Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
h_double, I've only seen one film on your list and it is 400 Blows!

Three Colors: Blue is a film that touches so deeply upon depression and brings it to this realistic almost tangible level that no other movie surpasses it in. The sense of loss and then compromise happens in such an indescribably human way, there's nothing to appease us only the bitter truth of life. Kieslowski works in these subtle details that register almost subconsciously, the whole movie lightly touching upon some deeper aspect and theme that I feel more than I can intelligently describe right now. Excellent film.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp: I adore Powell and Pressburger but I've only seen two of their films.

2.Fanny and Alexander: Seen a lot of Bergman but somehow missed this one.

3.*NEW*Three Colors: White: Continuing the trilogy

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Memories of a Murder: South Korea's almost always a hit.

6.Mean Streets The last big Scorsese I haven't seen.

7.The Filth and Fury: Documentary about the Sex Pistols, why not?

8.The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Y Tu Mama Tambien: Children of Men is awesome, time to finish off Alfonso Cuaron's films

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, Three Colors: Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Desiato posted:

6.Mean Streets The last big Scorsese I haven't seen.

It's rough around the edges, but quite enjoyable.

I wished I liked Letter from an Unknown Woman more, it was good but it was missing something. Which is a shame cause Max Ophüls directing is fantastic and Joan Fontaine is also pretty great, but I just didn't care all that much for the whole affair. It reminded me of Brief Encounter, a film I can see why it's great and why people like it but just leaves me cold. Though out of the two, I liked this one better.

SHAME:

Richard III Long Live King McKellen!

L'Âge d'or Not really knowing where to start with Luis Buñuel, I'll go from the beginning.(I watched Un Chien Andalou)

The Dead The last film John Huston made.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Keeping up with the physical comedy hour.

The Apu Trilogy Might as well start Satyajit Ray with these three.

Shame SHAME! (The Ingmar Begman one)

Samurai Rebellion Want to watch more Kobayashi before getting around to The Human Condition.

Cobra Verde More Kinski+Herzog insanity.

Dersu Uzala Kurosawa goes Soviet.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America Road trip!

Have watched so far 58 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Shame SHAME! (The Ingmar Begman one)

I hear this one is supposed to be really good. Enjoy!

Finished My Neighbor Totoro earlier this evening. I liked Spirited Away a lot better, but then Totoro seemed more aimed at children and Spirited Away at adults. It was a cute movie, very freaky at times though. Didn't really seem to have a plot. I guess I was just expecting something more. Cute movie though!

My updated list:

1. Philadelphia Story - Another movie I have no idea about, but it keeps getting recommended in this thread.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. The Crying Game. I know the twist about this movie, but I'm hoping that doesn't make it not worth watching.

5. Platoon. I get the feeling this is a wannabee Apocalypse Now. I hope it stands on it's own.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. La Dolce Vita. Have no idea what this is about at all. I'm not even very sure of who directs it. I hope it's good.

8. Unforgiven My dad took me to see this when it came out in theaters, but I was too young to care about Westerns, much less understand what the hell was going on.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. The Lives of Others. This looked interesting when I saw the previews when it first came out, but I've never gotten around to seeing it. I hope it really is as good as others make it out to be.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink; Sunset Boulevard; The Gold Rush; The Deer Hunter; My Neighbor Totoro

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Finished My Neighbor Totoro earlier this evening. I liked Spirited Away a lot better, but then Totoro seemed more aimed at children and Spirited Away at adults. It was a cute movie, very freaky at times though. Didn't really seem to have a plot. I guess I was just expecting something more. Cute movie though!
I agree with you, I couldn't find anything that really jumped out at me like Mononoke or Spirited Away. I really expected to like it, considering the merchandise for it is everywhere. But I have watched Ponyo like 5 times, so I use that to prove that I'm not a bitter and curmudgeonly critic.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Bodnoirbabe, I recently watched The Crying Game and enjoyed it more than I was expecting (the "twist" is not as important as its made out to be).

Well, Titanic was certainly a thing. The sinking scenes were entertaining, with good effects, but the main romantic thrust was boring. I don't dislike romances, but to make them believable you need some stellar acting (Before Sunset, Brief Encounter). DiCaprio did not hold up his half of the pair here. I'm glad to see he's come a long way since this, but I could hardly look at him here without being annoyed. Also, how could anyone involved in the making of this think that it was a good idea to have Fabrizio talk like that? 3/5

Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Another recent Palme d'Or winner.
Cabaret
On the most iCM lists. Also next on the AFI list. ehh.
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.
Cookie's Fortune
Another hidden Altman gem?
A Taste of Cherry
Just saw Certified Copy, want to check out more Kiarostami.
Raise The Red Lantern
I haven't seen too much Chinese cinema.
The Mirror
Next on TSPDT. I'm going to love one of these Tarkovskys eventually!
Underground
I know nothing about this at all, but for some reason I really want to see it.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5, The Conformist 3.5/5, West Side Story 2.5/5, Titanic 3/5

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

A Taste of Cherry
Just saw Certified Copy, want to check out more Kiarostami.

Haven't seen any of your 10. Luckily I have a decahedron die for these occasions.

Shadow of a Doubt - This was Hitchcock's favorite as well as many others. I wouldn't place it near the top of his list however. I recognized a lot of the actors from other films. I think my favorite scene was in the library. Definitely the most exciting newspaper scrolling across the screen that I've seen.

I've noticed a very common film dynamic for this time period is to have an evil guy and a good guy between a girl. Of course that's very common but it seems even more transparent in this time period of film.

