Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Heath posted:

Is there a specific reason for this? I've just started playing Hsien-Ko and I find her to be a lot of fun when I can get her incredibly wonky combos down.

She has bad mobility and low health so she's not usually recommended as a point character. She has one of the game's best assists but it requires a bit of setup and will get her quickly killed if you use it indiscriminately.

She is fun to use if you know what you're doing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Heath posted:

Is there a specific reason for this? I've just started playing Hsien-Ko and I find her to be a lot of fun when I can get her incredibly wonky combos down.

Her damage is kind of low for the amount of work you have to put in and her mobility is very poor outside of senpuu bu and even that is punishable.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

The Rokstar posted:

After watching today's Excellent Adventures I've decided I'm going back to my Ghost Rider/Sentinel/??? team as my main team. I'm thinking of running Arthur for maximum trollage but I may keep Doom in there for hidden missiles.

I've started running Ghost Rider(Heartless Spire)/Nova(Centurion Rush)/Doom(Plasma Beam).

Nova assist provides combo extension and the occasional unblockable setup. Doom's plasma provides the horizontal cover and lockdown that Ghost Rider needs and also some combo extension if you've got good timing. Plasma Beam is also great for Nova when Rider goes down. I've toyed with Hidden missiles assist because it's another great combo extender for Rider, but I think I need the quicker Plasma Beam. I'd probably use it if I was using Sentinel drone assist.

It's such a fun team to play, plus extended Ghost Rider combos get the people at my local scene hype despite how easy they are. I think it's because dedicated Riders are so rare. Even the few Ghost Riders on the streams, including Combofiend, aren't doing anything more than the basic bnb.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
According to Capcom's newly released financial statement, UMvC3 has sold 600k copies so far.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/feb/02/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-sold-600000-copies/

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

That should give them some incentive to patch the netcode a bit, right?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Double Bill posted:

That should give them some incentive to patch the netcode a bit, right?

Well on the other hand they're hemorrhaging money, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well on the other hand they're hemorrhaging money, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Actually, they are in profit and expect the yearly financial to be profitable (Last year Dead Rising 2 saved their rear end by doing 2.5 million at retail alone instead of the 1 million they expected and propelled them to profit) especially since they still have to release SF x Tekken and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City in the financial year. It's just so far they haven't made up the difference for their spend/return this year.

But considering it's only out 3 months and has two more releases to go (The NA/EU Vita Launch). Capcom's gotta be happy that the UMvC3 gamble payed off and people are still interested in it.

I'd reckon they are waiting for the Vita version to launch everywhere before making some significant changes though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Will the Vita run online on different servers than the PS3 version? It'd be a shame to split up the player-base even more.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Chocolate America posted:

3 good characters but no good assists when X-23 is on point. You need something like Akuma's tatsu assist or Sent drones or Doom plasma beam to cover horizontal space during your approach. Cold Star is a good assist for after you get a knockdown but if you're full screen what are you gonna do to get in?

X-23's biggest weakness is her predictable angles of approach so you need to cover her when she moves in and mix them up.

Also X-23's music owns.

You wouldn't really want Vulvarine on point though; he should put her in 2nd so he has meter for Dirt Nap and can rush that poo poo down.

He can bullshit it with Zero projectile assist or use X's mobility options (Mirage Feint and TK'd Talons cancelled with her j. d.H as ghetto airdashes) to open people up while calling Cold Star at close-mid screen. Use what MarlinPie does with Viper/Ammy as a guide only realize X pretty much doesn't threaten fullscreen at all (her command throw is slow as balls, nobody's going to eat a TK Talon unless they're asleep) so he has to go in.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Heath posted:

Hsien-Ko and Phoenix Wright are the only characters you can argue are straight up bad. Hsien-Ko can't zone, can't rushdown, isn't a great anchor, and in spite of staying airborne for a while her air control is very poor. She's basically a walking assist, and tends to die very easily even in gold armor because of how assist damage doesn't scale.

