Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

They're not horrible, but they still have some of the bad quirks of other rulesystems (penalties for sitting down, points for takedowns)

Points for takedowns is a "bad quirk" now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Sometimes I wonder what giving points only for mount and back would do. Maybe create more action, or lead to a million overtimes

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Points for takedowns is a "bad quirk" now?
Yes, to the extent that point scoring must be tolerated to avoid having matches until one guy collapses from exhaustion I think the best idea is to only have them be given for the very dominant positions that are generally agreed to be a good platform to submit someone from such as side control, north-south, mount, backmount etc.

Points for solely taking someone down is silly and if you take someone down into a dominant position the points for that position are enough, because it doesn't matter how you attained sidecontrol. It also leaves open a way of gaming the rules to get points by continually taking someone down and disengaging. Similarly I don't care for penalties for sitting down at all, if Marcelo wants to terrorize giants with his butterfly guard then let him go ahead without any weird point penalties.

Xguard86 posted:

Sometimes I wonder what giving points only for mount and back would do. Maybe create more action, or lead to a million overtimes
There would no doubt be a lot of overtime, which is why you could couple it with a few minutes of no-scoring and sudden death scoring at overtime.

It would also be acceptable to have this scoring-light system reserved for black belts and keep more scoring around for the other belts just to speed things up for the ranks that essentially don't matter at all.

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 31, 2012

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I wish more of these events would differentiate between throws and takedowns. Giving people points for a well-timed fireman's carry is one thing, but every time I see someone get rewarded for hitting a sloppy shot that just drags the opponent down and lands them in guard I get depressed. Guard has been commonly viewed as a neutral position for years, why are so many organizations still acting like it's a positional advantage for the top guy?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I wish more of these events would differentiate between throws and takedowns. Giving people points for a well-timed fireman's carry is one thing, but every time I see someone get rewarded for hitting a sloppy shot that just drags the opponent down and lands them in guard I get depressed. Guard has been commonly viewed as a neutral position for years, why are so many organizations still acting like it's a positional advantage for the top guy?
because it is
I don't really care how someone got to a position and I'm very wary of scoring how "good" a technique is, because then the sport quickly becomes a lot more subjective and ultimately a sport that's fundamentally a collection of specific techniques cough judo rather than a sport that's about achieving some result by whatever means you can muster as long as it's within these reasonable limits.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Well there's more to it than that. A good throw will knock the wind out of an opponent and create a guaranteed submission opportunity that you won't be able to take advantage of if you have to take top position first to secure the points.

For example, if I hit a solid throw I CAN drop into north/south, knee ride or side control, get the points, and then hunt for a sub from there... but it's actually better strategy for me to just fall backward into an arm bar attempt. This is because I can time my arm bar to coincide with my opponent hitting the mat, taking advantage of the fact that the impact prevents them from turning into me to escape.

That impact creates a significant strategic advantage that should be recognized in the scores because it works as an equal alternative to taking top position before subbing. But takedowns that just drag someone down and have no impact or positional advantage definitely shouldn't be worth points- they don't do anything!

E: It should be noted that similar impact can be generated through some sweeps, and should be recognized in those cases as well. For example, when someone hits an elevator arm bar they should be recognized in points both for the sweep (because of the impact) and for the arm bar attempt.

Ex2: Nevermind this just got way too complicated when I tried to work it out on paper, but suffice to say that impact has huge strategic advantage but is largely ignored because it's so difficult to score and evaluate.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 31, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Rule 3.4-
I) all throws will be rated on a 1-10 scale with the highest and lowest scores thrown out. The average of the remaining scores will be multiplied by a constant to determine the point availability for the remaining round time.
II)The Russian and Chinese judges will assign rank in blatantly nationalistic ways.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

Yes, to the extent that point scoring must be tolerated to avoid having matches until one guy collapses from exhaustion I think the best idea is to only have them be given for the very dominant positions that are generally agreed to be a good platform to submit someone from such as side control, north-south, mount, backmount etc.

Points for solely taking someone down is silly

Sorry, but this is just crap. The purpose of points is to, in the absence of a finish, give a reasonable idea of who the better grappler is, and being a better grappler includes the ability to take people down. If takedowns weren't so deemphasized in so many competition rulesets, maybe there'd be less grappling phenoms going into mma and getting their clocks cleaned.

Dante posted:

It also leaves open a way of gaming the rules to get points by continually taking someone down and disengaging.

Pretty much every ruleset specifically disallows disengaging under passivity/stalling rules.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

fatherdog posted:

If people would stop being pussies and just get in a man's guard when he lays down and beckons, maybe there'd be less grappling phenoms going into mma and getting their clocks cleaned.