I should stop reading Netflix sleeves before watching films because it spoils a little.

others watched:

Terms of Endearment - The way this started I thought it might be a lighthearted Mommie Dearest. I didn't know where the story was going to end up and it could've gone on many different tangents. The cast features a lot of well-knowns. I did have trouble with the motivations of the characters and it felt like an amalgam of many other films I've seen before. The ending was kind of sad however.

I had trouble swallowing the astronaut characterization as well. Would Breedlove really be that undisciplined and have that insane of a temperament? Didn't seem to fit the profile.

Driving Miss Daisy - This wasn't bad but for the subject matter it kept introducing it didn't seem substantive at all. It kept breezily and glossily flying over every subject. And then Miss Daisy gets dementia.

I thought I'd seen the Florine (Patti Lupone) character elsewhere and looked her up and remembered running across this on youtube a while ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVsD0rltRr8 Now that's a catchy ditty.

Also, did Dan Akroyd gain weight for this role or was he wearing pillows in his pants?

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#237 Harakiri - This must've shot up the list recently. 1/6/12

#247 3 Idiots - Read some reviews but that's all. 1/17/12

#256 Before Sunrise - Relatively recent and I haven't even heard of it. 12/29/11

new #264 Duck Soup - I haven't seen a Marx brothers film. Another one of those SHAMEFUL oversights. 2/1/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

2002 Chicago - I can't say I'm looking forward to this. 11/27/11

1997 Titanic - Cameron is truly a visionary (in all the good ways) and I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him thus far. I did a research paper on the ship itself a while ago. I also remember going to see a Titanic exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry. They had this frozen block of ice to illustrate just how cold the water was for the people who couldn't make it onto a boat. The ship was launched just over 100 years ago so it might be time to watch this. 12/3/11

1985 Out of Africa - Can't say I know anything about it. 12/29/11

new 1980 Ordinary People - Heard of it but haven't seen it. 2/1/12

new 1971 The French Connection - I know Gene Hackman is in this. Only best picture from the 70s I haven't seen. :hfive: 2/1/12

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Zogo posted:

2002 Chicago - I can't say I'm looking forward to this. 11/27/11
John C. Reilly singing Mr. Cellophane is worth it.

(btw, that wasn't a pick for you since I didn't finish Fail-Safe yet. Just a note about Chicago.)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Outrage is a difficult one, because the first half is orders of magnitude better than the unfocused second half. We're immediately greeted with sexual harassment, and it snowballs from there into a nightmarish sexual assault. There's a few painful scenes of the victim becoming a pariah. She runs from home and finds a Bing Crosby-ish priest to mentor her, and that's where it goes downhill because he takes center-stage.

What's rattling about the film is that it's 60 years old film about rape culture, so you kind of expect it to be dated, but it's really not. The only stuff that IS dated is the total lack of suspicion about the priest constantly alone with a fragile young woman.

I've always liked Ida Lupino, but this is the first time I've seen her do something that feels personal. The leering and the lechery are almost physically exhausting. I was really moved by the first half - it's just a shame it crapped out near the end.

Zogo, Harakiri was one of this thread's greatest gifts to me, and hopefully it will be for you as well.

New list:

The Man from Nowhere Doesn't have Lee Byung-hun, but whaddaya gonna do.

The Darjeeling Limited I have never enjoyed a Wes Anderson movie, but I feel obligated to watch them.

Deep Red Two hour version or hour and a half version?

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes I don't...

Man's Castle Borzage crazy.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

new: Electra Glide in Blue Keep hearing good stuff about it, keep putting it off.

Apocalypto This is good, right?

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10), The Blue Angel (7.5.10), Amadeus (8/10), A Time to Love and a Time to Die (8.5/10), Mike's Murder (8/10), I Saw the Devil (7/10), Advise and Consent (8/10), Little Man, What Now? (8.5/10), Outrage (7.5)

Total: 136
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
penismightier, your movie is Electra Glide in Blue, which sounds like an awesome bit of 70's cinema.

I watched The 400 Blows earlier tonight and really enjoyed it -- it's an emotionally complex film while still being very simple and accessible. It's one of the best films I've seen with a kid protagonist; there's a nice balance between good-natured youthfulness, poorly considered dumbassed mischief, and the tragedy of trying to grow up amongst some hosed up circumstances. Antoine's not inherently a bad kid (apart from the way in which 12 year old boys are inherently assholes), it feels very natural the way that little things compound upon one another and things get worse and worse. His parents are intriguing characters too, and I like how little details combine to illuminate them in ways different than how they originally appeared.

There's an odd sense of whimsy throughout the movie too, especially the soundtrack, which gives some of the later scenes (like the police station) a greater bite. Some great camerawork too (I love the scene in the roto-whirl thing at the carnival) and I love the long shots of Paris in the opening.

UPDATED LIST:

1. Fallen Angel - I'm not sure I've seen any Preminger other than Laura, which is one of my favorite noirs, so this sounds like a good next step.

2. Querelle - I don't think I've seen any Fassbinder, and I'm interested in queer cinema; I was going to watch this with my housemate but he moved before I got a chance to.

3. Bringing Out The Dead - One of the handful of Scorsese films I haven't seen; I haven't heard much about it but it has Nic Cage so why not.

4. The Aviator - Again, a Scorcese I haven't seen; it looked like a pretty typical big Hollywood biopic and I didn't realize it was Scorcese until recently.

5. Grey Gardens - Looks like it could be an interesting documentary, I don't know much about it except for the basic premise.

6. 3 Women - I love Altman and this is about the only high-profile Altman film on my to-watch list.

