Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Update on that icehockeyworld site. They're legit, I actually know someone that works there. I am not the proud owner of 2 EQ50s terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
That EQ50 is such an awesome deal, and I definitely need a second stick...but I've also only been playing for 8 months or so, so it seems like the stick is kind of above my skill level.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

robcat posted:

That EQ50 is such an awesome deal, and I definitely need a second stick...but I've also only been playing for 8 months or so, so it seems like the stick is kind of above my skill level.

I'm pretty sure you mean "My skill level is such that a high-end stick makes a substantial difference in my play, therefore I must purchase one."

If I hadn't just purchased a Sher-Wood Somethingsomethingsomethingawseome80flex, I would totally grab this deal.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 2, 2012

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I'm pretty sure you mean "My skill level is such that a high-end stick makes a substantial difference in my play, therefore I must purchase one."

If I hadn't just purchased a Sher-Wood Somethingsomethingsomethingawseome80flex, I would totally grab this deal.

You've correctly assumed that I just needed a small amount of convincing. Purchasing!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Everyone who plays some sort of league hockey should play with a high end stick at least once.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just once?
More like 24/7.

High-end sticks own. They make you skate faster too.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just once?
More like 24/7.

High-end sticks own. They make you skate faster too.

Well at the minimum. Its all downhill monetarily from there then haha. I made the jump last season and I wonder now why I waited so long

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Budweiser Canada put together a flash fan mob for a beer league game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qZYqdsYAg&feature=player_embedded

I'm probably one of the poorest guys on my team but I have the nicest sticks, those dudes are doing it wrong. Everyone's got like, X:15s and EQ:20s.

e: Ice Warehouse has the EQ50 sticks for $150 now and I think if you get the 10% member discount it still applies so that's almost as good a deal, there must be something new coming.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 2, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

e: Ice Warehouse has the EQ50 sticks for $150 now and I think if you get the 10% member discount it still applies so that's almost as good a deal, there must be something new coming.

Yeah, we're getting to the time of the year when everyone is trying to unload stock, right? Sales like this should become more common.

(though selection will be pretty lovely by April because no one is renewing stock)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh god, I can get that EQ50 stick in intermediate 60 flex for $119 :gizz:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Phew good thing I ordered from the other place cause it seems like no one has the Hall in 75 for a lefty.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Anyone care to explain the greatness that is the eq50? Better or worse than the s19 (currently on sale for 160 iirc at Perani's)?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

robcat posted:

You've correctly assumed that I just needed a small amount of convincing. Purchasing!

Apologies in advance to your wallet. Once you move to a high-end stick, everything else just kind of...sucks.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

lizardking posted:

Anyone care to explain the greatness that is the eq50? Better or worse than the s19 (currently on sale for 160 iirc at Perani's)?

I never owned a S19 but have an S3. Then I got an EQ30 and the major difference between the stealth and synergy line for me was that the puck felt better on the blade on the eq. Felt like I had better control and the kick point for me felt a little better.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Thufir posted:

Budweiser Canada put together a flash fan mob for a beer league game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qZYqdsYAg&feature=player_embedded

I'm probably one of the poorest guys on my team but I have the nicest sticks, those dudes are doing it wrong. Everyone's got like, X:15s and EQ:20s.

Would've bought from Ice Warehouse but their 100 flex selection was limited...they're the best though, their ground shipping gets to me next day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lizardking posted:

I have played with a variety of sticks at all price points. Recently I have played extensively with an EQ50 and EQ30. I really don't see the reason to spend the extra on the EQ50, even at the lower sale price.

But hockey players love snake oil.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

sellouts posted:

I have played with a variety of sticks at all price points. Recently I have played extensively with an EQ50 and EQ30. I really don't see the reason to spend the extra on the EQ50, even at the lower sale price.

But hockey players love snake oil.

Only reason I bought it was cause I have never had a high end stick. So now I can say I have one woohoo.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Any D2-ish NYC hockey goons looking for a team? I have a new one forming that needs maybe 2 more guys/girls.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Thufir posted:

That's awesome.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yeah, we're getting to the time of the year when everyone is trying to unload stock, right? Sales like this should become more common.