Phoenix Wright, meanwhile, is basically worthless outside of Objection Mode, and doesn't have a good, reliable way to gather evidence AND engage. His problem is that he has trouble keeping people out, which wouldn't be so bad, except he then has to go in (or be playing an idiot) to Object and go super. If he was at least passable at either thing it wouldn't be an issue, but as-is he's super bad outside of Objection and not good enough in Objection mode, so unlike the other Phoenix, setting up his 'win' condition doesn't make you likely to actually win.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
SpaceBees, you were not kidding when you said the Iron Man subforum on SRK is hot right now. A bunch of guys, especially DevilJin, have made some of the best posts about how to play a character I have ever seen. You can find similarly good info in other character forums but it's never as nicely organized and detailed as it is in the Iron Man forum.

If only every character subforum were like that.

I think I am gonna pick up Iron Man. My team has been in need of a beam assist for a long time. Plus, I play Sent and Iron Man has tremendous synergy with Drones. Repulsar blast stays on screen long enough to protect the drones assist call, allowing you to control a TON of space and gives Iron Man what he so desperately needs, a way in. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrX2lm3Xk8E&t=7m23s

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Transient People posted:

Hsien-Ko and Phoenix Wright are the only characters you can argue are straight up bad. Hsien-Ko can't zone, can't rushdown, isn't a great anchor, and in spite of staying airborne for a while her air control is very poor. She's basically a walking assist, and tends to die very easily even in gold armor because of how assist damage doesn't scale.

Phoenix Wright, meanwhile, is basically worthless outside of Objection Mode, and doesn't have a good, reliable way to gather evidence AND engage. His problem is that he has trouble keeping people out, which wouldn't be so bad, except he then has to go in (or be playing an idiot) to Object and go super. If he was at least passable at either thing it wouldn't be an issue, but as-is he's super bad outside of Objection and not good enough in Objection mode, so unlike the other Phoenix, setting up his 'win' condition doesn't make you likely to actually win.

I dunno, if you build a team around Wright you can have success with it (Poltergust won that weekly at ArcadeUFo with Wright/Hulk/Doom), and Hsien-Ko still has a top-tier assist.

I don't know what to say about Tron or She-Hulk though.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Transient People posted:

Good, Reliable Way to get evidence: A1 + A2, gather evidence while other character's supers fill up the screen. OR, use something like Trish's Round Harvest super, raw tag out, and get 2-3 good pieces of evidence for free

Good, Reliable Way to combo an objection: Any airthrow or ground throw into an OTG assist. I use deadpool.

Also, I would much rather deal with vanilla Jean than XF3 Objection Wright.

Good, Reliable Way to kill 3 characters with XF3 Objection Wright:

Do insane high/lows from basically full screen with the jumping finger and crouching finger. After either connects, transition into the relaunch Turnabout BnB for 100% damage.

Man, it's like you guys want to post something so bad you'll just start making poo poo up. Just because nobody's doing something on laggy-rear end online scrub play doesn't mean it's not viable, or "sucks", etc.

*gigantic :rolleyes: *

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I dunno, if you build a team around Wright you can have success with it (Poltergust won that weekly at ArcadeUFo with Wright/Hulk/Doom), and Hsien-Ko still has a top-tier assist.

She-Hulk I'm not willing to count out until I see for myself whether Combofiend made her work or not. Tron meanwhile is...weird. I swear I remember seeing good tech for her, but I can't remember where.

---

@Elephunk: The issue is, you have to earn those three meters, which means either you kept away like a pro while spamming bloom/beer/dark harmonizer, or you went ahead and just scored a combo, at which point you don't particularly need Wright because you're winning against your opponent normally, with a single assist tops. Oh, and you have to tag Wrighto in first, too, because if you earned two meters with him you're going to win EVO.

