Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Good news! I went to the Preferences -> Advanced tab and told it to use H:\Music and it imported a my songs! No duplicates! I did have to go through however and hand jam a lot of song information so it would put them under the appropriate albums, but this took me roughly an hour. Now my library displays all my albums, with album art, and all songs are correctly displayed under their correct albums.

However, I don't believe iTunes has copied all my music into its iTunes Media/Music folder. I believe this because when I go into H:\Music\iTunes, there is no Music folder. The only folders in the H:\Music\iTunes folder are 'Automatically add to iTunes' and 'Downloads.' If iTunes had successfully copied it, shouldn't there be a Music folder in there that has all my songs? It makes me wonder how it is that my Library lists all the songs and such.

I feel like I made some good progress, but the lack of a Music folder in my H:\Music\iTunes is concerning me. I'm also wondering about the ID3 information. When I selected the songs and right clicked them, went Get Info, and manually entered the track name, album name, and track number, did I just update iTunes database or did that information get written into the mp3 files themselves?

Thanks for the patience and help, I'm really trying to make this work because being able to buy any song I want is a great thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
What does it say in the 'iTunes Media folder location' box? What do you see when you navigate to that folder? Are both boxes underneath it checked?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Mooktastical posted:

What does it say in the 'iTunes Media folder location' box? What do you see when you navigate to that folder? Are both boxes underneath it checked?

I'm not in front of the computer right now, but I know both the Keep folders organized and the other box are checked. I'm afraid if I drag all the songs into the automatically add to itunes folder it will duplicate everything. Should there even be a Music folder in the H:\Music\iTunes folder?

I suppose if I'm able to have the songs listed in the library and I can move them onto my iPhone then it works well enough. I'd like it to work as it's supposed to though, it feels jerry rigged at the moment. If it ain't broke don't fix it?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2012

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Whatever the path in the box is is where your library will go. There will be a bunch of folders inside the iTunes Media folder, one of which will be called Music. Everything that's listed in your library will be located there. An easy way to check would be to right click and click the 'Show in Windows Explorer' button, and see if that sends you to the iTunes folder or not.

As far as the necessity of having your library organized, it's really up to you. I do it just so I can delete the 'dirty' tracks once I've had TuneUp do its thing to them, while I still have the originals left over, in case it tries to label them something they're not.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Find where you want the media to go in the Preferences, and then in the File menu (I think under the Library option) there should be a "Consolidate Library" or "Clean Up Library". I'm not at my computer, so I can't check the exact option, but it will move everything in the iTunes library into that folder.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IUG posted:

Find where you want the media to go in the Preferences, and then in the File menu (I think under the Library option) there should be a "Consolidate Library" or "Clean Up Library". I'm not at my computer, so I can't check the exact option, but it will move everything in the iTunes library into that folder.

That sounds handy. For example, if I had music in my Library from two different sources like an external HDD and some files on my main HDD, but using the consolodate libarary feature iTunes moves everything in the Library to that one folder, correct?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Packard Goose posted:

That sounds handy. For example, if I had music in my Library from two different sources like an external HDD and some files on my main HDD, but using the consolodate libarary feature iTunes moves everything in the Library to that one folder, correct?

Yes, but keep in mind that it ignores the old location once you change and consolidate. You get duplicates though, not just a move. But it sounds like you would want that, rather than risk losing music. Plus, it's a way to prune out the music you deleted out of the library, but kept the files in the media folder for whatever reason. As those files won't get copied to the new location, just what's in iTunes.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IUG posted:

Yes, but keep in mind that it ignores the old location once you change and consolidate. You get duplicates though, not just a move. But it sounds like you would want that, rather than risk losing music. Plus, it's a way to prune out the music you deleted out of the library, but kept the files in the media folder for whatever reason. As those files won't get copied to the new location, just what's in iTunes.

I'd rather not deal with 889 duplicates, and it would just copy the music from H:\Music into H:\Music\iTunes\Music which seems a little silly.

Couldn't I just sign up for iCloud and store all my poo poo wirelessly to some offsite server Apple maintains? That seems worth it if anyone takes their tunes seriously and doesn't want to lose 8+ years of music.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 2, 2012

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Armitage posted:

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get this to work properly, or if there are alternates to itunes.

