Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
That makes sense.

How many cards are there, do you know? Problem with games like that is the way you get to know all the answers after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Fatkraken posted:

So how long before netflix UK is actually worth subscribing to? I have the free trial but to be honest the selection is absolutely abysmal compared to what people seem to have in the US, and I am not happy paying the same price for a tiny fraction of the service. My current plan is to cancel once the free trial runs down and re-sub in a few months/a year or so once the selection actually contains more than a few things I want to watch.

Are they adding stuff at a decent pace?

I'm planning to cancel once the free trial expires too. I've hardly used it. I browsed through the recommendations it presumably acquired from my Facebook account. Doctor Who was incomplete, Dexter was 4 years behind America and the quality on Starship Troopers was lower than the free stream I'd just watched on iPlayer.

But there's still lots of stuff I would watch if only the quality was better. Maybe I've just been unlucky picking the wrong material to stream, but it's barely DVD quality and I know my bandwidth is enough for HD.

I like the idea of Netflix but I'm not sure I want to pay a subscription fee for telly that's lower quality than the copyright-infringing alternative.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I love the Pointless board game :(

I do reckon that they missed a trick on not having an electronic device that goes down from 100 though, with the current question master entering the number in the back. That would have been great.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Noreaus posted:

I love the Pointless board game :(

I do reckon that they missed a trick on not having an electronic device that goes down from 100 though, with the current question master entering the number in the back. That would have been great.

That would have been cool, as it is the board is pretty...pointless

According to the product information on Amazon there are 338 questions. I'd say you go through about 10-15 in a four-player game.

addendum: According to a product review the questions are all taken from the first 2 series of the show; I guess that might be a problem if you're a regular viewer with an excellent memory

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 2, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
What I want to know is, who was the poor bastard who remembered to answer "Batman and Robin"?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MisterLizard posted:

I'm planning to cancel once the free trial expires too. I've hardly used it. I browsed through the recommendations it presumably acquired from my Facebook account. Doctor Who was incomplete, Dexter was 4 years behind America and the quality on Starship Troopers was lower than the free stream I'd just watched on iPlayer.

But there's still lots of stuff I would watch if only the quality was better. Maybe I've just been unlucky picking the wrong material to stream, but it's barely DVD quality and I know my bandwidth is enough for HD.

I like the idea of Netflix but I'm not sure I want to pay a subscription fee for telly that's lower quality than the copyright-infringing alternative.
I'd recommend giving the free trial of unblock-us.com a go. I tried it last night and holy poo poo there's like 10 times the content - including UK TV that the UK version doesn't have.

It's an extra $5 a month but it seems like it could be worth it. Also I use it on the Apple TV 2 and the quality is always DVD or better, often HD.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Cross-posting from the England regional thread, since this effects both my getting British TV and access to iPlayer and 4OD (this thread also tends to see more traffic):

Moved into my new bedsit in Gateshead, need to sort out broadband and TV for it. May just go for a Freeview box but I know there might be deals for getting both TV and internet with Sky or Virgin. Anyone want to give recommendations or warnings?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Cum Cuck Me posted:

The cards look like this:

Hold on, I can think of an Arnold film thats not on the card, how do they handle that? Or is it just left to standard family boardgame arguing?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Fatty posted:

Hold on, I can think of an Arnold film thats not on the card, how do they handle that? Or is it just left to standard family boardgame arguing?

There's a back to some of the cards, with the very low scoring answers on them. That one looks like it's full on that side, so probably has some on the other. You probably just earned yourself a Pointless Trophy :smug:

Edit: Oh, no, that's a Round 1 card. So maybe not. What film?
E2: I also think that picture may not be from the release version, the pointless answers in the release version have a little symbol next to them, and questions like that almost always have a date on them "Up to 2009" etc.

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 2, 2012

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cross-posting from the England regional thread, since this effects both my getting British TV and access to iPlayer and 4OD (this thread also tends to see more traffic):

Moved into my new bedsit in Gateshead, need to sort out broadband and TV for it. May just go for a Freeview box but I know there might be deals for getting both TV and internet with Sky or Virgin. Anyone want to give recommendations or warnings?

Unless you're really keen on sports or movies Sky doesn't have much to offer that Freeview or Freesat don't.

Having used all three services, I think Freesat is the best. You can even get boxes to record/pause/rewind TV like Sky+ but without a subscription fee. It also includes access to iPlayer and ITV player through a red-button service on your TV which is really handy.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

So how long before netflix UK is actually worth subscribing to? I have the free trial but to be honest the selection is absolutely abysmal compared to what people seem to have in the US, and I am not happy paying the same price for a tiny fraction of the service. My current plan is to cancel once the free trial runs down and re-sub in a few months/a year or so once the selection actually contains more than a few things I want to watch.

