Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I will never forgive Orgy for that atrocious Blue Monday cover. That thing is loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

deong posted:

Does Orgy belong in here? They are touring again! and will be in Denver Feb 22. I'm excited! But looking at the wiki page, looks like there was an infight and the original lineup broke up. Not sure if I care.

Shite New Order cover. Slightly embarrassing aesthetic. Bland nu-metal bro-rock with a slightly digital edge. All power to you if you like them, but I shall abstain.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

I will never forgive Orgy for that atrocious Blue Monday cover. That thing is loving terrible.

Do you know what else is terrible? This lovely Soman remix of Blue Monday

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Do you know what else is terrible? This lovely Soman remix of Blue Monday

This sounds like it was made entirely with built-in samples and presets in an old version of Fruity Loops. Nothing against people who actually use Fruity Loops well, because it's a perfectly viable tool if you're not a jerk.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wikipedia Brown posted:

This sounds like it was made entirely with built-in samples and presets in an old version of Fruity Loops. Nothing against people who actually use Fruity Loops well, because it's a perfectly viable tool if you're not a jerk.

It's by Soman, so this is unsurprising really :v:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Goddamn, I normally really like Soman but.. What the hell happened there.

I think the world should agree that Blue Monday is hallowed ground.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The worst part about Orgy's Blue Monday cover back in the day was everyone thinking New Order's version was an Orgy cover.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Whatever, that emogothfag Trent Reznor covered Johnny Cash's Hurt.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I want to make a mix of nothing but industrial sample collages. So far I have:

Greater than One - Now Is the Time
KMFDM - We Must Awaken
Bigod 20 - America

Does anyone know any others?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Furret Basket posted:

Goddamn, I normally really like Soman but.. What the hell happened there.

I think the world should agree that Blue Monday is hallowed ground.

I agree with every word of this.

I DID hear a pretty entertaining electronic cover of "Spiritual Cramp" by Christian Death, but in general, covering old new wave/goth/synthpop stuff should probably be left to Nouvelle Vague.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Pope Guilty posted:

I DID hear a pretty entertaining electronic cover of "Spiritual Cramp" by Christian Death

"It was done by Valor Kand."

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

KMFDM - We Must Awaken
Bigod 20 - America

Skinny Puppy - Rivers
Frontline Assembly - No Tomorrow

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Ministry - You Know What You Are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiW6dCI-j0

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I DID hear a pretty entertaining electronic cover of "Spiritual Cramp" by Christian Death, but in general, covering old new wave/goth/synthpop stuff should probably be left to Nouvelle Vague.

If people are going to cover a track, especially a good track, they should at least rework the thing. Don't just recreate the parts on your crappy VA synth. Which is why the Apoptygma Berzerk cover of Fade to Black is rad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

If people are going to cover a track, especially a good track, they should at least rework the thing. Don't just recreate the parts on your crappy VA synth. Which is why the Apoptygma Berzerk cover of Fade to Black is rad.

The chimes on it add so much!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

KMFDM - We Must Awaken
Bigod 20 - America

Pop Will Eat Itself - The Fuses Have Been Lit

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

KMFDM - We Must Awaken
Bigod 20 - America

Front 242 - "Welcome to Paradise"

Also, I think you could pull a lot of stuff from the Puppy catalog for this.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Welcome To Paradise is probably the most obvious example.

First bands for Infest 2012 announced:

The Klinik
Necro Facility
Dirty K
Spacebuoy

Okee doke.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Necro Facility seem like they might be fun live. Never really listened to them much.

Spacebuoy appear to be the British Synthpop Band With Just One EP appearing this year (I think there's a rule that they have to have one, or something close to that) but since I like synthpop, this is good.

HOLY poo poo THE KLINIK YESSSSSSS. I'm all about sweaty Belgians making electronic music.

I picked up last year's Synapscape release, Traits. I love Synapscape, and have done for about a decade, but the last few releases have definitely ramped up the electro that kind of lurked amidst the harshness of some of the earlier releases. That's not to say it isn't good - it's really good, and is unmistakeably a Synapscape album, there's no one else who sounds anything like them really, but it's very, I'm not sure what the right word is, funky in places. A distorted disco, to use the name of an Asche album, if you will. A couple of tracks sound very much like old Synapscape (Revolving Horse & Rise), but some of the rest are more similar to the way they sound on Act! Also, I have it on good authority that they're nice guys, so you should listen to them.

Revolving Horse

Slowdive

Edit:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Some of the earlier My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult stuff, perhaps?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2012

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Some of the earlier My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult stuff, perhaps?

Daisy Chain 4 Satan. There's all kinds of stuff that fit into a sound collage idea.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

teethgrinder posted:

Whatever, that emogothfag Trent Reznor covered Johnny Cash's Hurt.

Um trent reznor made it first. Johnny Cash just made it better.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

spider_ross.avi posted:

Um trent reznor made it first. Johnny Cash just made it better.

you should check your facts lamer before posting in an INDUSTRIAL THREAD

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My irony detector has been obliterated by spider_ross.avi's remark.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkWo2srE7nY

Leona will make you hurt.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Twiin posted:

you should check your facts lamer before posting in an INDUSTRIAL THREAD

How could NIN have covered Johnny Cash in 1994 when Cash first released Hurt in 2002 on American IV?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_(Nine_Inch_Nails_song)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

spider_ross.avi posted:

How could NIN have covered Johnny Cash in 1994 when Cash first released Hurt in 2002 on American IV?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_(Nine_Inch_Nails_song)

Dude, it was a joke.

You see, because Orgy covered Blue Monday, and... well, don't worry about it.

Maybe you're trolling us by being obtuse, but I have to put a stop to this either way.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
spider_ross has been banging out so many industrial beats he has himself become machine

Also, samples:

Pig - Redman

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I picked up Chrysalide - Don't be Scared, It's About Life after listening to the video posted earlier repeatedly.

It. loving. Rocks.

The second song is "Traders Must Die" -- I thought this was a translation error for "traitors". Nope! It's about killing corrupt bankers and commodities traders for the economic crisis. The whole disk is about exacting revenge on crony capitalism.

The comparisons to Skinny Puppy are pretty apt, too. Lotta crazy key/ tempo/ tone changes.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

boo_radley posted:

I picked up Chrysalide - Don't be Scared, It's About Life after listening to the video posted earlier repeatedly.

It. loving. Rocks.

The second song is "Traders Must Die" -- I thought this was a translation error for "traitors". Nope! It's about killing corrupt bankers and commodities traders for the economic crisis. The whole disk is about exacting revenge on crony capitalism.

The comparisons to Skinny Puppy are pretty apt, too. Lotta crazy key/ tempo/ tone changes.
Agree with this 100%. Get it as soon as you can.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Got my copy of the new Mind.In.A.Box and it rules hard.

Also, Winterkalte at Infest in August - gently caress yes, bring the noise!

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Yeah Winterkalte is the only one in the list sofar to make me go OMG YAY

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

Yeah Winterkalte is the only one in the list sofar to make me go OMG YAY

Winterkalte is one of my all-time most disappointing live electronic acts. I love the CDs but live it's just a boring mishmash that lasts an hour longer than it should.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I want to make a mix of nothing but industrial sample collages

I don't think it's completely instrumental, but "Satanic Panic" by Pig is at least mostly samples. It also kicks major rear end.

afgrunden posted:

a combination of punk and industrial.

First band that comes to mind is Punish Yourself. I don't know much about them but Killing Joke is an obvious influence on them, as well as punk and early 90's industrial metal.

DaveSpillings fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 9, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man, the new m.i.a.b. isn't bad, but there aren't any stand-out tracks. It's great that the front-man has found confidence in his voice au natural (and he's good!), but the songs just don't seem to go anywhere. I might have to start paying attention to the story to appreciate this one.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I haven't seen him mentioned in this thread before, but Henric de la Cour has some pretty decent stuff. Having a full name like Paul Henric Dornonville de La Cour definitely caught my attention too. Here's a collaboration with Agent Side Grinder, who I've also never heard of but drat do they ever sound familiar.

teethgrinder posted:

Man, the new m.i.a.b. isn't bad, but there aren't any stand-out tracks. It's great that the front-man has found confidence in his voice au natural (and he's good!), but the songs just don't seem to go anywhere. I might have to start paying attention to the story to appreciate this one.
Really? I'd already listened to Remember too many times by the time the album was released but I still love it, and Doubt and Unknown are personal favorites. I'm actually a little bit disappointed that he sang naturally so much on the album though. His voice is fantastic, but mixing it together works really well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Control is catching me on this play-through. I agree though, the vocoding was part of the charm prior.

I do think this is a solid album, but it almost takes a prog-rock mentality to appreciate.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

Winterkalte is one of my all-time most disappointing live electronic acts. I love the CDs but live it's just a boring mishmash that lasts an hour longer than it should.

I've never seen them as a headline act, so I guess perhaps having a time-constrained set is beneficial for them. That said, there are several other Hands acts I'd prefer to see.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

Really? I'd already listened to Remember too many times by the time the album was released but I still love it, and Doubt and Unknown are personal favorites. I'm actually a little bit disappointed that he sang naturally so much on the album though. His voice is fantastic, but mixing it together works really well.

Will give this album a shot, but not looking too forward to a lot of m.i.a.b. sans vocoder. The vocoded vocals are probably 90% of the reason I like them.

daccats
Aug 25, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Control is catching me on this play-through. I agree though, the vocoding was part of the charm prior.

I do think this is a solid album, but it almost takes a prog-rock mentality to appreciate.

I totally agree with this; so far I've played Control more than the rest of the album combined.

The non-vocoded vocals threw me off a bit at first, but that doesn't make me dislike those songs. Remember is another stand-out track for me and I don't think that would be the case if it weren't for the non-vocoded parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Cause and Effect is pretty drat good.