Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can already tell this is going to be one of those money-sucking hobbies given the wide variety of random accessories you can accumulate and my own penchant for buying stuff I don't need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Can any one help me plan out a decoction/mash schedule?

I'm doing a weizen 50/50 wheat/pils. From random things I've read on the internet, I think I'd like to try a double decoction as follows:

Infuse with ?qt/lb of water to acid rest of 111* for ?minutes
Pull a ?thickness decoction to raise to sacc temps ?* (is 150* good?) for ?minutes
Pull a ?thickness decoction to raise to mashout 168-170* for 10 minutes

I need help filling in the ?s

Also, I'm a little fuzzy on the heating schedule for the actual decoctions themselves, from what I understand each decoction should be raised to ~150* for 10 minutes to achieve some conversion and then raised to boiling temp - is this correct?

Edit: Despite the conventional wisdom, I'm thinking of passing on the protein rest - since it's a weizen I know there's no chance of it getting Krystal clear. Plus per random internet NHC champion, today's malts are so well modified that protein rests are actually bad??

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I can already tell this is going to be one of those money-sucking hobbies given the wide variety of random accessories you can accumulate and my own penchant for buying stuff I don't need.

I know your pain. I've been trying to keep away from amazon and other quick purchase websites but I just keep thinking things like "I DO need a proper thief, I suppose. And it is on sale!".

At the moment I'm bothering the mechanical guys to let me use their equipment so I can just make a chiller!

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

Toebone posted:

That's more than I was looking to spend on something I'm only going to use rarely. I was thinking of putting a quick disconnect on the liquid out line, transferring it over to my keg, and replacing the picnic faucet, but that would probably just get a bunch of oxygen in the beer.

Here's one a little cheaper http://morebeer.com/view_product/16348//Tap_-_Commercial_Sanke_Single_Valve

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

100g of DME per liter for starters right?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Super Rad posted:

Can any one help me plan out a decoction/mash schedule?

I would advise you not skip the protein rest, or the beta-glucanase rest. You might also want to add rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. I personally haven't had a stuck sparge when using up to 7lbs of wheat in a Hef, but the sperglords at the LHBS try to mock me every time.

Here's what I got from il serpente:

il serpente cosmico posted:

Try to keep a quart or two of boiling water handy for when you pull the first decoction--you don't want the temperature from the main mash to drop much from 128, or it'll dick up the body/mouthfeel. Just take the temp after you pull the decoction, readjust to 128F with boiling water, and then leave it alone.

Decoction process:

Add grain and 10 quarts water to mash tun to hit 100*. This is the beta glucanase rest, which will make the mash less gummy, and runoff easier. Allow mash to rest for 15 minutes.

Next, add enough boiling water (usually over 5 quarts) to raise temperature to 128*. This is the protein rest, which will improve body and head retention, as well as increase the efficiency of the mash. Allow mash to rest for 15 minutes.

Now begin the first decoction. Pull about 33-40% of the mash (easily calculated with a ruler)—you want get the thickest part of the mash. Raise the heat of this portion to 149* and allow to rest for 20 minutes for saccharification. Next, heat to 162* to convert most of the remaining starches to dextrins. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Now raise to boiling, stirring often in order to prevent scorching. Try to mark where the water line is, and periodically add water during the boil to maintain the water level. Boil for 30 minutes, and add the entire portion back into the mash tun.

This should have raised the temperature of the entire mash to 149*. If it did not, add some cold water (a little bit goes a long way) to bring the temperature down, or pull some of the mash, add heat, and add it back in to hit the target. Try not to pull too much, or you’ll screw up the diastic power. It’s better to overshoot your temp and adjust down, so plan accordingly when you pull the decoction. Boiling water can also be added to raise the heat. This is the main saccharification rest. Allow the mash to rest for 45 minutes.

Now begin the second decoction. Once again, pull about 40% of the mash (maybe a little bit more), getting the thickest part. Heat to 162* to build dextrins. Rest here for 10-15 minutes. Try to mark where the water line is, and periodically add water during the boil to maintain the water level. Bring to boil once again for 30 minutes, stirring to prevent scorching. Add this back into the mash. The goal this time is to hit 162-168*. If temp is too high, use cold water to correct. If it’s too low, heat a portion of the mash and add it back in (don’t worry about pulling too much, as saccharification is already complete). This is “mash-out” rest. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.