And as for comboing into Objection, you're asking for somebody to get close with Phoenix to throw. That's kind of where the issue is - Objecting is OK, but setting up the combo is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

During that Japanese UMvC3 tournament wasn't somebody making Tron look like a worthwhile point character? She-Hulk on the other hand :smith:. Actually I didn't get a chance to watch WNF last night did Combofiend make her look like a character again?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Me and another guy still wreck house with She-Hulk locally, the 2H nerf hurt but other then that she is still pretty much the same beast. I think she is still a strong character and people overreacted to her nerfs.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Thundercracker posted:

Will the Vita run online on different servers than the PS3 version? It'd be a shame to split up the player-base even more.

There's no cross system play. I would not be surprised if they introduced replay transfers with the PS3 version post launch, however.

It feels like they are holding back any major updates like balance changes/significant DLC till they have all the versions out on the market which would make it much easier to keep them all current and on the same version (especially since the PSV version is designed so you can practice on the go).

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Elephunk posted:

Good, Reliable Way to kill 3 characters with XF3 Objection Wright:

Do insane high/lows from basically full screen with the jumping finger and crouching finger. After either connects, transition into the relaunch Turnabout BnB for 100% damage.

Giant finger does not hit low. You can literally up/back whenever he enters turnabout mode.

Elephunk posted:

Man, it's like you guys want to post something so bad you'll just start making poo poo up. Just because nobody's doing something on laggy-rear end online scrub play doesn't mean it's not viable, or "sucks", etc.

He's really bad. Just like with every low tier character in umvc3 you can kill an enemy who doesn't know what your character can do (ie, the last tournament I was at I saw a Wright player hit people with overhead finger because they thought crouching finger hits low) but in the end all his gimmicks are worthless compared to the good characters.

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 2, 2012

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Dren posted:

SpaceBees, you were not kidding when you said the Iron Man subforum on SRK is hot right now. A bunch of guys, especially DevilJin, have made some of the best posts about how to play a character I have ever seen. You can find similarly good info in other character forums but it's never as nicely organized and detailed as it is in the Iron Man forum.

If only every character subforum were like that.

I think I am gonna pick up Iron Man. My team has been in need of a beam assist for a long time. Plus, I play Sent and Iron Man has tremendous synergy with Drones. Repulsar blast stays on screen long enough to protect the drones assist call, allowing you to control a TON of space and gives Iron Man what he so desperately needs, a way in. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrX2lm3Xk8E&t=7m23s

Its pretty great, and they are working on a master guide at some point since the information is pretty scattered among different threads. I'm FuLLBLeeD over on SRK btw, you may have seen some of my posts on that forum. I'm still pretty new with Iron Man but basically everything I know in terms of the character has come from that forum.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Watched some more of Bum's stream last night. I forgot that Chris' machine-gun assist actually has the same properties as Iron Man's unibeam [e.g. it holds someone in place instead of a knock-down]. I wonder which one is better though. Iron Man's hits higher and the beam seems instant, but Chris' gun seems to come out instantly. Probably the same durability.

It's a shame I can't find time to play, I'd love to get good with new Chris.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Watched some more of Bum's stream last night. I forgot that Chris' machine-gun assist actually has the same properties as Iron Man's unibeam [e.g. it holds someone in place instead of a knock-down]. I wonder which one is better though. Iron Man's hits higher and the beam seems instant, but Chris' gun seems to come out instantly. Probably the same durability.

It's a shame I can't find time to play, I'd love to get good with new Chris.

Chris and Iron Man are both similar and pretty different in their own ways. AFAICT Chris has much worse air control and of course, he can't take you for a ride from a halfscreen like Tony can, but he's got his own ways to stay safe (dat fire). It'd be interesting to do a breakdown of them in full. I get the feeling that they work best in rather different teams in the end.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Transient People posted:

Chris and Iron Man are both similar and pretty different in their own ways. AFAICT Chris has much worse air control and of course, he can't take you for a ride from a halfscreen like Tony can, but he's got his own ways to stay safe (dat fire). It'd be interesting to do a breakdown of them in full. I get the feeling that they work best in rather different teams in the end.

