Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DreadCthulhu posted:

Chiming in for my Realforce 87U. Been using it for half a year now, lugging it in my bag to work and back every single day. As someone who's been typing on a keyboard for the past 20+ years for 8-16 hours a day, I had issues with pain in my pinky finger. Switching to topre with different sensitivity levels really helped. I also moved CTRL to CAPS and it made it so I don't have to stretch my pinky any longer, that really helped as well.

Using any other keyboard is really depressing right now, you just can't go back. I really hope this thing never dies on me, I'm terrified of having to pay another 350 bucks...

I wish the windows ergonomic 4000 came in weighed topre, that'd be pure bliss, but apparently the only split topre keyboard out there has to be imported from Japan for over 1000 bucks :|

For that kind of money you could start thinking about a flight to Japan to buy keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Realforce is built like a tank, it'll last forever.

The keycaps, however, will not.
$100 for a set. PBT letters and modifiers, ABS spacebar. :(

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Hey check out this ancient clickety-rear end keyboard from before people figured out you only need 1 set of function keys! Found it at the local mom-n-pop for 10bux.

Its' got a pretty sturdy steel frame, and feels nice as hell to type on. Little on the noisy side though, and it really hogs the desk space.

According to a booklet that came with it this business behind the logo panel lets you program in macros, or swap around the position of various keys, or even do Dvorak if that's your thing. Also apparently it's got full n-key rollover, which seems a little odd cause it was probably built like a decade before "gaming keyboards" started to even be a thing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The only reason nkro is a thing for "gaming" is because most people don't type fast enough for genuine key rollover to matter. Once you get there it is beyond frustrating to type on the majority of rubber dome keyboards out there. It more than doubles my error rate. It's also purely a cost cutting thing, and the amount of cost it cuts is so negligible that it blows my mind it ever became a standard on any keyboard that costs more than $10-$12.

nkey is kind of misleading in itself. If a mechanical can only do 6kro or 4kro but every combination of keys registers it's effectively the same unless you are playing a game that requires you play twister with both of your hands. I haven't seen that game, but someone should make one to troll people who don't have nkro keyboards.

A keyboard like that having nkro means it was made by people who weren't cutting corners.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Sam Hall posted:

Hey check out this ancient clickety-rear end keyboard from before people figured out you only need 1 set of function keys! Found it at the local mom-n-pop for 10bux.

[tmg]http://i.imgur.com/MGp93m.jpg[/timg]

Its' got a pretty sturdy steel frame, and feels nice as hell to type on. Little on the noisy side though, and it really hogs the desk space.

[tmg]http://i.imgur.com/06gfjm.jpg[/timg]

According to a booklet that came with it this business behind the logo panel lets you program in macros, or swap around the position of various keys, or even do Dvorak if that's your thing. Also apparently it's got full n-key rollover, which seems a little odd cause it was probably built like a decade before "gaming keyboards" started to even be a thing.

It uses complicated white alps. Grats.
Apparently people on geekhack have tested it as nkro as well. Not sure how the antighosting is though.

Cost cutting for nkro is ridiculous. It's really not expensive to add the feature. The easiest way is when making the matrix, you add a diode in series to every key.
Of course, most companies, namely Logitech and Razer (who advertise their products as being the absolute best thing ever for gamers) don't do that because they're cheap.
There are other ways too; Microsoft has done that with the X4 sidewinder, and that is not an expensive keyboard either. NKRO over usb.

His northgate was made when people actually cared about their products. The only other notable keyboard I can think of that is from that era and is NKRO is the IBM model F.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That keyboard looks awesome apart from the tall Enter. I notice it even has a split + key on the numpad which I've never seen on a PC keyboard before. I always miss that coming from a Mac background.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have a keyboard from the same manufacturer (an Omnikey Ultra), but instead of the insert and arrow key blocks it's got a whole middle block with arrows and those functions mixed in (including the OMNI key in the middle). My camera's doing this whole fuzzy focus thing so this picture is somewhat lovely but you get the idea.

It's heavy as hell and I liked having SF keys and an F keys block on the left back when I played Ultima Online (~10 years ago) for the extra macros. I like the switches and the colored Esc, Shift, Ctrl, SysRq and Break, but unfortunately n and 0 make double keypresses so I stopped using it years ago. I haven't thought of it in a while but I just pulled it off a dusty shelf to take the picture when I saw your post.

