Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't know. He seems to have taken the criticism of The French Connections's horrid transfer to heart, because he oversaw The Exorcist's transfer which was fine.

I thought they kept him out of it for the transfer, letting the cinematographer handle everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

I thought they kept him out of it for the transfer, letting the cinematographer handle everything?

Sort of:

quote:

So in 2010, there was considerable anticipation - and trepidation - regarding the HD debut of this prestigious catalog title. Director William Friedkin had previously raised the ire of film fans worldwide when he tinkered with the look of The French Connection for its Blu-ray release, producing a revisionist transfer full of crushed blacks, artificially enhanced grain, and bleeding colors. The film's cinematographer, Owen Roizman, called the results "atrocious," and most reviewers and consumers agreed. So when it was announced that he would be supervising The Exorcist's transfer, as well, fans became wary. Luckily, Roizman, who was also the DP on The Exorcist, helped Friedkin to create the transfer for this release, so fears of ill-conceived retooling were ultimately unwarranted.

It's a shame that he had to ruin the bluray release of a classic movie before coming to the conclusion that hey, maybe I should get the person who shot the movie involved.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A reminder post.

Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection (Caliber 9/The Italian Connection/The Boss/Rulers of the City) comes out January 31st. The preorder at Amazon is only $23.99 ($6 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005MTHRDM

quote:

The inspiration for Quentin Tarantino s early films, Fernando Di Leo is the master of garish, intricately plotted, ultra-violent stories about pimps and petty gangsters who perfects the genre with an uncanny accuracy. For the first time digitally restored from the original 35mm negative and remastered in collaboration with the Venice Film Festival, 4 of Fernando Di Leo s masterpieces in one box set which includes: Caliber 9 (Milano Calibro 9, 1972), The Italian Connection (La Mala Ordina, 1972), The Boss (Il Boss, 1973), Rulers Of The City (Padroni della citta, 1976) Now available for the first time on Blu-Ray.

It looks like a great boxset if you are into those type of movies.

Review with a ton of screenshots: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?2139-Fernando-Di-Leo-Crime-Collection-The-(Blu-ray

Photos of the packaging from somebody who got it early.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

For those on the fence about Wings,
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wings-Blu-ray/33615/#Screenshots

I watched Wings before on VHS (because how else could I see it?), and then stuck the blu-ray in last night. It's not a great transfer, it's a goddamn revelation.

Also now I have to hunt down The Apartment somewhere...

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sheldrake posted:

Also now I have to hunt down The Apartment somewhere...
Done
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0065N6KO6/dvdbeavercom-20/ref=nosim

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Sporadic posted:

A reminder post.

Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection (Caliber 9/The Italian Connection/The Boss/Rulers of the City) comes out January 31st. The preorder at Amazon is only $23.99 ($6 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005MTHRDM

It looks like a great boxset if you are into those type of movies.

Review with a ton of screenshots: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?2139-Fernando-Di-Leo-Crime-Collection-The-(Blu-ray

Photos of the packaging from somebody who got it early.

For anyone like me that hasn't heard of these films outside of this thread, I just found these available on Netflix's instant queue.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Caliber 9 is such an awesome movie too. Worth $23 just for that movie alone. I just received a shipping notice from Amazon for that set. Might have to take off Wednesday from work so I can watch all these, and the Jean Rollin titles that came earlier this week.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey, I didn't notice this until now, but The Adventures of Mark Twain came out in the UK recently, and the blu-ray is region free. I saw this on Youtube a while ago, and it really is pretty great. I think I might just have to buy it.

Here's blu-ray.com's review.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Got around to watching the restored Wings and drat is it fantastic. By far my favorite silent film I've seen. The flying and war action is just amazing, especially considering it's all real. There's a bit of a dark twist towards the end that I wasn't expecting either.

Also, women from the twenties were hot--Clara Bow in particular!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I made my Panasonic BD65 multi region by buying firmware from Firmwareinfo.com - it was around €20 iirc and hasn't failed me on any discs I own (on the menu screen you type 2708 then the bluray and DVD regions you want set, hit OK and it reboots to that region). Definitely recommended.

I bought the UK tin of Tinker Tailor yesterday, really nice stuff. I think I read that Studio Canal is always region locked and the extras are definitely 50hz (not sure about intros or menus) but if you've got the hardware it might be worth an import as its probably a few months away from US soil I'd guess.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was there a thread that had links to custom blu ray covers or a tutorial that showed you how to make your own?