(though selection will be pretty lovely by April because no one is renewing stock)

easton is releasing the mako soon, i assume thats the reason for this current sell off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Picked up a intermediate 65 flex EQ50. Booyah. Thanks for making me spend $120, you assholes.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Thufir posted:

I dunno whats so special about that video every one of my games looks just like that

Thufir
May 19, 2004

toxicsunset posted:

I dunno whats so special about that video every one of my games looks just like that

Must be a bitch to clean up all that confetti every week.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thufir posted:

I am just so happy at this video.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Dangerllama posted:

I am just so happy at this video.

Yeah, me too. I think it's a little extra special because we relate to it more than others.

Sadly, it's going to be mocked and what not during the Super Bowl because it's NOT FOOTBALL, IT'S HOCKEY, NOBODY WATCHES HOCKEY... RARRRRRRRR!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

trilljester posted:

Yeah, me too. I think it's a little extra special because we relate to it more than others.

Sadly, it's going to be mocked and what not during the Super Bowl because it's NOT FOOTBALL, IT'S HOCKEY, NOBODY WATCHES HOCKEY... RARRRRRRRR!

Na, it's not even going to be aired in the US, only Canada.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

One of the teams in my league had about 20 people show up one night and it was the biggest crowd I've ever seen since high school. They were all really drunk too, so I got yelled at a lot.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

One of the teams in my league had about 20 people show up one night and it was the biggest crowd I've ever seen since high school. They were all really drunk too, so I got yelled at a lot.

I once had my wife and a bunch of her roller-derby friends show up to our championship game because they knew I had been coming out to their games a lot.

Of course the first time I got on the ice and they went nuts I proceeded to fall over at the blue-line and let in a goal.

And of course we lost the drat championship game.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Thufir posted:

Na, it's not even going to be aired in the US, only Canada.

Really? Well, I'm not surprised. I imagine Budweiser will do trot their stupid horses out playing football because that's wacky for the Super Bowl.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

e: oh my god im dum

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trilljester posted:

Really? Well, I'm not surprised. I imagine Budweiser will do trot their stupid horses out playing football because that's wacky for the Super Bowl.

Hey, at least we'll finally get something to replace that stupid "3D is dumb here watch people run into their TV" spot they've been running since the last super bowl.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
That would be pretty cool. We get a pretty decent sized crowd for playoffs but that is about it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Thufir posted:

Other than girlfriends who show up for the earlier games, there are regularly nobody in the stands for our game. That was an awesome video. :unsmith:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
So I decided when buying my most recent one piece, that I'd try a whippier one. I usually use a 100 flex Eastons. Got an 85 flex Synergy (s something, I forget). Holy hell, how do people play with this poo poo? I've cut it down an inch or so, like always, and the thing just flops everywhere. I practically can't take slapshots. I literally lose the puck because it bounces around because the stick flexes whenever I do anything. I've been playing forever, and using these stiffer sticks the whole time, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Like, i see people here excited for 60 flex int sticks, for 80s, and I literally just don't get it. I'm a forward, so slapshots aren't THAT big a deal, but my snapshots and wristshots are no better, my release isn't quicker or anything, so I just don't see the advantage to such a whippy stick. So is there something I'm missing here?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

So I decided when buying my most recent one piece, that I'd try a whippier one. I usually use a 100 flex Eastons. Got an 85 flex Synergy (s something, I forget). Holy hell, how do people play with this poo poo? I've cut it down an inch or so, like always, and the thing just flops everywhere. I practically can't take slapshots. I literally lose the puck because it bounces around because the stick flexes whenever I do anything. I've been playing forever, and using these stiffer sticks the whole time, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Like, i see people here excited for 60 flex int sticks, for 80s, and I literally just don't get it. I'm a forward, so slapshots aren't THAT big a deal, but my snapshots and wristshots are no better, my release isn't quicker or anything, so I just don't see the advantage to such a whippy stick. So is there something I'm missing here?