7. The Woman In The Window - The only Hollywood-era Fritz Lang film I've seen is Scarlet Street, which I enjoyed, and this sounds like more of the same (in a good way)

8. Harlan County, USA - Picked up the Criterion on sale ages ago, haven't gotten around to it yet.

9. A Dangerous Method - This sounds like such weird territory for a Cronenberg film.

10. The Night Porter - Kinky and emotionally dark, this sounds right up my alley.

WATCHED: Rules of the Game, The 400 Blows

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

h_double posted:

7. The Woman In The Window - The only Hollywood-era Fritz Lang film I've seen is Scarlet Street, which I enjoyed, and this sounds like more of the same (in a good way)
Truffaut loved Lang's American films, so go for it.

Fail-Safe is perhaps a less shocking thriller now, more than 20 years after the cold war ended (and apparently being blatantly ripped off for Crimson Tide), but still has elements that work amid the ones that seem dated and have been treated to parody, and similar to Dr. Strangelove. The cold war ended when I was 8, so the fear and the paranoia are hard to full dive into, and the quality of the cinematography makes it feel like an odd instructional film from the 50s, like Stop, Drop and Roll. The best scenes are of Fonda, as the President, in a bunker with only his interpreter, Buck (Larry Hagman). Buck's quivering hands playing off of the President's calm hands was everything to this film, I thought. 7/10

My own list:

Children of Paradise - No reason, no excuse. It's the lowest entrant on the TSFDT top 1000 list that I haven't seen (#36). Of course I've seen some of the clips (like the mime clip), but it's not it's not a twist like The Crying Game or anything.

The Crying Game - Speaking of... I haven't been living under a rock, so I already know the twist... but I should see it at some point. I like Stephen Rea a lot.

East of Eden - I just haven't gotten to it. No particular reason why.

Gigi - Same. I love Leslie Caron and Vincente Minnelli is one of my favorite directors.

Gilda - I hear she does some cool poo poo with her hair.

Godzilla - Not all that into monster movies, but this is a classic and supposedly very different from the schlocky remakes/sequels.

The Life of Emile Zola - Just haven't gotten to it. I've never read any Zola.

The Public Enemy - One of the few of the genre I haven't seen, even though it's probably the most famous example.

NEW! To Be or Not To Be - I'm shockingly light on Ernst Lubitsch films considering the admiration I have for Billy Wilder, who used to keep a sign in his office that said "How would Lubitsch do it?"

A Woman Under the Influence - I'm very love/hate with Cassavettes, and I have to be extremely in the mood for him. And when I am, so far I've picked shorter films.

Watched so far:
Streetcar Named Desire - 8/10; The Three Colors: White - 7/10; Fail-Safe - 7/10

robix smash fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 2, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

robix smash posted:

the ones that seem dated and have been treated to parody, as in Dr. Strangelove.

There's an interesting relationship between those two. Strangelove isn't a Fail-Safe parody like a lot of people think, it was sort of parallel development - and actually Strangelove snuck into theaters first. Totally took the wind out of poor Fail-Safe's sails that everyone saw the scenario as a comedy first.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

penismightier posted:

There's an interesting relationship between those two. Strangelove isn't a Fail-Safe parody like a lot of people think, it was sort of parallel development - and actually Strangelove snuck into theaters first. Totally took the wind out of poor Fail-Safe's sails that everyone saw the scenario as a comedy first.
Ah, yeah. I should have looked at the release dates before I made a connection between the two. I always think of Strangelove being a little bit later in the 60s than it actually was.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
robix smash, enjoy To Be or Not To Be. I only saw it recently myself, and it's definitely one of the better comedies involving Nazis.

Memento was fun, and the major spoiler I mentioned turned out to not be such a major spoiler at all in the grand scheme of things, so hooray! My initial reaction is that it holds its own with any other mystery film I've yet seen. I went through a few stages of understanding through the whole thing- the initial getting-my-bearings as the plot structure reveals itself gave way to an understanding of what was going on, at least in terms of what information had been revealed, and then things got confusing again as the final information started to come out. I don't know if it's a testament to directorial skill or what, but I was able to follow the story without making complete sense of it right as it ended. Enjoyed it, though, and now debating whether to look at Wikipedia or something to clear some things up, or just save it for whenever I watch the movie again.

I also watched Tora! Tora! Tora! because it was about to expire off Netflix Instant. Good movie, although it felt just a bit dry to me at times. Relies a lot on the dramatic irony, but there are only a few "this ship is unsinkable!" Titanic-esque lines, and at any rate the story of Pearl Harbor IS one that is filled with dramatic irony in hindsight. CineD star-of-the-month Martin Balsam gets a great capstone moment on that front in his role as Admiral Kimmel. As for the attack sequence itself, I can only imagine the response that received 25 years after the war had ended when the film came out, because it's fantastic, and yet the wounds still had to be rather raw for some people. The strength and weakness of the film is that it was difficult to root for or against the Japanese, aside from feeling as though I had to root for the Americans. It's only a weakness in that I feel it may have contributed to that dryness I mentioned, making it a bit hard to get emotionally involved in the story in the usual way. That's also kind of the point, though- the complexities of the situation and the focus on how multiple people were involved make it a story of how War Happens rather than absolute Good vs. Evil. Actually, as I gather my thoughts here, I realize there is a dramatic thrust, and that the movie has heroes... it's just a bit more complicated:

That's probably far too many words from someone who doesn't seem to know what they're talking about just yet, so let's get on with the updated list featuring two new movies to choose from. (previous post here)

Updated list:

Being John Malkovich- Adaptation and Where the Wild Things Are were both pretty cool, so it's time to check out Spike Jonze's debut feature. Also, John Malkovich.

