Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kudaros posted:

Sounds really childish. Why not just settle things in armed combat? It is amazing how much power a judge has.

Armed combat sounds good at first, but soon enough the bar will consist entirely of mma fighters and hulk hogan impersonators.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Lilosh posted:

Forget that other guy, sublet it to me.

Also, you've turned off PMs, so I can't message you. :mad:

fuuuuu

it's aac2151 at columbia dot edu

let me know when you get this.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
12 law schools being sued by 8 different law firms. Looks like a couple TT law schools were included so they are finally moving up the ladder!

edit: Whoops!

GamingOdor fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2012

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

blar posted:

12 law schools being sued by 8 different law firms. Looks like a couple TT law schools were included so they are finally moving up the ladder!
Half of the law schools in Chicago are being sued. About time.

(Also, your link goes to a local Amazon deal.)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Feces Starship posted:

fuuuuu

lol do you really want to rent to a cornellian. REALLY.

Lilosh won't pay your rent because it totally doesn't account for his talents maaaaaan.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 2, 2012

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Feces bro you obviously want to sublet to a future YLJ EIC

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why can't they share the place and make a sitcom about it?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
Apropos of nothing, you know those old, grizzled attorneys who are rude to everyone and don't give the time of day to support staff? They don't start that way. They start as regular people, folks who say please and thank you and are polite to everyone. Then, over time, after years and years of having to deal with raw, unfiltered incompetence, that politeness fades to a muted tolerance, and then, ultimately, distaste.

Edit: Also, while I'm complaining, let's talk about other things I hate about my job. I apparently can't get my Public Service Loan Forgiveness paperwork taken care of because it requires a signature from an HR person at my office, yet nobody at my office will sign it because nobody believes they have been granted the necessary authority to sign a piece of paper that states the date I started working there. This issue has literally been elevated to the national HR office and I'm sure that the President of the United States will issue an executive order soon enough.

A while back when I was an intern, my boss told me that the number one reason people leave this job is because the bureaucracy and red tape is enough to strangle any sane, thinking person. He wasn't wrong.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2012

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

10-8 posted:

Half of the law schools in Chicago are being sued. About time.

(Also, your link goes to a local Amazon deal.)

The plaintiff for the John Marshall suit graduated in May and is suing because he still hasn't found permanent legal employment. If only every law school grad without work sued right after being admitted to the bar...

e: Also he's the same guy who compared himself to Rosa Parks when he took his daughter to a Catholic Church despite her being raised Jewish by his estranged ex-wife.

http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/judge-rules-that-dad-can-take-daughter-to-catholic-church.html

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2012

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
This should be required 1L reading: http://www.constitutionaldaily.com/...&layout=default

Sad fired associate posted:

I don't see anythin' wrong with layin' brick, that's somebody's home I'm buildin'. Or fixin' somebody's car, somebody's gonna get to work the next day 'cause of me. There's honor in that.

- Good Will Hunting

“Why are you interested in working at Target?”

You know, that’s really a question you should expect to be asked at an interview, why you want to work there. Pretty basic stuff. But, this was Target. No one wants to work at Target.

“I need a job, and y’all are hiring.”

I’m not a good liar. I’m not particularly talented at telling the truth either.

What other reason is there? I added in some BS about how whenever I go to Target the staff always seems really friendly, so the company must be pretty nice to work for. But come on, you don’t apply to Target because it’s always been your dream to be the person that makes the swipy thing do the bloopy sound.

There’s a new Target opening up near where I live, and they had 140 rank and file positions to fill.

I got up early, pressed the wrinkles out of my favorite cornflower blue dress shirt, put on a suit and tie for the first time in months, and drove the 30 minutes out to some community center I’d never heard of. To call the parking lot full would be a gross understatement. It was game-day full. Not only was every parking spot taken, but every space big enough to fit a car had a car. Curbs, grass, the space in front of another car boxing it in. I had to leave the community center and park at a nearby strip of underused offices and then walk the quarter mile back through rain and mud.

Once inside, I was given a stack of forms to fill out and pointed in the direction of a gymnasium. That’s when I realized I was probably overdressed. I counted about 300 other people, and I didn’t see a single other suit in the room. Only two other ties.

Oh well, forms to fill out, and time’s a’wasting.

Education: BA, University of Alabama (English and Philosophy); JD, New York University School of Law

Most recent job: Associate Attorney

Job duties: Securities and Private Equity (that’s all that’ll fit in the inadequate, inch-long box)

Salary: $160,000

Yeah, definitely only suit in the room. But hey, they must need some low level managers, right? I had experience managing the business team for an undergraduate literary journal, and right now I’m managing a team of writers, writers who I’ve somehow convinced to do free work on top of their very demanding full time adult jobs. Legal work could be spun as customer service experience, even though I’d never actually talked to a client. Hopefully they wouldn’t ask for details. (They didn’t.)

A little more than an hour sitting on a bleacher, then about half an hour standing in a line, and another hour sitting down again, my name was finally called. I followed a girl in standard Target attire out of the gym and into another gym, filled with tables where interviews were being conducted. I was introduced to my two interviewers and took a seat.