Probably body size/weight. I'm ~150lbs or so; having a 100 flex stick wouldn't do me any good, it'd just be impossible for me to load right or get any kind of decent shot off with. I use 85/87 (bauer) and it seems to be right for me. Any less I'd worry about breaking it and like I said, any more just wouldn't help at all.

edit: I kind of doubt that the stick flexes trying to stickhandle though... they still should take ~85 lbs of force to bend it and it doesn't make sense that you're putting that much force on it stick handing.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 3, 2012

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Probably body size/weight. I'm ~150lbs or so; having a 100 flex stick wouldn't do me any good, it'd just be impossible for me to load right or get any kind of decent shot off with. I use 85/87 (bauer) and it seems to be right for me. Any less I'd worry about breaking it and like I said, any more just wouldn't help at all.

I'm 135. I have an 87 Bauer, that one's fine, but it's been cut down like 2 inches from it's original length.

Look Around You posted:

edit: I kind of doubt that the stick flexes trying to stickhandle though... they still should take ~85 lbs of force to bend it and it doesn't make sense that you're putting that much force on it stick handing.

It's not so much normal stickhandling, it's as soon as I'm under pressure, put weight down to prevent stick lift, the resulting flex sends the puck flying. Also, on trick plays, like the between the legs or bounce of the boards or whatever where you kinda pass the puck to yourself, the puck just flies off. I'm definetely not (intentionally, anyway) putting anywhere near 85 lbs of force in those cases though. E:That said, receiving passes is harder, but to be expected.

e. It's more for the wrist/snap shots that I feel like I'm really missing something, as the whole draw of a whippy stick is supposed to be there, and it's just not, at all. No (visible) increase in power, no increase whatsoever in speed of release, and a slight loss in accuracy (as expected). So basically, I just don't see the benefit.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 3, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's because you're used to a stiffer stick so your technique is built upon that. Once you get used to the lower flex, you'll notice the advantages (and disadvantages) versus your higher flex. However, getting used to it takes time and patience so if it really upsets you then switch back to the flex you're more comfortable with.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Zettace posted:

It's because you're used to a stiffer stick so your technique is built upon that. Once you get used to the lower flex, you'll notice the advantages (and disadvantages) versus your higher flex. However, getting used to it takes time and patience so if it really upsets you then switch back to the flex you're more comfortable with.

I don't know that playing once a week is often enough to develop this technique, though. Like, it took me 2 games to figure out how to take slappers reliably ( lower the bottom hand) but I have to think about it, which isn't an ideal situation because you don't often have that time available in game situations. That said, if I can gain an advantage doing it, great, but I don't see any advantage right now, which sucks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So shoot pucks more than once a week if you really want to develop it? Or keep using your 100 flex?

If you want to get better, there are plenty of ways to do it outside of changing stick flex...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

I don't know that playing once a week is often enough to develop this technique, though. Like, it took me 2 games to figure out how to take slappers reliably ( lower the bottom hand) but I have to think about it, which isn't an ideal situation because you don't often have that time available in game situations. That said, if I can gain an advantage doing it, great, but I don't see any advantage right now, which sucks.

Well I mean you're definitely not going to see an immediate advantage if you're used to a heavy flex and if you don't take time to get used to it. The best solution would be to go to a stick time or two and just mess around with it if you can.

The thing is, at 135, you're almost certainly not going to be able to load up a 100 flex stick enough for your shots to get the most power out of them.

quote:

e. It's more for the wrist/snap shots that I feel like I'm really missing something, as the whole draw of a whippy stick is supposed to be there, and it's just not, at all. No (visible) increase in power, no increase whatsoever in speed of release, and a slight loss in accuracy (as expected). So basically, I just don't see the benefit.

This may be a technique issue then. Softer flexes (well, and composites in general) are able to help you out a lot more if you know how to load them up properly; if you're not getting any flex on your stick then it's not going to do much good. Part of this may be from learning on a stiff flex -- it may have been a lot harder for you to get any flex at all, so it doesn't seem like you would have gotten the chance to learn how to properly load your stick for a shot.

These are all assumptions though since none of us have ever seen you play, and I'm certainly not saying you're a lovely player! (I am not a great player yet myself so it'd be pretty hypocritical if I was going out and saying you suck)