Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Shellfish stock would probably be better with fennel, leek, carrot, celery, a tiny bit of tomato paste, garlic, peppercorn, orange rind, and white wine. If you're not sure what to do and want an adventure, go find Julia Child's bouillabaisse recipe.

Ok, I'll try that when I make the stock. Bouillabaisse sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Edit: That recipe calls for saffron, and I'm not sure if I can get real saffron anywhere around here. Will the fake poo poo work or can it just be omitted?

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Big Centipede posted:

Ok, I'll try that when I make the stock. Bouillabaisse sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Edit: That recipe calls for saffron, and I'm not sure if I can get real saffron anywhere around here. Will the fake poo poo work or can it just be omitted?

Take a look first, it's often behind the counter at some places because of the price for a small amount.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And if you can't find it, it wouldn't hurt to use Mexican saffron in place in that recipe, I don't think.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

How wet should drop dumpling mixture/dough be?

I made stew tonight and the dumpling mixture quickly became a moist dough and not something I could really spoon into the soup. I just tore off pieces and dropped them in. They turned out ok but dry in the middle. The smaller ones seemed to cook best.

Should I add more milk, mix it in slower so it's better integrated, or just make smaller dumplings?

Recipe I used posted:

1 c Flour
2 t Baking Power
1/2 t Salt
1/2 c Milk
2 Tb Oil

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vegan girl bought me some Teff, and now I want to make Injera.

I thought Wiggles' recipe was on the Wiki? I couldn't find it... maybe it got goldmined? Linkage, please.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Squashy Nipples posted:

I thought Wiggles' recipe was on the Wiki? I couldn't find it... maybe it got goldmined? Linkage, please.

I got this one instead of Mr Wiggles'

When I made injera last time I couldn't get the dough to look right until I mixed in some white flour, despite what the site says

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Has anyone ever used "Palermo" brand balsamic vinegar?
I have a coupon to get it for $1.50 for a 17 oz. bottle, I can get up to 6 of them, and I wonder if I should. I guess I could just get one and try it, but if anyone is familiar with the brand...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Very Strange Things posted:

Has anyone ever used "Palermo" brand balsamic vinegar?
I have a coupon to get it for $1.50 for a 17 oz. bottle, I can get up to 6 of them, and I wonder if I should. I guess I could just get one and try it, but if anyone is familiar with the brand...

I can guarantee you the 17oz of balsamic for $1.50 means it's not "good" balsamic. Whether it's good enough for you is a matter of personal taste.

Here's some good balsamic. 3.5 ounces for $35. The difference between the two will be night and day.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

How wet should drop dumpling mixture/dough be?

I made stew tonight and the dumpling mixture quickly became a moist dough and not something I could really spoon into the soup. I just tore off pieces and dropped them in. They turned out ok but dry in the middle. The smaller ones seemed to cook best.

Should I add more milk, mix it in slower so it's better integrated, or just make smaller dumplings?

I use similar proportions and they turn out well so size may be the culprit. I also warm the milk before mixing. Here are the approximate measurements I use for six dumplings:

2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp or a bit more salt
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon fat drippings or butter

I whisk together the dry ingredients then I heat up the milk with the fat in a small pan. Once warm I mix in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until the dough is smooth, kind of like making pate a choux. Let them simmer in the stew for 15-20 minutes.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can guarantee you the 17oz of balsamic for $1.50 means it's not "good" balsamic. Whether it's good enough for you is a matter of personal taste.

Here's some good balsamic. 3.5 ounces for $35. The difference between the two will be night and day.

Let me get this straight. You don't think 9¢/oz. vinegar will be as good as 1000¢/oz. vinegar?

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I think what he's trying to say is "$1.50 for 17oz" isn't really balsamic vinegar. Its White vinegar with grape flavor added. When you go to buy it look in the bottle, can you shake it around like water?