Now begin the sparge. Run off all the liquid from the mash tun into a bucket. Run-off slowly, as the high wheat content can cause problems. After runoff is complete, add the batch sparge water (3.5 gallons @ 175*). Let it sit for a couple minutes, and run off again.

Boil the liquid for a total of at least 90 minutes (this is more important for the hefe, as pilsner malt will create more DMS). Add hops as usual. Cool as usual. Strain into carboy and pitch the yeast. WLP380 seems to do best when pitched at a high rate. Ferment in a cool place, as high temperatures will result in a banana runtz taste.

Effeciency is typically around 77%. OG is typically 1.056. FG is typically 1.013.

Expect the entire process to take nearly 7 hours.

Good luck, I'll be using this decoction schedule this weekend :cheers:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I would think you would want to steep without using the extract. Think about it in terms of dissolving sugar, that's all mashing is, getting the sugars and proteins in the grains to dissolve into the water.
For simplicity: If you dumped table sugar into pure water it would dissolve pretty quickly, but how long would it take to dissolve into syrup?
Granted syrup is an exaggeration, but it's is the principle of it: the more sugar already dissolved, the harder it is to dissolve more. Since your gonna boil the extract anyway, why not wait until then in order to maximize how much you get from the grain.

Docjowles posted:

No that is just steeping grains. Most "specialty grains" don't need to be mashed because the starches have already been converted to sugars as part of the malting process. A mash implies unconverted base malts like pilsner, 2-row/pale, or Munich being held at a specific temp and water:grain ratio in order to let natural enzymes convert their starch to sugar. If your recipe only calls for--for example--crystal malt or dark roasted malts, it's not a mash because no conversion is happening.

To your other question, you can go two ways. Add all the extract after you pull the grain out, heat to boiling and boil 60 min (easiest). Or, add like 1/3 of it and then add the rest at the very end of the boil. Extract beers tend to end up too dark for their style because long boiling darkens the extract. Adding most of it at the very end mitigates this.

Thanks. I've only brewed once and it was more of an assistance. We did a pale ale all grain and it was easy, but I'm still understanding things.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

j3rkstore posted:

I would advise you not skip the protein rest, or the beta-glucanase rest. You might also want to add rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. I personally haven't had a stuck sparge when using up to 7lbs of wheat in a Hef, but the sperglords at the LHBS try to mock me every time.

:words:

Whoa. Thanks for posting this. BeerSmith profile created. I couldn't find this post when it was mentioned earlier. I've watched some videos on decoction mashing and none of them mentioned topping off the water during the boil. Probably why my temps were low the two times I've tried it. I'm still waiting for the results of one attempt (Marzen). The other was massively infected. I can confirm your entire day will be shot. 7 hours is optimistic.

beetlo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 3, 2012

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Prefect Six posted:

100g of DME per liter for starters right?

Yes. Plus some yeast nutrient if you have it, but you're right on the money.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Okay Liquor Barn sucks for item availability and price of equipment (I'm not paying 18USD for a siphon), so anything recommended off NorthernBrewer? I'm thinking of grabbing a Saison kit because I am interested in the style. I guess this BrewSaver shipping is just a flat price so I may as well get some other small stuff.

I wish they did 1-gallon versions of some of these kits though :(

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

j3rkstore posted:

Awesome, thanks!

From what I've been reading I think the beta-glucanase and acid rests have overlapping temperatures or may actually be the same drat thing, so I'll try and hit them both at once.

I'll also take your advice and do a protein rest - I think my LHBS may sell less-modified pilsener which would be neat to use in that case (maybe mixed 50/50 with the german pils).

There's a chance I'll be brewing this tomorrow, but my brewing partner's dad is coming out of physical therapy today so we might have to scrap brewing for this weekend... we'll see.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Greetings, brew thread...I'm trying to get back into brewing after being out of it for a couple years, and thought I'd run a few things by you.

Well...I wasn't really into it, I more or less just assisted a couple friends...IIRC, we did a "partial grain" brew? We used extract for most things, but we did steep some grains beforehand...I'm guessing this was just specialty grains?

Anyway, right now, I just need to get some supplies in order, so I'm wondering what the consensus is on this kit:

Brewing Basics Equipment Kit.

It looks pretty good, and I actually already own a 6-gallon glass carboy (w/stopper and airlock), so I'm all set if I need to do secondary fermentations (or just want two brews going at once...I'm sure I'll eventually get even more fermentation buckets or carboys, but right now one of each is fine.)

I think I might add a bottle dryer

because I remember what a pain in the rear end it was trying to balance a lot of bottles on my dish drainer the last time I brewed.

