Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any good keyboards for ICS that aren't swiftkey or swype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Dickeye posted:

I really like the stock keyboard but I just recently installed Smart Keyboard on my parent's phones and it's pretty slick.

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003
Here's a tricky way to install Google Wallet on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus from the market:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/02/how-to-install-google-wallet-from-the-market-on-the-verizon-lte-galaxy-nexus/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Codiusprime posted:

I really like the stock keyboard but I just recently installed Smart Keyboard on my parent's phones and it's pretty slick.

I'm just playing around finding one I really love. The stock is nice but I want to see what else there is.

What's that one that's like a rotary dialer but for typing?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Dickeye posted:

I'm just playing around finding one I really love. The stock is nice but I want to see what else there is.

Isn't is like Pen8 or something similar? I also like thumb keyboard.

Edit: 8Pen that's right.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dickeye posted:

8Pen. Its a great idea but kinda clunky and takes forever to get used to.

If you're sure you want to try it though here's a free game that functions as a tutorial.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lelandjs posted:

If you're sure you want to try it though here's a free game that functions as a tutorial.

Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a folder app that plays nicely with Nova Launcher? I had GO Launcher on my previous phone, and liked being able to have as many apps in a folder as I wanted.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

lelandjs posted:

Don't get too used to it during the game, because I think they've remapped a few keys in the actual keyboard.

I thought it was a wonderfully novel idea, but I'm too old to be learning something non-qwerty, I'm afraid. :(

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

Dickeye posted:

How do I match the ICS theme in Widgetsoid?

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/1819186/Ice_Cream_Sandwich

Here are the colour codes for the ICS themes. Adjust your icons and the bottom part of the toggle to match the light blue using custom colour selection.

It'll look like this when you're done:

Steriletom fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 3, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Steriletom posted:

It matched pretty well right off the bat for me. You can change the colors of things, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The PanoPlanet LWP I posted earlier looks nice, but it's a drat battery hog. It even uses battery when not using it at all. I put Phase Beam on a two days ago. I went to check its usage earlier, to not find it listed, but PanoPlanet using 6%. :|

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Steriletom posted:

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/1819186/Ice_Cream_Sandwich

Here are the colour codes for the ICS themes. Adjust your icons and the bottom part of the toggle to match the light blue using custom colour selection.

It'll look like this when you're done:

How did you get the notification background to be anything but gray? My background never changes.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Dickeye posted:

What about SlideIT? I've been using it relatively happily for a while, I've been waiting for Swype to come out official so I can compare it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

az jan jananam posted:

How did you get the notification background to be anything but gray? My background never changes.

Its kind of sticky for me - try toggling between white, custom, and none a few times. Mine will actually no longer go grey (setting it to grey makes the background black) but custom works fine.

Pity there needs to be an icon there (whether its visible or not)

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

az jan jananam posted:

Try to set the alpha level to 100 percent.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

az jan jananam posted:

I've seen some people complain about this. I set the background to none and it becomes transparent. It works on my Galaxy Nexus but when I tried it on my CM9 TouchPad it stayed gray even though I used the same exact settings. I don't know the cause, but it's definitely an issue affecting some people and not others.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I got this e-mail from Dropbox last night. The new beta has auto photo and video uploading built in. The best part is that for every 500MB you upload, it increases your Dropbox limit by 500MB, up to 5GB. I'll be uploading left and right just to get the space, hopefully it's permanent.

quote:

Hi letsgoflyers81,

Even though the holidays have passed, we're really stoked to give you one more present -- a new experimental release! Under the wrapping you'll find a bunch of new toys, including a brand new Camera Upload feature. Here the new stuff:

• Automatically uploads photos and videos in the background using Wi-Fi or a data plan
• 500MB of free space on first photo uploaded automatically
• Upload files of any size (no more 180 MB limit!)
• Support for resuming file uploads when there are network issues
• Various performance improvements & bug fixes

During this beta period, we are also offering additional free space to test automatic uploading of photos and videos. For every 500MB of photos and videos automatically uploaded, you'll receive another 500MB space bonus, up to 5GB total (including the initial 500MB space).

Grab it here:
http://db.tt/4ZL2gCdt

Or scan this QR Code:
http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=8&d=http://db.tt/2F4ZL2gCdt

Check out our forum post at for updates and to let us know what you think!

Happy Dropboxing!
- The Dropbox Android Team

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I got this e-mail from Dropbox last night. The new beta has auto photo and video uploading built in. The best part is that for every 500MB you upload, it increases your Dropbox limit by 500MB, up to 5GB. I'll be uploading left and right just to get the space, hopefully it's permanent.

Thanks for posting this. The upload interface is pretty nice and the app overall is much more responsive.

Edit: Got my space increased too :ssh:

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 3, 2012

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Thanks for this. Up to 4.2 gigs of space now!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
You're welcome. Aaaaand it looks like they have a new desktop with the same new features and will also give up to an extra 5GB. I plan on taking 1080p videos and uploading until I get my free 10GB and then never use auto upload again. :)

http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=52900

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
So I'm a dumbass and accidentally deleted my DCIM\Camera folder on my Galaxy Nexus. I've seen a couple undelete apps in the Market but have not had any luck. Undelete for Root Users says it's not compatible with my device. Hexamob Recovery installs but when it runs it doesn't display properly so I can't actually use it. Does anyone know of anything else that may help?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

letsgoflyers81 posted:

So I'm a dumbass and accidentally deleted my DCIM\Camera folder on my Galaxy Nexus. I've seen a couple undelete apps in the Market but have not had any luck. Undelete for Root Users says it's not compatible with my device. Hexamob Recovery installs but when it runs it doesn't display properly so I can't actually use it. Does anyone know of anything else that may help?