My forums searching fu is weak right now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thirst for Savings posted:

Was there a thread that had links to custom blu ray covers or a tutorial that showed you how to make your own?

My forums searching fu is weak right now.

I don't think there was one here but AVS has a big thread on that subject.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=765190

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Caliber 9 is such an awesome movie too. Worth $23 just for that movie alone. I just received a shipping notice from Amazon for that set. Might have to take off Wednesday from work so I can watch all these, and the Jean Rollin titles that came earlier this week.

I just got the set in the mail, and I never know what language to watch Italian films from that era in. Since I'm assuming all the sound is done in post-production, would English be fine?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone have the Herzog's Encounters in the Natural World box? Just curious what you think of the set and the quality of it. Getting close to pulling the trigger on it tonight as I love stuff like this and I could use more stuff along with my Human Planet and Planet Earth.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I just got the set in the mail, and I never know what language to watch Italian films from that era in. Since I'm assuming all the sound is done in post-production, would English be fine?

I always watch stuff like this in English. Watched Caliber 9 last night... looked about as good as it ever will. Plus, Barbara Bouchet is beyond beautiful in 1080p.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I've got a question regarding blu-rays and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to ask it "correctly", but I'm going to try anyways.

Relative to DVD, are we going to see fewer titles released in the Blu-Ray format as time goes on? I can see that there will always be a demand for physical media but with availability of many titles on both DVD and streaming services, will there be the need or demand to release them on Blu-Ray?

I'm asking specifically about a handful of horror and sci-fi titles that I love that while I'm not really expecting a hd restoration of them, it would be nice to eventually own them on Blu, especially as they go out of print on DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

foodfight posted:

I've got a question regarding blu-rays and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to ask it "correctly", but I'm going to try anyways.

Relative to DVD, are we going to see fewer titles released in the Blu-Ray format as time goes on? I can see that there will always be a demand for physical media but with availability of many titles on both DVD and streaming services, will there be the need or demand to release them on Blu-Ray?

I'm asking specifically about a handful of horror and sci-fi titles that I love that while I'm not really expecting a hd restoration of them, it would be nice to eventually own them on Blu, especially as they go out of print on DVD.

It's entirely possible. When DVD became the main video format they only ever released something like 25% of all the titles that had made it to VHS. If you're waiting on a bunch of obscure horror titles I'd recommend just getting the DVDs if they're that dear to you.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So the Five Below store near me has a ton of TMNT (the CGI film) Blu-Rays for $5. Hey, not bad, right? Except each and every copy has a giant gouge in the back. What the hell? I happen to stop at another Five Below a week later, and they also have TMNT - and sure enough, they all have gouges in the case as well. What the hell is this practice?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is the gouge on the UPC symbol?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-out_%28recording_industry%29

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 1, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pretty common for stuff that's marked not for resale. Usually there's a hole in the UPC.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
That makes sense - the gouge was over the UPC symbol on the back. But it was messily done, not done with a hole puncher or something.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there any word on when they're going to put Rear Window on Blu-ray?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Is there any word on when they're going to put Rear Window on Blu-ray?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the Hitchcock boxset coming later this year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

foodfight posted:

I think anything is possible at this point. It seems that studios are willing to release anything with an HD master regardless of quality. Costs are going down and more people are getting players.

There's so many surprising releases every month that I would just be prepared to go either way. Who would have thought we'd have a fully restored Manos: The Hands of Fate on Blu-Ray?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I think anything is possible at this point. It seems that studios are willing to release anything with an HD master regardless of quality. Costs are going down and more people are getting players.

There's so many surprising releases every month that I would just be prepared to go either way. Who would have thought we'd have a fully restored Manos: The Hands of Fate on Blu-Ray?

Yeah, as a sort of counterpoint to what I said earlier, there is a blu-ray release of Troll 2.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some price drops at Amazon.

$7.99

American History X/A History of Violence - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004NTDEXY
Evil Dead 2 (new edition) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005J9ZE5I
Good Will Hunting - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0055OTJQC
Cold Mountain - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0064MT1LM
Shakespeare In Love - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0064MT1U8
Amadeus: Director's Cut digibook - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001JNNE64

$9.49
Doctor Zhivago digibook - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001TOCCRU

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Egbert Souse posted:

I agree with what you say, but it's pretty much going to be of varying quality. For example, I would've be surprised if I saw a blu of "Chopping Mall" sometime, but ast the same time, I'm sure it would be the same old recycled VHS transfer that we were given on DVD. Some movies just won't ever get proper treatment.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Phantom Goat posted:

I agree with what you say, but it's pretty much going to be of varying quality. For example, I would've be surprised if I saw a blu of "Chopping Mall" sometime, but ast the same time, I'm sure it would be the same old recycled VHS transfer that we were given on DVD. Some movies just won't ever get proper treatment.