Anything else? I'll just stick to extract brewing for my first couple of batches to get that down before trying to add grain, but I do intend to one day for all-grain, but that requires more equipment...and it all seems so complicated (I'm referring to that quote from il serpente cosmico...that's so many drat steps! And all that temp management...blargh...)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wondering what the consensus is on this kit:

Looks pretty good to me. I would ditch the sanitizer they include and add some Star-San and maybe some PBW - those are the best sanitizer and cleaner, respectively, on the market. Also save yourself some heartache and get an autosiphon. If you're not wedded to that kit or vendor, I think Northern Brewer has a kit that is really, really good - you might want to check that out.

As to the bottle tree, I don't see the need. With Star-San, no rinse is needed. You can wet the bottles with the prepared solution, let rest a few seconds, drip dry a few seconds, and fill. It's seriously amazing.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
This is a kind of nebulous question, but I guess I'm just uneducated on parts of the process and I'm trying to change that...

So I have my brewpot, and I pour that into, say, a bucket with a spigot. If I don't want a second fermentation, I'll just attach the tubing to the spigot, send to the bottles, and I'm done.

If I want a second fermentation, is there any reason why I can't just go from the first bucket, out of the spigot with tubing attached, into a second fermentation bucket with a spigot, then when I want to bottle, just go out the spigot/tubing into the bottles?

It seems that in the kits which are sold, only one's got a spigot, and there's an auto-siphon (or just a racker/tubing) included. Throwing a tube onto the end of a spigot and letting flow seems like quite an easier way to move the beer, but this is where my lack of education on the process comes in and I turn to the thread for some clarity.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jo3sh posted:

Looks pretty good to me. I would ditch the sanitizer they include and add some Star-San and maybe some PBW - those are the best sanitizer and cleaner, respectively, on the market. Also save yourself some heartache and get an autosiphon. If you're not wedded to that kit or vendor, I think Northern Brewer has a kit that is really, really good - you might want to check that out.

As to the bottle tree, I don't see the need. With Star-San, no rinse is needed. You can wet the bottles with the prepared solution, let rest a few seconds, drip dry a few seconds, and fill. It's seriously amazing.

So true. Starsan makes sanitation a breeze--you just have to be diligent and make sure everything that touches post-boil beer touches starsan first. It is an amazing product.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Five Star Chemicals should give this thread a commission.

Dr. Bouvenstein, this is the kit I was thinking of:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/starter-kits/basic-starter-kit.html
It's a little more than the one you linked but it has all the tweaks I like.

wattershed posted:

It seems that in the kits which are sold, only one's got a spigot, and there's an auto-siphon (or just a racker/tubing) included. Throwing a tube onto the end of a spigot and letting flow seems like quite an easier way to move the beer, but this is where my lack of education on the process comes in and I turn to the thread for some clarity.

The thing I always worried about with spigoted buckets is the sanitation of the spigot during the ferment. Also, the spigot is generally a way up the wall and can't really get all of the beer out and down the hose to the next bucket. None of my buckets have spigots, I just siphon out.

So I would go from an un-spigoted fermenter to a bottling bucket, where the priming syrup gets added, then to bottles. If I were going to a secondary (which I rarely do), I would also use an un-spigoted bucket for that, then to the bottling bucket when I was ready.

Although I never use one, I think the spigot is intended for bottling, when you can disassemble the whole thing, sanitize it, put it together, and bottle pretty much right away.

vvv I have a couple of things I use to measure Star-San concentrate - a children's medicine doser/dropper, and a syringe. Both are calibrated in mL and make it easy to suck up just the amount I want. Not as exact as a pipette, it's true, but good enough.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 3, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

e: ^^ A syringe is a good idea and probably a lot easier to measure with than a pipette/dropper/etc. Don't know why I didn't think of that :v:

I'm going to repost this every single time anybody new gets recommended to buy starsan.

Hypnolobster posted:

Buy some 6ml plastic transfer pipettes, mix 1 gallon at a time with 5.9ml of starsan.

I use about half a gallon of starsan for an entire batch from start to finish. Shaking and using autosiphons to pump it around through tubing is the trick. Soaking just uses tons of the stuff.