This Is Spinal Tap- I really have no excuse, except that the DVR hosed up when recording it off TCM, and there's no way I'm going to watch this for the first time on basic cable. Thanks, Netflix streaming, for being there for me, and letting me put this in a queue where I continue to ignore it because I take it for granted, or something.

Lethal Weapon- Bit by bit catching up on '80s and '90s action movies, and this is the next big one I've yet to see.

Leon (The Professional)- Everyone I know who has seen this loves it. Really looking forward to it, but the fact that it's on DVD and not something I need to get to before it expires from streaming or gets recorded over leads to another taken for granted/lack of urgency situation.

La Strada- I've never seen any Fellini.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights- Apparently a Mel Brooks classic among my age group, watched by many as young kids who probably shouldn't have watched it, and later a staple of high school band trips. I wasn't in band, so I missed a prime opportunity there.

King Kong- I did see this once, but it's been a long time. Like, "back before Remember WENN when AMC talked up film preservation and showed classic American movies and this was one I happened to catch" long time. Since I've only really gotten into classic films in the last couple years, and since it's on the DVR, it is time for a rewatch.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind- Replacing one three hour Spielberg film with another. I've caught the ending so many times on TV but have never sat down for the whole thing. Had the DVD for a couple years now, and am no longer averse to 3 hour movies, so the excuses are running out.

NEW!
The Thin Red Line- Replacing one ensemble war movie with another. I haven't seen any Malick. It's in my Netflix queue already, and thanks to the movie poster I found while mucking around for the movie poster thread and someone's subsequent emphatic recommendation, it is now on this list, too.

NEW!
A Streetcar Named Desire- Shameful, like so many others in this thread. How many people get introduced to Elia Kazan through A Face in the Crowd and Splendor in the Grass before any of the work he did with Brando and/or Tennesse Williams?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Discount Viscount posted:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind- Replacing one three hour Spielberg film with another. I've caught the ending so many times on TV but have never sat down for the whole thing. Had the DVD for a couple years now, and am no longer averse to 3 hour movies, so the excuses are running out.
WHICH ENDING? This is very important.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
It's been a while since I posted in this thread (last post was September 2010, yeeeah prompt) but I have finally watched what I was tasked with watching -

The Apartment - Is actually brilliant. Lemmon overplays his role a little too much (it works in Some Like It Hot, not so much here) but it's incredibly witty, clever, heartfelt and poignant. It's not afraid to throw emotional curveballs at you and it's not afraid to confront the anxieties behind the facades the characters throw up for fear of slowing down the laff train - as a result, it feels far more honest and far more relatable than most modern comedies. Also, it's nice to see Fred McMurray in a role that's so much more suited to him. Thanks for the rec, Sheldrake.

I also saw Raising Arizona on a plane not long after I got the rec for The Apartment. It was a shocking experience, because as someone who even likes Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers, I didn't expect it to be the first Coen brothers film I didn't like. CineD Role Model Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter are excellent but it's pitched at a level of goofiness that crosses the line into grotesque and just weirds me out. It's also not particularly funny, but I don't know how much of this is down to my being on a plane when I saw it.

So, The List:
1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've been moving slowly through 1970s American cinema over the past few years, and this remains an egregious omission on my behalf. A friend keeps recommending it to me, but I never get around to it.

2. A Fistful of Dollars - Brick, Yojimbo and Miller's Crossing are all favourites of mine, and another film adapted from that source material (by way of adapting from Yojimbo) seems like something I should be seeing.

3. Sunrise - Everyone around me who knows film has been praising this since I can remember. Plus, it's up there on the They Shoot Pictures list.

4. **NEW** My Cousin Vinny - Apparently required viewing for prospective/current lawyers. I fall into the former camp.

5. Sunset Boulevard - I'm more brushed up on Wilder since I last updated this list (Apartment, Some Like It Hot, Double Indemnity), but this feels like an egregious miss.

6. **NEW**Red Sorghum - I've seen enough of the Fifth Generation of the Beijing School of filmmakers to know I should probably check out their introductions at some point.

7. It's A Wonderful Life - Outside of One Flew Over, this is the highest film in the IMDB Top 250 that I haven't seen. Plus, I think James Stewart's amazing.

8. The Housemaid - I'm a massive fan of South Korean cinema, and the remake of this 1960s melodrama is probably one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year. That the film isn't available on DVD in New Zealand (to my knowledge) is probably the biggest thing standing in the way of my seeing it.

9. An Actor's Revenge - I'm going through that East Asian cinema phase every film student worth their salt goes through, and I've seen nothing by Kon Ichikawa, which is outrageous.

10. The Hidden Fortress - Arguably one of Kurosawa's most influential works, and it remains unseen by me.

What I've watched so far:
The Rules of the Game (4.5/5); Raising Arizona (2/5); The Apartment (4.5/5)

Discount Viscount, your film is Being John Malkovich and by god stay away from Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

pigeon shamus, go ahead and let us know how much loot George Lucas carried out of The Hidden Fortress.

Okay I did watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari pretty much right after it was assigned. I did enjoy it, was a little distracted by stylistic conventions of the time, like "closeups" of actors' faces having the remainder of the scene cropped out by a filter (I suppose there were no zoom lenses at the time), and the obvious makeup jobs and theatrical gesturing. The plot is quite interesting and is the best part of the film, along with the creepy German Expressionist sets with their distorted geometry. Mad/evil scientist/wizard shows up at the fair with his sleepwalking zombie and the mysterious murders begin! I suppose this may have been the first "psychological thriller" and perhaps the first feature film with a major plot twist? The score that accompanies the restoration that is on Netflix Instant Watch is very well done. This is a film that could actually be a kick-rear end modern remake with the right cast and director.