I would kill a man for a properly done blu-ray of Chopping Mall.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Some price drops at Amazon.

Evil Dead 2 (new edition) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005J9ZE5I

What's the consensus on the Evil Dead trilogy blu-rays? Anything I should be wary of with the version above, this Evil Dead , or the Army Of Darkness Screwhead Edition?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Braggo posted:

What's the consensus on the Evil Dead trilogy blu-rays? Anything I should be wary of with the version above, this Evil Dead , or the Army Of Darkness Screwhead Edition?

Evil Dead is absolutely phenominal. It has some of the best looking grain you'll ever see on blu-ray.

From what I've heard, though, the other two (including the new ED2) have pretty lazy/lovely transfers.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The Evil Dead Blu-Ray is fantastic, with a great transfer and both the original 4:3 and a cropped 1.85:1 version. Unfortunately the bonus disc is no longer included.

While it's not nearly as good as the first film's transfer, the new Evil Dead 2 disc (Lionsgate) disc is much, much improved over the first Blu-Ray and worth picking up. (Comparison here, be sure to zoom in to see the lovely artifacting on the old disc).

As for Army of Darkness, well it's not great. Better than the DVD, but it's pretty much the HD-DVD with additional sharpening and EE. Sometimes it looks okay. Sometimes it looks horrendous (check our screenshot 5). I'm holding on to my MGM R3 DVD.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 2, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I recently got a blu-ray drive, anyone know a relatively simple way to take screen captures? The functionality is disabled on the bundled software (PowerDVD)

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It's kind of a pain in the rear end. You'll find screenshot functionality is disabled on all software Blu-Ray players nowadays becuase of pressure by studios who have no idea of how movies are actually ripped. Apparently taking a screenshot of every single frame is a likely form of piracy. Just like all those analog rips that don't exist.

Your options are to either buy AnyDVD HD to remove the protection (thus allowing you to play the .M2TS files in VLC, Media Player Classic, etc.) or using MakeMKV which is free while in Beta (and has been for the past 2 years), to remove the protection & losslessly remux the Blu-Ray into an MKV and/or stream it, which will then allow you to screenshot it using your media player of choice.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 2, 2012

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks for the opinions on the Evil Dead Blu-Rays. I'm not actually one to notice a bad transfer unless it's really bad but that screenshot 5 from the Army of Darkness is horrible.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I remember seeing an article last year that Bad Boys 2 was supposed to come out at the end of the year, but it never happened. What could possibly be the deal with this movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just watched the Tree of Life BR. Oh lads. Gotta win Best Cinematography at the Oscars. Gotta.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Conversation dropped to $11.49 on Amazon. Amazing movie and the Blu-Ray does it justice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005FUTBZA

Ganon posted:

I remember seeing an article last year that Bad Boys 2 was supposed to come out at the end of the year, but it never happened. What could possibly be the deal with this movie.

A decent number of movies that were announced when the format first came out have fallen right off the face of the planet. Bad Boys 2 was in some of the first promo videos. Ishtar is another Sony movie that was suppose to get a release back during the early days which never appeared.

Lawrence Of Arabia was originally announced for 2007 but Sony scrapped it to do a full restoration (instead of releasing the inferior current HD version they had)

Team America and Lemony Snicket are movies that were in promo videos but never received a release (although that is Paramount)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 2, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So, watching Vertigo clips over again has made me realize there's no blu-ray and looking around no news of one :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

So, watching Vertigo clips over again has made me realize there's no blu-ray and looking around no news of one :(

Sporadic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the Hitchcock boxset coming later this year.

!

The most recent Universal's Hitchcock boxset (Essentials Collection) had Psycho/Rear Window/North By Northwest/Vertigo/The Birds

The Masterpiece Collection before that had Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Rope (1948), Rear Window (1954), The Trouble With Harry (1955), The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), Vertigo (1958), Psycho (1960), The Birds (1963), Marnie (1964), Torn Curtain (1966), Topaz (1969), Frenzy (1972), Family Plot (1976)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Stanley Kubrick box set containing Lolita, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut for 25 GBP?

gently caress yes.

e: The packaging is, apparently a bit worse than the US version, and the set doesn't contain Spartacus or Dr. Strangelove. FYI

Which works for me, because I already own Strangelove.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 3, 2012

• Locked thread