Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The more I look at the Straken pics, the metals look like poo poo in them. In real life the transitions are smoother and it looks more worn and less shiney. The lamps blow out hte highlights. Its pretty hard to photograph metal, so whatevs. Model looks better irl :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

PaintVagrant posted:

The more I look at the Straken pics, the metals look like poo poo in them. In real life the transitions are smoother and it looks more worn and less shiney. The lamps blow out hte highlights. Its pretty hard to photograph metal, so whatevs. Model looks better irl :v:

If that model looks better IRL, you better lock it up when you go to sleep.

So he doesn't murder you in the night.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

dexefiend posted:

If that model looks better IRL, you better lock it up when you go to sleep.

So he doesn't murder you in the night.

Protip: Don't lock him up in the cupboard from The Indian in the Cupboard

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Click for table breakingly goodness. Test base coat for my grey knights. I wanted them to come out with a brighter blue then what is there so I may switch up my ink. I used ultramarine, but there was some other prettier brighter blue that I will try. VGC silver with the blue ink. I was going to toss some more ink in it but it really kills the metallic. Thoughts on a first go on a real model that I will have to strip? Ill post another when I get the new ink.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

I just upended my tub of static grass over myself.
there is green poo poo everywhere.

also, nice plastic man PV

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PaintVagrant posted:

:pcgaming: ATTENTION MASTERSLOWPOKE :pcgaming:

I just checked and I'm pretty sure this loving owns.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Right, so I've been all pro metal model all the time for a while now, but I've been putting together these Heavy Gear Arena mechs, and it is making me realize that I'm only doing it out of some deep, innate hatred of the nerve endings in my fingertips. They have wronged me, and I will kill them.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Kommando posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

I just upended my tub of static grass over myself.
there is green poo poo everywhere.

I just got superglue on my pants that I have worn about 4 times.

Dangerous hobby.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

PaintVagrant posted:

:pcgaming: ATTENTION MASTERSLOWPOKE :pcgaming:

I have wanted MSP to play his IG more, and this guy might do it.

I am sure he we all would appreciate a breakdown of the paints used so we can try to poorly replicate these for ourselves.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I am sure he we all would appreciate a breakdown of the paints used so we can try to poorly replicate these for ourselves.

Is it MSP who has the martian catachans?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mt. ORourke posted:

Lancer + Charger

Really nicely done.

Personally, I'd probably go for a slightly deeper shading and shinier finish on the blue parts, what with it being armor and stuff, but it looks very nice already. It looks quite matte in the pictures, how is it in real life?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

This is my workflow.
  • unassembled
  • basecoated
  • 1 colour
  • inked
  • highlights and/or secondary colours
  • blends, drybrushing, sandfill bases and basecoat
  • details and ink bases, matte dullcote.
  • drybrush base, foliage and static grass, gloss highlights

I've finished my Clan Diamond Shark mixed Frontline Star! :feelsgood:

I am so over painting blue.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

dishwasherlove posted:

I just got superglue on my pants that I have worn about 4 times.

Dangerous hobby.

On Tuesday night my small vial of superglue exploded while fixing a Crisis Suit, and somehow the entire stream or projectile glue went straight into my right eye. I frantically flushed my eye under the kitchen sink for an hour while my buddy Google'd "superglue in eye worst case scenario".

It was a rough night. Since I started flushing it with water immediately, I avoided an embarassing trip to the hospital, but it pretty sketchy for almost an entire day.

This hobby sucks.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Kommando posted:

I am so over painting blue.

Paint 3000 points worth of Tau mordian blue and get back to me. Ugh...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Jcam posted:

On Tuesday night my small vial of superglue exploded while fixing a Crisis Suit, and somehow the entire stream or projectile glue went straight into my right eye. I frantically flushed my eye under the kitchen sink for an hour while my buddy Google'd "superglue in eye worst case scenario".

It was a rough night. Since I started flushing it with water immediately, I avoided an embarassing trip to the hospital, but it pretty sketchy for almost an entire day.

This hobby sucks.

um. How is your eye doing? You o.k.?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Jcam posted:

This hobby sucks.
Holy poo poo I always wondered about this. glad to hear that you're ok, or at least retain the use of both eyes

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

KozmoNaut posted:

Really nicely done.

Personally, I'd probably go for a slightly deeper shading and shinier finish on the blue parts, what with it being armor and stuff, but it looks very nice already. It looks quite matte in the pictures, how is it in real life?

The photo kinda washed out the shading, but they are still matte in real life. I like the idea of looking more like armor, but how would I accomplish this?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, uh, Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor in TDA: I'm basically looking at a lot of green stuff sculpting, no?

I mean, normal TDA is too plain, and GK TDA is just wrong, right?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So, uh, Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor in TDA: I'm basically looking at a lot of green stuff sculpting, no?

Does any kit come with Inquisition doodads and logos? Or maybe FW makes Inquisition etched brass?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
FW etched brass is a good call there. That, some vanilla terminator armor, and some appropriate head in place of the helmet would look pretty legit I bet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hrm. Did a lot of funky things and mixes for the flesh, so I cant really post that.

Metal was pig iron (boltgun), badab, vallejo red pigments+alcohol, a little bit of a blueish-black as a shade, highlighted up to mithril with sponge weathering and edge highlihts.

Pants are skorne red, shaded down w black and brown, up with ivory+yellow+orange, glazed back down with some skorne red+bloodstone glazes.

Base is bloodstone, plus a shitload of pigments heaped on top, alcohol washes on top to spread it out, pig iron+devlan+pigments+sponge weathering on the metals.

