI/VCI. I guess I can't really see how a serial T1 WIC would work with a DSL or cable modem.

Which is what I told him but he swears they had it working and that he personally unplugged several DSL/Cable modems from the T1 cards. And I should point out these weren't from some backwoods tech shop, we inherited these from a recently bankrupt multinational company with a huge IT infrastructure.

Though I got bored the other day and did a quick search on ebay for Cisco interface cards. They do sell both DSL and Cable cards (so far I've only found DOCSIS 2 cards). Assuming the ISP will support it it doesn't seem like it would be to difficult to configure the cards and set them up to do load balancing.

Thanks guys!

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Boundless316 posted:

And I should point out these weren't from some backwoods tech shop, we inherited these from a recently bankrupt multinational company with a huge IT infrastructure.
Let me guess, MF Global?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Boundless316 posted:

Which is what I told him but he swears they had it working and that he personally unplugged several DSL/Cable modems from the T1 cards. And I should point out these weren't from some backwoods tech shop, we inherited these from a recently bankrupt multinational company with a huge IT infrastructure.

Though I got bored the other day and did a quick search on ebay for Cisco interface cards. They do sell both DSL and Cable cards (so far I've only found DOCSIS 2 cards). Assuming the ISP will support it it doesn't seem like it would be to difficult to configure the cards and set them up to do load balancing.

Thanks guys!

Why don't you pull the model number and show him the spec sheet? He might be mis-remembering, I do it all the time.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Boundless316 posted:

They do sell both DSL and Cable cards (so far I've only found DOCSIS 2 cards).

Just a warning about the DSL cards - the normal WIC-1ADSL cards are ADSL1 only. You don't get ADSL2+ speeds unless you buy the HWIC-1ADSL-M card (which is really expensive.)

You're better off (and better supported) by just plugging a telco/cableco-provided modem into an ethernet port on your router. Even a HWIC-4ESW is a better idea than having the DOCSIS card.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Boundless316 posted:

Which is what I told him but he swears they had it working and that he personally unplugged several DSL/Cable modems from the T1 cards.

No, what he did was unplug the T1 cards from NIUs that he thought were DSL or cable modems.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

jwh posted:

No, what he did was unplug the T1 cards from NIUs that he thought were DSL or cable modems.

Or unplug the DSL modem from the ethernet port he thought was a T1 WIC?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ninja Rope posted:

Or unplug the DSL modem from the ethernet port he thought was a T1 WIC?

That's kinda unlikely because ethernet WICs are really expensive and don't support full feature sets (or are simply unsupported in many routers) like the built-in ports do. It typically makes more sense to just buy a router that has enough ports from the start.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 3, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
nah, ethernet hwics are fully layer 3 compliant, and afaik not that expensive compared to T1-V2 cards.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Is there a downside to enabling jumbo frames on a C3560X-24, given that none of the hosts connected to it are set for jumbo frames? We've got some power work that will require a full shutdown of everything coming up, so it'd be a good time to get the switch reboot out of the way. The switch just handles iSCSI/NFS traffic between a NetApp FAS2020, a few ESXi 4.1 hosts and (soon) some Compellent controllers.

If there's no downside to enabling it on the switch first, I'll do that and then get the hosts reconfigured for it as well.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Powercrazy posted:

nah, ethernet hwics are fully layer 3 compliant, and afaik not that expensive compared to T1-V2 cards.

You can get grey-market WIC-1ADSL for ~$50-70, and T1-V2 wics for ~$40. HWIC-1FE cards are $400+ and that's a pretty high cost just for one ethernet port. I was fudging it with a few routers with HWIC-4ESW but I just realized that SVI interfaces arent' fully layer 3, so traffic shaping doesn't work.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea SVIs aren't the same as routed ports. But that applies in general even across vendors. You're right about the costs though, especially if you are aggregating multiple DSL/Cable modems.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Mierdaan posted:

Is there a downside to enabling jumbo frames on a C3560X-24, given that none of the hosts connected to it are set for jumbo frames? We've got some power work that will require a full shutdown of everything coming up, so it'd be a good time to get the switch reboot out of the way. The switch just handles iSCSI/NFS traffic between a NetApp FAS2020, a few ESXi 4.1 hosts and (soon) some Compellent controllers.

If there's no downside to enabling it on the switch first, I'll do that and then get the hosts reconfigured for it as well.

As long as anything moving the packets and the servers support it/configured for it you should be fine, oh and you're not doing ospf on the 3560

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Just manually set 'ip mtu' to 1500 on any routed interfaces and you're fine w/ OSPF. May want to consider upping MTU to max as well (2000ish?) as I suspect it requires a reeboot to take.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, no routing of any sort, it's just a dumb L2 switch moving iSCSI and NFS traffic between some storage and some hosts. Just wanted to make sure I had the order of operations right.