So you need to get all your pictures back basically?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OptimusMatrix posted:

So you need to get all your pictures back basically?

Yeah, which is ironic since I just posted this morning about Dropbox's new auto backup tool but haven't synced the photos and videos I already had.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Yeah, which is ironic since I just posted this morning about Dropbox's new auto backup tool but haven't synced the photos and videos I already had.

You have PM. Think I have a solution for you.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OptimusMatrix posted:

You have PM. Think I have a solution for you.

Got it and replied. Thank you.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

Facebook app got an update today. Claims to be doing push notifications again. Not cool enough to have had any notifications yet. Anyone able to confirm that it works?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Steriletom posted:

Facebook app got an update today.

It did? I don't see an update in the market and I know I haven't updated already.
*edit* Apparently it was yesterday, it must have autoupdated and I wasn't paying attention.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

It did? I don't see an update in the market and I know I haven't updated already.

Are you running the latest Market with ICS? I've noticed that when apps auto update there's only a chance that you'll get a notification for it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Steriletom posted:

Facebook app got an update today. Claims to be doing push notifications again. Not cool enough to have had any notifications yet. Anyone able to confirm that it works?

I got a notification of a message, but when I tapped on it all that happened was the notification disappeared. Galaxy Nexus here.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The FB app has always been terrible...and in fact, I came in here to ask a question about it:

How in the holy gently caress do I view comments on a photo someone uploaded?! A friend uploaded a picture on his wall...I commented on it on my PC yesterday...a few other people also commented on it, and I got a push notification about it on my phone. I tried to see the comments...no dice. All I get is the picture itself...I click on the notification about the comment, straight to the picture...I swipe every which way, I hit menu, and no, no options to see any comments...I go all the way back to my main page, go to friends, go to the friends page, click on the post with the picture, thinking that will let me see comments...nope, again, all I get is just the picture, no way to see the comments.

The gently caress?!

Fake edit: On work PC right now, and they have FB blocked. It's not super-critical, obviously, but it's something that's been bugging me for months and I only just now decided to ask about it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The FB app has always been terrible...and in fact, I came in here to ask a question about it:

How in the holy gently caress do I view comments on a photo someone uploaded?! A friend uploaded a picture on his wall...I commented on it on my PC yesterday...a few other people also commented on it, and I got a push notification about it on my phone. I tried to see the comments...no dice. All I get is the picture itself...I click on the notification about the comment, straight to the picture...I swipe every which way, I hit menu, and no, no options to see any comments...I go all the way back to my main page, go to friends, go to the friends page, click on the post with the picture, thinking that will let me see comments...nope, again, all I get is just the picture, no way to see the comments.

The gently caress?!

Fake edit: On work PC right now, and they have FB blocked. It's not super-critical, obviously, but it's something that's been bugging me for months and I only just now decided to ask about it.

Tap + sign on the post itself and hit comment, it will take you to another page where the photo is thumbnailed and you can view/add comments.

Edit: It's still a piece of poo poo app that I loving loathe. Forcing fine location even when just browsing? Ugh.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Tap + sign on the post itself and hit comment, it will take you to another page where the photo is thumbnailed and you can view/add comments.

How monumentally retarded. That would be like having to hit "reply" in a thread just to see the posts.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrBouvenstein posted:

How monumentally retarded. That would be like having to hit "reply" in a thread just to see the posts.

You can also tap the picture once it's full screen and the little comment/like thing will show up in the bottom right. Easy once you know it's there, but there is absolutely no indication you are supposed to do that.

vvvvvv You might be right, I only discovered it a few weeks ago.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ciabatta posted:

You can also tap the picture once it's full screen and the little comment/like thing will show up in the bottom right.

This I didn't know and I think it's a fairly recent addition. I could be wrong though, I really only use Facebook to be offensive. :v:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This I didn't know and I think it's a fairly recent addition. I could be wrong though, I really only use Facebook to be offensive. :v:

This is true, he does, and it's hilarious.

However, that feature's been around for a while. It's the same way most poo poo works on the iPhone, tape a picture and options come up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You're welcome. Aaaaand it looks like they have a new desktop with the same new features and will also give up to an extra 5GB. I plan on taking 1080p videos and uploading until I get my free 10GB and then never use auto upload again. :)

http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=52900

Desktop and app are the same 5 GB. If you get it from one, you don't get it from the other (but you can probably use both to get to 5).

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Desktop and app are the same 5 GB. If you get it from one, you don't get it from the other (but you can probably use both to get to 5).

Oops, I totally misread a blog post and thought they were separate. Oh well, 5GB free is still better than nothing.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

If you aren't happy with the Facebook app. I would really try FriendCaster. I have the pro version and it's far and away better than the Facebook app. It actually lets you choose the quality and the loction you'd like to upload your photos and a ton of other features.

https://market.android.com/details?id=uk.co.senab.blueNotify&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsInVrLmNvLnNlbmFiLmJsdWVOb3RpZnkiXQ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I tried friend caster for a while but its just drat ugly. Other than that it works fantastically.

• Locked thread