Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
All this talk about protecting your junk and tonight I get kneed hard in the rear end in a top hat.

I'm pretty sure this is what a hemorrhoid feels like. It's still sore and itchy as hell. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Calamine lotion?
Apparently: "useful to sooth and protect damaged or tender skin and for relief from the itching associated with insect bites and other skin irritations"

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Contrast sitz bath.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I think it might be story time. How the gently caress do you get kneed in the cornhole?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

You need a cup that fits better. I don't really notice mine, and it makes armbars a lot less stressful since I don't have to worry about crushing my nuts. I also occasionally tap people by stretching them out with a body triangle and pressing my cup into their spine, and it doesn't hurt me at all.

I would just get the biggest size they have. I've had smaller cups before that were incredibly uncomfortable, but the one I have now has plenty of room and I never have trouble with it.

I'd be keen to see what kind of cup you have. Can you describe how it sits? Where the edges contact your skin?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

You need a cup that fits better. I don't really notice mine, and it makes armbars a lot less stressful since I don't have to worry about crushing my nuts. I also occasionally tap people by stretching them out with a body triangle and pressing my cup into their spine, and it doesn't hurt me at all.

That's why I don't like cup most of the time. I've tapped people with the cup many times and it just feels cheap. Even a lovely triangle can lead to a tap because you smash the other person face with your carbon reinforced cup. Back mount? Just smash your cup in their spine! Arm bar? Here's a little platform that increase leverage by a poo poo ton.

If I was just doing BJJ then that would be fine, but since it's not allowed in judo competition I try to learn how to roll without one (except when we're drilling uchimata or some specific guard passes).

Anyway I highly recommend shock doctors cup. I have their hockey compression shorts that come with a pocket with a cup and I find them extremely comfortable. I'm planning on buying their grappling specific compression shorts with said pocket in the future.

\/ \/ choked on my piece of toast when I reached the Calamine + girlfriend + rear end in a top hat combo \/ \/

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 1, 2012

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Smegmatron posted:

I think it might be story time. How the gently caress do you get kneed in the cornhole?

meh, nothing spectacular. Pulled high guard on a new guy and he tried to smash through it. Enter knee on rear end in a top hat.

Feels kind of better after my morning poo poo. My girlfriend has some calamine lotion I'm up for trying that.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
never a cup; always a mouthguard.

Cups hinder your ability to execute proper submissions such as armbars/triangles, relying on cup instead of squeeze.

Ive never been tagged in the balls kickboxing. Just dont let it happen.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
The worst part about training so much is all the loving laundry. I fell asleep before taking my gi and clothes out of the washer last night and now they've got that disgusting musty smell. hopefully another wash with a bunch of baking soda will take care of it. any other tips for getting that smell out? this happens like once a month

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mindtwist posted:

The worst part about training so much is all the loving laundry. I fell asleep before taking my gi and clothes out of the washer last night and now they've got that disgusting musty smell. hopefully another wash with a bunch of baking soda will take care of it. any other tips for getting that smell out? this happens like once a month

white vinegar. Might need to wash it twice if the rinse mode of your washer suck.

Wouldn't put the vinegar and the baking soda at the same time though :v:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

KingColliwog posted:

That's why I don't like cup most of the time. I've tapped people with the cup many times and it just feels cheap.

Ditto for this. I haven't used a cup in the last two years, and the only times I've ever hurt my nads is when I apply an armbar the wrong way. If you squeeze your knees together like you should, there's no actual pressure on your crotch at all.
Instead of a cup I use the jockstrap that came with the cup to keep my equipment in place, and a pair of compression shorts over that again to tuck it all nicely together.
According to IBJJF rules (which accounts for all gi and (and recently) nogi tournaments in Norway), you're not allowed to wear a cup anyway, and I'd much rather not get used to tapping people out with a cup, or tapping out due to a lack of a cup, when the cup is unavailable in both competition and real life situations.

Kumo Jr. posted:

That being said, even beyond protecting my junk, at the very least it makes the experience of grappling much less gay. I'm not homophobic, but I prefer to grapple without my junk rubbing directly up on my opponent.

I give approximately 0% poo poo about this myself, and if other people feel that way, I might be willing to give about 5% consideration before I keep on not using a cup anyway.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mindtwist posted:

Two cups plus of vinegar in your wash will kill the mildew smell. Seems to work on everything but neoprene, but they sell special poo poo for that.

e: I use a steel cup. I've only grappled for a couple months now, but I've had enough knees to the groin in that short time to convince me it was a great investment.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 1, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
While we're semi on the subject, anyone have any tips for keeping my boxing gloves from getting nasty-over-time due to sweat, etc?

mewse
May 2, 2006

the stink develops when they're damp for extended periods of time and bacteria has a chance to grow. spraying them with rubbing alcohol seems to kill the bacteria. to prevent the smell in the first place, always let them dry out after using them, and you can also stuff a sock full of cedar chips (hamster bedding?) and jam them in there

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mewse posted:

always let them dry out after using them
This was kind of what I was wondering specifically...like if there are any pro-tips to drying them properly or if I just need to leave them sitting out or whatever.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Leaving them sitting out instead of rotting in a gym bag is probably a nice start, but other than rubbing alcohol, I've also taken to putting my gloves in the freezer overnight, and then just leaving them out for a few days after that. This usually takes care of any lingering smell.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Leaving them sitting out instead of rotting in a gym bag is probably a nice start, but other than rubbing alcohol, I've also taken to putting my gloves in the freezer overnight, and then just leaving them out for a few days after that. This usually takes care of any lingering smell.