There's also the fact that Chris is a keepaway character and Iron Man is rushdown.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Niddhogg posted:

He's really bad. Just like with every low tier character in umvc3 you can kill an enemy who doesn't know what your character can do (ie, the last tournament I was at I saw a Wright player hit people with overhead finger because they thought crouching finger hits low) but in the end all his gimmicks are worthless compared to the good characters.

I got to witness one of the best Phoenix Wright players in the country last Saturday and even he admitted PW is basically one of the worst characters in the game. (The best Zero player in the country also admitted his character is blatantly broken)

On the other hand, he sent a shitload of good players to the losers bracket including Stone, who placed 9th at EVO last year.

...but the tournament was so poorly run that the match didn't even make it on stream.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The actual good gimmick with PW is Turnabout evidence spam, especially in XF3.

Chip them to death (or force them to pop XF and waste time) and then Level 3 if they do so much as blink at you.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Fereydun posted:

I got to witness one of the best Phoenix Wright players in the country last Saturday and even he admitted PW is basically one of the worst characters in the game. (The best Zero player in the country also admitted his character is blatantly broken)

On the other hand, he sent a shitload of good players to the losers bracket including Stone, who placed 9th at EVO last year.

...but the tournament was so poorly run that the match didn't even make it on stream.

Wait, was this the UMVC3 ranbat at arcade UFO a week or so back? I remember watching Stone play casuals for a long rear end time and that the winner of the ranbat was a PW user.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nah, it was at a tournament in Killeen where a lot of folks from around Texas showed up.

The Phoenix Wright player you're talking about is the same guy though (Poltergust).

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Jmcrofts posted:

There's also the fact that Chris is a keepaway character and Iron Man is rushdown.

Iron Man is a much more defensive/keepaway/midscreen control based character in this game though. Did anyone read what I posted? :(

edit: Well Chris is completely defensive and Iron Man can rush down, I'll give you that.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceBees posted:

Iron Man is a much more defensive/keepaway based character in this game though. Did anyone read what I posted? :(

I read it but I disagree.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Fereydun posted:

Nah, it was at a tournament in Killeen where a lot of folks from around Texas showed up.

The Phoenix Wright player you're talking about is the same guy though (Poltergust).

Ohhh okay, I had a friend go down there for that too, but he's primarily a blaz player.

It's a lot of fun playing at these things, but I played with Stone at a friend's house a year or so back and I'm pretty much lucky to kill a single character. Zero seriously is the absolute worst to fight against. A PW beating him is saying a lot.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ybrik posted:

During that Japanese UMvC3 tournament wasn't somebody making Tron look like a worthwhile point character? She-Hulk on the other hand :smith:. Actually I didn't get a chance to watch WNF last night did Combofiend make her look like a character again?

No, he had her out on stream once and promptly lost to this guy named Lawrence (I don't recall his team off the top of my head) and got sent to loser's bracket. From there on he used only Spencer/Nova/Hawkeye and just demolished everyone including almost beating Fanatiq at grand finals, going 3-0 the first set and then losing the second set 2-3. So in a sense She Hulk was responsible for him getting second and not first, since the first set against Fanatiq was pretty drat convincing; Fanatiq only really adjusted and came back during the second set.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Ybrik posted:

She-Hulk on the other hand :smith:. Actually I didn't get a chance to watch WNF last night did Combofiend make her look like a character again?

Nope. He didn't even run her on point. He played Magneto/She-Hulk/Sentinel and had to switch to his main team after losing a game in the 2nd round of pools.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

No, he had her out on stream once and promptly lost to this guy named Lawrence (I don't recall his team off the top of my head) and got sent to loser's bracket. From there on he used only Spencer/Nova/Hawkeye and just demolished everyone including almost beating Fanatiq at grand finals, going 3-0 the first set and then losing the second set 2-3. So in a sense She Hulk was responsible for him getting second and not first, since the first set against Fanatiq was pretty drat convincing; Fanatiq only really adjusted and came back during the second set.

So classic Fanatiq, really. He's pretty notorious for getting off to a slow start in big sets isn't he?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

The Rokstar posted:

So classic Fanatiq, really. He's pretty notorious for getting off to a slow start in big sets isn't he?