I'm not sure if I should flip jumbo frames on for the iSCSI targets or the ESXi/windows hosts first, but since I'll be coming back up from downtime it won't really matter.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Building up a lab to demonstrate basic switching for non network types.

Got a bunch of old rear end 3500s. Trying to get a trunk up between the two of them. Bare bones on both interface. Set the encap to dot1q, switchport mode trunk, no shut.

Vlan 2 with an SVI and appropriate IP address exists on both switches.

Interfaces stay down. Tested multiple interfaces, etc.

Am I forgetting something really dumb?

EDIT

Yes, I was. Needed a crossover cable. MDIX not supported on these 3500s.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 3, 2012

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Building up a lab to demonstrate basic switching for non network types.

Got a bunch of old rear end 3500s. Trying to get a trunk up between the two of them. Bare bones on both interface. Set the encap to dot1q, switchport mode trunk, no shut.

Vlan 2 with an SVI and appropriate IP address exists on both switches.

Interfaces stay down. Tested multiple interfaces, etc.

Am I forgetting something really dumb?

EDIT

Yes, I was. Needed a crossover cable. MDIX not supported on these 3500s.

My question is... who hasn't had this exact problem before? I know I've done that before and after 30 minutes of banging my head i figured it out.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Langolas posted:

My question is... who hasn't had this exact problem before? I know I've done that before and after 30 minutes of banging my head i figured it out.

It's usually one of the first things I check. I always use crossover when connecting network devices though to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Auto-MDIX is such a great invention but it's so terrible in terms of bad habits.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love the little videos that Cisco managers do for the website to show off products, but it's terribly obvious why each and every manager at Cisco didn't go into acting as a career.

" :stare: Each cisco UCS 5100 chassis comes with four --" *paws at chassis trying to not break eye contact with camera, trying to point at power supplies* "-- up to four redundant power supplies. :stare:"

It's the :stare:-face that gets me every time :haw:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Not too mention that those videos aren't useful at all. I much prefer the white papers and maybe some labeled hi-res pictures (which don't exist.)

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I love the little videos that Cisco managers do for the website to show off products, but it's terribly obvious why each and every manager at Cisco didn't go into acting as a career.

" :stare: Each cisco UCS 5100 chassis comes with four --" *paws at chassis trying to not break eye contact with camera, trying to point at power supplies* "-- up to four redundant power supplies. :stare:"

It's the :stare:-face that gets me every time :haw:

oh I love those, there are some terrible terrible ones which makes me wonder wtf they were thinking when they allowed them through

On topic:

Random question, leaking a route between virtual routers in juniper land, how do I handle the next hop? If I leak say 10.1.1.0/27 the next hop is in another inet table which means it won't work. I'm not being lazy here Ill figure it out tomorrow but was just wondering. When I did it in Cisco land (static routes) you just set the next-hop and VRF. I'm also leaking using OSPF which mayyyy not work.

The other thing is I need to leak a discard route which also dons't seem to be right after a glance as the static route placed in the table is set to be discarded.

Probably not explaining this very well :(

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Not too mention that those videos aren't useful at all. I much prefer the white papers and maybe some labeled hi-res pictures (which don't exist.)

I like Jimmy Ray on TechWise :colbert:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

nzspambot posted:

oh I love those, there are some terrible terrible ones which makes me wonder wtf they were thinking when they allowed them through

On topic:

Random question, leaking a route between virtual routers in juniper land, how do I handle the next hop? If I leak say 10.1.1.0/27 the next hop is in another inet table which means it won't work. I'm not being lazy here Ill figure it out tomorrow but was just wondering. When I did it in Cisco land (static routes) you just set the next-hop and VRF. I'm also leaking using OSPF which mayyyy not work.

The other thing is I need to leak a discard route which also dons't seem to be right after a glance as the static route placed in the table is set to be discarded.

Probably not explaining this very well :(

Nub question.

What is "leaking"?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Nub question.

What is "leaking"?

Leaking is referring to importing/exporting routes between VRF instances. A VRF as a virtual router inside your router, with it's own routing/arp tables which is typically used in SP networks to separate customers (MPLS Layer 3 VPN). Sometimes you'll have routes you want to leak between VPNs (especially if the customer has multiple VPNs) for shared service networks etc.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
TY.

Here's a problem I came across today. Very very high IP Input.