Zwabu posted:

Sideways - I've always heard good things about this and love Paul Giamatti, but having known pretentious California wine snobs all my life, the subject matter actually deters me from watching this rather than motivating me.

Sunshine - Love Danny Boyle, love sci-fi, not sure how well they mix, just never got around to watching it.

Adaption - One of many DVDs I've just had around forever and never bothered to watch.

Roger and Me - It's popular to trash Michael Moore on SA Forums. I think he can be manipulative in his presentation of subjects, but on the whole I think he's a skilled and entertaining filmmaker, and I've always wanted to see the film where he made his bones, just hadn't gotten around to it.

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! - I don't think I've seen any of Almodovar, this might be a good place to start?

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Had started watching this a couple of times, liked it but just hadn't made it through.

Un Chien Andalou - legendary surrealist stuff that I just haven't gotten around to watching.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Irreversible - I have a hard time stomaching a lot of cruelty. Though I've heard really good things about this, what I've read suggests it might not be my cup of tea.

The Battleship Potempkin - Old classic I just haven't gotten around to.

Shane

The Third Man

Harold and Maude

The 39 Steps

Nosferatu

Other, "are these really any good/worth watching?"

The Croupier

Hobo With a Shotgun

Quills - Geoffrey Rush as the Marquis de Sade. Really, what's not to like?

Howl's Moving Castle

The Iron Giant

House of the Devil

Salome's Last Dance

Delicatessen

The Game

Brick

Super Troopers - is this actually funny or is it more that everyone who saw it was high at the time?

Watched: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'll join in here. I'm gonna restrict myself to 10-12 films to begin with, though there's tonnes of candidates.

Zwabu, you'll watch Brick and let me know how it is.

As for my list:
The Conversation
I’ve had this for absolutely ages, but I’ve never gotten around to watching it. I’m pretty sure I’d enjoy it; it sounds like my kind of film.

Citizen Kane
Despite this being widely acclaimed as one of, if not the greatest film of all time, I’ve never gotten around to it. I remember reading about it about two years ago, how it wasn’t impressive for first time views anymore, which kind of discouraged me.

Predator, Commando, The Terminator
I was never very fond of 80s action films, so these have never been high on my list of films to watch. I did enjoy the second Terminator film, though.
Same as above.

Psycho
I fear that it will be really ineffective after all these years.

Double Indemnity
I started it once, but the video quality was rather jarring – the 4:3, the low bitrate and black and white.

For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of my favourite films of all time, but I’ve never watched the other two of the trilogy.

To Live and Die in LA
I got about half-way in when I thought it was just too 80s – poor sound effects and cheesy deaths. I hear it gets really good later, though.

csidle fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 2, 2012

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

csidle posted:

I'm gonna restrict myself to 10-12 films to begin with

You listed 19 Films.

From the OP:

thegloaming posted:

2. You POST AT MOST TEN (10) FILMS YOU ARE ASHAMED OF NEVER SEEING.

The person previous to you did the same thing, listing 25 films.

I understand there's probably a lot of films you haven't seen and limiting yourself to ten is hard, especially to start with, but it keeps things easier for others to pick, as well as gives you films to add when one pick has been exhausted.

Might I make a suggestion? I keep a list on hand of movies that I haven't seen that I add one at a time to my Shameful list as it needs it. I have over 75 films on that list. If you think you're forgetful, maybe doing something like that would be a good idea?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You listed 19 Films.
It's hard to even tell which one to recommend, because they're all drat good!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'll trim it down to ten unseen the next time I post, sorry I missed that.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You listed 19 Films.

From the OP:

The person previous to you did the same thing, listing 25 films.

I understand there's probably a lot of films you haven't seen and limiting yourself to ten is hard, especially to start with, but it keeps things easier for others to pick, as well as gives you films to add when one pick has been exhausted.

Might I make a suggestion? I keep a list on hand of movies that I haven't seen that I add one at a time to my Shameful list as it needs it. I have over 75 films on that list. If you think you're forgetful, maybe doing something like that would be a good idea?
Haha, my bad. I was going by the guy before me, therefore the mistake. I'll fix it!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

fenix down posted:

It's hard to even tell which one to recommend, because they're all drat good!

Mostly it's this. It's hard enough to pick from a list of ten!

csidle posted:

Haha, my bad. I was going by the guy before me, therefore the mistake. I'll fix it!

No worries or anything, I just think the OP put that in to keep things easier for everyone.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
csidle, go watch A Fistful of Dollars -- It's my favorite of the Eastwood/Leone westerns, and if you like it, you can add Yojimbo (the samurai film on which it's based) to your list.

I watched Fritz Lang's The Woman in the Window and it was pretty terrible. I'll start with the good bits -- the camerawork is terrific with lots of nice period detail and well-composed shadowy street scenes. Edward G. Robinson is good as a likeable mild-mannered psychology professor, and Joan Bennett is great for the two minutes she gets to be sultry (though she does look great in an evening gown).

