Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ezzer posted:

Did they ever do anything about the compatability issues with Dungeon Keeper 2 on windows 7? I was pretty peeved when, instead of offering refunds to customers who purchased it or anything, they just quietly removed Win7 from the supported platforms list.

Nope, it's the same mess that the CD ever was. You can get it to run by doing the things you did back then, turn off graphic acceleration, run in Win XP mode, but.. The game suffers from it, and it wasn't exactly a pretty game to begin with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Playing the original Thief a few days after finishing Splinter Cell: Conviction is... weird. I can't get over the fact that guards don't react to lights going out at all.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Conflict: Desert Storm is now on GOG for $5.99.

TheEnigmaticT has said in IRC that "We do have other news coming out tomorrow, though. Which is cool.".

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 2, 2012

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Conflict: Desert Storm now available for $5.99

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Seriously GOG? I remember when it came out and it wasn't any good then.

Oh well, you've already released my favourite game of all time this week, I'll let you off this time :allears:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Anachronox soon hopefully!

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Vastakaiun posted:

Playing the original Thief a few days after finishing Splinter Cell: Conviction is... weird. I can't get over the fact that guards don't react to lights going out at all.

They do initially, especially if they see the light go out. Once a light is out, you're right, they just carry on as normal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

They get a bit more worked up and may even relight them in Thief 2, IIRC.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Red Mundus posted:

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted tips and tweaks for Thief Gold.

I'm having a blast now. I installed that all-in-one fix and notice that the improved graphics made seeing and responding to things easier. I no longer have to squint and question what that polygon mess is and if it can kill me. :allears:

Just one quick question. I'm on the second level (mines) and am not sure how to escape. Do I got back to where I started the level or is there a way out at the top in the barracks? Don't need details, just a quick "go back" or "keep searching the top". Thanks again!

There's a few shortcuts that can help you get out quicker. There's a river in the back of the guard post (with that rotating eye), at the entrance to prison block 3/4. This will lead you straight to level 5 of the mines. Then you can take the elevator down to level 3, where there's a tunnel that takes you straight out of the mines.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Just so you guys know, Conflict: Desert Storm is one of the best 3-4 player multiplayer experiences ever. Never play it single player though.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Blodskur posted:

TheEnigmaticT has said in IRC that "We do have other news coming out tomorrow, though. Which is cool.".
Self quoting, I know, but the news that was meant to be tomorrow was The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour coming soon to GOG.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Blodskur posted:

Self quoting, I know, but the news that was meant to be tomorrow was The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour coming soon to GOG.

I still have PTSD over The 7th Guest with the dreaded microscope puzzle :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Blodskur posted:

Oh hell yes.

I still have my old cd for The 7th Guest. Never did finish it though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
7th Guest is nice, but they already done with the Eidos titles? We only got a single game that wasn't even on Steam before getting this poo poo game today.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Rirse posted:

7th Guest is nice, but they already done with the Eidos titles? We only got a single game that wasn't even on Steam before getting this poo poo game today.

They'll be very slowly releasing these. We've gotta take the good with the bad, unfortunately.

And I know the 7th Guest and 11th hour are poorly designed games, but they're nothing but fond memories for me :)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

They're just announcing the release of these because DotEmu released them today. Still got Eidos titles ahead of us.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Blodskur posted:

They're just announcing the release of these because DotEmu released them today. Still got Eidos titles ahead of us.

Oh okay, I was worry it might be like the Ubi-Soft deal, where GoG got Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time..and nothing for almost a year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Entorwellian posted:

I still have PTSD over The 7th Guest with the dreaded microscope puzzle :(
Also happens to not matter if you beat it or not. It's just for fun. Maybe you get a cutscene, but it doesn't advance the game at all.

Honestly, I would probably still love The 7th Guest, I was a total fanboy, but I've never ever even seen a copy of 11th Hour. I'm excited to give it a go.

I even have the big rear end 7th Guest hint book, which comes with interviews and the original script inside. The script has creepy stuff in it like [SCENE WITH CHILDREN AND WOLVES -- DELETED] in it.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Blodskur posted:

Oh man, so many childhood memories from both of these games. Definitely a day one purchase for me if they fix the graphic issues and include proper general MIDI support. I managed to get both of these games running in DOSBox from my CD copies, but I could never get them to run perfectly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There are official Windows EXEs floating around that were released on Trilobyte's website

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/T7G/T7G-Stats.html

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hahaha

Trilobyte Wiki page posted:

(Trilobyte's fourth released game was) Uncle Henry's Playhouse — a compilation of all the puzzles from The 7th Guest, The 11th Hour, and Clandestiny. It sold 27 copies in the United States, and 127 worldwide.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh man, that's a totally awesome collector's item if I ever saw one.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Saoshyant posted:

Oh man, that's a totally awesome collector's item if I ever saw one.

As I recall, Trilobyte shoved that... thing out the door as a stopgap because they knew they were going under. It's now one of the rarest "major-label" PC games in existence.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Have the problems with Dungeon Keeper II been fixed? I have Vista, so the 7 incompatibility isn't an issue, but I've heard it's a little buggy regardless. The CD version is a pain to get working. I managed it once - perfectly stable, hardware mode too! - but can't for the life of me remember how I managed it.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
So I just bought Ultima 7 and am running it with Exult. I can bump the res to whatever I want, but I read that it causes issues with seeing things you shouldn't and NPC problems. The lowest normal fullscreen is 640x480, which seems tolerable (though 1920x1080 would probably be funny). Should I just stick to the tiny 320x200 that is the default, or how much can I fudge the res here before issues happen?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

SSJ Reeko posted:

So I just bought Ultima 7 and am running it with Exult. I can bump the res to whatever I want, but I read that it causes issues with seeing things you shouldn't and NPC problems. The lowest normal fullscreen is 640x480, which seems tolerable (though 1920x1080 would probably be funny). Should I just stick to the tiny 320x200 that is the default, or how much can I fudge the res here before issues happen?