Hypnolobster posted:

TSP, Oxyclean Free and Oxalic Acid are pretty much the only cleaners I ever need, and they're all dirt cheap and hilariously effective. I love it.

e: related chemicals tip: For people using StarSan, BUY DISPOSABLE PIPETTES. 3ml or 6ml pipettes let you mix 1 gallon of starsan in moments. 1 gallon needs 5.9ml of star san and you don't have to mix the basically required for accuracy 2.5 gallons/.5oz anymore. I've had a bunch of sterile pipettes for a while but always just used them for taking refractometer samples during brewday. This is a way cooler use.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 3, 2012

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wondering what the consensus is on this kit:

I agree with everything said above (Star San!), though I use Oxyfree to clean everything and it seems fine. Also, the kit is lacking an auto-siphon, and you will need a thermometer for most boil sessions.

quote:

If I want a second fermentation, is there any reason why I can't just go from the first bucket, out of the spigot with tubing attached, into a second fermentation bucket with a spigot, then when I want to bottle, just go out the spigot/tubing into the bottles?

You will get less of the lees in your final product if you rack off of it into your bottling bucket. And if you're using (basically) anything but carb-tabs to carbonate, the siphon is a great way of mixing in your sugar without stirring the beer.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 3, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The first thing I did when I got my kit was fill the 6 gallon glass carboy with water to mark out 5 gallons, discover that glass is slippery when wet, and then drop the full carboy from like 2-3 feet. It didn't break but my wife was ready to throttle me.

Good times.

Jo3sh posted:

As a newb, what I really liked about the NB kit doing my first attempt was that it came with an auto-siphon rather than a regular old racking cane. I had a lot of trouble keeping the siphon going properly when I did it in the homebrewing class. That might be unique to the more expensive NB kit though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 3, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel retarded asking this but where would one buy pipettes (aside from the internet I guess)? Pharmacy?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I feel retarded asking this but where would one buy pipettes (aside from the internet I guess)? Pharmacy?

A laboratory supply store is a good bet, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if your local Target/pharmacy, etc. would have them, although it wouldn't surprise me if they don't actually sell them (i.e. they use them for compounding or otherwise).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Sounds a little crazy, but craft stores sometimes have them. Pharmacy or medical supply store should have syringes, too.

e: I got a gross/144 6ml pipettes off of ebay for like $10 shipped a year or two ago. I made a little holder for the side of my starsan bottles similar to the things that hold the straws on the side of spraycans.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jo3sh posted:

Five Star Chemicals should give this thread a commission.

Dr. Bouvenstein, this is the kit I was thinking of:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/starter-kits/basic-starter-kit.html
It's a little more than the one you linked but it has all the tweaks I like.

Awesome...that looks nice, and thanks for the suggestion of the Star San. And that's only like :10bux: more, but I don't have to get that bottle rack, so overall it's less! :buddy:

Seeing as this brew will be ready in time for spring, I'm thinking a wheat brew...

I'm wondering...if I either sanitize a pot lid for my boiling vessel, or put the lid on for the last 15 minutes or so, can I then just stick my wort outside in the cold, cold February air to chill? I don't want to invest in a wort cooler just yet, and I have a small sink that wouldn't hold much cold water around the vessel anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awesome...that looks nice, and thanks for the suggestion of the Star San. And that's only like :10bux: more, but I don't have to get that bottle rack, so overall it's less! :buddy:

Seeing as this brew will be ready in time for spring, I'm thinking a wheat brew...

I'm wondering...if I either sanitize a pot lid for my boiling vessel, or put the lid on for the last 15 minutes or so, can I then just stick my wort outside in the cold, cold February air to chill? I don't want to invest in a wort cooler just yet, and I have a small sink that wouldn't hold much cold water around the vessel anyway.

You can use the bathtub I imagine.

I don't think air would be a very good chilling method since it won't conduct heat all that well since it's far less dense than water, but that's just my vague understanding of physics. I've also been told very emphatically not to boil with the lid on too.

In any case, I've never heard of anyone cooling wort with just cold air.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i use a pretty small sink to chill my brewpot.

if i had a backyard i could throw it in a snow bank, but because heat rises, the bottom liquid would get cold while the rest of the vessel was still steaming hot.

i just use cold water + ice in my small sink and take advantage of the fact that ice floats. i have to change the water and add more ice a few times.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mewse posted:

if i had a backyard i could throw it in a snow bank, but because heat rises, the bottom liquid would get cold while the rest of the vessel was still steaming hot.

i just use cold water + ice in my small sink and take advantage of the fact that ice floats. i have to change the water and add more ice a few times.

