Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John XIII
Dec 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh

zakharov posted:

Most of us are familiar with the bloviations of Mr. Whitlock. He's one of the people that I feel bad about agreeing with once in a blue moon.

Haha, now I don't feel so bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer was demoted from Browns beat reporter, a position he'd held for 25+ years of lazy and uninspired writing. The reason? He accidentally tweeted that Browns owner Randy Lerner was "a pathetic figure...the most irrelevant billionaire."

I finally agree with something Tony said, but that is a lovely way to lose your job. However, this is the same hack who headed the expedition to force Mangini out of town and then blindly make excuses for the continued failures under Holmgren, so good riddance.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
ESPN Statlines are completely ridiculous sometimes. I don't remember the exact wording, but Tim Tebow was the first quarterback ever to lead 6 4th quarter comebacks in his first seven games (or something of that nature).

Since there are so many sports analysts and many hours of televised programming on various networks, is this a recent phenomenon to come up with such ridiculous sample sizes? Or have statisticians always done this?

edit: :catdrugs:

Jason Whitlock posted:

College football fans say playoffs are the perfect way to end a season, right? The division championship games left me feeling flat. The best teams did not win.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 2, 2012

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A.J. Daulerio went crazy again. Just check out the loving url of his latest Deadspin entry:

http://deadspin.com/5881346/dear-brian-cashman-i-am-wearing-your-pajama-pants-in-your-mistresss-living-room

quote:

Back in October, Deadspin acquired photos that showed Brian Cashman, general manager of the Yankees, meeting with an alleged girlfriend in February 2009. Soon after that story ran, we were tipped off that Cashman, still married to his wife of 16 years, had ended that particular affair but had since moved on to another mistress.

In October, I reached out to the second woman and she (along with Cashman) insisted that their relationship was strictly platonic. But last week, this other-other woman—who insists on only being called "Lou"—reached out to me again to explain that she had carried on an extramarital affair with Cashman since last April. Things had soured.

"gently caress him," she said Tuesday night, when we met at her Manhattan apartment. "I'm finished with him destroying my life and his family."

Lou claimed that Cashman is still married to his wife, Mary, but that the two have lived in separate residences since 2009—the wife in Darien, Conn., and Cashman in an apartment in Rowayton. As their affair progressed, Lou said, she planned on moving to Connecticut to be closer to Brian, but only on the condition that he legally separate from Mary.

That never happened. Lou became increasingly frustrated. She said that she called Brian's wife a few days ago and told her about their affair.

At our interview Tuesday night, after Lou shared voicemails and text messages she'd received from Cashman over the past few months—

—she detailed the story of their affair. She said that Cashman visited her apartment a couple of times each week, and that he set aside tickets for her in Yankee Stadium's family section (284F) for most of last season. Cashman has met some of her friends. They've been spotted bopping around various bars and restaurants in Tribeca—he's a "lightweight" of a drinker, she said. He sometimes took the on the alias "Steve" to ward off any Yankee fans who recognized him. They watched The Hangover Part II together. ("It was the first time he'd seen a he-she," Lou mused.) He even wrote her a recommendation letter:

She showed me the black American Essentials pajama bottoms (size: medium; game-worn) that Cashman had purchased at T.J. Maxx so he'd be more comfortable during their sleepovers. Finally, she showed me the orange toothbrush he kept in her bathroom.

And then she took my photograph.

There is much more to Lou's story, including some of the Yankee-related conversations she had with Cashman throughout last season. ("He was really pissed at Jorge Posada," she said at one point Tuesday. "He said Jorge was acting like a spoiled brat.")

We'll share more with you in the coming weeks. To be continued ...

He even attached a picture of himself wearing said pajama bottoms and holding Cashman's toothbrush. I have a feeling he's banned from Yankee Stadium.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 2, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

A.J. Daulerio went crazy again. Just check out the loving url of his latest Deadspin entry:

Who does this poo poo appeal to?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

morestuff posted:

I suspect there's a bigger crossover between gossiphounds and sports fans than anyone would like to admit.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I thought that picture was of Luke Wilson at first.

Daulerio is a loving insane, sleazy douche.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have to imagine Will Leitch isn't too happy about that rear end in a top hat ruining his baby

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

morestuff posted:

I'm laughing pretty hard at it, so I guess in that sense it's me.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

My basic feeling about celebrities and public figures having sex is good for them, I hope they have a lot of sex, and I don't want to hear about it. Sadly not everyone shares this point of view.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

We live in an age where a guy wearing a pair of pants is a news story. God Bless America.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

At least its less creepy than those "Deadspin i-Team" articles.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
So Deadspin is basically the National Enquirer at this point.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
the world would be a much better place when people stop giving a poo poo about who is loving who so long as everyone involved is of age and a willing participant

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

jeffersonlives posted:

I suspect there's a bigger crossover between gossiphounds and sports fans than anyone would like to admit.