Now that it's years later and there's a large online mechanical keyboard community, maybe I should look into fixing it up, though I don't know if I'd have to find 20 year old switches or what since it's from 1991.

e: I even found the baggy from the retail box with extra caps lock and control keys. I guess it was so you could swap them since they're angled for different rows, and it even came with a "Northgate Computer Systems, Inc." keycap puller. Twenty years ago was a good time for mechanical keyboards I guess. Camera status: still lovely.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 4, 2012

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Rexxed posted:

I have a keyboard from the same manufacturer (an Omnikey Ultra), but instead of the insert and arrow key blocks it's got a whole middle block with arrows and those functions mixed in (including the OMNI key in the middle). My camera's doing this whole fuzzy focus thing so this picture is somewhat lovely but you get the idea.

Holy gently caress that is a crazy layout.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Rexxed posted:

[tig]http://i.imgur.com/BBUm8.jpg[/timg]

It's heavy as hell and I liked having SF keys and an F keys block on the left back when I played Ultima Online (~10 years ago) for the extra macros. I like the switches and the colored Esc, Shift, Ctrl, SysRq and Break, but unfortunately n and 0 make double keypresses so I stopped using it years ago. I haven't thought of it in a while but I just pulled it off a dusty shelf to take the picture when I saw your post.

Now that it's years later and there's a large online mechanical keyboard community, maybe I should look into fixing it up, though I don't know if I'd have to find 20 year old switches or what since it's from 1991.

They use standard white complicated alps switches, which are quite easy to find. Double pressing might not be from the switches malfunctioning, just being dirty. There's a guide on opening up alps switches on geekhack somewhere. If not, replacement omnikey ultra's are very inexpensive (I've seen them for $20)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

jwoven posted:

They use standard white complicated alps switches, which are quite easy to find. Double pressing might not be from the switches malfunctioning, just being dirty. There's a guide on opening up alps switches on geekhack somewhere. If not, replacement omnikey ultra's are very inexpensive (I've seen them for $20)

Good to know, maybe I'll look into it. I've gotten to love my Unicomp and Model M's since that one stopped being useful on my primary PC, so the omnikey feels light in comparison now, but it's still very nice. Plus, you never know when you'll need to hit OMNI, and I'll be one of the only ones who can :smugdog:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Rexxed posted:

Yay! Northgate love!

I have two Omnikey 101's with Windows keys (like this: http://i.imgur.com/hzwyd.jpg), one at home and one at work, and both drive everyone crazy with their noise. But they are awesome, the tactile feel is hard to beat.

The guy I bought my keyboards from, Bob Tibbets, also does repairs if you're interested:

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

I think his website was first designed when your keyboard was made but he was responsive and delivered what he promised.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Are there any big box retail stores that carry mechanical keyboards (specifically around Rochester, NY)? I wish I could try the different switches before committing to a set.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ehnus posted:

Yay! Northgate love!

I have two Omnikey 101's with Windows keys (like this: http://i.imgur.com/hzwyd.jpg), one at home and one at work, and both drive everyone crazy with their noise. But they are awesome, the tactile feel is hard to beat.

The guy I bought my keyboards from, Bob Tibbets, also does repairs if you're interested:

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

I think his website was first designed when your keyboard was made but he was responsive and delivered what he promised.

I looked at his site, and I would definitely think about it if I wanted it done professionally. I switched over to the Unicomp and IBM Model M's about 8 or 10 years ago and am pretty happy with how they feel, so it's not a huge priority to me to get the Omnikey fixed up (though I have been doing some research).

After jwoven's post, I read a lot about the ALPS switches on geekhack, and saw this video with a guy desoldering and replacing switches on an old omnikey. I'm not sure if I'll need to do that, but I'd feel fairly confident after watching someone do a replacement.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Rexxed posted:

I looked at his site, and I would definitely think about it if I wanted it done professionally. I switched over to the Unicomp and IBM Model M's about 8 or 10 years ago and am pretty happy with how they feel, so it's not a huge priority to me to get the Omnikey fixed up (though I have been doing some research).