It would probably make a fine substitute for red wine vinegar (albeit even more discoloring) but I wouldn't plan on that sweet syrupy goodness you can expect from actual balsamic. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10133

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Very Strange Things posted:

Let me get this straight. You don't think 9¢/oz. vinegar will be as good as 1000¢/oz. vinegar?

There are something like two types of balsamic and one of them (the expensive one) is made completely differently than the cheap one that is commonly available. I don't know if, among the cheap ones, price really matters that much.... but definitely the two above are completely different.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Gotcha. I was thinking it was more like the difference between a $6 bottle of wine and an $80 bottle -but it sounds like it's the difference between maple syrup and maple-flavored corn syrup.
I do have a small amount of decent balsamic, but I hate to use it; I was hoping to have something "close enough" to use liberally.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There are three levels of balsamic vinegar

There's "balsamic vinegar" (cheap grocery stuff)

There's "balsamic vinegar of Modena" that's made in the correct region but not with the traditional process. It's pretty good and what I use most of the time. It should have some yellow/blue sticker that looks like the Obama logo on it that says it's from a protected region. Although it's not the real stuff it's at least made with some quality control.

Then there's "balsamic vinegar tradizionale" which is the real poo poo. It's aged, it's expensive, and tastes so good that I just sip it straight like a scotch instead of wasting it on my salad.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 2, 2012

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Irish Revenge posted:

Whenever I buy crumbled feta cheese, like President or Athenos, it is always dry. However every time I go to a restaurant and get a salad with feta on it, it is always very moist, almost like cottage cheese, and it tastes 10 times better. What are they doing differently with their feta and how can I get mine to taste like that?

Don't buy it pre-crumbled. If you go to an upmarket grocery store you can probably find either some variety of feta in a block in brine, or this stuff -

http://www.dedrickscheese.com/images/Cheese/MixedMilk/MtVikosFeta.JPG

which is probably my favourite feta.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm making some chili, planning to stick it in the slow cooker tomorrow morning so it's ready for dinner tomorrow evening. Problem is, I'm not a morning person at all, so I want to keep the prep for tomorrow morning as minimal as possible. Ideally it would just be "chuck poo poo into slow cooker, turn on" and nothing else.

Is it an issue at all if I chop my veggies and brown my meat (probably stew beef and sausage) tonight, toss them in the fridge overnight, then just drop them in tomorrow? I honestly can't think of why this would be a bad idea but I'm not a food safety guru, and since I just plan to brown, not fully cook the meat, I'm wondering if there's anything to worry about.

If I want to be REALLY lazy, is it feasible to actually throw everything together in the slow cooker dish tonight, store it in the fridge, then simply move it back to the slow cooker base and turn it on in the morning?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Nibble posted:

I'm making some chili, planning to stick it in the slow cooker tomorrow morning so it's ready for dinner tomorrow evening. Problem is, I'm not a morning person at all, so I want to keep the prep for tomorrow morning as minimal as possible. Ideally it would just be "chuck poo poo into slow cooker, turn on" and nothing else.

Is it an issue at all if I chop my veggies and brown my meat (probably stew beef and sausage) tonight, toss them in the fridge overnight, then just drop them in tomorrow? I honestly can't think of why this would be a bad idea but I'm not a food safety guru, and since I just plan to brown, not fully cook the meat, I'm wondering if there's anything to worry about.

If I want to be REALLY lazy, is it feasible to actually throw everything together in the slow cooker dish tonight, store it in the fridge, then simply move it back to the slow cooker base and turn it on in the morning?

Cook it the night ahead then fridge it and warm it up tomorrow, it will actually taste better than cooking it right the same day.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Squashy Nipples posted:

He posted this recipe/method in the Doro Wat thread.

Sutremaine
Apr 15, 2003
Who ate all the toast?
Is this a decent recipe? I'm getting fed up with spending ages cooking and cleaning up and then doing it all over again the next day because there are never any leftovers. So I decided to make a huge pot of something. Ginger and beans and beef sounds good.

