Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DashingGentleman posted:

Haha, yeah, "two weeks" is the stock response the CM team give to any question about release dates.
The best part is that when they do decide to release, they barely gives a week's warning. arcee just announced earlier this week that CM 7.2 should happen this weekend. Makes life a bit hard for device maintainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The best part is that when they do decide to release, they barely gives a week's warning. arcee just announced earlier this week that CM 7.2 should happen this weekend. Makes life a bit hard for device maintainers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that CM7 was officially 'stopped' so that devs could work on CM9?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I get the feeling they made that sentiment a bit too early and are having one gently caress of a time getting ICS to run universally and have gone back to wrap up CM7 in the mean time.

Edit: Although, are nightlies even back up yet?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So what's the current must-have stuff if you've recently rooted your phone and flashed it with CM7.1? The OP and the wiki are woefully out of date and I really have no idea what's worth getting now, or at all really.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think you'd have to follow the android app thread really closely for 'must have apps'

I think that the android world moves too fast and the market has exploded to the point where it would probably take a lot more work than what people are willing to do in order to keep the wiki updated.

Anyway, patiently waiting for CM9 for the Incredible. I'd love to find a port of ICS for this phone, but I'm not willing to do the same digging/experimenting/flashing stuff that I was willing to do back when I first got the phone.

I want the features, but I need it to work completely, too.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Looks like MIUI is going to go open source, that's pretty rad.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

Looks like MIUI is going to go open source, that's pretty rad.

Link? That's pretty big news and the single reason I refused to run it.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardiovorax posted:

So what's the current must-have stuff if you've recently rooted your phone and flashed it with CM7.1? The OP and the wiki are woefully out of date and I really have no idea what's worth getting now, or at all really.

Android police does roughly monthly app roundups, including some that are root only. Here's the latest. They also have a best of 2011 list and similar lists for games. Most of them are things you likely won't use, but it is much less of a pain than digging through pages and pages of threads looking for recommendations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

AdFree is pretty nice. EStrong File Explorer will benefit from being able to run with superuser privileges. Titanium Backup is a must. Samba Filesharing is a convenient way to share files (duh).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Link? That's pretty big news and the single reason I refused to run it.

http://phandroid.com/2012/02/03/miui-android-rom-is-being-open-sourced/

Sorry, I read stuff on my work computer then post it on my phone cause SA is blocked.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Codiusprime posted:

http://phandroid.com/2012/02/03/miui-android-rom-is-being-open-sourced/

Sorry, I read stuff on my work computer then post it on my phone cause SA is blocked.

Chrome to phone.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I've got a touchpad with CM9 on it. Its all new to me. I've also got the HP case on it which doubles as a kickstand. The problem I've noticed is that there are a number of apps that only handle landscape mode in one direction, and that direction seems to be opposite that the case uses to prop up.

Is there any way to resolve this? As an example, Angry Birds displays with a 90° ccw rotation and will not display with a clockwise rotation.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^
There should be a CM9 setting to control that.

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Chrome to phone.

Yea, you would think that would work but our IT department has something against Google services and its a miracle when I can when sign in.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

Is there any way to resolve this? As an example, Angry Birds displays with a 90° ccw rotation and will not display with a clockwise rotation.

Don't think CM9 on TP has advanced rotation options yet. This was a CM7 feature and should be added soon. Or maybe I just can't find it.

The HP case props up OK in both landscape orientations but is actually designed to stand up when rotated ccw; with the speaker facing down. The bit of the flap which attaches to the velcro tab will be at a 90deg angle to the device. Give it a go. *quality root discussion*

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Ive been out of the loop for a while now but can someone explain the benefits of being able to install a new kernal over JUST being able to install new ROMs? Im shopping for new phones and I absolutely cannot deal with any more verizon bloatware or motorola blur spun poo poo any more so I want to make sure I have adequate control of my phone to remove all nonsense.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's the same thing, when you flash a new ROM you install a new kernel. Just rooting is already enough to get rid of most carrier bloatware, though.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Cardiovorax posted:

It's the same thing, when you flash a new ROM you install a new kernel. Just rooting is already enough to get rid of most carrier bloatware, though.

Someone in the verizon thread said implied that they were different things because you can install new ROMs on motorola devices but not new kernels. But I guess that explains why trying to install new ROMs on my Droid 2 causes it to hang at boot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

rugbert posted:

Someone in the verizon thread said implied that they were different things because you can install new ROMs on motorola devices but not new kernels. But I guess that explains why trying to install new ROMs on my Droid 2 causes it to hang at boot.

Well, most ROMs do include a kernal, but it's often possible to flash a different kernal, or install a ROM without changing the kernal. You really just have to read up on the specific ROM/kernal combination and/or contact the dev.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
I've got a rooted HTC EVO 4G on Sprint, and Android 2.3.5 just got pushed out to me. I tried updating, but I get the error triangle when I install it. Is it my problem because I decided to root?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

pill for your ills posted:

I've got a rooted HTC EVO 4G on Sprint, and Android 2.3.5 just got pushed out to me. I tried updating, but I get the error triangle when I install it. Is it my problem because I decided to root?

