Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Squarewave is adorable.
Cal is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like we're about to see what it was that got Dirk all bloody.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Wait a minute... does this mean that Dirk can switch between his waking and dreaming selves at will? Or does his dreaming self act independently when he's awake?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It's come up before. Dirk is simultaneously awake in both selves, like Dave was, but is much more aware of it since he's had longer to get used to it. He pretends to be asleep on Derse, most of the time, and the Dersite public does not realize that he isn't.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's been established that dreamselves aren't really the same entities as realselves.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Does anyone know what the deal with certain items disappearing in the dream bedrooms while others stay and some even keep full colour? (like Cal, the hoverboard, etc) Probably not really important but whatever.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
We know from Cal's convoluted prior history that there can be a deal for there to be with that, but not exactly what it is with regard to all these specific objects.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Somehow the Felt Cal riding in on the meteor will end up being the one currently in Dirk's room.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Nate RFB posted:

Somehow the Felt Cal riding in on the meteor will end up being the one currently in Dirk's room.

Dirk can just flash step that fast.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
It's all the same Lil' Cal so it's just a matter of where he is on his timeline

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

El Wombato posted:

It's all the same Lil' Cal so it's just a matter of where he is on his timeline

Actually, assuming all meteor items were duped, as evidence has supported so far, there are now two Cals:
- The one that headed back with B1-Dirk, was cut to pieces, stitched back together by Bro, taken as trophy by Jack Noir, taken to the troll universe, thrown at Robo-Aradia, given a new green suit, used in the ectobiological creation of Doc Scratch, and then hung out with Gamzee.
- The one that headed back with B2-Dirk, and is now hanging out in his room. It's not clear why there's a Derse-Cal here.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bobulus posted:

Actually, assuming all meteor items were duped, as evidence has supported so far, there are now two Cals:
Ever since I rewatched Jack: Ascend, I've had a hard time sticking by that theory.

When Rose sees the MEOW code scrawled on her wall in Derse, the text flickers briefly to GCAT. I suspect there will be another Ectobiology session. The clones themselves might go to B1, because each universe seems connected and the whossname circumstancial spontanious bluh bluh is a huge deal in this story, to the point I'll be really surprised if B2 Jack doesn't lose an eye.

[Edit-stupid tablet keyboard]

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 3, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So, uh, who took that picture on the cover of the Enquiring Carapacian? When? How?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It's come up before. Dirk is simultaneously awake in both selves, like Dave was

wait why didn't I know this

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

So, uh, who took that picture on the cover of the Enquiring Carapacian? When? How?
When is straightforward enough: between Jack stabbing Jane and the Lifey Thing starting up.

Who and How are trickier, but between server-client viewports, exile viewports and Trollian viewports we're pretty used to the idea of all-seeing invisible cameras in Homestuck by now. Or maybe Jack has little cameras in his eyes. It's weird, but I guess it works?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bobulus posted:

- The one that headed back with B1-Dirk, was cut to pieces, stitched back together by Bro, taken as trophy by Jack Noir, taken to the troll universe, thrown at Robo-Aradia, given a new green suit, used in the ectobiological creation of Doc Scratch, and then hung out with Gamzee.
- The one that headed back with B2-Dirk, and is now hanging out in his room. It's not clear why there's a Derse-Cal here.

Dave dreams about Cal because he's pretty scared of him. Dirk dreams about Cal because he thinks Cal is loving awesome.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Andrew just used the previous panel and copy-pasted it with some photoshop filters or something.

I love how, in this comic, this gets to be a totally legit answer. :haw:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Bobulus posted:

This is the most terrifying thing

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Slime posted:

Dave dreams about Cal because he's pretty scared of him. Dirk dreams about Cal because he thinks Cal is loving awesome.

No wonder Dirk has a crush on Jake English.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RickoniX posted:

This is the most terrifying thing

Now imagine this. You know how Roxy has all those mutated cats because she was trying to clone Jaspers via ectobiology?

Imagine that but for Cal.

Lots and lots of mutated Cals.

Slime fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 3, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bell_ posted:

When Rose sees the MEOW code scrawled on her wall in Derse, the text flickers briefly to GCAT.

