Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Chasiubao posted:

So Gamasutra's reporting that EA laid off more of their Burnaby studio. People are saying it's all of Blackbox :sigh: Hope no one was affected :ohdear:

Heres the link to the article for anyone thats interested: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40099/Report_Layoffs_hit_EAs_Vancouver_branch_as_company_makes_digital_shift.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Chasiubao posted:

So Gamasutra's reporting that EA laid off more of their Burnaby studio. People are saying it's all of Blackbox :sigh: Hope no one was affected :ohdear:

So Canada isn't the game dev land of milk and honey we all hear about. Sorry, I'm bitter at reading this after hearing of so many friends planning to move to canada for jobs. :sigh:

Every studio closure I hear about is making me hate the games industry more and more and the more I study business practices the less I ever want to be involved with a Triple A studio. I am so grateful for where I am right now.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Hey, since we're down to a month out, anyone wanna make the GDC meetup thread? The Tuesday Night Chevy's DevGoonMeet has become one of my always-go GDC traditions by now. :)

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Awesome, everyone will have to come by my booth too, I did the design so you can all tell me how ugly it is.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Aliginge posted:

So Canada isn't the game dev land of milk and honey we all hear about. Sorry, I'm bitter at reading this after hearing of so many friends planning to move to canada for jobs. :sigh:

Every studio closure I hear about is making me hate the games industry more and more and the more I study business practices the less I ever want to be involved with a Triple A studio. I am so grateful for where I am right now.

Vancouver has been in decline for years now, and barring some major change in government policy I don't see that changing. Why have a studio in British Columbia when Ontario and Quebec are tripping over themselves to give out a lot more free money?

edit: Ontario gives a tax credit of 40% of labor costs and Quebec 37.5%. BC only gives 17.5%

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 4, 2012

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

Aliginge posted:

Well I would take this particular news with a grain of salt. It seems Black Box is the studio EA always looks to first when it comes time to make cuts. They pretty much get hit with cuts around this time every year, so this is just more buisness as usual. Really sucks for the people working there though, of course.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Jaytan posted:

edit: Ontario gives a tax credit of 40% of labor costs and Quebec 37.5%. BC only gives 17.5%

I didn't know the actual tax rate breaks different from area to area, I guess that weighs into a lot of the corporate flight. Having drat near half of one of your biggest expenditures paid by the government is a hell of a thing.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Hey guys, I'm a first year student studying Illustration and a guy I know who works at EA just offered to help me out with getting a summer internship in Redwood Shores, which kind of blew my mind. So I'm trying to get together a good CV/portfolio to submit and just looking for any advice you all can give.

What little I have so far is here: http://danielwilkes.tumblr.com/

Is this a good way to present stuff? I don't have a ton of nice-looking 3D work--I've been doing mostly traditional art as classwork for the past year, and before that I was working on a big mod where almost everything I did involved multiple people at every stage so that wouldn't be very representative. So I want to do some new 3D work but I don't have a ton of free time. Should I be doubling down on mechanical models or doing some organic stuff to round things out?

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 4, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Isn't there some other GDC-like that rolls around Austin periodically? I keep wanting to do something like this but getting to and staying in San Francisco from the east coast is expensive as gently caress.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

Isn't there some other GDC-like that rolls around Austin periodically? I keep wanting to do something like this but getting to and staying in San Francisco from the east coast is expensive as gently caress.

That would be GDC Austin :haw:

(Which they've since changed to "GDC Online", which blows.)

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Aliginge posted:

Job security (or at least something approaching that) is the greatest "benefit" of all. "Say what? I can... plan my life now?"

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

cgeq posted:

Job security (or at least something approaching that) is the greatest "benefit" of all. "Say what? I can... plan my life now?"
Job security is most typically an illusion, regardless of where you are in the industry. That said, there are places that are more secure than AAA.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Haledjian posted:

Hey guys, I'm a first year student studying Illustration and a guy I know who works at EA just offered to help me out with getting a summer internship in Redwood Shores, which kind of blew my mind. So I'm trying to get together a good CV/portfolio to submit and just looking for any advice you all can give.