I played a bunch of songs since the last time I synced. Only one song updated it's play count and last played this time. At least it didn't double play counts.

I don't know what to do. If it helps, I have Windows 7, and don't have iTunes Match. I've tried to look online for information but it doesn't seem like there's any real information on this despite a lot of people talking about it.

I've recently switched back to iTunes from Spotify and I'm wondering about the playcount thing too. If I listen to a song on my Desktop, then switch to using my iPhone on my way to work, then listen to iTunes on my work computer, are all these plays synced to the cloud?

I'm a recovering android/spotify user, sorry if this is a dumb question.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Packard Goose posted:

I'd rather not deal with 889 duplicates, and it would just copy the music from H:\Music into H:\Music\iTunes\Music which seems a little silly.

It's that every time you move your library, or you risk losing songs. I'd rather have duplicates in separate locations that I have to select the folder and delete, than possibly lose an album or two.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hey, quote isn't edit...

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've recently switched back to iTunes from Spotify and I'm wondering about the playcount thing too. If I listen to a song on my Desktop, then switch to using my iPhone on my way to work, then listen to iTunes on my work computer, are all these plays synced to the cloud?

I'm a recovering android/spotify user, sorry if this is a dumb question.

I don't use Spotify, but if I listen to a song on my iPod or iPhone while at work/away, it updates the same song in my library with the play count and time. But I play from the Music app on the phone, and of course only the music that's on the iPod.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry, if it wasn't clear I'm done using spotify, I only referred to it because that's what I was using before. The question is an iTunes question, not a spotify vs iTunes question. My bad.

e: So it sounds like play counts *do* sync from iOS devices, but will they sync across PCs? With or without iTunes Match?

moon demon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 2, 2012

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IUG posted:

It's that every time you move your library, or you risk losing songs. I'd rather have duplicates in separate locations that I have to select the folder and delete, than possibly lose an album or two.

Do you mean duplicates on my computer or duplicates displayed in my itunes library? I can tolerate duplicates on my computer in two different locations (such as H:\Music and in H:\Music\itunes\Media etc) As long as I don't have to see them my OCD anal-retentive retardery won't sperg out.

Also, how would iCloud work with a iPod Classic that doesn't have wireless capability? Would I just interface with iCloud via iTunes? Buying music through iTunes and uploading it to iCloud for a back up, then just moving the songs I buy onto my iPod as I usually would?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Sorry, if it wasn't clear I'm done using spotify, I only referred to it because that's what I was using before. The question is an iTunes question, not a spotify vs iTunes question. My bad.

e: So it sounds like play counts *do* sync from iOS devices, but will they sync across PCs? With or without iTunes Match?

If you're not using iTunes Match, play counts should sync just fine between your iOS devices, and the iTunes library they're synced to. With iTunes Match they should theoretically sync across multiple PCs and iOS devices, but that's been spotty at best. Hopefully it'll get fixed up in future software updates.

Packard Goose posted:

Do you mean duplicates on my computer or duplicates displayed in my itunes library? I can tolerate duplicates on my computer in two different locations (such as H:\Music and in H:\Music\itunes\Media etc) As long as I don't have to see them my OCD anal-retentive retardery won't sperg out.

Duplicate files on your computer. Not duplicate library entries.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Diabolik900 posted:

If you're not using iTunes Match, play counts should sync just fine between your iOS devices, and the iTunes library they're synced to. With iTunes Match they should theoretically sync across multiple PCs and iOS devices, but that's been spotty at best. Hopefully it'll get fixed up in future software updates.

Ok cool, thanks. I'm new to Apple's style with stuff like this, but will they make it pretty public when they fix iTunes Match? Or will I just have to lurk these forums and places like The Verge for iTunes update info?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Diabolik900 posted:

Duplicate files on your computer. Not duplicate library entries.

I can deal with that.

Now, what about iMatch/Cloud? iMatch seems to be able to do what I'd like by storing all my poo poo on some harddrive somewhere. This is ideal sounding because then I'd only ever have to store music on my computer for iTunes, and it would be backed up offsite in case my computer shits itself, correct?