Laser eye is meredius blue. Boots are umbral umber+ devlan + a few highlights

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I actually just did my inquisitor up in GK TDA armor. That inquisition symbol is literally everywhere on GK these days, so I just went with the pieces with the most inquisition-esque parts I could find. I reasoned that since the guy is running around with a Psycannon, he's using loaner armor specifically for when the inquisition works with the Grey Knights.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jcam posted:

This hobby sucks.

I'm really happy you're okay (I assume), but is water really a good idea for that sort of contingency? I thought water/moisture was what caused cyanoacrylate to harden. :stare:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I assume it would harden and then release from your eyeball.Ouch. Ive rubbed CA glue into my eye before and it sucked, but I just flushed it a ton and it was ok. Just irritated.

I cant imagine squirting the entire bottle into my eye though :stare:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

Right, so I've been all pro metal model all the time for a while now, but I've been putting together these Heavy Gear Arena mechs, and it is making me realize that I'm only doing it out of some deep, innate hatred of the nerve endings in my fingertips. They have wronged me, and I will kill them.

Drilling and pinning every single Chaos Marine in my Iron Warrior army because I used the IW conversion packs made me welcome Finecast based on the idea alone. I'm so over metal.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

What about something like http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/INQUISITOR-LORD-HECTOR-REX-AND-RETINUE.html from FW? It looks like you could replace his shield with a psycannon from the GK terminators easy.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SRM posted:

Drilling and pinning every single Chaos Marine in my Iron Warrior army because I used the IW conversion packs made me welcome Finecast based on the idea alone. I'm so over metal.

I went to the GW grand opening in Cincinnati with Turtle Dad last weekend and we started to look at the Finecast blisters.

We spent about 10 minutes doing it and I don't think we found a single one that wasn't either messed up or had a buttload of flash on it.

EDIT: I also got dragged into a conversation with a guy who seemed like he got sexually aroused whenever his goblins animosity'd, because he associated failed animosity tests to teenage girls fighting.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jcam posted:

This hobby sucks.
You got off lightly, when I tried to wash superglue from my skin when still liquid, it came off very easily... along with my skin, leaving exposed muscles and nerves. One of the worst ideas ever. Hope your eye's OK.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Safety Goggles: $1.99
Eyesight: Priceless.

Alternatively, get one of those flourescent light/magnifier combo things, and let it take the hit for you.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pierzak posted:

You got off lightly, when I tried to wash superglue from my skin when still liquid, it came off very easily... along with my skin, leaving exposed muscles and nerves. One of the worst ideas ever. Hope your eye's OK.

What the gently caress kind of glue were you using? I get super glue on my hands all the time and it comes off fairly easily.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

More importantly, what is wrong with your skin that it would tear down to the muscle, because that is a long way to tear.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did you wash it off with a lawnmower? :psyduck:

Alternately, are your muscles are like 0.1mm under the outer surface of your skin? :confused:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bleach and water look similar, but I think Pierzak now understands the difference.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Maybe it wasn't that serious as it seemed from my post, but I've never had my skin come off that deeply. loving painful too. As to what kind I used - one I never used again. And I've never met with such effect again, not that I tried.

^^^: Yeah. Turns out bleach is not drinkable. At least more than once.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

dexefiend posted:

Safety Goggles: $1.99
Eyesight: Priceless.

Alternatively, get one of those flourescent light/magnifier combo things, and let it take the hit for you.

Yeah, I'm going to be extra careful from now on. My eye is totally fine now, I had to hold it open so it wouldn't glue shut for a few minutes as I was flushing, but as the evening went on it went from really irritated, to irritated, to embarassing and then to fine. I think I got off easy obviously.

It was a tiny little bottle of superglue, the size of a AAA battery. I was holding the tip against the shoulder of a Crisis Suit applying some glue, and it stopped coming out. I gave it a little shake, and then tried to apply the glue again with a little squeeze, and sploosh it splashed off the model (since the tip was right against the model) and sprayed all over my face, mostly in my right eye. In retrospect it is funny. At least the suit looks good now.

Using tweezers to pull off a line of dried-up superglue from the edge of your eyelid is an enlightening experience.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Argh gently caress I am never reading this thread again.

Actually I lie. I am painting a tank blue, and my secondary colour is Vallejo old gold. It's super metallic. I'm not sure what colour to do paint scratches and damage on it - I tried to do silver as though metal showing through the paint but next to the old gold is just made it look like some kindof of bling 70s disco going across the battlefield.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drumstick posted:

What about something like http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/INQUISITOR-LORD-HECTOR-REX-AND-RETINUE.html from FW? It looks like you could replace his shield with a psycannon from the GK terminators easy.

Let me call FW tomorrow and ask if the shield is part of the arm, or is seperate

e: or just do a google search

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 3, 2012

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Thanks PV for the color info.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Only Ordo Malleus Inquisitors can wear TDA :eng101:

Business Gorillas posted:

I went to the GW grand opening in Cincinnati with Turtle Dad last weekend and we started to look at the Finecast blisters.

We spent about 10 minutes doing it and I don't think we found a single one that wasn't either messed up or had a buttload of flash on it.

hosed up details is one thing but flash is not a big deal. Resin has a lot more flash than plastic, and sometimes your hands or even blowing on the mini will remove it.

That's like complaining that burgerking got your sandwich order wrong and/or some sesame seeds were not all still attached to the bun. One is valid and one in unrealistic.

PS: I recommend buying the busted mini then calling GW for a replacement. You keep the busted guy and they send you a new one, free of charge, until you get a satisfactory mini.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Only Ordo Malleus Inquisitors can wear TDA :eng101:

yeah I misspoke. I just want to make 80 point HQs with a psycannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like this, too:

I wouldn't use a leg with the Crux Terminatus, just because he shouldn't have one.

• Locked thread