Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Speaking of cool apps, I really don't regret picking up CallBar. It still lets me play games/read while not having to outwardly decline a call, or accept and switch back to my stuff. Plus, it looks almost iOS 5 native, so that's always a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xenomorph posted:

What are the best emulators on Cydia?

I see Snes9x EX, which is free. What about NES and GameBoy?

NES.emu and GBC.emu? They are by the same author, but cost $6 and $5.
I'd like to know if they are good before dropping the cash on them.

If you drop any flow on emulator apps, I feel bad for you son.

Gpsphone is still free and I've been playing Pokemon red like a pro ever since I JB my iPhone.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

t_bright posted:

Gpsphone is still free and I've been playing Pokemon red like a pro ever since I JB my iPhone.

Is there a way to prevent Gpsphone from shutting down everything when you press the home button and try to multitask? Whenever I move the app to the background and get back to it I have to load my save state again. Assuming I even bothered to save before closing to read that text or answer that call or whatever in which case all my progress would be lost.

I noticed a built-in autosave feature but that only saves every five minutes apparently which is still sort of a pain.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

t_bright posted:

If you drop any flow on emulator apps, I feel bad for you son.

You feel bad for me because I actually pay for software?

gpSPhone is $4.99 on Cydida as well. Let me guess, I should add hackulous or some poo poo and just download all my apps "for free", right?

I mean, gently caress those developers that spend time writing this stuff.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't been jailbroken since September when I sold my 4. Other than SBSettings, is there anything I'm missing out on for my 4S?

The ability to put as much stuff as you want into folders. That and SBS is all I use the jailbreak for.

Edit: oh yeah, occasional 3GUnrestrictor for FaceTime calls when not in a wifi zone.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Why does Siri hate me since installing AssitantExtensions? The functionality added to Siri works- I can say search funny cats on youtube, and it'll display the results in Siri.

But! If I ask for the forecast, or if I ask to set a reminder I get this:

What's weird is that it turned on Location services as if it's trying to complete the request but with zero results.

Uninstalling AssitantExtensions fixes it, of course, but I'd like to use it.

edit: Looking at Diagnostics and Usage data reveals about a dozen crashes from assistantd, which I assume is the Siri service. I'm going to uninstall AssistantExtensions for the time being..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

decypher fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 2, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

decypher posted:

Why does Siri hate me since installing AssitantExtensions? The functionality added to Siri works- I can say search funny cats on youtube, and it'll display the results in Siri.

But! If I ask for the forecast, or if I ask to set a reminder I get this:

What's weird is that it turned on Location services as if it's trying to complete the request but with zero results.

Uninstalling AssitantExtensions fixes it, of course, but I'd like to use it.

edit: Looking at Diagnostics and Usage data reveals about a dozen crashes from assistantd, which I assume is the Siri service. I'm going to uninstall AssistantExtensions for the time being..

Weird. I've not had any problems with AssistantExtensions. I assume you tried an uninstall/reinstall/reboot?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I jailbroke my iPhone 4S and installed Winterboard. Upon reboot, my Music app icon image had gone blank. Just that one app. It's a white square as if it can't find the icon. Has that happened to anyone else?

Edit: Oh weird, I just installed something else and my Music icon came back, but now my Calculator app is blank :D How fun.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 2, 2012

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Once again I'd like to big-up my favorite and most-used JB app, NoLockScreen.

On my iPhone 3GS I use Infinidock & FolderEnhancer to keep my icons out of the way and my home-screen becomes my info screen via LockInfo. It all comes together to strip and leave one less layer of UI.

Two questions:

1) Is there a JB or non-JB way to use a controller with an iPad (1 or 2), either via Bluetooth (PS Dual Shock 3) or USB (via camera kit)?

2) I love using Overboard as my home-screen on my iPad 2, but as far as I can tell it isn't possible to launch apps directly from the zoomed out view. Instead you are actually tapping an "invisible" folder, and from there you have to tap the app again to launch.

Is there any way I can get the "zoomed-out" mini-icon home-screen but still be able to launch apps with one tap?

Thanks.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

albedoa posted:

I jailbroke my iPhone 4S and installed Winterboard. Upon reboot, my Music app icon image had gone blank. Just that one app. It's a white square as if it can't find the icon. Has that happened to anyone else?

Edit: Oh weird, I just installed something else and my Music icon came back, but now my Calculator app is blank :D How fun.

It's a known problem. Respringing should fix it temporarily. If it happens again, just respring.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

albedoa posted:

It's the jailbreak. This is (unfortunately) normal behavior.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm assuming this is due to my jailbreak since nothing else had changed on my iPhone lately, but for some reason, apps will now sometimes play sound out of the iPhone's speakers even when the mute toggle switch on the side of the phone is set to silent/vibrate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Flicking the toggle off and on again doesn't fix it. The switch itself is fine though since the mute icon (the bell with the slash through it) appears and the phone vibrates.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 3, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm assuming this is due to my jailbreak since nothing else had changed on my iPhone lately, but for some reason, apps will now sometimes play sound out of the iPhone's speakers even when the mute toggle switch on the side of the phone is set to silent/vibrate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Flicking the toggle off and on again doesn't fix it. The switch itself is fine though since the mute icon (the bell with the slash through it) appears and the phone vibrates.