Fixed for how I see the world

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the problem with Grappling phenoms in MMA is their striking is so loving rudimentary they don't realise keeping their chins tucked, their hands up and learning to jab would alievate 90% of the issues most of them seem to have.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I think the problem with Grappling phenoms in MMA is their striking is so loving rudimentary they don't realise keeping their chins tucked, their hands up and learning to jab would alievate 90% of the issues most of them seem to have.

Arona proved that with decent takedowns you can ignore all that crap.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Sorry, but this is just crap. The purpose of points is to, in the absence of a finish, give a reasonable idea of who the better grappler is, and being a better grappler includes the ability to take people down.
I don't think it gives a clear representation of who is the better grappler anymore than numerous other techniques which I don't think should be given points. The most objective representation is achieving the very dominant positions that are clearly disadvantageous for the other guy. They're also much more closely tied to getting a submission than some other action like takedowns, sweeps etc.

quote:

If takedowns weren't so deemphasized in so many competition rulesets, maybe there'd be less grappling phenoms going into mma and getting their clocks cleaned.
Maybe they would, they would also maybe be better at judo and if you could nopants strike they'd maybe do better at sambo I guess

quote:

Pretty much every ruleset specifically disallows disengaging under passivity/stalling rules.
Yeah and there's pretty much no way to objectively enforce those under such circumstances, if you take someone down (especially in nogi where disengaging is easier) then get yourself in a bit of trouble it would be fair for you to escape by standing out and backing off. Unfortunately this level of subjectivity for something that's hard to judge makes for a lot of unfair referee calls.

Generally I think a tremendous amount of effort should be taken (at least at the black belt level) to make sure it's submissions that determine the result and since points are inevitable you should make them as clear as possible to avoid players strategizing to grapple for solely points instead of getting points on their way to a submission.

Dante fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 1, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

I don't think it gives a clear representation of who is the better grappling

Yeah, and you're wrong. Part and parcel of being a good grappler is the ability to force a grappling scenario. If you aren't good at takedowns, you are a worse grappler than the guy who is.

There have been grappling sports going back to the dawn of recorded history, and literally every single one of them has put a premium on takedowns when it comes to scoring. There's a good reason for that.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, and you're wrong. Part and parcel of being a good grappler is the ability to force a grappling scenario. If you aren't good at takedowns, you are a worse grappler than the guy who is.

There have been grappling sports going back to the dawn of recorded history, and literally every single one of them has put a premium on takedowns when it comes to scoring. There's a good reason for that.
The ability to force a grappling scenario by tying someone up standing or taking someone down to the ground is irrelevant in a sport that is by definition a forced grappling scenario. I understand that a lot of people have a massive attachment to takedowns, but they're no more or less of an indicator of your grappling prowess than other grappling skills like being able to sweep your opponent all over the place from the ground. Maybe we could agree on a middle ground of not penalizing people who sit down and do their (nonpoint) sweeps from there instead of the people who prefer to remain standing in a battle of the takedown points?

In any case takedowns cause a lot of injuries and look a lot like other olympic sports so I guess they're next on the IBJJF hitlist.

Dante fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 1, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

The ability to force a grappling scenario by tying someone up standing or taking someone down to the ground is irrelevant in a sport that is by definition a forced grappling scenario. I understand that a lot of people have a massive attachment to takedowns, but they're no more or less of an indicator of your grappling prowess than other grappling skills like being able to sweep your opponent all over the place from the ground.

Which is why they get no more or less points than being able to sweep your opponent.

quote:

Maybe we could agree on a middle ground of not penalizing people who sit down and do their (nonpoint) sweeps from there instead of the people who prefer to remain standing in a battle of the takedown points?

I'm actually pretty happy with the FILA middle ground of allowing guard pulls as long as they're simultaneous with a submission attempt.

quote:

In any case takedowns cause a lot of injuries and look a lot like other olympic sports so I guess they're next on the IBJJF hitlist.

This honestly would not surprise me that much.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Can't wait for the new set of IBJJF rules where every competitor starts on their knees.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Which is why they get no more or less points than being able to sweep your opponent.
I agree with that, I just think the number should be zero for both because any potential route to victory that does not go by submission creates an unfortunate strategy of trying to win in that manner, and the more routes the higher that risk is. I think the ability to sustain a very clearly dominant position is the least problematic scoring, since they're closely connected to submissions while being clearly advantageous for one side (unlike say the 50/50).

quote:

I'm actually pretty happy with the FILA middle ground of allowing guard pulls as long as they're simultaneous with a submission attempt.
How does that work in practice because I can't really see how that works for anything but flying submissions or mock attempts at them to get a guard pull.