Yeah, he downloads his opponent pretty decently if he gets time.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Transient People posted:

Yeah, he downloads his opponent pretty decently if he gets time.
That's one of the reasons I think his exhibition against Clockwork at Bar Fights was really cool: he looked like he was going to crush Clock, but Clock downloaded him and won 4 straight to win. Every other time I've noticed a match go down like that with Fanatiq involved, it was the other way around.

One of my other favorite things about that match is how silent Justin Wong is as Clock's coach if you watch the Crosscounter video with the coach mics instead of the stream audio. I picture him sitting there gaping at the confirms and mixups like everybody else.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK6rCTeK-2w

Chris G vs Dieminion (again). This time Chris picks the hyphenated, anti-projectile spam team of Chun-li, X-23, and Hsien-ko. Each character has good aerial mobility, the ability to stay at super jump height for an excessive amount of time, or both. X-23 and Chun have level 1 supers with a ton of invincibility for plowing through projectiles. Hsien-ko has the trump card of gold armor, meaning she just doesn't have to care about projectile spam. Check out Hsien-ko vs Morrigan at 8:18. Also, earlier in the match Chris DHCs into Gold Armor with Hsien-ko so that Hsien-ko can eat a super from Viewtiful Joe and combo him out of it.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dren posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK6rCTeK-2w

Chris G vs Dieminion (again). This time Chris picks the hyphenated, anti-projectile spam team of Chun-li, X-23, and Hsien-ko. Each character has good aerial mobility, the ability to stay at super jump height for an excessive amount of time, or both. X-23 and Chun have level 1 supers with a ton of invincibility for plowing through projectiles. Hsien-ko has the trump card of gold armor, meaning she just doesn't have to care about projectile spam. Check out Hsien-ko vs Morrigan at 8:18. Also, earlier in the match Chris DHCs into Gold Armor with Hsien-ko so that Hsien-ko can eat a super from Viewtiful Joe and combo him out of it.

I'm actually more inclined to believe that ChrisG just picked a bunch of random low tier characters with no synergy because he has no respect for Dieminion at all. And won anyway, because ChrisG is really good at the game and Dieminion still doesn't have a copy and has probably never played against Hsien-ko before in his life.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Roguelike posted:

I'm actually more inclined to believe that ChrisG just picked a bunch of random low tier characters with no synergy because he has no respect for Dieminion at all. And won anyway, because ChrisG is really good at the game and Dieminion still doesn't have a copy and has probably never played against Hsien-ko before in his life.

He was practising with that team in the casuals beforehand. I don't think it was just a random select thing.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Nah, the best part of that video is at the end with the guy passed the gently caress out.

Everyone forgets just how hard Weapon X Prime blows through everything, not to mention the deceptive range. I was the Chicago area Thursday night gathering and caught a Dormammu player totally off guard when I ran right through his stalking flare and nabbed him full screen. He figured my super was going to die off before it reached.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Roguelike posted:

You're sleeping on that team (just like the dude in the background of the video). Chris did totally disrespect Dieminion by picking it but not because it's low tier. Chris's team had simple tools that totally blew Dieminion up. Chris barely even knew the X-23 and Chun combos. When he had Chun on point he was just jumping around doing lightning legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

AXE COP posted:

He was practising with that team in the casuals beforehand. I don't think it was just a random select thing.
I'm pretty sure I remember him saying in the interview after he won that he was literally trying to pick the lowest tier team he could think of with no synergy and that he picked Hsien-Ko to play her, not for the assist. When whoever was interviewing him started talking about the stream monsters theoryfighting about how those 3 were good against Dieminion's team he laughed and listed plenty of reasons why it's not.

I have no doubt he's played with that team before and it' not exactly a random select, but it's a 100% troll team. I think it's him reacting to the stream monsters trashing his Morrigan team, personally.

At 1:03:30ish here

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 6, 2012

• Locked thread