That's because M, E, O, and W don't mean anything in genetics. G, C, A, and T do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleobase

The whole MEOW transforming into G C A and T is just showing that each of the letters corresponded to an actual nitrogeneous base in DNA. All DNA use certain ordered base pairs of Guanine, Cytosine, Adenine, Thymine, the order being the "code" as it were that determines the outcome.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Zorak posted:

That's because M, E, O, and W don't mean anything in genetics. G, C, A, and T do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleobase

The whole MEOW transforming into G C A and T is just showing that each of the letters corresponded to an actual nitrogeneous base in DNA. All DNA use certain ordered base pairs of Guanine, Cytosine, Adenine, Thymine, the order being the "code" as it were that determines the outcome.
Right, but would you say I'm chasing a red herring if I suspect GCAT went toward making GCAT, as opposed to Bec as we previously believed? Granted, the mountain of evidence seemed to point towards the code being used by DD to make Bec. I was figuring something done with the BARK code will somehow lead to Bec's creation in B1.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bell_ posted:

Right, but would you say I'm chasing a red herring if I suspect GCAT went toward making GCAT, as opposed to Bec as we previously believed? Granted, the mountain of evidence seemed to point towards the code being used by DD to make Bec. I was figuring something done with the BARK code will somehow lead to Bec's creation in B1.

Are you talking about the MEOW code? Because GCAT is actual, real-life genetic sequences.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bell_ posted:

Ever since I rewatched Jack: Ascend, I've had a hard time sticking by that theory.

When Rose sees the MEOW code scrawled on her wall in Derse, the text flickers briefly to GCAT. I suspect there will be another Ectobiology session. The clones themselves might go to B1, because each universe seems connected and the whossname circumstancial spontanious bluh bluh is a huge deal in this story, to the point I'll be really surprised if B2 Jack doesn't lose an eye.

[Edit-stupid tablet keyboard]

There would be no way the new kids and guardians could have the items from pre-scratch if the metoers didnt bifurcate. Remember, Bec wasnt part of John's ecto session anyway. DD created him.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Bell_ posted:

edit: I'm dumb and you said this already in the part I quoted but I'm not going to pretend that I didn't make this post :saddowns:

Yes, because, IIRC, we witnessed the Draconian Dignitary creating Bec using the MEOW code in the EOA4 flash. There was Bec as a puppy and everything, so cross-universe meteor shenanigans are kind of out. And AR, who clearly recognizes Bec's head shape in post-sburb Earth, was there too, so it's tough to claim that it could be taking place in the post-scratch Incipisphere.

In all likelihood, the BARK code is what will create/has created GCat.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Please excuse the following post if it doesn't make any sense; I stayed up too late last night and was then awoken an hour early by a spam text.

So, what's the deal with dreamselves, anyway? Basically it seems that if you, at any point in the future, will play Sburb and create your own game session, then you have a dreamself on an instance of Derse or Prospit (or both), and have had one since your birth (or ectobiological creation). The existence of dreamselves before the game actually comes into the picture seems to suggest that the eventual roster of Sburb players is predestined somehow. What if you don't have a dreamself and you start playing Sburb anyway? Would Paradox Space prevent this from ever occurring via Weird Fate poo poo (eg you'd go down to the EB Games and they'd be all "No, sorry, out of Sburbs; our last shipment was annihilated in a freak lightning storm and some kid with a four-letter name just bought the last one"), or could you possibly start playing but be guaranteed not to make it into the Medium, or what?

Or, is it possible that in no instances does the game ever leave beta, and Skaianet/Crockercorp/whatever polices who gets to play by only letting kids with dreamselves on the beta list?

Or maybe every single person in a Sburb universe has a dreamself, sharing a session with <x> people they are destined to one day meet and become bffsies with, but very few of them are awake?

Finally, how loving dapper must Fedorafreak's dreamself-pajamas be?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bell_ posted:

Yeah no, the GCAT flash was just to indicate that it's a genetic sequence. The code is used to make first guardians of whatever you throw in there with it. Since the MEOW code was thrown in with a shot of Halley, it made puppy Becquerel. I presume in this universe, something will happen with the BARK code and Jaspers to make GCat.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wait, the B2 kids don't have an X of Time.