I'm planning to cancel too, as the quality is pretty lovely making movies quite unwatchable, and there isn't a huge selection of TV shows. Having said that, it does have the entirety of The Thick of It on there, which I marathoned in three days having never seen it before. I see why everyone raves about it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I'm planning to cancel too, as the quality is pretty lovely making movies quite unwatchable, and there isn't a huge selection of TV shows. Having said that, it does have the entirety of The Thick of It on there, which I marathoned in three days having never seen it before. I see why everyone raves about it.
The quality of Netflix I thought was really good, it's just there's nowhere near enough content for it to be worth it yet. Dunno how you can say it was unwatchable, looked as good as watching TV to me

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Noreaus posted:

There's a back to some of the cards, with the very low scoring answers on them. That one looks like it's full on that side, so probably has some on the other. You probably just earned yourself a Pointless Trophy :smug:

He was in that Around the World in 80 Days with Coogan and Jackie Chan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWc7iMP3C2o

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

The quality of Netflix I thought was really good, it's just there's nowhere near enough content for it to be worth it yet. Dunno how you can say it was unwatchable, looked as good as watching TV to me

I believe the U.S one self adjusts quality based on your bandwidth and connection, so if your ISP is being crappy, then its a really low bandwidth stream.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Dekks posted:

I believe the U.S one self adjusts quality based on your bandwidth and connection, so if your ISP is being crappy, then its a really low bandwidth stream.
Indeed, it's always very clear for me.

And like I said before, for an extra £3 a month you can get access to the US library, which is huge and way better. You'll also get Hulu (only through a browser, though) as a happy side effect.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Natural World - Tiger Dynasty :(

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wow, Eastenders is a bit grimdark at the moment. Can't see Derek being allowed to hang around that much longer intact, I know he's only been around a few months but being a horrible violent criminal AND openly racist isn't doing him any favours in the survivability stakes. Phil may be a dick but he's an equal opportunities dick.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why would you voluntarily move to Gateshead.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Rycalawre posted:

To tash-on with lasses , I really don't quite understand why you would even ask a question like that? :confused:

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Leon with a Zero posted:

To tash-on with lasses , I really don't quite understand why you would even ask a question like that? :confused:

The last time I was in Gateshead was for a lock in, I was off my face on E and drinking beer from the taps and 'driving' round in one of those little tike toy car things, I can't actually imagine having to live in that place.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He was in that Around the World in 80 Days with Coogan and Jackie Chan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWc7iMP3C2o

That was a cameo I think, which isn't counted on the show.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
Don't know if anyone is interested but I just got an email about audience tickets for the new Blockbusters. It's a bit far for me to go but here's a link just for you guys:

http://www.applausestore.com/applausestore-book-show.php?id=1505&bid=1guys:

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Noel Fieldings Luxury Comedy was a slight improvement on last week, but still very disappointing. The improvement was probably down to Rich Fulcher being in it a little more.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Noreaus posted:

Junior! Hes the main guy on the poster and everything.

Edit: Also something involving the end of the world and Gabriel Byrne.

Edit2: Christ, The Eraser, that game is seriously flawed.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 3, 2012

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rycalawre posted:

Was that a question? Doesn't make sense as a statement. It's because it's a 30 minute walk to work across the river, the bedsit is drat nice and I can be in Newcastle centre quicker than if I lived in certain parts of the city itself.

I'm probably going to go with Orange, since I would need a phone line from Virgin which takes the whole thing up to £28 a month or so. So basically you guys have until the evening to share horror stories before I go for it.

Edit: actually O2 might do a better deal with line rental, if I get an O2 SIM first.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 3, 2012

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's because it's a 30 minute walk to work across the river
Wow, someone thinks they're the second coming of jesus.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Rycalawre posted:

Why would you voluntarily move to the north?

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
Is anyone else really dreading the new Being Human series, which I just discovered starts on Sunday? I loved that show, but the new characters and cast, coupled with a terrible new trailer, is making me worry it's going to be horrible. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wow guys, we are getting RIPPED OFF for Netflix. Just checked the US site, for my tipple of choice (Sci-fi and fantasy TV shows) they have over 140 entries; a goodly portion are MST3K episodes given separate entries, but even so I'd say there are over 100 series. All of LOST, BSG, X-Files, Buffy, various Treks

UK: 13 entries, including charmed, Heroes and the 4400. No trek, no buffy, no X-files, fewer seasons of new-Who (I PAID FOR IT!), no LOST, no BSG. There's a couple of decent looking bits and bobs that I haven't seen before, but for the most part it is a drat paltry selection.

For the low low price of exactly the same as the Americans pay for 10x the service. Aren't we fortunate?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Metrication posted:

Because it's full of nice lads that mean well and cheap, fun life.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Metrication posted:

Why would you voluntarily stay in the south?

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!
^^^ north solidarity :britain:

Chedranian Girl posted:

Is anyone else really dreading the new Being Human series, which I just discovered starts on Sunday? I loved that show, but the new characters and cast, coupled with a terrible new trailer, is making me worry it's going to be horrible. Hope I'm wrong, though.