Sounds like good advice, unfortunately if I try sticking my gloves in the freezer that's probably going to lead to domestic issues that would make stinky gloves the least of my worries. :downs:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kekekela posted:

This was kind of what I was wondering specifically...like if there are any pro-tips to drying them properly or if I just need to leave them sitting out or whatever.

i just leave my gym bag open like this with my gloves pulled open:

i have a dehumidifier in my apt so things dry fairly quickly

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'd be keen to see what kind of cup you have. Can you describe how it sits? Where the edges contact your skin?

The top is above my dick, bottom is below my balls, and the sides press in just beside my balls. It starts wide at the top and tapers down. I think it's a biking cup, because it looks a lot like this one (borderline :nws:) http://www.timberwoof.com/jockwoof/cups/bike.html

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

So I stopped by two of these places yesterday (the first place and the fourth) and I am going back to watch one of the classes at the first place tonight.

The 4th place is too much MMA focus. Their building is nice with lots in it but it with them it is "Pay $70 a month and just show up to whatever classes you want" and there isn't a real structure to it. Nor do they separate adults out into their own class.

The first place looks like it will be real awesome. It has a very structured schedule and very hands on instructors. I'm really excited to go back and observe tonight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
sounds good. ya if you're not interested in MMA I would say the pure bjj place is a better spot since they're focused on only that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Xguard86 posted:

sounds good. ya if you're not interested in MMA I would say the pure bjj place is a better spot since they're focused on only that.

When they say "We focus on grappling BJJ" what does that mean? What other kinds of BJJ are there?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Probably just means thats the type of grappling they do i.e. not greco roman, not american wrestling, etc.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BJJ is grappling, so they basically verbed the word "grappling"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mewse posted:

:words:

Out in Canada with the gym that UFC fighter guy. You'll love those guys, they are good poo poo.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 10, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

i sparred with keith katona last night. was beating him with range in the 1st round then he figured me out and started clocking me on the inside by the 3rd

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

When they say "We focus on grappling BJJ" what does that mean? What other kinds of BJJ are there?

Maybe they mean they focus on no-gi?

Because yeah, that's like same you focus on "Grappling wrestling" or "Grappling Judo"

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Maybe they mean BJJ for grappling competition, as opposed to BJJ for MMA competition? I dont know, it's weird way of stating things.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Maybe it's supposed to be Grappling/BJJ.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It probably means that they focus on regular BJJ, not MMA grappling. No strikes, etc

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Maybe the distinction comes from a resistance to use the term 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu'? Judo has a fairly insular community so I'm not terribly familiar, but isn't there a significant number of people who don't like to say that they do BJJ but rather that they are just a submission grappler?

i.e. guys who think doing gi is lame

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I've heard you can air out boxing gloves by sticking them on some traffic/soccer cones and air them out that way. Has anyone tried that?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mewse posted:

i sparred with keith katona last night. was beating him with range in the 1st round then he figured me out and started clocking me on the inside by the 3rd

Get him and his brother's signatures. They are going to be tiny punchmen murders. (Bwad especially).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Get him and his brother's signatures. They are going to be tiny punchmen murders. (Bwad especially).

yeah they're terrifying. curtis was telling me he can't wait to turn brad pro, once brad is done with boxing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
is it we do bjj grappling or we do bjj, grappling?

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

I helped my uncle, jack, off a horse.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Commas are the devils work.

So yesterday I had a great session, finally got a sub in on someone while rolling (a triangle of all things, we've never practised them I've only seen pictures) I guess it was more due to rolling with someone who had been doing it as long as me rather than people with more experience. However I woke up this morning with a weird pain on the inside side of my knee, it kinda hurts in a weird way only if I fully extend my leg, walking seems fine. Should I go to practice today or leave it till next Tuesday?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Antinumeric posted:

So yesterday I had a great session, finally got a sub in on someone while rolling (a triangle of all things, we've never practised them I've only seen pictures) I guess it was more due to rolling with someone who had been doing it as long as me rather than people with more experience. However I woke up this morning with a weird pain on the inside side of my knee, it kinda hurts in a weird way only if I fully extend my leg, walking seems fine. Should I go to practice today or leave it till next Tuesday?

Stretch it, warm it up well and go. You probably strained a hamstring a little trying to squeeze the triangle on.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Antinumeric posted:

Good to hear you got your first sub, but remember not to crank anything if you haven't been shown technique in class no matter how sure you are that its what you saw on youtube/UFC.

V V Did you kindly inform him of the origins of BJJ?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 3, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Yeah I ended up not going and instead got into an arguement with a friend of a friend who insisted BJJ wasn't a real martial art "because it's from Brazil"...

I got the triangle from the weird comedy of errors only novices can do, the instructor walked past just after I mucked up trying to get an armbar and just said "try doing a triangle" and watched me do it. I'd never have tried doing it otherwise.

As for my knee I'm not sure what caused it, it might have been the kneebar someone else did on me, I'll not wuss out next time and try to catch up this weekend. Thanks for the help guys :)

VVVVV it's my fourth week, I didn't like it, never seen one before.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm surprised someone is trying kneebars on you when it's your first week.

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 3, 2012

• Locked thread