The problem is that the script is an embarrassingly heavy-handed relic of Hays Code Hollywood. The professor meets a femme fatale on the street, she invites him up for a drink and to see some sketches, then her hot-headed sugar daddy appears unexpectedly, who is killed in the fracas that ensues. Robinson's character does a really half-assed job of hiding the body, and then discovers from his friend, the District Attorney, that the guy was a bigwig financier. The middle of the movie follows the murder investigation, with Robinson's character constantly tripping up and revealing details about the killing he shouldn't know and everybody around him laughing it off. It's then revealed that the financier had a shady bodyguard who follows the trail back to the dame, and tries to blackmail her and the professor. The shady bodyguard gets killed in a police shootout for no particular reason, but the professor never learns the coast is clear because he commits suicide by taking poison to escape his guilt in anguish. But then it turns out IT WAS ALL A DREAM, there never was any femme fatale, the "district attorney" was actually the coat check guy at the club and the "shady bodyguard" was the doorman. Maybe this was suspenseful stuff in 1944, but aside from the great visuals, this is just a hair away from self-parody. Scarlet Street has the same main cast and is a hundred times better.

UPDATED LIST:

1. Fallen Angel - I'm not sure I've seen any Preminger other than Laura, which is one of my favorite noirs, so this sounds like a good next step.

2. Querelle - I don't think I've seen any Fassbinder, and I'm interested in queer cinema; I was going to watch this with my housemate but he moved before I got a chance to.

3. Bringing Out The Dead - One of the handful of Scorsese films I haven't seen; I haven't heard much about it but it has Nic Cage so why not.

4. The Aviator - Again, a Scorcese I haven't seen; it looked like a pretty typical big Hollywood biopic and I didn't realize it was Scorcese until recently.

5. Grey Gardens - Looks like it could be an interesting documentary, I don't know much about it except for the basic premise.

6. 3 Women - I love Altman and this is about the only high-profile Altman film on my to-watch list.

7. A Mighty Wind - Christopher Guest does mockumentaries better than anyone, I love his cast of regulars, and I know a bunch of folk musicians; really no excuse for not having seen this.

8. Harlan County, USA - Picked up the Criterion on sale ages ago, haven't gotten around to it yet.

9. A Dangerous Method - This sounds like such weird territory for a Cronenberg film.

10. The Night Porter - Kinky and emotionally dark, this sounds right up my alley.

WATCHED: Rules of the Game (5/5), The 400 Blows (5/5), The Woman in the Window (2/5)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I've mostly been lurking this thread, but didn't post a list because I have a massive backlog of must-see films on my Netflix. HOWEVER I decided to finally take the plunge. So here we go, these are alphabetical.

1. Anatomy of a Murder - I liked Laura and The Man with the Golden Arm, and Jimmy Stewart rules.

2. Band of Outsiders - I don't know what this is about, but I like Godard's vant garde approach to just about any topic.

3. Barry Lyndon - One of the three big Kubricks I have yet to check out.

4. Closely Watched Trains - I don't know anything about this.

5. Jules and Jim - I like Truffaut, and people keep telling me to watch this.

6. Kind Hearts and Coronets - I don't know anything about this one either.

7. Pather Panchali - I haven't seen any Satyajit Ray films, but I read once that he influenced Wes Anderson (my favorite!).

8. Solaris - If it's anything like Stalker (one of my favorite movies ever) I'm sure I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

9. The Wages of Fear - I forget where I heard about this, but I think it's got a halfway decent reputation.

10. Wings of Desire - The synopsis sounds really interesting.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You forgot to pick for h_double.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caiman posted:

You forgot to pick for h_double.
I actually haven't seen a single film on his list - you pick!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

fenix down posted:

It doesn't matter; pick something that sounds interesting.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

fenix down posted:

You have to give to get, or the thread breaks down.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If in doubt, go with Nicolas Cage.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

h_double posted:

It doesn't matter; pick something that sounds interesting.
I pick Mighty Wind! Because it's probably pretty entertaining. And I'd like to apologize to everyone for this SHAMEFUL derail. :)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
A Mighty Wind is great, good pick, good pick!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

fenix down posted:

5. Jules and Jim - I like Truffaut, and people keep telling me to watch this.

I haven't actually seen any of the films on your list either, but I have a copy of this from my school library lying on my desk that I'll hopefully get around to this weekend. So hopefully we both enjoy it.

Anyway, I watched both Y Tu Mama Tambien and Marathon Man.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - This was excellent. I really started off hating the two boys, but I love the way they grow on you as you spend more time with them. They can certainly be insufferable at times but this is what road films are all about. The best I've seen from Cuaron.

Marathon Man - It borders on great, but doesn't quite make it there. It's still an excellent thriller that can get incredibly intense. The exposition felt forced at times, but Schlesinger must have an eye for architecture becomes some of those sets were fantastic. It's a mix of fun and cruelty, and the final confrontation is just so satisfying.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - Got this as a blind buy, mostly because The RZA praised it. It's been sitting around for a few months now.

Clash of the Titans - The original 1981 film. Another one that I dug out of the bargain bin and have left sitting around.

The Cow - Watched a Dariush Mehrjui film in my Film & Gender class last semester and have been wanting to check out some of his other stuff. This seems interesting.

A Hard Day's Night - As a Beatles fan I should really see this.

A Woman Is A Woman - Godard? Godard.

On The Waterfront - I should really expand my Brando horizons. I'm not too familiar with his early roles.

Black Narcissus - Something about nuns, but not the flying kind.

3 Women - Never seen any Altman.

Duck Soup - I have not actually seen anything by the Marx Brothers. Ever.

Hunger - I hear the name Steve McQueen with a prison movie and all I can think of is that ball cheerfully bouncing off the wall in The Great Escape. Something tells me this won't be like that.

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Gojira; Big Trouble In Little China, Y Tu Mamá También, Marathon Man

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

TrixRabbi posted:

Hunger - I hear the name Steve McQueen with a prison movie and all I can think of is that ball cheerfully bouncing off the wall in The Great Escape. Something tells me this won't be like that.