Maybe I should have worn khakis instead. All the Target staff wear them. I assume they provide the red Target polos, but you probably have to get your own khakis. Maybe wearing them would tell the interviewer, “Yes, I own some khakis.” That’s probably a pretty important job qualification.

“Why are you interested in working at Target?”

Because this is what it’s come to. People study things like corporate finance, tax law, and administrative regulations. They aspire to work on hundred million dollar international project finance deals. They don’t aspire to put on khakis and a red polo every night (shifts start at 3:00am) and restock Legos and Paul Newman’s pizza. Not until they do, that is.

Eight more questions followed, all read from a script.

What would you say was your greatest weakness at your last job?

The economy. Lack of any feedback on job performance was a close second.

Describe a time you resolved a conflict with a coworker.

The firm didn’t want to give me any more money. I had different feelings about that. We let HR sort it out.

Describe a time you faced a challenge and overcame it.

I managed to not push the gas to the floor and ram every tree and telephone pole I saw on the way out here.

Back to the bleachers for a little while longer, then one of the interviewers came over to tell me.

“We don’t have anything available right now.”

They’d keep my application on file for 60 days before tossing it in the trash, at which time I was invited to reapply.

140 job openings, an entire big box store of duties to fulfill. I wasn’t fit to do any of them.

140 rejections in one short sentence.

140 things you can’t do with a law degree.

Law firms hire for entry level positions through on campus interviews. 3Ls have a hard enough go at it, and schools aren’t exactly inviting back alumni to compete. Outside of that, there aren’t entry level positions. Everything wants experience. A year of odd jobs around a law office doesn’t cut it, not when the advertisement says the job requires 5-7 years of experience, and it will ultimately be filled by someone with 12-15.

[As I’m writing this, I just got an e-mail telling me I had not been chosen for a contracts admin position with a local military tech company. drat. I’d also recently been rejected from a similar bullshit low-level contract admin job with the Missile Defense Agency.]

I’ve been trying to figure out ways to spin my experience. That’s what all the career gurus tell you, learn to spin. Legal work is customer service. Your ability to use five different highlighter colors shows your knack for complex organization. Your two credit class on ERISA gives you experience at resolving human resources disputes. Fraud. You’re not telling an outright falsehood, but you are being intentionally misleading to induce another into making a decision in reliance on that misimpression. That’s the essence of fraud.

So, if that’s what it takes, I’ve wondered why not go all out. Some people do in fact lie on their resumes. They pad their employment dates, create fake job duties, and sometimes just create jobs and education out of thin air.

I’d probably go the other direction though. Lie and say I had to leave the practice of law not because of a layoff and the inability to get hired after. No, disbarment sounds better. Drug addiction, picked up on a UPOCS charge (fioricet, a barbiturate), deferred sentence tossed out after a year of rehab and community service. A single drug offense isn’t going to get you disbarred, especially when the case is wiped off your record, but how many people outside of the legal profession know that?

You can’t just leave the JD off your resume. That leaves a pretty big hole, one any interviewer is going to ask about. If you wait to disclose that you went to law school, if it looks like you’re trying to hide the fact, they’re going to think you’re a termination tourist. People take jobs looking to get fired, sue the company for wrongful termination, discrimination, whatever, and then cash out with a nice settlement bigger than their annual salary. Would you really hire someone who didn’t disclose that they used to be a lawyer? If they don’t think you’re planning to sue when you get fired, then you’re probably there undercover to collect evidence for a class action. That’s even worse.

Leaving the JD off wouldn’t work, and washed out legal also-ran isn’t exactly a compelling or sympathetic story. You’d rather hire the person who sincerely wants to work at Target than the over-educated guy who thinks about lethal combinations every time he walks through the pharmacy section. Rehabilitated drug addict? That’s probably someone who really will appreciate the job. Everyone likes a comeback, and who doesn’t have a friend or relative mixed up with drugs?

Not that I think being a drug addict is better than being unemployed, but it’s all about perception. You’re only as good as your last game. If you get crushed in the playoffs, that’s what people remember, doesn’t matter that you had the winning season needed to get that far in the first place. Win the pennant as a wildcard? Same deal, no one looks at how mediocre your record was, it’s only the last game that matters.

They’ll tell you about all the things you can do with a law degree. Practice corporate law, litigate big corporate cases, litigate big civil rights cases, litigate little civil rights cases, family law stuff, procurement, contract administration, human resources. I’m sure there are plenty of lawyers doing all those things.

They don’t tell you about what you can’t do with a law degree though. Pay off your loans. Move out of your parents’ house. Buy your brother a Christmas present. Fill your gas tank up past halfway. Renew your drivers license and pay your auto insurance in the same month. You don’t see that on any law school admissions page.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omerta posted:

This should be required 1L reading: http://www.constitutionaldaily.com/...&layout=default

Whoever wrote that comes off like an insufferable wanker and I doubt any 1Ls would give a toss about him

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

:pervert: too late

*g***d***@***.com

There are no secrets here.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Agesilaus posted:

Armed combat sounds good at first, but soon enough the bar will consist entirely of mma fighters and hulk hogan impersonators.