The bigger problem is that snow banks have a tendency to insulate because the snow touching the sides would melt away and leave an air gap in between the snow and the pot. It's the same principle as an igloo.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Angry Grimace posted:

The bigger problem is that snow banks have a tendency to insulate because the snow touching the sides would melt away and leave an air gap in between the snow and the pot. It's the same principle as an igloo.

Seconded. In my experience, snow banks don't work. Using snow in a sink/tub of water is a different story though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

You can use the bathtub I imagine.

Awww, but that's all the way upstairs...:saddowns:

Ok, point taken...supplies are ordered, now to wait an agonizing week for it to arrive :negative:
then I can brew! :woop:

Then an agonizing two weeks to ferment :negative:
then bottling day! :woop:

Then a couple more weeks :negative:
then I can drink it! :woop: :cheers: :woop:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I've also been told very emphatically not to boil with the lid on too.

From How to Brew:

John Palmer posted:

Once you achieve a boil, only partially cover the pot, if at all. Why? Because in wort there are sulfur compounds that evolve and boil off. If they aren't removed during the boil, the can form dimethyl sulfide which contributes a cooked cabbage or corn-like flavor to the beer. If the cover is left on the pot, or left on such that the condensate from the lid can drip back in, then these flavors will have a much greater chance of showing up in the finished beer.

There's more detail on cooling too, but I think you want the lid on while cooling to prevent contamination.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

then bottling day! :smithicide:

Fixed. Joking, but bottling gets pretty tedious after a few batches. Start saving for that kegerator ;)

And yeah boiling with your pot covered is a no-no. Besides DMS formation, it also causes huge, horrible boilovers. Ask me how I know!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I'd suggest using at least one of those lag periods to brew the next batch. It really really sucks to want more homebrew and realize that you are weeks away at best.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Bottle trees are great for cleaning bottles in big batches. I do an oxyclean soak, scrub the labels off/brush out any deposits, rinse, then put them on the tree to dry so I can get them in cases without ruining the bottoms with dampness and prevent water from sticking around in the bottoms. I usually do about 50-60 at a time, so drying them any other way would be impossible.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

mewse posted:

how long does it take to cool down your batch using the sink and water and ice method?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

chiz posted:

how long does it take to cool down your batch using the sink and water and ice method?

I can get ~3 gallons from boiling to less than 100F in less than 20 minutes. Giving the wort and the ice bath a stir (a very gentle stir for the wort, and with a sanitized stirring device) every few minutes makes a big difference.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Docjowles posted:

Fixed. Joking, but bottling gets pretty tedious after a few batches. Start saving for that kegerator ;)

I don't know about that. I mean, I didn't start brewing because I value my free time.

mewse
May 2, 2006

chiz posted:

half hour

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

mewse posted:

half hour

Can take less time if you add salt to the ice bath. :science:

I prep my ice bath with water, salt, then I dunk the whole pot in there. I make sure that the water doesn't go over the top of the pot. Works everytime, about 15 minutes.

It'll work until I get a chiller.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Can take less time if you add salt to the ice bath. :science:

I prep my ice bath with water, salt, then I dunk the whole pot in there. I make sure that the water doesn't go over the top of the pot. Works everytime, about 15 minutes.

It'll work until I get a chiller.

Or do both and cut in half. Boil to 65 in less than ten with a huge ice bath and a wort chiller.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

indigi posted:

Bottle trees are great for cleaning bottles in big batches. I do an oxyclean soak, scrub the labels off/brush out any deposits, rinse, then put them on the tree to dry so I can get them in cases without ruining the bottoms with dampness and prevent water from sticking around in the bottoms. I usually do about 50-60 at a time, so drying them any other way would be impossible.

Yeah, this is the way to go. Cleaning bottles was a horrible ordeal before I bucked up for a bottle tree.

Now the night or a few nights before bottling day I soak, let them dry 50 at a time overnight on the tree, then case them back up.

Then on bottling day I spray the tree down with star-san just to make sure all the pegs are safe, dunk every bottle in a bucket of star-san and load up on the tree, and then put the tree next to my bottling bucket so I can grab them off when I fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I never had an issue cleaning bottles. Each time I would pour a beer, I would immediately rinse the bottle until it no longer smelled like beer, and let it dry in the dish drainer. I would move them to a case next day. On bottling day, each one got a dunk in sanitizer, drain for 30s, and fill and cap.

Any bottles that did not pass inspection on bottling day (gunk, cracks) just got discarded. Cleaning bottles is a PITA, and there's no need to put in the effort when you have enough.