Second, would I be able to do this with an iPod Classic? I would buy songs on my computer using iTunes, have it backedup to my iCloud, then just move the music onto my iPod.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I don't know if this is an itunes issue, ios issue, jailbreak issue, or what, beyond that it first started immediately after I jumped from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 on my Touch 4. I also had to upgrade itunes from whatever I had to the current version to get it to install 5.0.1 at all, so it may be that.

Itunes will not back up my ipod at all, which prevents me from syncing anything. It either sits forever on the 'backing up' portion of the sync and I have to kill the itunes process to get it to quit, or throws an error about 'could not save the backup to disk' and nothing gets synced. I have plenty of disk space, so it's not that. Google gives me a bunch of threads with people wailing about the issue but no real solutions.

Any ideas?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Packard Goose posted:

Second, would I be able to do this with an iPod Classic? I would buy songs on my computer using iTunes, have it backedup to my iCloud, then just move the music onto my iPod.

No. Why are you stuck on using a classic? Your collection's size and bitrate selection don't necessitate one.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Lana Del Gay posted:

No. Why are you stuck on using a classic? Your collection's size and bitrate selection don't necessitate one.

It will eventually. The redisgined nano is stupid and I don't need a drat Touch because I don't want to spend 200 dollars on an iPhone that doesn't make calls with anemic storage capacity.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Packard Goose posted:

It will eventually. The redisgined nano is stupid and I don't need a drat Touch because I don't want to spend 200 dollars on an iPhone that doesn't make calls with anemic storage capacity.

64 gigs is hardly anemic. Around 14,000 songs at 128 bit AAC. Whatever device you buy now will be either obsolete, lost, broken, or all three by the time you get to that number.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Lana Del Gay posted:

64 gigs is hardly anemic. Around 14,000 songs at 128 bit AAC. Whatever device you buy now will be either obsolete, lost, broken, or all three by the time you get to that number.

$400 for 64GB vs. $250 for 160GB. It's pretty easy to see why someone would prefer that deal. I don't need to be connected to the internet 24/7 via my idevices.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Packard Goose posted:

I don't need to be connected to the internet 24/7 via my idevices.

This is what everyone says until they get a device that is connected to the Internet 24/7.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have an iPhone 64gig and a Classic because:

1. The iPhone can't hold my music collection in it's entirety.
2. I like to keep my phone on me, and I have an iPod speaker dock at my work desk.

I wouldn't want a nano either because I already have the phone. And the Touch isn't 24/7 as soon as you leave your wifi's range. However, I probably bought the last model of Classic that Apple is going to make, which makes me doubt we'll ever see FLAC supported by Apple.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IUG posted:

I have an iPhone 64gig and a Classic because:

1. The iPhone can't hold my music collection in it's entirety.
2. I like to keep my phone on me, and I have an iPod speaker dock at my work desk.

I wouldn't want a nano either because I already have the phone. And the Touch isn't 24/7 as soon as you leave your wifi's range. However, I probably bought the last model of Classic that Apple is going to make, which makes me doubt we'll ever see FLAC supported by Apple.

I don't think iPhones came in 64gig when I got mine :(

You guys will really like (or not. Probably not) enjoy what happens later when I attempt to consolodate all my music into a iTunes media folder. I'm going to move the poo poo from my external HDD to my netbook and just back up my iTunes library to the external HDD like a normal person.

I'm also going to attempt to convert the whole library to the 128kbps AAC format at the same time. Wish me luck.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We've told you many times how to move your library around, but you're just not listening at this point.

Pick a new directory in the settings.
Pick the consolidate your library option and iTunes moves it for you.

It' simple, it's not some saga for you to tell in the future. It's in the OP.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IUG posted:

We've told you many times how to move your library around, but you're just not listening at this point.

Pick a new directory in the settings.
Pick the consolidate your library option and iTunes moves it for you.

It' simple, it's not some saga for you to tell in the future. It's in the OP.

Actually it isn't. The word 'Windows' appears once on the entire first page, and the instructions and images are all for Mac users.

Come on, had it been there as obviously as the Mac instructions I wouldn't have posted all this retarded garbage for the last two pages.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Packard Goose posted:

Actually it isn't. The word 'Windows' appears once on the entire first page, and the instructions and images are all for Mac users.

Come on, had it been there as obviously as the Mac instructions I wouldn't have posted all this retarded garbage for the last two pages.