Does that mean there's no 'beat Mesa' and they wouldn't be able to scratch if they needed to?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Sockser posted:

Wait, the B2 kids don't have an X of Time.

Does that mean there's no 'beat Mesa' and they wouldn't be able to scratch if they needed to?

They do have a beat mesa.

Jade has it at the moment though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

They do have a beat mesa.

Jade has it at the moment though.

No she doesn't, it flew toward Skaia like a piece of garbage when the scratch was initiated, and she had to leave it behind so that the scratch would actually occur (along with Skaia itself, she only took the battlefield) when she went through the fourth wall.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2012

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
What else is there in Skaia besides the battlefield?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Lady of the Beech posted:

That crazy weird spindly checker tentacle stuff. You know. Also bright glowing gradients.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

The clouds that show people visions, among other stuff. It's technically a "dormant crucible of unlimited creative potential" with the battlefield inside.

KoB
May 1, 2009

loquacius posted:

Please excuse the following post if it doesn't make any sense; I stayed up too late last night and was then awoken an hour early by a spam text.

So, what's the deal with dreamselves, anyway? Basically it seems that if you, at any point in the future, will play Sburb and create your own game session, then you have a dreamself on an instance of Derse or Prospit (or both), and have had one since your birth (or ectobiological creation). The existence of dreamselves before the game actually comes into the picture seems to suggest that the eventual roster of Sburb players is predestined somehow. What if you don't have a dreamself and you start playing Sburb anyway? Would Paradox Space prevent this from ever occurring via Weird Fate poo poo (eg you'd go down to the EB Games and they'd be all "No, sorry, out of Sburbs; our last shipment was annihilated in a freak lightning storm and some kid with a four-letter name just bought the last one"), or could you possibly start playing but be guaranteed not to make it into the Medium, or what?

Or, is it possible that in no instances does the game ever leave beta, and Skaianet/Crockercorp/whatever polices who gets to play by only letting kids with dreamselves on the beta list?

Or maybe every single person in a Sburb universe has a dreamself, sharing a session with <x> people they are destined to one day meet and become bffsies with, but very few of them are awake?

Finally, how loving dapper must Fedorafreak's dreamself-pajamas be?

"Coincidental inevitability" is the word Hussie used before I think. I think its just a matter of: the universe "knows" who will make it, therefore they have dreamselves.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
I imagine Fedora Freak is/looks like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Is this strange?

^ Yep basically. Everyone's fate is already sealed by the choices they will make and whatever else will happen to them in the future.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also wasn't it shown/implied in the early acts that other people playing Sburb either failed to enter at all (like dying from a meteor hitting), or if they did their own sessions were doomed from the start?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Put differently, the session is predestined to happen in a certain way, and any differences in the universe that would contradict the predestined elements would split off as Betas and be culled. So all things do happen, but the narrative voice (i.e. what we see) is pulled through this mish-mash along a significantly-predetermined trajectory.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Also wasn't it shown/implied in the early acts that other people playing Sburb either failed to enter at all (like dying from a meteor hitting), or if they did their own sessions were doomed from the start?

Since nobody besides Rose produced a complete walkthrough, I guess that is true.

Does the Furthest Ring connect all sessions/universes?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So basically if you try playing but you're not Destined For Success (as measured by the possession of a dreamself) you're gonna die, but then you would have died from being hit with a meteor anyway. It's all very Calvinist, isn't it?

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think this is a hard rule, though. I like to think that there was at least one other successful session out there which created at least one completely unrelated universe without any meddling from Lord English at all :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Edit: Religious notions of predestination and causality are difficult to apply when actual literal time travel is involved.

Since nobody besides Rose produced a complete walkthrough, I guess that is true.

Does the Furthest Ring connect all sessions/universes?

The furthest ring is beyond time and space, so in that sense it "connects" all universes, but not in a way that's useful for those without high-level Seer powers to help avoid the horrorterrors and also make sure that you return at the right time and place.