First/second series were great, third series started off strong and then went insane around the point of the vampire gimp parties and the crazy uncomfortable zombie episode. It was like watching a trainwreck, except every car is full of people you love. Probably not going to tune into this one.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Wow guys, we are getting RIPPED OFF for Netflix. Just checked the US site, for my tipple of choice (Sci-fi and fantasy TV shows) they have over 140 entries; a goodly portion are MST3K episodes given separate entries, but even so I'd say there are over 100 series. All of LOST, BSG, X-Files, Buffy, various Treks

UK: 13 entries, including charmed, Heroes and the 4400. No trek, no buffy, no X-files, fewer seasons of new-Who (I PAID FOR IT!), no LOST, no BSG. There's a couple of decent looking bits and bobs that I haven't seen before, but for the most part it is a drat paltry selection.

For the low low price of exactly the same as the Americans pay for 10x the service. Aren't we fortunate?

It's because copyright laws are different. Different people for the US and the UK own the distribution right for their country, so it's not like Netflix are just hiding the content from the UK, they just legally don't have the rights to distribute Trek/Buffy/whatever in the UK yet. I'm sure as Netflix UK goes along, they'll work out more distribution deals.

I don't really get how you're all getting "Oh the US is getting all the best things!!" It's no different to Americans not able to watch things on iPlayer or 4oD. Copyright gets funky once you switch countries. Funnily enough the Berne Convention didn't mention Netflix back in the 1800s.

Though I do agree that it sucks that you're paying the same for shittier content. But they're not forcing you to join so...

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Also not that impressed with Netflix UK. I was hoping for some King of the Hill episodes and to discover some new US shows. Instead you can watch Coupling and the kind of movies that Blockbuster has in the bargain bin. Woo! It's a shame because it's pretty cool to be able to watch stuff instantly through the PS3.

(And to add to the board games discussion, never ever ever buy the QI board game. I had to play it at my mother-in-laws over the holidays and either the instructions are badly written, or we're all morons, because we wasted 2 hours playing the loving game and don't think we managed a single round without an argument over the rules. Oh, and Stephen Fry's smug face stares at you from the box, mocking you.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Metrication posted:

Because it's bloody great.

Some day I will return.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The most northern place i've been to in England is Alton Towers.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Just pay the three odd pounds a month for unblock-us.com you big babies.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
See a Room 101 with Alice Cooper hosted by Frank Skinner could be a great bit of telly, but they had to cram in Chris Tarrent and some other pointless clown for some reason.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Leyburn posted:

See a Room 101 with Alice Cooper hosted by Frank Skinner could be a great bit of telly, but they had to cram in Chris Tarrent and some other pointless clown for some reason.

The balloon Alice was great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

BeeZee142 posted:

It's because copyright laws are different. Different people for the US and the UK own the distribution right for their country, so it's not like Netflix are just hiding the content from the UK, they just legally don't have the rights to distribute Trek/Buffy/whatever in the UK yet. I'm sure as Netflix UK goes along, they'll work out more distribution deals.

I don't really get how you're all getting "Oh the US is getting all the best things!!" It's no different to Americans not able to watch things on iPlayer or 4oD. Copyright gets funky once you switch countries. Funnily enough the Berne Convention didn't mention Netflix back in the 1800s.

Though I do agree that it sucks that you're paying the same for shittier content. But they're not forcing you to join so...

I understand WHY it is the way it is.

I think it was a mistake to launch with such a lovely content range though. Netflix is a huge company, and I know the UK and US companies are the same because I always end up with US based customer service when I call. Their argument was "the US range was bad to begin with too, give it time", but that is a flawed argument, when the US range was poor netflix was a brand new company and digital distribution was a new idea. They are now a giant with a tried and tested business model.

They are not hurting for cash, so why not wait until they actually had a decent range of distribution deals in place for the UK BEFORE launching, instead of going out half cocked with a very paltry range? Look at the number of people in this thread who are not going to continue once the free trial runs out. I think come Feb 9th they'll be getting a really big drop off when people cancel the free trial and wait for 6 or 12 months till there's stuff on there they actually want to see.

Iplayer and 4OD not great comparisons, they are extensions of a UK company and are free too. If they were pay services, and they launched "iplayer USA" and it had lovely content, then it would be comparable. Note that I'm not complaining about Hulu here, or the various US TV station on demand services. Netflix wants the same money from me for less content. A LOT less.

And no, they're not forcing me to join and yes, firstworldproblems, but it's always irritating being told you're getting a great deal only to find out that someone else is paying the same money for something ten times better from the same company simply as a function of where they live.

BTW, what are the legalities or Unblock-US? If I can use it legitimately I might well stick with netflix for access to their US site, but if it's illegal there's not much point really.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 4, 2012