I know this is possibly too simple a solution but there ARE some apps that don't respect the mute toggle. Is it possible this is the situation?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Feenix posted:

I know this is possibly too simple a solution but there ARE some apps that don't respect the mute toggle. Is it possible this is the situation?
It could be, actually. The two apps I've noticed this on so far are Ghost Trick and AccelaStudy Essentials. In which case, those apps are dicks and I gotta find a tweak to let mute override them!

I don't think I'd ever actually come across an app before that doesn't respect mute.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Is there a way to add a BiteSMS Quick Compose button to the lockscreen, like you can do in Notification Center? I don't like using the 'Volume Button -> Tap HUD' method because I sometimes accidentally activate the Quick Compose window when I'm only trying to adjust the volume on something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bazaar apparatus posted:

Is there a way to add a BiteSMS Quick Compose button to the lockscreen, like you can do in Notification Center? I don't like using the 'Volume Button -> Tap HUD' method because I sometimes accidentally activate the Quick Compose window when I'm only trying to adjust the volume on something.

I have QC set to come up when I double-tap the status bar on the lock screen.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Hey guys, I purchased a jailbroken iPhone4 and when I brought it home and connected to my wifi, I saw that I couldn't open the Cydia app. What gives? How do I make sure that its jailbroken, or how do I jailbreak it again? The OS seems to be 5.0.1.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have QC set to come up when I double-tap the status bar on the lock screen.

You're talking about Activator, right? I may do that myself if I can't figure out this button thing.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

Hey guys, I purchased a jailbroken iPhone4 and when I brought it home and connected to my wifi, I saw that I couldn't open the Cydia app. What gives? How do I make sure that its jailbroken, or how do I jailbreak it again? The OS seems to be 5.0.1.

Any time you get a new device from someone - be it a smartphone, tablet, computer, or Xbox, you wipe/format it as soon as you can. You never know what kind of hosed up poo poo is on it.

For an iPhone 4, I believe the process is to restore to a fresh 5.0.1 install, jailbreak with redsn0w, then install the latest Corona.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Any time you get a new device from someone - be it a smartphone, tablet, computer, or Xbox, you wipe/format it as soon as you can. You never know what kind of hosed up poo poo is on it.

For an iPhone 4, I believe the process is to restore to a fresh 5.0.1 install, jailbreak with redsn0w, then install the latest Corona.

doesn't look like 04.11.08 is unlockable with ultrasn0w

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bazaar apparatus posted:

You're talking about Activator, right? I may do that myself if I can't figure out this button thing.

Yeah I did it through Activator. I never understood the logic behind linking it to the volume HUD.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Thank you Xenomorph. I'll have to spend some time with this, I think. I thought it would be easier because I got an already jailbroken device. Looks like it isn't. :(

mewse posted:

doesn't look like 04.11.08 is unlockable with ultrasn0w

My friend told me that you can flash a different baseband and then be able to unlock it, is that not true? I only bought the iPhone because I thought it could be unlocked.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

My friend told me that you can flash a different baseband and then be able to unlock it, is that not true? I only bought the iPhone because I thought it could be unlocked.

afaik you can't downgrade iphone 4 baseband, at all

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Thank you Xenomorph. I'll have to spend some time with this, I think. I thought it would be easier because I got an already jailbroken device. Looks like it isn't. :(

Your friend is wrong and you can't unlock it. Sorry.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

maduin posted:

Your friend is wrong and you can't unlock it. Sorry.

Wow that's pretty lovely. So what do .ipsw files do?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Wow that's pretty lovely. So what do .ipsw files do?

they're the firmware for the entire device. they contain a baseband firmware that people will strip out to preserve their old baseband

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

mewse posted:

they're the firmware for the entire device. they contain a baseband firmware that people will strip out to preserve their old baseband

Is it worth holding on to this iPhone in the hope that it'll be unlockable someday with the 04.11.08 baseband or should I go ahead and sell it off?

mewse
May 2, 2006

you'll be waiting a long time for an unlock. there are no murmurings of a new baseband exploit at the moment.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The only thing that I don't get is that all iOS 5 beta releases do allow you to downgrade the baseband. Is the general lack of baseband downgrading purely because Apple stop signing the old IPSWs that originally contained it?

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 3, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Roving Reporter posted:

Speaking of cool apps, I really don't regret picking up CallBar. It still lets me play games/read while not having to outwardly decline a call, or accept and switch back to my stuff. Plus, it looks almost iOS 5 native, so that's always a plus.