I don't see the problem at all in allowing people to scoot around in butterfly or go for DLR right away. If people feel more comfortable engaging on the bottom let them, it's already enough of a natural disadvantage being on the bottom.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Can't wait for the new set of IBJJF rules where every competitor starts on their knees.
Well you see library footage has revealed that this is the historical starting point and indeed continues to be cultural practice around the world so clearly this is the traditional and therefore sacred starting position. Not to mention beginners are unfamiliar with takedowns and hurt themselves often, clearly it must go. :argh:

Dante fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 1, 2012

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Don't the Olympics like excitement in their sports? Watching a dude abandon a position to attack the leg is one of the most exciting things in BJJ.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Grifter posted:

Don't the Olympics like excitement in their sports? Watching a dude abandon a position to attack the leg is one of the most exciting things in BJJ.
Most of the olympic sports are watching by literally no one other than athletes and boring as hell to watch.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I agree that that would be the likely outcome, but the IBJJF can lobby itself till it's blue in the face, the chance of BJJ becoming an Olympic sport is incredibly low, because the current tendency is cutting down on events
Just on a sidenote this is apparently not true, since the modern professional conception of the Olympics that number of sports and events has kept going up even though they've revolved sports. It dropped by two in 2009 briefly when baseball and softball were cut, but is up to the previous 28 again since rugby and golf was added for 2016. The current rumblings are that 28 might be the cap, but with one or more sport slots reserved for the host country to pick from the pool of recognized IOC sports.
It looks like Brazil is going for beach soccer for Rio 2016 :ughh:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

Just on a sidenote this is apparently not true, since the modern professional conception of the Olympics that number of sports and events has kept going up even though they've revolved sports. It dropped by two in 2009 briefly when baseball and softball were cut, but is up to the previous 28 again since rugby and golf was added for 2016. The current rumblings are that 28 might be the cap, but with one or more sport slots reserved for the host country to pick from the pool of recognized IOC sports.
It looks like Brazil is going for beach soccer for Rio 2016 :ughh:

They also cut the number of classes for wrestling not long ago and I believe there was talk of doing the same for Judo.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

They also cut the number of classes for wrestling not long ago and I believe there was talk of doing the same for Judo.
I'm sure this will be compensated for by adding another million swimming events the same person can win until his trophy will be a hula skirt of gold medals.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Fixed for how I see the world

here, have some new heros:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qpOWcgCxDw

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I don't understand how anyone can not think take-downs are important or show who is better. There is no better display of dominance then picking someone up and throwing them on their head.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

westcoaster posted:

I don't understand how anyone can not think take-downs are important or show who is better. There is no better display of dominance then picking someone up and throwing them on their head.
If you take someone down or sweep them and get an advantageous position, great you got to a good position you should get points for being in that position. If you take someone down or sweep them and you don't get anywhere that's pretty much identical to a guy sitting down on his rear end in front of you. It's pretty dominant when someone sweeps a dude all over the place or surfs/breakdances on someone in turtle, but I think it's conducive to better grappling to just give points for achieving dominant positions.

Anyway we've pretty much run that debate into the ground over the last few pages so I guess we can go back to talking about what a great matchup Rodolfo vs Roger is going to be

Dante fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 1, 2012

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Dante posted:

here, have some new heros:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qpOWcgCxDw

What do I do to earn my funky rainbow belt?!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The same school that gives out the camo ones

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Dr. Miracle posted:

What do I do to earn my funky rainbow belt?!
The yellow and green belt you mean? That's a separate belt used for competition he wears on top of his purple belt in the video. When two competitors are wearing the same colour gi one guy wears that belt so the referee can signal points/penalties clearly since the gi will cover up colored ankle tape like they use in nogi.

Dante fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 2, 2012

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Senor P. posted:

Do you mean reviews of various gis or which websites you can order stuff from?

This website has a number of reviews on various gis.

As for distribution companies...
http://www.freestylecustoms.net/
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/home.php
http://www.jiujitsuprogear.com/
http://www.brazilianfightwear.com/
http://www.mmawarehouse.com/
http://www.matrat.us/

Personally I prefer Judo gis as I can can a double weave for much cheaper.