My recommendation would be to consolidate all your work onto one page. You don't have enough material yet to justify splitting your site up into three sections, and by having it all on one page you make it easier for any potential employers to see everything you've done all in one go and get a good feeling of your broad range of skills.

Also, reduce the size of your preview images. Your thumbnails aren't much smaller than your full-sized images, so there's no sense having visitors load up two sets of images, and they take up a lot of space. Having smaller thumbnails (no bigger than maybe 200x200px or so) means potential employers can load up your site much faster, so they can get to your material quicker.

As far as content goes, just keep plugging at it. Are you better at mechanical models or organic models? Whichever one is your strong point, focus on that starting out to fill out your portfolio, and work on the other in whatever spare time you can find. Never feel you have to add in stuff to your portfolio just to round it out, because unless it's really strong work it won't be up to snuff. You only want your absolute strongest work in your portfolio; if you're great at environments, but not that great at characters, don't put any characters in just to show you COULD do characters. A mediocre piece will bring down your whole portfolio, as you WILL be judged on your weakest work. If you're a strong games artist, regardless of your portfolio's subject matter, you'll get noticed over artists who have a broad range of mediocre work in their portfolio. So stick to your strengths and present your best work, and work on your weaknesses until you're strong enough in those areas to post that stuff to your portfolio.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Has anyone here ever pitched a game to get on Steam, successful or otherwise? Any tips or pointers for an in-person demo?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Job security is most typically an illusion, regardless of where you are in the industry. That said, there are places that are more secure than AAA.

I saw large layoffs at both companies I've interned at (SOE and Disney Interactive), and every senior artist I've worked with has had a "The time I got laid off" or "The time I had to abandon a sinking ship company" story. If you aren't planning for the when-not-if of losing your job, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I should do a post on how to get food storage and a proper emergency fund going sometime...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

mutata posted:

I should do a post on how to get food storage... sometime...
Haha, aren't you Mormon? ;)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Akuma posted:

Haha, aren't you Mormon? ;)

Indeed, and if this Mormon got laid off, he and his wife would have food for a solid 6 months. :)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I wish I could go and slap some sense in to the younger me, when I think of all the years in my 1st job where I was spending every penny I earned - often on completely pointless poo poo like buying DVDs as soon as they came out. I thought as long as I was paying in to a pension, that was enough saving.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Has anyone here ever pitched a game to get on Steam, successful or otherwise? Any tips or pointers for an in-person demo?

I pitched a game unsuccessfully, and my advice is now part of their website on submitting games. Don't submit anything that's not ready for release. If they reject you once, that game is forever rejected, there are no second chances.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Star Warrior X posted:

I pitched a game unsuccessfully, and my advice is now part of their website on submitting games. Don't submit anything that's not ready for release. If they reject you once, that game is forever rejected, there are no second chances.

Didn't know about that second part. I have a friend who has hopes to get a game on steam when they're ready for release so I'll pass that along to them.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

FreakyZoid posted:

I wish I could go and slap some sense in to the younger me, when I think of all the years in my 1st job where I was spending every penny I earned - often on completely pointless poo poo like buying DVDs as soon as they came out. I thought as long as I was paying in to a pension, that was enough saving.

Hi, this is me right now.

Do I buy this or this? Neither is not an acceptible answer for airsoft awaits! :v:

Seriously though I sahould really start saving so I can go on holiday abroad for once :p

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Aliginge posted:

Do I buy this or this? Neither is not an acceptible answer for airsoft awaits! :v:

Seriously though I sahould really start saving so I can go on holiday abroad for once :p

RPK or neither. :colbert: I spent all my Christmas temp work wages on a DSLR. I am a fool.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I bought a new car the day BEFORE I started my last job :ughh:

I had a really swanky justification and it was more money than I'd ever made before, though, so you see, it was all ok.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

You're crazy! The whole time I've been in the industry I've been married with a child (or, at the beginning, a child imminently on the way) so I've never been in the position to save anything. Save for the future! By the time we're pension age (which will be 90 years old by that point) the government will be throwing those without private, taxable funds into the Great Incinerators to heat the underfloor radiators of the financial elite.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Yeah but I'm single :v:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aliginge posted:

Yeah but I'm single :v:
This does not play into your favour as a 90 year old pensioner. You won't even have kids to mooch off of.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

GetWellGamers posted:

Valve will probably let you visit their offices if you just ask them. If you don't know the person to ask send me a PM. They're all really nice guys and sympathetic. If you don't get accepted the first time, just be persistent. They will reconsider games submitted multiple times.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Lesson to be learned: if you are buying a vehicle and work in the games industry, always always always make sure you get the package with your loan that covers your payments in the event you're laid off. Some financial institutions offer it for free, others have a small monthly fee.