I used iTunes on my Windows PC for a few years in-between Apple laptops, and it was just as easy to use on Windows as it has been on my Macs. The images in the OP are pretty much exactly what it looks like on Windows, as well.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

GobiasIndustries posted:

I used iTunes on my Windows PC for a few years in-between Apple laptops, and it was just as easy to use on Windows as it has been on my Macs. The images in the OP are pretty much exactly what it looks like on Windows, as well.

I think I got it now. Can't wait to do it all again on my new PC when I get home!

I'll be a loving iTunes wizard.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Ok cool, thanks. I'm new to Apple's style with stuff like this, but will they make it pretty public when they fix iTunes Match? Or will I just have to lurk these forums and places like The Verge for iTunes update info?

There's probably an 85% chance that the patch notes if/when this gets fixed will read:

quote:

iTunes 10.5.4

Changes in this version:

- bug fixes.

There's also a question of what the right behavior should be; having playcounts be specific to a given machine isn't an automatically wrong approach. I'd prefer them to be in sync, but I could see a case where you have multiple people in a family sharing an iTunes account where this might not be desirable.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I have never in all my life hated an Apple product more than I hate iTunes Match. Nearly a week and I still haven't got it to upload half my songs. It always stalls somewhere around the 50th song and just dies.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay I'm kind of at a loving loss here. A couple weeks ago I did a full restore from iCloud on an iPhone 4. Things seemed normal but I realized I was missing all my purchased music from the iTunes Store. Here's where it gets odd - I can manually re-download purchased content on the phone... but I can't get all of it to sync from iTunes. iTunes seems to now only be syncing content that came from my own MP3 collection. I've tried changing iTunes to only syncing selected tracks and choosing a single purchased album. The sync kicks off, but nothing actually makes it to the device.

Anyone see this before?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Did your computer get deauthorized somehow? Try playing one of the tracks and/or do the "reset all warnings" thing in iTunes and sync again to find out...

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I tried that. The music plays fine on the PC - it's like the PC iTunes doesn't recognize that the phone is authorized.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Actually poo poo, maybe I'll try wiping it again but setting it up as a new device instead of restoring from iCloud. Didn't need those text messages anyways!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

Actually poo poo, maybe I'll try wiping it again but setting it up as a new device instead of restoring from iCloud. Didn't need those text messages anyways!

You can run a manual backup on iTunes, start fresh then transfer your text messages from the old backup a new one. Then backup with iCloud and you're good to go.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Reposting this because I've spent the morning trying to unfuck it.

Javid posted:

I don't know if this is an itunes issue, ios issue, jailbreak issue, or what, beyond that it first started immediately after I jumped from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 on my Touch 4. I also had to upgrade itunes from whatever I had to the current version to get it to install 5.0.1 at all, so it may be that.

Itunes will not back up my ipod at all, which prevents me from syncing anything. It either sits forever on the 'backing up' portion of the sync and I have to kill the itunes process to get it to quit, or throws an error about 'could not save the backup to disk' and nothing gets synced. I have plenty of disk space, so it's not that. Google gives me a bunch of threads with people wailing about the issue but no real solutions.

Any ideas?

Removed/reinstalled itunes, still does it. Removed, deleted the app data folder, reinstalled, STILL does it. I can't flatten the ipod and restore it because, hey, I can't back it up. :| Gonna try a different cable just for shits, but I doubt that's it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have you tried using iCloud for the backup, then restoring to that and then attempt a manual backup on iTunes?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can run a manual backup on iTunes, start fresh then transfer your text messages from the old backup a new one. Then backup with iCloud and you're good to go.
How can I restore just messages?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I've done some research into this but I was hoping someone could tell me from experience: does iCloud backup save all of your app data?

edit: Sorry, this may be more of an iPhone question than an iTunes question. The reason I posted it in here is because I'm assuming iTunes and iCloud are closely related. I am new to i-things.

moon demon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've done some research into this but I was hoping someone could tell me from experience: does iCloud backup save all of your app data?

edit: Sorry, this may be more of an iPhone question than an iTunes question. The reason I posted it in here is because I'm assuming iTunes and iCloud are closely related. I am new to i-things.
Yes.