• 300g celery
  • 300g carrots
  • 600g onions
  • 50g ginger
  • ???? shredded beef (pot roasted a 1.3kg brisket and haven't torn it up yet)
  • 750g black eyed beans, or whatever will fit in the pot
  • 1 or 2 cayenne peppers
  • 1 bird eye pepper
  • Some heads of garlic
  • 400g canned plum tomatoes
  • Some oil (using ghee and rapeseed oil)
  • 1 tbsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp asafoetida
  • 2 large dried bay leaves
  • salt and pepper (added as necessary)
  • fish sauce (added as necessary)

1. Chop onions, grind cumin seeds, peel ginger, remove seeds and such from tomatoes, peel and desprout garlic. Put beans in water (hoping to take off surface starch without losing much else).
2. Bloom cumin, turmeric, and asafoetida in hot oil in small pan. Transfer to pot and add onions and bay leaves. Add more oil if necessary.
3. Dice carrots and celery, chop garlic, mince ginger. Add to pot, plus the gooshy bits from the bottom of the pot roast. Drain and rinse the beans and add those.
4. Deseed and devein peppers, cut roughly. Add to pot, and also add the tomatoes. Add water if necessary.
5. Cook until beans are almost done and then add shredded beef.

I'm kind of new to the whole cooking thing. The things I make turn out pretty well, but doing a recipe from scratch is very different from finding a recipe online and tweaking the amounts.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Sutremaine posted:

ginger
shredded beef
black eyed beans
asafoetida
fish sauce

This sounds kind of terrifying me. It looks like you were going in the direction of chili but then added a bunch of disparate ingredients to it.

Sutremaine
Apr 15, 2003
Who ate all the toast?
I made beans that were heavy on the ginger (I like ginger) and beef goes pretty well with those two things. Parents liked the beans as well. The fish sauce is there if I want to add some umami, but I wouldn't expect to be using very much at all. Asafoetida is a 'why not' ingredient, since it cooks into something that tastes a little like onion / garlic and there's plenty of that in there. I guess the asafoetida could be taken out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone have a good jerk chicken recipe? I've had a look at a few online and they all vary by quite a bit

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jose posted:

Does anyone have a good jerk chicken recipe? I've had a look at a few online and they all vary by quite a bit

I found online recipes so inconsistent that I asked my Jamaican step-grandmother. This is my recipe, with which you must play fast and loose. It's not set in stone by any means, and I usually use more or less of each ingredient depending on my mood and who I'm cooking it for.

2 spring onions, chopped
4 chillies, minced
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 chicken legs

Blend all the ingredients together, and rub onto the chicken:

Leave for at least 20m, up to a few hours.

Roast at 180 for 45m.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to use a scotch bonnet I think so I'll only use a single one. Otherwise that looks good thanks. No reason I can't leave it over night right?

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 3, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Good call with the scotch bonnet. If/when I can get my hands on them, I usually use one per two chicken legs, so you're bang on as far as I'm concerned.

There's really no need to leave it overnight, as it's more of a rub than a marinade, but as long as you keep it refrigerated I don't see a problem.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Other than rice can you suggest anything to eat it with?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I usually just eat it with rice and peas, but sometimes I'll make deep fried plantain chips to go with it. The last time it was cooked for me, it was also served with callaloo, but I have no idea how to cook that!

EDIT: Actually, most of the time the only accompaniment I have with it is a bottle of beer.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Going to make some eggs and bacon for breakfast. I went out and bought some 'real' bacon last night, rather than the precooked crap I'm used to eating. Obviously I have to cook it in the pan, so my question is this:

I want to cook two strips or so of bacon in the pan, then drain off the grease and cook the eggs in the same pan for a bit of bacon-y flavor. Is this going to cause any problems? I don't think I've ever used the same pan to cook two things in a row before.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Cowcatcher posted:

Cook it the night ahead then fridge it and warm it up tomorrow, it will actually taste better than cooking it right the same day.