-e- also gently caress the RPK, get the one that looks vaguely like a G36C with a weird magazine well.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 5, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The problem with a pension is you can't dip in to it when the company you work for goes in to administration. You need savings as well, unless you fancy trying to live on jobseeker's allowance.

I once worked with a guy who had built up a "gently caress you" fund. His reasoning being that if the job ever got to the point he couldn't stand it, he had enough cash to resign without having a solid plan worked out on the other side.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I waited for more than a year to buy a car, until I had gotten my H1B permit (Was on OPT before that). Then I was laid off 2 months later. :negative:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Vino posted:

Valve will probably let you visit their offices if you just ask them. If you don't know the person to ask send me a PM. They're all really nice guys and sympathetic. If you don't get accepted the first time, just be persistent. They will reconsider games submitted multiple times.

They definately will. I emailed gabe two years ago asking if I could and their HR rep replied and said sure.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
I bought a new car right before I shipped my first game. things looked like they were going really well, there were talks of me getting a promotion, life was awesome. Two days later the deal for our next game fell through, 3 days after that myself and 90% of the studio were let go. Not my best week.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I just bought a house and had a three months pregnant wife when I got laid off. Let me tell ya, that was balls.

But it all worked out and turned out to be the best thing that happened to my career.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Tired of western civilization? Want to live in a country where it never snows? Would you like to live where the cost of living is super low and you make enough money to save a lot and/or live like a king? Do you love Vietnamese food?

These are the openings at Gameloft Vietnam:

15 x Game Producer
2 x Studio Lead Artist
1 x Lead Game Designer
1 x Game Monetization Manager

And many more but most openings are for locals (ie local salary).

I hear you say "But it's Gameloft" and to this I will retort, "Who cares, nice people work there, you get full benefits, etc. Just move to the other side of the world and enjoy a new life".

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Man, some of you guys had it rough. I got off light when I got laid off; I had an appointment to go sign a 12-month lease that afternoon :sweatdrop:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 18, 2017

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm none of those (I do Community), but is the food REALLY good? Because I got this place down on the corner called I Love Pho that has pretty good Vietnamese food, I'm not sure it can be beat!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Waterbed posted:

Fifteen producers? That seems like an abnormally high number.

From what I heard, they're opening a new office or expanding. I believe those positions are in Da Nang (cool beach city).

dunkman posted:

I'm none of those (I do Community), but is the food REALLY good? Because I got this place down on the corner called I Love Pho that has pretty good Vietnamese food, I'm not sure it can be beat!

That's like saying "Why should I try pizzas when I visit Italy since that Pizza Hut near my place does pretty good ones"! I guarantee you that most old ladies cooking pho on street corners will be better than any Vietnamese restaurant in the US. :)

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Senso posted:

From what I heard, they're opening a new office or expanding. I believe those positions are in Da Nang (cool beach city).

That's like saying "Why should I try pizzas when I visit Italy since that Pizza Hut near my place does pretty good ones"! I guarantee you that most old ladies cooking pho on street corners will be better than any Vietnamese restaurant in the US. :)

I dunno dude, it's pretty hard to beat Pho made by disaffected midwestern teen girls :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I just bought a house and had a three months pregnant wife when I got laid off. Let me tell ya, that was balls.

But it all worked out and turned out to be the best thing that happened to my career.
Pfft, I had an eight months pregnant wife when I got laid off! But it all worked out great, too, since my new employer basically paid me paternity leave before I'd even started, and I'm basically still there now (with a slight hiccup in the middle where I had to leave for six months.)