I really liked this...and you're right, nothing cheerful at all about this.

I was kind of disappointed by The Island of Lost Souls. It's not bad, it moves at a remarkably fast clip, the story is fun and the makeup and visuals are fantastic. What's not to like? Well, while it does all that well, not much really stands out other than the ending. Parker and his fiance are not interesting at all, just very vanilla and bland. Parker doesn't start that way, he's pretty funny when he's interacting with the drunk captain of the ship but once he hits the island, he doesn't have much to do other than act disgusted and shocked. I wanted to see more of the history of the island and Moreau himself. Laughton is much better in the role than Brando. Laughton is creepy, yes, but Brando is more grotesque than any of his creations.

Overall it's still good and because it's so short (70 minutes) I will probably revisit it again soon.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Long Goodbye - Altman + Chandler = winning combo...right?

4) Manhattan Murder Mystery - More Allen because there's just so drat much.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6) Carlos - Will likely watch this in segments...don't have five hours to kill too often.

7) Mystery Train - Only Jarmusch I haven't seen.

8) The Apartment - Back with the IMDB list.

9) Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages - Silent doc about witchcraft. Been meaning to see this for years.

10) Revanche - German revenge movie on Criterion? Sign me up.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls (TOTAL: 63)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Ratedargh, I am happy to task you with watching the excellent Revanche, which I'd advise you watch knowing as little about as possible (though I will mention it's Austrian, not German).

I watched A Mighty Wind and thoroughly enjoyed it. A great mix of absurd comedy and likable characters -- Eugene Levy was especially awesome, Jane Lynch was a nice surprise, and Fred Willard ("WHA HAPPENED?") is always a blast. Jennifer Coolidge also has a brief but amazing cameo as a PR agent. The songs are lots of fun too.

Really the only off note was a joke at the end about one of the singers being transgendered, but otherwise it was a really funny and endearing movie. Also now I'm mad at myself that I passed up a chance to see the Mighty Wind live tour a few years ago.

UPDATED LIST:

7. Red Sorghum - Zhang Yimou is one of my favorite directors and this was his first film.

WATCHED: Rules of the Game (5/5), The 400 Blows (5/5), The Woman in the Window (2/5), A Mighty Wind (4/5)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

h_double, try The Aviator.

Hunger is a hard film to pinpoint. For his debut McQueen shows some mastery behind the camera, with some amazing direction. Although, a lot of the characters felt incomplete and unexplored, such as the guard who ultimately gets killed in the nursing home or the prisoner who was smearing his poo poo all over the wall. I can understand this being deliberate, but they lacked some significance. Despite that, these characters were fascinating nonetheless. It's an excellent film, and I really want to see Shame now.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - Got this as a blind buy, mostly because The RZA praised it. It's been sitting around for a few months now.

Clash of the Titans - The original 1981 film. Another one that I dug out of the bargain bin and have left sitting around.

The Cow - Watched a Dariush Mehrjui film in my Film & Gender class last semester and have been wanting to check out some of his other stuff. This seems interesting.

A Hard Day's Night - As a Beatles fan I should really see this.

A Woman Is A Woman - Godard? Godard.

On The Waterfront - I should really expand my Brando horizons. I'm not too familiar with his early roles.

3 Women - Never seen any Altman.

Duck Soup - I have not actually seen anything by the Marx Brothers. Ever.

Le Doulos - Since it came first, I'll watch this before Le Samourai or Le Cercle Rouge.

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Gojira; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 3, 2012

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

TrixRabbi posted:

Well, yes and no. Enjoy. Don't mouse over this spoiler until after you see it: the entire film was shot outside of London.

To Be or Not To Be was brilliant, of course. Wilder's sign is justified. Farce is probably the style I have the least patience for, but mostly because it wears out its welcome when its ordinary, and Lubitsch is anything but. 8/10

My own list:

Children of Paradise - No reason, no excuse. It's the lowest entrant on the TSFDT top 1000 list that I haven't seen (#36). Of course I've seen some of the clips (like the mime clip), but it's not it's not a twist like The Crying Game or anything.

The Crying Game - Speaking of... I haven't been living under a rock, so I already know the twist... but I should see it at some point. I like Stephen Rea a lot.

East of Eden - I just haven't gotten to it. No particular reason why.

Gigi - Same. I love Leslie Caron and Vincente Minnelli is one of my favorite directors.

Gilda - I hear she does some cool poo poo with her hair.

Godzilla - Not all that into monster movies, but this is a classic and supposedly very different from the schlocky remakes/sequels.

The Life of Emile Zola - Just haven't gotten to it. I've never read any Zola.

The Public Enemy - One of the few of the genre I haven't seen, even though it's probably the most famous example.

NEW! Stalker - One of the 3 IMDb top 250 films that I haven't seen. (Nausicca and Elite Squad are the other two.)

A Woman Under the Influence - I'm very love/hate with Cassavettes, and I have to be extremely in the mood for him. And when I am, so far I've picked shorter films.

Watched so far (4):
Streetcar Named Desire - 8/10; The Three Colors: White - 7/10; Fail-Safe - 7/10; To Be or Not To Be - 8/10

robix smash fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 3, 2012

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

robix smash posted:

Time to get in the mood then!

I thought Monty Python and the Holy Grail was pretty good. It was often hilarious, but there were some parts that did nothing for me. Still, I feared that it wouldn't really hold up well but thankfully that wasn't the case.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - I see this compared to The Conversation a lot, which I loved.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail Cries and Whispers - I haven't been emotionally destroyed by a movie in a while, maybe this can do it for me.

5. Rififi - Heist films are pretty cool.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Newman and Redford? I'm already sold.