Callbar is great and I definitely recommend it. You can hit answer/decline then if you do answer bring up options (mute, bluetooth, etc) or go to the regular conversation bit. If you hit the volume button or lock button it just ignores it instead of dismissing it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Really struggling here integrating Lockinfo with the new notification system, I just can't seem to get the right mix. If I disable the Lockscreen notification in the Notification Center settings for a particular app, when I unlock the phone I am bombarded by status bar notifications. If I don't, then I get a double-notification sound and have to hit the home button to dismiss the iOS notification.

What configuration are you guys using, I'd think it would be obvious, but I'm being pretty dense here transitioning back to a JB device. At this point I am more frustrated with Lockinfo and may go back to not using that.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

mewse posted:

you'll be waiting a long time for an unlock. there are no murmurings of a new baseband exploit at the moment.

If I buy an iPhone that is sold as jailbroken and unlocked, would the unlocked part of it go away along with the jailbreak if I upgraded with a non-hacked .ipsw file?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mark Larson posted:

If I buy an iPhone that is sold as jailbroken and unlocked, would the unlocked part of it go away along with the jailbreak if I upgraded with a non-hacked .ipsw file?

Yes

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Really struggling here integrating Lockinfo with the new notification system, I just can't seem to get the right mix. If I disable the Lockscreen notification in the Notification Center settings for a particular app, when I unlock the phone I am bombarded by status bar notifications. If I don't, then I get a double-notification sound and have to hit the home button to dismiss the iOS notification.

What configuration are you guys using, I'd think it would be obvious, but I'm being pretty dense here transitioning back to a JB device. At this point I am more frustrated with Lockinfo and may go back to not using that.

I dont have a solution or a configuration that I didn't find totally obnoxious. I just have this problem too. :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is anyone having issues with wifi? At home I'll have wifi connect/disconnect constantly. I've reset network settings, rebooted the phone & router. I'm trying to narrow it down but I'm not sure where to begin since I haven't changed anything network wise in forever.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
Anyone else having problems with gmail push since jailbreaking? Push works fine on my iPhone 4, but nothing I try will make it work on my iPad 2. I've even deleted the accounts and started again, but it still only bothers to check for new mail when I open the mail app. It was working fine before I jailbroke it a couple of weeks ago!
:(

HNB: I was having wifi disconnect problems a few days ago on both phone and pad (was oddly not affecting The Good Lady's netbook), but changing the wifi channel on my router seems to have sorted that for me.

:edit: I gave up trying, then after an hour or so I thought I would send myself one last test email, which got pushed straight to my iPad like there was never a problem! What the gently caress?

:anotheredit: Stopped working again :(

m0isty fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 5, 2012

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Ive just been given my brothers 3GS to attempt to fix. It was jailbroke a year or so ago, 99% sure it's not been updated at all since then. It worked up this morning and the phone was off, turning it back on put the USB/Itunes screen up and nothing else.

He doesn't have a backup of anything, and from what I've gathered by reading around the OS might be corrupted.

I connected up to my macbook and Itunes says you must restore it bla bla. Opened tinyumbrella and tried to get it exit recovery mode from there, but now its just gone onto the apple logo screen and does pretty much nothing else.

Any ideas?

---

Alright so I hooked up greenpoison thinking I could could just jailbroke it back using that and restore but that didn't work (I'd saved what SHSH I could through tiny umbrella before trying that). So then I downloaded a .ipsw file for 4.3 and 4.2.1 but when I try to restore to them through itunes I get a "firmware file is not compatible" error message. So now I'm pretty stuck.

Midnight- fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 4, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Midnight- posted:

Ive just been given my brothers 3GS to attempt to fix. It was jailbroke a year or so ago, 99% sure it's not been updated at all since then. It worked up this morning and the phone was off, turning it back on put the USB/Itunes screen up and nothing else.

He doesn't have a backup of anything, and from what I've gathered by reading around the OS might be corrupted.

I connected up to my macbook and Itunes says you must restore it bla bla. Opened tinyumbrella and tried to get it exit recovery mode from there, but now its just gone onto the apple logo screen and does pretty much nothing else.

Any ideas?

---

Alright so I hooked up greenpoison thinking I could could just jailbroke it back using that and restore but that didn't work (I'd saved what SHSH I could through tiny umbrella before trying that). So then I downloaded a .ipsw file for 4.3 and 4.2.1 but when I try to restore to them through itunes I get a "firmware file is not compatible" error message. So now I'm pretty stuck.
DFU mode restore.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Can you update to 5.0.1 through iTunes if your phone is already jailbroken? I'm getting error -5000 when I try. There should be more instructions in the OP about going from jailbreak to jailbreak. I did this once a long time ago and don't really remember what to do, but I knew it was a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Can you update to 5.0.1 through iTunes if your phone is already jailbroken? I'm getting error -5000 when I try. There should be more instructions in the OP about going from jailbreak to jailbreak. I did this once a long time ago and don't really remember what to do, but I knew it was a hassle.

Backup everything, restore fresh, rejailbreak, download backup is what usually works best.

• Locked thread