**Edit
Some BJJ and Judo gis do not come with a belt. So make sure to get one if you need to.

I know this is a late reply but my Padilla & Sons Lightweight gi is really bulletproof, and a good buy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So I guess I haven't seen this before. A dogbar, apparently? http://www.graciemag.com/en/2012/02...nternational%29

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That's the sneaky kneebar from the top where you trap his leg with your own, right? I've seen it once or twice before. I think this video shows it a little more clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3bN3RdCgxE&t=120s

widunder
May 2, 2002
Yeah I've seen those a few times before, I've never been able to pull them off though.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Siamang posted:

I know this is a late reply but my Padilla & Sons Lightweight gi is really bulletproof, and a good buy.

I want in on the gi talk!

For judo gis I highly recommend Gillsports gi (Olympian Nicolas Gill's company). He makes Judo and BJJ gi. I can't comment on the BJJ gis quality since I have never seen one in person, but the judo competition gi (http://www.gillsports.ca/index.php/judogis/competition-judogi-white.html) are just ridiculously awesome.

First they aren't particularly expensive at 150$ for a competition judogi. The cut/lenght is really good (send him an e-mail with your height/weight to know which size to buy), but most importantly they are just so thick. From what I understand, they pretty much took all the regulations of the IJF and maxed everything to the edge of legality.

Every single person both in BJJ class and judo class has commented on how thick and hard to grip the judogi was. And from my experience, they are by far the most annoying gi to fight against. Mizuno, Adidas, white tiger, you name it, I've never seen a gi I hated more on an opponent than a Gillsport gi.

Cons are that they are heavy (obviously) and thus warm. I personally don't mind at all!

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Note that in addition to being much thicker (and therefore warmer and tire you out more quickly), judo gis are also on average much looser and not reinforced in the areas where BJJ gis tend to be (knees for example). I wouldn't recommend buying a judo gi for BJJ, even though the comp standards for gis are pretty lax in BJJ.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Dante posted:

Note that in addition to being much thicker (and therefore warmer and tire you out more quickly), judo gis are also on average much looser and not reinforced in the areas where BJJ gis tend to be (knees for example). I wouldn't recommend buying a judo gi for BJJ, even though the comp standards for gis are pretty lax in BJJ.

That's certainly true, except for the knee part. I don't know how reinforced bjj gis knees are, but all judogis I've seen have reeinforced knees. May be not to the same extent? I never took a good look at bjj guys pants. I'm not sure I've ever seen a difference in how tired I get when I wear my gill vs my cheap jukado ultra-thin-piece-of-poo poo-gi though. I sweat profusely with both and I don't feel like it really affects me. It's so much easier to break someone grip that it probably more than compensate.

There's probably some judo guys in here so that was more geared toward them, but for people who crosstrain BJJ and Judo like me I think gillsports gi are a great buy since you can use them in both sports (and comps).

But you are right, buying a judo gi for BJJ only probably isn't the best choice, but it works well for me when I go to BJJ class and the added thickness really comes in handy.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 2, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Bohemian Nights posted:

So I guess I haven't seen this before. A dogbar, apparently? http://www.graciemag.com/en/2012/02...nternational%29

They're possible from bottom half-guard as well but kinda tough to sink properly because there's so much room to twist and turn.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I used to train with a judogi in bjj. I found the top prefectly fine, kind of baggy but whatever. The pants, however, just aren't built for the kind of crazy leg movement you do in bjj. I found them very binding and they eventually tore in the crotch.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BJJ gi's usually have narrower sleeves than Judogi's, from my experience. Isn't the skirt bit at the bottom of a gi different for each style too?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

BJJ gi's usually have narrower sleeves than Judogi's, from my experience. Isn't the skirt bit at the bottom of a gi different for each style too?
Judo gis have a bit longer skirt, and BJJ gis are tighter in every way compared to Judo gis (your opponents will have so much more fabric to grap and wrap you up in if you do BJJ in a judo gi). Realistically IJF rules are a hell of a lot more stringent than IBJJF rules when it comes to the gi, so anything that's acceptable in judo should be okay for BJJ competition as well. The only thing you really need to worry about if you compete for BJJ is that it's an acceptable colour, that the sleeves and pants are long enough and the lapel is within regulations. These days pretty much anything a major brand sells in BJJ should be competition certified after shrinking with the exception of weird colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
The guy that introduced me to Judo gave me his spare double weave gi for free (lucky me huh) but it was a bit tattered so I thought I'd treat myself to a new one seeing as I hit a year training a few months ago. The single weave was only 55 and I thought I'm not exactly a competition player yet so I'll just buy a single weave, but I loving hate it. The coach measured me and chose my size but it feels too big. It just feels loose and... sloppy somehow. No matter how tight I tie my belt the gi top just always comes out but with my double weave gi if I tied the belt the right way the top would never come out. Waste of 50 bucks really. Might give it to the local charity store and just buy a double weave.