In Exult you should be able to set both a window size and a game area size. Keep the game area size low but feel free to set the window size to whatever you need and pick a scaler that suits you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dr Snofeld posted:

Have the problems with Dungeon Keeper II been fixed? I have Vista, so the 7 incompatibility isn't an issue, but I've heard it's a little buggy regardless. The CD version is a pain to get working. I managed it once - perfectly stable, hardware mode too! - but can't for the life of me remember how I managed it.
It runs ok with default settings(software rendering) on my netbook, which uses Win 7. I hear hardware mode might be borked still, but I never had a problem with how software mode looked.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Weekend Sale: The Activision Quest games at 50% off per pack. I'm an adventure game fan, but I've heard the Quest games (or the early ones at least) make it really easy to get yourself into no win situations unless you really know what you're doing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Quest games are really just total bullshit to play these days. It's absolutely true. In Kings Quest 2, you cross a bridge too many times, that's it. The bridge collapses and you can't cross over it again. How many chances do you have? Oh, only as many times as you need to cross over the bridge to beat the game. Police Quest was something similar. In the first game, if you didn't walk around your car before you got into it, you died. If you didn't take your gun out of your holster before you shot someone, you died. If you took off your clothes in public, you died.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Quest games are really just total bullshit to play these days.

:rolleyes: Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.
__________________________________________________________/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cemetry Gator posted:

If you didn't take your gun out of your holster before you shot someone, you died.
This sounds both irritating and hilarious.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Obeast posted:

Weekend Sale: The Activision Quest games at 50% off per pack. I'm an adventure game fan, but I've heard the Quest games (or the early ones at least) make it really easy to get yourself into no win situations unless you really know what you're doing.

Yup. In fact, the only pack that's relatively fair here (other than King's Quest 7+8, easy-peasy and not really an adventure game, respectively) is Space Quest 4+5+6. Each one will still kill you as soon as look as you, but unwinnability states are very rare. SQ5 even goes to the trouble of telling you what you missed in BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS before you move to the next area.

And unstable ordnance is the reason they made Danger UXB, anyway.

I guess I ought to clarify: by "unwinnability" I'm talking about doing something that'll lock you out down the line. There are still plenty of timed and situational things that will screw you if you save at the wrong time. "Save early, save often."

Shadley Puffin fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 3, 2012

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Shadley Puffin posted:

Yup. In fact, the only pack that's relatively fair here (other than King's Quest 7+8, easy-peasy and not really an adventure game, respectively) is Space Quest 4+5+6.

The quest for glory series is the other quest series that's comepletely fair. And awesome. And not on GOG despite being the among the best stuff Sierra ever did.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

vmdvr posted:

The quest for glory series is the other quest series that's comepletely fair. And awesome. And not on GOG despite being the among the best stuff Sierra ever did.

Bizarre, that. Vivendi really should have released them instead of half-assing the Leisure Suit Larry collection (any collection without Love for Sail! just isn't a collection at all.)

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

vmdvr posted:

Although they aren't on sale the Gabriel Knight Trilogy (well at least the first two) are fairly good. They are also pretty fair regarding deaths in so far as if you die it's because of something you did at that time rather than loving you over for not saving a random mouse or walking across a bridge too many times. And they have Tim Curry doing a New Orleans accent that is amongst the best in hammy video games voice acting.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Quest games are really just total bullshit to play these days. It's absolutely true. In Kings Quest 2, you cross a bridge too many times, that's it. The bridge collapses and you can't cross over it again. How many chances do you have? Oh, only as many times as you need to cross over the bridge to beat the game. Police Quest was something similar. In the first game, if you didn't walk around your car before you got into it, you died. If you didn't take your gun out of your holster before you shot someone, you died. If you took off your clothes in public, you died.

Wait, people actually tried beating King's Quests games without a walkthrough pffffff, suckers.
Actually it was the 900# for me, sorry mom. :(

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm gonna pass on this sale, the Sierra style adventure games were full of bullshit designed to make the game un-winnable. You clicked on the wrong thing? Death screen. Forgot to pickup a pixel-sized object near the beginning of the game? Sorry, can't go back, you're stuck, gently caress you, here's a death screen. I always preferred the Lucasarts approach to adventure games, where you can't die and screwing around rewards you with funny dialog.

Also, no Anachronox yet? Shame on you GoG! :argh:

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Quest for Glory is such a bitch to get working right on modern systems, I'm not surprised they don't want to tackle it. 3 and 4 especially, god almighty. Things just don't trigger, so you don't even know the game is hosed.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I played (and loved) Starflight on the Sega Genesis. Probably the best space exploration game on any console of the time. Very Star Trek: Original Series-esque. Great graphics and music, too bad GOG only has the 1986 computer version (graphics not quite as good). If it goes for cheap one day I might give it a shot for kicks.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hank Morgan posted:

Although they aren't on sale the Gabriel Knight Trilogy (well at least the first two) are fairly good. They are also pretty fair regarding deaths in so far as if you die it's because of something you did at that time rather than loving you over for not saving a random mouse or walking across a bridge too many times. And they have Tim Curry doing a New Orleans accent that is amongst the best in hammy video games voice acting.

Cat mustache?