7. The Pianist - Next on the IMDb top 250.

8. It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

9. Casino - I saw this a looooooooong time ago and all I remember is a mannequin getting assassinated and I believe a watermelon is smashed with something metal at some point.

10. The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8, Ben-Hur 5, Magnolia 9, Rushmore 10, MASH 4, Spirited Away 8, The Cranes Are Flying 9, Monty Python and the Holy Grail 7 (Total: 110)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Good call on Woman Under the Influence, atheistdeals. I pick Sunrise for you. I just recently watched it, and it's was a treat. In a lot of ways the film bridges the gap between silents and talkies, using a mixture of cinematic techniques that are old and new.

For my assignment, I watched Jules and Jim. It starts off with a flurry of inputs - voiceover, montage, graffiti, stock footage, pictures in a wallet, even a slideshow! The plot then unfolds, revealing a perfect blend of romantic comedy and bittersweet drama. An extremely innovative film from a master of the art. I don't think I have any other Truffaut films on my list, so this may be the last I see of him for a while.

1. Anatomy of a Murder - I liked Preminger's Laura and The Man with the Golden Arm, and Jimmy Stewart rules.

2. Band of Outsiders - I don't know what this is about, but I like Godard's avant garde approach to just about any topic.

3. Barry Lyndon - One of the three big Kubricks I have yet to check out.

4. Closely Watched Trains - I don't know anything about this, but it's on all the big lists.

5. Mulholland Dr - Lynch fascinates me, I've seen Eraserhead, Dune, and Blue Velvet, and they were all extremely creative and unique, weirdness notwithstanding.

6. Kind Hearts and Coronets - I don't know anything about this one either, once again it shows up on various lists of great foreign films.

7. Pather Panchali - I haven't seen any Satyajit Ray films, but I read once that he influenced Wes Anderson (it must be good!).

8. Solaris - If it's anything like Stalker (one of my favorite movies) I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

9. The Wages of Fear - I forget where I heard about this, but it's got a halfway decent reputation, right?

10. Wings of Desire - The synopsis sounds really interesting.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

fenix down posted:

9. The Wages of Fear - I forget where I heard about this, but it's got a halfway decent reputation, right?

You had a bunch on your list I wanted to recommend but this one grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Once it hits its stride, it is one of the most intense movies I've seen.

As for Revanche, I wasn't sure about it at first. I liked the relationships set up with Alex and Tamara. It switches the focus with a mid-stride twist when Tamara dies during a robbery. I thought the pimp she worked for was going to play a more major role but he's mostly just part of the table-setting. The second half slows down into a more meditative piece about guilt, quiet rage and personal suffering. It feels more like a Bergman film down the stretch, which is an interesting stylistic shift from the faster paced opening sequences. It fits, though, with the change of scenery, city to country. Really good and very pretty to look at.

Two things that initially irked me that in time actually made perfect sense when I thought about them more.

1) Tamara's subtitles were awkward to read at times and I thought it was a poor translation by Criterion, especially when she's described as more intelligent than others. Then I realized she speaks differently than the others and figured she came from a different country and got by however she could. This was shortly thereafter confirmed when she said she was from Ukraine.

2)I couldn't understand why Susanne slept with Alex out of the blue. It seemed so illogical and unnatural. It took me a few scenes to realize that she was using him to get pregnant because her husband couldn't do it. The line "he understands" in reference to what her God thinks about her actions clued me in when even the brief conversation about the nursery did not.

Thanks for pointing out it's not German, h_double...my mistake.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Long Goodbye - Altman + Chandler = winning combo...right?

4) Manhattan Murder Mystery - More Allen because there's just so drat much.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6) Carlos - Will likely watch this in segments...don't have five hours to kill too often.

7) Mystery Train - Only Jarmusch I haven't seen.

8) The Apartment - Back with the IMDB list.

9) Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages - Silent doc about witchcraft. Been meaning to see this for years.

10) Stalker - I've seen and liked a couple Tarkovsky but keep hearing this one getting love.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche (TOTAL: 64)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Satisfy your curiosity, Ratedargh, go see what Black Moon is all about.

It took me a couple of months to get around to seeing The French Connection, but that had nothing to do with the quality of the movie. Once it got going for real it was a blast watching. I'm not one for car chases, but the train chase was amazingly engaging. The plot was smart and tight, and it was a lot of fun slotting pieces of information together until you can see what's going on. Hackman and Scheider were great, but the biggest star of the film has to be 1970's New York - what a fantastic bleak atmosphere it provided.

Need to see:
1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan of Tati, so I should.

2. 2001 - A Space Odyssey - I've seen this before, but I was twelve. I remember thinking it was 'lame and stupid'.

3. Dark City - I've thought about seeing this so many times, but I never seem to be in the mood.

4. Fantastic Planet - Some really groovy animation and a score by Alain Goraguer. Sounds amazing.

5. The Departed - I sometimes get Matt Damon and Leo DiCaprio mixed up, so this looks like a nightmare.

6. Almost Famous - Movies about music is a favorite genre of mine, so this should be great.

7. Doctor Zhivago - Omar Sharif is a very handsome man.

8. Pleasantville - Jay Dub posted this in the Ultimate Recommendation thread, but I'm not sure. Tobey Maguire?

9. The Night of the Hunter - The stuff I've heard about this ranges from 'intense' to 'silly'. Figured I should give it a try myself.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona, Easy Rider, Casablanca, City of God, Predator, Modern Times, Amadeus, Hoop Dreams, The Hustler, The Apartment, Punch Drunk Love, Hard Eight, The French Connection