I've checked over our traffic graph and am not seeing any customers maxing out their traffic. This core 6500 is BGP peered with our ASRs but is not sending or receiving full routes. The only interface that has a high counter for broadcasts is an interface that's been down for quite some time. No debugging either.

Not sure where else to look.

EDIT

I'm under the impression that L3 Input being high means that a high number of packets are being punted to the CPU.

Here's a sample.

quote:

L2 Switched: ucast: 74 pkt, 5546 bytes - mcast: 5 pkt, 368 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 267122 pkt, 17235629 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2286319 pkt, 146324794 bytes - mcast: 799941 pkt, 74695506 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 1112093848 pkt, 335070339422 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 3515340 pkt, 303739640 bytes - mcast: 37663 pkt, 3050601 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 5080732118 pkt, 1797482698254 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 105940 pkt, 6780160 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 51093563 pkt, 8432599365 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2288519 pkt, 146484222 bytes - mcast: 38091 pkt, 3085099 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 1129361550 pkt, 431843986490 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 87 pkt, 7100 bytes - mcast: 39611 pkt, 3723391 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 185868374 pkt, 105127647647 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 33 pkt, 2654 bytes - mcast: 18652 pkt, 1791360 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 5128 pkt, 682405 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2297762 pkt, 147143866 bytes - mcast: 782046 pkt, 72904038 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 3164071588 pkt, 1595562785807 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 168 pkt, 10752 bytes - mcast: 56 pkt, 5264 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 18081 pkt, 1307404 bytes - mcast: 4943216 pkt, 385665127 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 7552377721 pkt, 999448620166 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2736980 pkt, 175166720 bytes - mcast: 761923 pkt, 71616676 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 347026046 pkt, 52463771604 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 19250 pkt, 1234982 bytes - mcast: 6161 pkt, 394304 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 13252236686 pkt, 16674576753627 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2286239 pkt, 146319632 bytes - mcast: 766528 pkt, 71912395 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 15427012886 pkt, 20082127085573 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2284592 pkt, 146213920 bytes - mcast: 807299 pkt, 74520794 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 597626137 pkt, 179417392793 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2959 pkt, 213932 bytes - mcast: 4339 pkt, 515851 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 816070 pkt, 1002862609 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2292999 pkt, 146780990 bytes - mcast: 4471 pkt, 286144 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 1455486192 pkt, 474001683683 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 13 pkt, 1243 bytes - mcast: 235149 pkt, 22103886 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 173 pkt, 32954 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 1578421 pkt, 101278618 bytes - mcast: 557222 pkt, 50807234 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 1402835245 pkt, 232632455743 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2308352 pkt, 148241116 bytes - mcast: 4937972 pkt, 385165061 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 18974308 pkt, 2521332009 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 707582 pkt, 78652768 bytes - mcast: 140458 pkt, 9049197 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 277180861 pkt, 39308031421 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 3441174 pkt, 280835968 bytes - mcast: 304808 pkt, 30054544 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 12325670697 pkt, 5422117808902 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2295976 pkt, 146942964 bytes - mcast: 43045 pkt, 3681452 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 2101373276 pkt, 654985530713 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 8020069 pkt, 513689575 bytes - mcast: 4951757 pkt, 386047187 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 15108776 pkt, 1960718668 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 3832890 pkt, 275815605 bytes - mcast: 9596924 pkt, 885266601 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 1872075151 pkt, 867254295330 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 29166489 pkt, 2905191793 bytes - mcast: 4376280 pkt, 341848160 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 314503257589 pkt, 342736888068540 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2277 pkt, 224338 bytes - mcast: 1931 pkt, 310188 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 303473779 pkt, 287605005893 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
L2 Switched: ucast: 3040722 pkt, 246297956 bytes - mcast: 60937432 pkt, 3923492822 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 3588610380 pkt, 1267694423085 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 28579 pkt, 1966352 bytes - mcast: 1900 pkt, 206103 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 5919355929 pkt, 1057548488918 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 822116 pkt, 58222844 bytes - mcast: 427723 pkt, 296929696 bytes
L2 Switched: ucast: 156309196 pkt, 48665158721 bytes - mcast: 10017669 pkt, 887693645 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 1097160023537 pkt, 1134000259924203 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 18176074 pkt, 1520250940 bytes - mcast: 4947131 pkt, 387679804 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 1091448907299 pkt, 1136165240835714 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2723178 pkt, 239965359 bytes - mcast: 2 pkt, 128 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 249533702628 pkt, 45666083456902 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 11607025 pkt, 1045708608 bytes - mcast: 3138274 pkt, 245999504 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 637703057856 pkt, 693875489944849 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 37457508 pkt, 43017393934 bytes - mcast: 2319294 pkt, 182094917 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 382533586541 pkt, 418026119139343 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 547641 pkt, 35049052 bytes - mcast: 22 pkt, 1564 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 59241133 pkt, 12123879114 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 344776 pkt, 22065664 bytes - mcast: 22510 pkt, 1440958 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 42057556 pkt, 8289572721 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 28688 pkt, 2882389 bytes - mcast: 8518925 pkt, 562722381 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 989 pkt, 89367 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 1132760 pkt, 313157504 bytes - mcast: 9127251 pkt, 868577015 bytes
L2 Switched: ucast: 20225649171 pkt, 14477822182886 bytes - mcast: 27883936 pkt, 1838142273 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 47439086441 pkt, 31249714945806 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 1114294253046 pkt, 1001468400486823 bytes - mcast: 26954032 pkt, 1777314039 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 2105219759662 pkt, 341324493061003 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 4882307449 pkt, 1064665947045 bytes - mcast: 9585771 pkt, 631002583 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 7442167620 pkt, 1620615869202 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 3610855140 pkt, 1256076387437 bytes - mcast: 29455919 pkt, 2182370121 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 109193093099 pkt, 105653479912130 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2381481 pkt, 161351998 bytes - mcast: 14726928 pkt, 1029194425 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 2600287 pkt, 272706940 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 24767740979 pkt, 12371005913526 bytes - mcast: 25373454 pkt, 1777127235 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 95339579046 pkt, 58205983488834 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 2745262363 pkt, 2531657619788 bytes - mcast: 18497961 pkt, 1218256135 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 20719748889 pkt, 2405646611161 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L2 Switched: ucast: 26366041 pkt, 2782897548 bytes - mcast: 14839745 pkt, 1093039174 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 84204673418 pkt, 88334173577525 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 7, 2012