Almost certainly. Poke around XDA for a rooted stock image if you want to update and retain root.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wow, okay, this is new. My touchpad, cm9 0.6, just won't charge while it's plugged in. It just keeps depleting. There haven't been any major changes, pretty much started today. If I boot into webos it'll charge, but as soon as I get into Android it runs down, even with wifi and the screen off. Checked running processes, I don't see anything weird. What the heck?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

DashingGentleman posted:

Don't think CM9 on TP has advanced rotation options yet. This was a CM7 feature and should be added soon. Or maybe I just can't find it.

The HP case props up OK in both landscape orientations but is actually designed to stand up when rotated ccw; with the speaker facing down. The bit of the flap which attaches to the velcro tab will be at a 90deg angle to the device. Give it a go. *quality root discussion*

I figured that out after futzing with it for a bit. Just to keep this on target, the CM7 settings allowed for full rotation? I had been looking and only found the rotation lock for options.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Mr. Powers posted:

I figured that out after futzing with it for a bit. Just to keep this on target, the CM7 settings allowed for full rotation? I had been looking and only found the rotation lock for options.

Indeed. CM7 allowed full rotation via the cyanogenmod settings panel.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I get the feeling they made that sentiment a bit too early and are having one gently caress of a time getting ICS to run universally and have gone back to wrap up CM7 in the mean time.

Edit: Although, are nightlies even back up yet?
Nightlies were supposed to be down until CM9 unless something's changed. (Which is always possible.)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Dear god why did I bother trying to install Virtuous Quattro RC3 (ICS).

~Broken data
~No access to SD card
~Busted GPS
~OS code in the Gapps package
~graphical glitches off the bat in the launcher.

Note that the changelog says that all of these things are working.

What the hell android community. What. The. Hell.

Edit: \/\/\/ Htc Vision (Tmobile G2)

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 5, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
What phone?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Slopehead posted:

Dear god why did I bother trying to install Virtuous Quattro RC3 (ICS).

~Broken data
~No access to SD card
~Busted GPS
~OS code in the Gapps package
~graphical glitches off the bat in the launcher.

Note that the changelog says that all of these things are working.

What the hell android community. What. The. Hell.

What ever dawg sounds like a daily driver to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In the change log for the most recent AOKP milestone (3, I believe), he mentions that Facebook contact sync works now, but I can't figure out how. When I go into accounts and sync, tap on add an account, and then tap on Facebook, nothing happens.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manky posted:

Wow, okay, this is new. My touchpad, cm9 0.6, just won't charge while it's plugged in. It just keeps depleting. There haven't been any major changes, pretty much started today. If I boot into webos it'll charge, but as soon as I get into Android it runs down, even with wifi and the screen off. Checked running processes, I don't see anything weird. What the heck?

This is seriously pissing me off.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Manky posted:

This is seriously pissing me off.

Have you tried a factory reset? What about reflashing CM9?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ciabatta posted:

Have you tried a factory reset? What about reflashing CM9?

Not yet, that's my next step I guess. I just can't figure what changed overnight.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Manky posted:

Not yet, that's my next step I guess. I just can't figure what changed overnight.

You have obviously angered the Android gods, hopefully you have some virgins handy.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Manky posted:

Since it charges fine for WebOS and thus isn't a hardware problem , I can't imagine the problem will persist after reflashing. Whether it develops again is another matter. I haven't heard of this problem in CM9, but I also haven't kept up to date much. It's worth a quick xda/rootzwiki search to see if it's a known problem that might have a known solution, if you don't want to wipe.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Blegh. Tried reflashing, it persisted, tried installed the deprecated charger fix from rootzwiki, the problem persisted and broke everything - that is, infinite com.android.phone stopped working pop ups. Sooo I went and dug up AcmeUninstaller, ran it, deleted a bunch of the poo poo from storage, re-ran AcmeInstaller2, and...

Oh hey the battery is still running down while it's plugged in.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Manky posted:

Blegh. Tried reflashing, it persisted, tried installed the deprecated charger fix from rootzwiki, the problem persisted and broke everything - that is, infinite com.android.phone stopped working pop ups. Sooo I went and dug up AcmeUninstaller, ran it, deleted a bunch of the poo poo from storage, re-ran AcmeInstaller2, and...

Oh hey the battery is still running down while it's plugged in.

Are you plugging it in to high power port? At work, I only have standard half amp ports available and all they can do is slow the flow out of the battery and not reverse it, even when the screen is off.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr. Powers posted:

Are you plugging it in to high power port? At work, I only have standard half amp ports available and all they can do is slow the flow out of the battery and not reverse it, even when the screen is off.

I'm using the HP charger, sooooo...I hope so

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Codiusprime posted:

You have obviously angered the Android gods, hopefully you have some virgins handy.

That's the fastest way to deplete the supply of Android devs.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Codiusprime posted:

What ever dawg sounds like a daily driver to me.

A little update: After posting the above issue log in that place which shall not be named there was a full page of people freaking the hell out saying that none of their phones had this issue and I was a pretentious rear end in a top hat for bringing it up because OBVIOUSLY the Radio interface library had to be updated for connectivity to work.

Except this isn't mentioned anywhere in the OP or in the previous few pages of the thread. Nevermind the whole missing SD card thing.

Way to go people. I keep telling myself I'll never post there but then I do with issues I have and immediately regret it. :shepicide:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What happened to Clockwork MOd free in the market? I want to install a new rom but I need to install clockwork first. I have a premium account but that is all I see I don't see the free version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Manky posted:

I'm using the HP charger, sooooo...I hope so

I'll give it a try here and see if it charges correctly.