This is true for players I think but for GMs? This particular story they've put up in various ways in the last few months and it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

stimpy posted:

the world would be a much better place when people stop giving a poo poo about who is loving who so long as everyone involved is of age and a willing participant

I dunno dude I think if someone makes a commitment to another person and then fucks someone else without first ending the commitment that is pretty morally not cool.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

Medical Sword posted:

I dunno dude I think if someone makes a commitment to another person and then fucks someone else without first ending the commitment that is pretty morally not cool.

it is, but that should stay between the people involved.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

stimpy posted:

it is, but that should stay between the people involved.

If someone is prone to breaking commitments and being dishonest those are character traits worth knowing about

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gonna leave this here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120201&content_id=26536708&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

quote:

This makes you respect Babe Ruth and Willie Mays even more. At 714 and 660, respectively, those sluggers are the only members of baseball's top 10 home run hitters who didn't homer as a DH.

Ruth and Mays never were DHs, because that option wasn't available to them when they played.

It was for Bonds.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
We know nothing about Cash's marriage, and have no idea what he is our isn't committed to. Especially if he and his wife were already living in separate homes.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
Baaaaabe Ruuuuuth didn't use the internet.

*slams briefcase shut and stomps out of courtroom*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Babe Ruth was also drunk most of the time which probably gave him an extra ten or fifteen homers per year.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Barry Bonds played 39 games at DH, which gave him 10 of his 762 home runs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
but if you take them away that means he only hit 752 home runs which makes bab.... oh

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Medical Sword posted:

If someone is prone to breaking commitments and being dishonest those are character traits worth knowing about

Ignoring other issues like what Mornacale mentioned, what does it matter whether or not the public knows that Brian Cashman cheats on his wife? What difference does it make to anything, anywhere, to anyone, outside of Cashman's personal relationships?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brian-Cashman-Stalker-Arrested-Yankees-GM-138602739.html

A woman named Louise was arrested for stalking Brian Cashman. I think Mr. Daulerio is about to look like even more of an rear end in a top hat than he already was.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

zakharov posted:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brian-Cashman-Stalker-Arrested-Yankees-GM-138602739.html

A woman named Louise was arrested for stalking Brian Cashman. I think Mr. Daulerio is about to look like even more of an rear end in a top hat than he already was.

You mean that toothbrush might have been faked?!?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
My god. Those could have been just anyone's pajama pants. My faith in the edifice of journalism is forever shattered!

Also, my feelings about the description of the pants as "game-worn" have just been raised from :stare: to :stonk:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

zakharov posted:

If this is right, and everything it implies about deadspin, that really should be the end of them.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

exethan posted:

ESPN Statlines are completely ridiculous sometimes. I don't remember the exact wording, but Tim Tebow was the first quarterback ever to lead 6 4th quarter comebacks in his first seven games (or something of that nature).

Since there are so many sports analysts and many hours of televised programming on various networks, is this a recent phenomenon to come up with such ridiculous sample sizes? Or have statisticians always done this?

I don't think this is really new. When ESPN has Did You Know in the 90s, wasn't it mostly random crap like that?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't think this is really new. When ESPN has Did You Know in the 90s, wasn't it mostly random crap like that?

Hell, when I was a kid, one of the alternate PBP announcers for the Dodgers (Vinny would do three innings then sit for three) named Ross Porter did this constantly. I used to make fun of him for stuff like, "Orel Hershiser is 10-7 when [insert completely irrelevant, random, idiotic situation or condition]."

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

If this is right, and everything it implies about deadspin, that really should be the end of them.

quote:

Two deposits totaling $6,000 were ultimately made into Meanwell's bank account, the complaint said. On Monday, Cashman received an email from Meanwell stating she would leave him alone if he continued to financially support her medical procedures.

Oh. Because I give my random stalker $6,000. I'm not sure "stalker" is as appropriate as "scorned lover".

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Medical Sword posted:

No, they're really not, unless you're a party involved.

'dh' apparently stands for 'dinger hitter' now i guess?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Man, with what DHing did to Barry's career, just imagine how it could make someone like Adam Dunn take off.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Onion put up a pretty good assessment of most sports blogs:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/1000-bleacher-report-writers-descend-on-super-bowl,27259/

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Alpha3KV posted:

The Onion put up a pretty good assessment of most sports blogs:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/1000-bleacher-report-writers-descend-on-super-bowl,27259/

Now I'm disappointed that there's no feed of Vin Scully narrating...well, basically anything he wants.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Doubleposting for changed topic. The new topic: go gently caress yourself, Jeff Passan.

quote:

The worst part about Josh Hamilton’s relapse is that he didn’t care. The most famous addict in sports does not go to a bar in the town where he is best known without full knowledge that his exploits will become public in a matter of hours.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_josh_hamilton_suffers_relapse_020212

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Addicts do irrational things holy poo poo :monocle:

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
eh

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Its Miller Time posted:

Oh. Because I give my random stalker $6,000. I'm not sure "stalker" is as appropriate as "scorned lover".

Sorry, have to wrap my head around this, are you defending deadspin? :psyduck: