Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

I want to cook two strips or so of bacon in the pan, then drain off the grease and cook the eggs in the same pan for a bit of bacon-y flavor. Is this going to cause any problems? I don't think I've ever used the same pan to cook two things in a row before.

The problem is that you will never stop doing this.

Welcome to the fatty club. :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, there's always giving the results a quick rest on a paper towel or 2 before eating.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

dis astranagant posted:

Well, there's always giving the results a quick rest on a slice of toasted sourdough or 2 before eating.

Fixed that for you.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kenning posted:

He posted this recipe/method in the Doro Wat thread.

THANK YOU!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Hello goons.

FoodScienceGoonHelpRequest request = new FoodScienceGoonHelpRequest();
FoodScienceGoonHelpRequest response = new FoodScienceGoonHelpResponse();

request.data.Add(" I made cinnamon ice cream the other day. \n");
request.data.Add(" It came out good. \n");
request.data.Add(" 2cups milk, 2 cups cream, 3/4 cup natural sugar \n");
request.data.Add(" 3-4 cinnamon sticks, broken, 2 tsp ground cinnamon \n");
request.data.Add(" 1 tsp vanilla extract \n");
request.data.Add(" Heated to 165 or so, then cooled and steeped overnight\n");

Ok, that's not fun to type anymore. I've been buried in work.

Anyway, after steeping overnight there was a definite, say, half-cup of snot-like stuff in the cream, at the bottom, with the broken bits of cinnamon in it. I forced it through the sieve and the ice cream was great.

But where did the snotlike stuff come from? I think of snotty textures as mostly protein and water, like eggwhites. Did it come from the milk and cream? What did the cinnamon do to it to get it to gel like that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No idea, but I always strain my cinnamon ice cream base because the cinnamon clumps and gets nasty.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tsurupettan posted:

Going to make some eggs and bacon for breakfast. I went out and bought some 'real' bacon last night, rather than the precooked crap I'm used to eating. Obviously I have to cook it in the pan, so my question is this:
You don't have to cook it in a fry pan. Line a cookie sheet with some aluminium foil (to make the cleanup trivial), lay the strips out flat, put in an oven at 400 or thereabouts until they're done.

I wouldn't gently caress around with this if I was just frying off two rashers or whatever, but if you're making a bacon for a shitload of people it saves a hell of a lot of labour.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you start it in a cold oven, it will lay flatter and not curl up and poo poo. Also you don't have to preheat your oven.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Whenever I'm cooking bacon for anymore than myself, I grill (broil?) it. A few minutes each side and it's done, crispy and delicious.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Throw dat bacon on a cast iron pan, add pancakes for good measure

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pr0k posted:

But where did the snotlike stuff come from? I think of snotty textures as mostly protein and water, like eggwhites. Did it come from the milk and cream? What did the cinnamon do to it to get it to gel like that?
That's what happens when cinnamon is heated to any kind of heat. It gets snotty. It's why any decent Indian recipe with garam masala in will ask you to add it at the end, so as to avoid that snot. It's a disgusting looking thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What if it's mixed into some liquid/semiliquid medium? Will that prevent snot?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Steve Yun posted:

What if it's mixed into some liquid/semiliquid medium? Will that prevent snot?

This page is all about cinnamon snot in coffee, so I'm thinking no.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So what keeps it from snotting up in baking?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you start it in a cold oven, it will lay flatter and not curl up and poo poo. Also you don't have to preheat your oven.

Lay out a layer of parchment paper on your cookie sheet, then lay bacon on top of that, then put a layer of parchment paper on top of the bacon, then another cookie sheet on top of the second layer. Throw that in the oven for perfectly flat bacon.

Works with pancetta disks too.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

CuddleChunks posted:

The problem is that you will never stop doing this.

Welcome to the fatty club. :btroll:

Down almost 15 pounds in about three weeks eating low carb with a reasonable intake. If anything I'm leaving the fatty club. :v: I don't eat bacon every day, though I have been having difficulty figuring out tasty options for breakfast. Aside from the occasional headache/feeling weird as my body enters ketosis I'm doing great. W&W and GWS have become my new favorite boards. I realize a good chunk of that is water weight, but definitely not all of it.

Now for an actual question: I miss loving pasta, I had an idea the other day about using flax to make lasagna noodles, but was told it'd come out like wet cardboard. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have a recommendation for a low carb alternative?

Also, I've been trying to find Shirataki noodles in the Tampa Bay area with zero drat luck. :smith: I want to try using it to replace spaghetti and having spaghetti and meatballs. It will never be the same, but I can try. :argh:

e: I am going to make myself some flax toast via this recipe, though. Looks tasty. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm

e2: vvvv I'm eating a few different vegetables that I actually enjoy to get about 15-20g of carbs a day, plus trace amounts in other foods. I feel really, really great. When I was eating before, I'd regularly feel sick to my stomach, get terribly painful headaches, or just want to sleep.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 4, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Tsurupettan posted:

Aside from the occasional headache/feeling weird as my body enters ketosis I'm doing great.

Eat some bread. Seriously, for your health.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

So what keeps it from snotting up in baking?

Couple of things. For one, in baking, you're doing a gradual increase in heat. Unlike water, whose temperature tends to remain constant until the boiling point is reached (and then the temp skyrockets), with most baking, you're talking a gradual increase in temperature. Hydrogen bonding in water resists temperature (and thereby state) changes. You're going to have jumps in temperature when dealing with a mostly water solution.

In baking, however, the liquid isn't the main player. In fact, most of baking comes from starches gelling. This happens at a steady temperature. Moreover, in baking, you're dealing with stuff that's snotty already (eggs, starch, etc), so a bit more isn't going to hurt anything.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

Tsurupettan posted:

Now for an actual question: I miss loving pasta, I had an idea the other day about using flax to make lasagna noodles, but was told it'd come out like wet cardboard. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have a recommendation for a low carb alternative?

I've heard of people using thinly sliced zucchini in place of lasagna noodles. Also you probably shouldn't flirt with ketogenic diets without a doctor's supervision.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tsurupettan posted:

Also, I've been trying to find Shirataki noodles in the Tampa Bay area with zero drat luck. :smith: I want to try using it to replace spaghetti and having spaghetti and meatballs. It will never be the same, but I can try. :argh:
Publix should carry it. It'd be stocked next to the tofu, in the produce aisle.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

dino. posted:

Publix should carry it. It'd be stocked next to the tofu, in the produce aisle.

I'll have to have another look, I checked in the ethnic foods section. I didn't expect it to be with the tofu! :) I've heard they're kinda chewy/rubbery but... I kind of like chewy/rubbery textures. :blush:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I think those Shiritaki noodles are gross and you shouldn't bother looking for them. It's not just a matter of not being the same, they're just not good and any attempt to make low carb noodles and bread is just going to turn out to be subpar food. Deal with it and eat real food, there are tons of great vegetables and meats and ways to cook them. If you can't live without noodles and bread just eat a small amount. Take dino's perspective on vegan food which focuses on good food that happens to be vegan instead of using fake meats and attempts to replicate meat products in an inferior manner. This same perspective should apply to a diet that minimizes grains and sugars because attempts to make pizza and pasta are going to be plain out inferior just like fake meats.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I use stir-fried green cabbage in place of pasta. It loving rocks and I don't miss pasta one bit.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

When I was living with my parents who are low-carb crazy I would replace zuccini in meals where there would normally be pasta. I wouldn't chop it thin like spaghetti, though, I would slice it at an angle then chop the rounds into three sticks. Fry lightly in oil, with salt and pepper. Delish. Then you can have a portion of that, with chicken and some kind of sauce.

I also loving love zucchini.

Also say goodbye to pasta as anything other than a treat, otherwise you're just going to get a really lovely lasagna. Eat the real thing on a cheat day if you can manage it and make it good.

The low-carb flours that my mom bought tasted like sawdust every time. She'd say it was okay because she put cheese on it... but it was just cheese on sawdust. :(

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

mich posted:

I think those Shiritaki noodles are gross and you shouldn't bother looking for them. It's not just a matter of not being the same, they're just not good and any attempt to make low carb noodles and bread is just going to turn out to be subpar food. Deal with it and eat real food, there are tons of great vegetables and meats and ways to cook them. If you can't live without noodles and bread just eat a small amount. Take dino's perspective on vegan food which focuses on good food that happens to be vegan instead of using fake meats and attempts to replicate meat products in an inferior manner. This same perspective should apply to a diet that minimizes grains and sugars because attempts to make pizza and pasta are going to be plain out inferior just like fake meats.

Shirataki is fine, especially the kind that's not made with tofu. Use it with Asian recipes using Asian sauces and ingredients. Don't just dump some spaghetti sauce and meatballs on it and expect it to be like regular spaghetti, because it isn't, and you will be disappointed. Taken as its own, unique, and special ingredient, it's pretty good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mach420 posted:

Shirataki is fine, especially the kind that's not made with tofu. Use it with Asian recipes using Asian sauces and ingredients. Don't just dump some spaghetti sauce and meatballs on it and expect it to be like regular spaghetti, because it isn't, and you will be disappointed.

This is good advice. Mich, have you considered trying to cook Asian food for once?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

This is good advice. Mich, have you considered trying to cook Asian food for once?

It's great in stir fries, yakisoba style with meats and veggies mixed in.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah Mich quit being a food racist.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mach420 posted:

It's great in stir fries, yakisoba style with meats and veggies mixed in.

I don't know, yakisoba is a pretty Asiany word, I'm not sure that mich is ready to handle cooking Asian food.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

I don't know, yakisoba is a pretty Asiany word, I'm not sure that mich is ready to handle cooking Asian food.

It's pretty scary stuff. Mich had better stick to goulash.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tsurupettan posted:

Spaghetti squash!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Fair enough on using Shiritaki wish Asian ingredients, though I must strongly discourage using them to make bún thịt nướng, bún bò Huế, phở, hủ tiếu, mì xào dòn, bun rieu, bánh canh, mì Quảng, bánh hỏi, or bánh tằm cà ri.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Any recommendations for something interesting to do with grits (besides just eating them as grits I mean)?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations for something interesting to do with grits (besides just eating them as grits I mean)?

I think grits are pretty gross, but grits pancakes are good.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

mich posted:

Fair enough on using Shiritaki wish Asian ingredients, though I must strongly discourage using them to make bún thịt nướng, bún bò Huế, phở, hủ tiếu, mì xào dòn, bun rieu, bánh canh, mì Quảng, bánh hỏi, or bánh tằm cà ri.

I don't understand most of that post. Guess it's I who should expand my horizons.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So I've got some lamb shanks that I wanted to braise, and I'm not quite sure which option to go with. I have both a slow cooker and a new dutch oven (picture below)

I'm still a bit new to using it, at what temperature should I be cooking at and for how long? Should I be doing it pretty low like 200 degrees for 5-6 hours like I would with the slow cooker?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Drink and Fight posted:

I think grits are pretty gross, but grits pancakes are good.

They're not my favorite, but the ones I've got are really good quality and I hate to just toss them. My mom gave them to me and was super excited about them, and I didn't have the heart to tell her I don't like them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dacap posted:

So I've got some lamb shanks that I wanted to braise, and I'm not quite sure which option to go with. I have both a slow cooker and a new dutch oven (picture below)

I'm still a bit new to using it, at what temperature should I be cooking at and for how long? Should I be doing it pretty low like 200 degrees for 5-6 hours like I would with the slow cooker?
You should brown them in that dutch oven first so that they're extraawesome (just heat it up on the stovetop, put a thin layer of neutral oil, and sear on all sides without crowding. 200F for 5-6 hours should do it, though you might need a bit more. Just pull them once they're sufficiently tender.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, I definitely know enough basics to brown them first. I'm just a bit new to cooking with a cast iron pot like this so I'm not too familiar yet with how it retains heat for cooking for a longer period of time. I'll try them at 200 until they're tender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Mach420 posted:

Shirataki is fine, especially the kind that's not made with tofu. Use it with Asian recipes using Asian sauces and ingredients. Don't just dump some spaghetti sauce and meatballs on it and expect it to be like regular spaghetti, because it isn't, and you will be disappointed. Taken as its own, unique, and special ingredient, it's pretty good.

Thanks for the heads up, I was about to do this. Instead, I went simple since I'm not very experienced. I cooked up some stew beef (was at hand) in a pan, with a bit of garlic and ginger. I rinsed the noodles thoroughly to get rid of the fishy smell/taste, then I tossed two beef bouillon cubes into a large pot of water and got it boiling. Boiled the noodles for about nine minutes, then strained it and tossed them on the plate, and added the meat. I was hoping the noodles would get more flavor from the beef broth, but they were a bit plain. Texturally they reminded me of a springy and somewhat strand of spaghetti. I was afraid to add something like soy sauce since I was worried it'd get too salty.

I didn't eat it all due to getting full, so there's some left. Should I add some soy sauce when I eat the rest tomorrow? The meat tasted good, the noodles needed more flavor but were nice texturally.

e: for reference this was the wet tofu shirataki, publix did not have dry non-tofu variants. I will be going to an asian food store soon, though.