Ended up doing this, started it up before I went to bed, and just now finished it up and parted it into containers for the fridge/freezer. The only problem is it looks and smells delicious but I have to wait til tonight to eat it :smith:

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Tsurupettan posted:

Going to make some eggs and bacon for breakfast. I went out and bought some 'real' bacon last night, rather than the precooked crap I'm used to eating. Obviously I have to cook it in the pan, so my question is this:

I want to cook two strips or so of bacon in the pan, then drain off the grease and cook the eggs in the same pan for a bit of bacon-y flavor. Is this going to cause any problems? I don't think I've ever used the same pan to cook two things in a row before.

That's how I make breakfast. Shouldn't be a problem.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tsurupettan posted:

Not only will this not cause any problems, but this is exactly how you SHOULD be cooking your eggs every single time.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Thanks you two, this was the most delicious breakfast. I love this low carb diet (in moderation). The eggs had a nice bit of bacon-y taste, they cooked extremely fast, and came out perfect. The residual grease also took the place of the bit of butter I'd normally add to make sure things don't stick. Since I've gone on this diet, I've been cooking for myself a lot more. It just feels so rewarding.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks you two, this was the most delicious breakfast. I love this low carb diet (in moderation). The eggs had a nice bit of bacon-y taste, they cooked extremely fast, and came out perfect. The residual grease also took the place of the bit of butter I'd normally add to make sure things don't stick. Since I've gone on this diet, I've been cooking for myself a lot more. It just feels so rewarding.

I usually don't empty any of the bacon grease from the pan. I like to cook the top of the egg by tipping the pan up a little so there is a pool of boiling fat and repeatedly spooning that on top of the egg when I think the bottom is nearly done.
I also save my bacon grease to cook other things in.
When the fat has cooled and is congealed a little I spread it on my toast, then lick it off and throw the toast away except I don't really do that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have a shitload of chicken breasts and was thinking about turning some of them into cold cuts. However I don't have a clue how to cook them in such a way that they can be used that way. I can always just cook them and stick them on bread but I was hoping for something you can properly slice and sandwich up. Help?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a shitload of chicken breasts and was thinking about turning some of them into cold cuts. However I don't have a clue how to cook them in such a way that they can be used that way. I can always just cook them and stick them on bread but I was hoping for something you can properly slice and sandwich up. Help?

Deli "chicken breast" is made by wrapping a log of chicken tightly in plastic wrap/cheesecloth and poaching it, then letting it cool like that before unwrapping. You could try that I guess to see if it turns out how you like.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
Really in the mood for latkes tonight but I'm having trouble thinking of a main dish. Normally I'd pan sear pork chops but the wife isn't crazy about them, and now I'm drawing a blank. Any suggestions?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Midniter posted:

Not only will this not cause any problems, but this is exactly how you SHOULD be cooking your eggs every single time.

And asparagus, and refried beans, and greens, and hamburgers...

My grandma just kept this perpetual pan of bacon grease on the stove all the time. My grandpa died of a heart attack when he was 54.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I had butter the other night that just didn't taste right. It tasted almost minty? But not quite. Ate it anyway because butter is expensive, etc, figured I might've been imagining it as no one else mentioned it (I later found out this was because I was the only one to have eaten it). Just opened up another stick of butter from the same package and immediately noticed the yellow color was slightly off (as had been on the last one), and again there is a distinct weird taste present.

Either someone is playing a wonderfully elaborate joke on me or this butter may have gone bad at some point? I'm confused.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's probably old and picked up flavors from something stored with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's probably old and picked up flavors from something stored with it.

There was some mint ice cream in the freezer that melted a few weeks ago. Guess it must've seeped in. Never thought about that. Memory loss is slightly better than going insane/catastrophically losing my taste for butter/dying.