And it still ends up as childish... This says something about the human condition.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Omerta posted:

I mean, I know overemployment sucks and all, but that's a little dramatic.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

LASTCAR posted:

:words:

Well, I was confident before...but after reading these I'm pretty convinced I'm going to fail the bar exam a month from now. Doubt I'd be able to do even that well, and that's considered failing? Good thing I don't have a job lined up or anything :smugdog:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

*g***d***@***.com

There are no secrets here.

I don't know wtf this means, but if it's leading toward you and me lovingly spitroasting Feces Starbro all night I'm totally down

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
no

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Feces Starship posted:

Got it.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

The Warszawa posted:

lol do you really want to rent to a cornellian. REALLY.

Lilosh won't pay your rent because it totally doesn't account for his talents maaaaaan.

I don't know what this is referencing. :(

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

Whoever wrote that comes off like an insufferable wanker and I doubt any 1Ls would give a toss about him

Best case scenario: that's your coworker. Worst case scenario: that's you.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
A bit of a shot in the dark, but anyone here in NC doing Family law? Got a guardianship of a minor question, and I'd love to pick someone's brain over PMs.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
just turned down a job as a patent agent for $120k (after they had offered me $110k).

went, have job, married

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

just turned down a job as a patent agent for $120k (after they had offered me $110k).

went, have job, married

Let's be clear, you have a job that doesn't require a JD right?

We don't want anyone getting the wrong impression.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I'm still waiting for Mookie to come back.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Motherfucker. They won't let me on the indigent appointment list because I haven't been practicing for a year. In any of the four regional counties. This is bullshit.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Motherfucker. They won't let me on the indigent appointment list because I haven't been practicing for a year. In any of the four regional counties. This is bullshit.

That sucks man.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

That sucks man.

Oh excuse me, I can get on the Dallas one if I pay $3000 to take a course run by NITA in june.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

went, have job, married

You made a wise choice.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CaptainScraps posted:

Oh excuse me, I can get on the Dallas one if I pay $3000 to take a course run by NITA in june.

NITA is the biggest scam in an industry full of giant scams

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

CaptainScraps posted:

I feel like I've mentioned this before in the thread -- sorry if that's the case.

Michigan has the State Appellate Defender's Office (the closest thing we get to a traditional PD's office, but obviously only for appellate cases), but they're overworked, so we also have a court appointed appellate counsel system. If you want to get on the roster at your local courthouse, you have to get put on the statewide roster maintained by the Michigan Appellate Assigned Counsel System (MAACS).

If you want to get put on the statewide roster, you have to take the training course offered by MAACS... who haven't offered the training since 2006 (and 1997 before that).

Yup, we're working REALLY hard to secure equal access to justice.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^ if michigan is like illinois, don't work for the state appellate defender. Just say no

Omerta posted:

I'm still waiting for Mookie to come back.

Woah, careful what you wish for...

Omerta posted:

Best case scenario: that's your coworker. Worst case scenario: that's you.

I'm not going to lose a160k job and apply to targets, and I don't work with anyone like that, so I'm not sure I follow you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

^ if michigan is like illinois, don't work for the state appellate defender. Just say no
Why's that? Here in California working for the state PD doing appeals seems like a pretty good deal.

California isn't a bad place to be a PD if (IF) you can get a job and keep it. Pay is reasonable (Starting out from $55k-$98k depending on county. Generally ramps up well. Not biglaw salary, but better than most states)., the benefits are amazing, and the hours are fine.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 3, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

Why's that? Here in California working for the state PD doing PD seems like a pretty good deal.

California isn't a bad place to be a PD if (IF) you can get a job and keep it. Pay is reasonable (Starting out from $55k-$98k depending on county. Generally ramps up well. Not biglaw salary, but better than most states)., the benefits are amazing, and the hours are fine.

Working for the SAD is much different than being a PD. The SAD office is where laws are mutilated beyond recognition.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Soothing Vapors posted:

But they'll pay for me to go.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

Working for the SAD is much different than being a PD. The SAD office is where laws are mutilated beyond recognition.

grumblefish?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

grumblefish?

duh.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Agesilaus posted:

Seasonal Affective Disorder? Why you kids gotta rag on Alaska all the time, huh? Just because I am plunged into complete soul sucking darkness for a large percentage of the year does not mean our office is where laws are mutilated. My office is awesome :colbert:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Agesilaus posted:

I have a bunch of friends at the Illinois State Appellate Defender office and it's a pretty nice gig if you're more focused on stability and job security than advancement and pay increases.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

Seasonal Affective Disorder? Why you kids gotta rag on Alaska all the time, huh? Just because I am plunged into complete soul sucking darkness for a large percentage of the year does not mean our office is where laws are mutilated. My office is awesome :colbert:
Aren't you based in Anchorage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Soothing Vapors posted:

My trial professors wrote the NITA book :(