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

So I need you guys to again confirm my train of thought. Honestly the quick answers I get from this thread makes it the best place to ask a yes/no question for bouncing an idea off of someone else.

I have a Cisco asa 5520 setup with Two factor VPN. I am using a LOCAL-CA server on this 5520 to handle the certificates for my 2nd factor.

I plan on making a remote office 5505 use two factor as well for connecting to that device. I am going to set them up with certificate revocation and a CRL pointing to my 5520. Would this work the way I think it will? Here is my outline of what its gonna look like:

5520 Local-CA server(Certificates are Here) -----INTERNETZ------ 5505 at remote site.

5505 Set to use the CRL Located on my 5520 and point everything to authenticate certificates via there.

Any thoughts on why this idea will/won't work? I'm pretty sure once I setup the certificates and trust between them it should be ok

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Here's a problem I came across today. Very very high IP Input.

By IP input, do you mean the IP input process is consuming large amounts of CPU?

If so this would be due to packets punting to the RP, did you make any changes recently (ACLs, etc) ? What's the output of "show platform hardware capacity forwarding" and "show mls cef exception status" ?

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 7, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

ragzilla posted:

By IP input, do you mean the IP input process is consuming large amounts of CPU?

If so this would be due to packets punting to the RP, did you make any changes recently (ACLs, etc) ? What's the output of "show platform hardware capacity forwarding" and "show mls cef exception status" ?

Correct. Show Proc CPU Sort shows IP Input at the top, usually around 25% but sometimes higher.

L2 Forwarding Resources
MAC Table usage: Module Collisions Total Used %Used
4 0 98304 230 1%
5 0 65536 229 1%
6 0 65536 229 1%
9 0 65536 230 1%

VPN CAM usage: Total Used %Used
512 0 0%
L3 Forwarding Resources
FIB TCAM usage: Total Used %Used
72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM) 245760 1339 1%
144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6) 8192 26 1%

detail: Protocol Used %Used
IPv4 1337 1%
MPLS 1 1%
EoM 1 1%

IPv6 19 1%
IPv4 mcast 4 1%
IPv6 mcast 3 1%

Adjacency usage: Total Used %Used
1048576 1277 1%

Forwarding engine load:
Module pps peak-pps peak-time
4 371060 2441831 20:44:00 CDT Wed Jan 18 2012
5 13799 2359402 21:08:49 CDT Thu Dec 15 2011
6 15423 890464 01:14:56 CDT Mon Jun 27 2011
9 100579 3455430 22:27:41 CDT Wed Aug 24 2011

Current IPv4 FIB exception state = FALSE
Current IPv6 FIB exception state = FALSE
Current MPLS FIB exception state = FALSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
For the time being I've turned off ip unreachables on the interfaces heading out to our ASRs. Where as IP input has been hovering around 40% all day, now it's down to 15%. Dunno if that's a coincidence or not.