After jwoven's post, I read a lot about the ALPS switches on geekhack, and saw this video with a guy desoldering and replacing switches on an old omnikey. I'm not sure if I'll need to do that, but I'd feel fairly confident after watching someone do a replacement.

Should be able to open up an alps switch without desoldering it. Here is a guide, but given that the omnikey uses complicated alps, it probably is easier and faster to desolder.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

jwoven posted:

Should be able to open up an alps switch without desoldering it. Here is a guide, but given that the omnikey uses complicated alps, it probably is easier and faster to desolder.

That's a good guide, and I think I might try that first since it's probably less work and money to clean the switches and see if it fixes the letter doubling problems I had in the past. I still haven't spent any time on it besides doing a bit of research, but I might clean up the keyboard and look into it later this the week or next weekend.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
I'm sick of my old G15, and this thread's sold me on mechanical keyboards.

I just dropped $160 on a WASD with Cherry Blues, will report back when I get it.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Anatidaephobia posted:

I'm sick of my old G15, and this thread's sold me on mechanical keyboards.

I just dropped $160 on a WASD with Cherry Blues, will report back when I get it.

Whoooooooo what up WASD bro.

WHat layout did you get?

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Shogunner posted:

Whoooooooo what up WASD bro.

WHat layout did you get?

It's the modern layout with black laser-etched keys. I figured having a bunch of colour all over the place would bug the poo poo out of me eventually.

By the way, I saw your post in the desktops thread - we have the same case too :)

Reith
Jul 23, 2007
I bought a Deck Legend last week (the tactile one) and it should be coming in on Monday or Tuesday. Any owners in this thread that might have some thoughts on it?

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
I have a question for you WASD Keyboard-owning folks out there. I just got mine with Cherry MX Browns and it's a fantastic keyboard. I have noticed one thing that is bothering me, though. All keys sound great except the space bar. The left side of it through the center sounds solid, but as I move to the right side of the space bar it has a hollow, loose sound to it. I'm a stupidly fast touch-typer so I'm hearing this noise more and more and am wishing it sounded solid like the other keys.

Anyone else experienced this or is this normal?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Pop off the spacebar, see if it looks normal, reseat?

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I have a question for you WASD Keyboard-owning folks out there. I just got mine with Cherry MX Browns and it's a fantastic keyboard. I have noticed one thing that is bothering me, though. All keys sound great except the space bar. The left side of it through the center sounds solid, but as I move to the right side of the space bar it has a hollow, loose sound to it. I'm a stupidly fast touch-typer so I'm hearing this noise more and more and am wishing it sounded solid like the other keys.

Anyone else experienced this or is this normal?

Sounds like the stabilizer isn't hooked correctly. Carefully pop the key up and take a look. Be careful though since Costar stabilizers are delicate. See this tutorial on how to properly remove stabilized keys. Specifically look at the section under the goofy title "Pulling Keys With Stabilizers - Korean Kung Fu Style."

If the stabilizer is simply unhooked then it's an easy fix. If it is broken or missing, give WASD a call. They seem to be very easy to deal with. When they sent me a wrong colored key with my order, after a quick call they dropped the right one in the mail.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That's interesting, I wondered what a stabilizer looks like. The K60 just has flanking non-moving switch lookalikes to stabilize the longer keys (which the spacebar in those pics appear to as well, but the shift does not).

Seems like it works okay to me.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Hazborgufen posted:

Sounds like the stabilizer isn't hooked correctly. Carefully pop the key up and take a look. Be careful though since Costar stabilizers are delicate. See this tutorial on how to properly remove stabilized keys. Specifically look at the section under the goofy title "Pulling Keys With Stabilizers - Korean Kung Fu Style."

If the stabilizer is simply unhooked then it's an easy fix. If it is broken or missing, give WASD a call. They seem to be very easy to deal with. When they sent me a wrong colored key with my order, after a quick call they dropped the right one in the mail.

Thanks! Going to try this out when I get home.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Listening to my right, the right side does sound a bit more hollow than the left or middle of the space bar. I space with my right thumb aswell, but it doesn't bother me.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Are prices ever gonna come down on mechanical keyboards when (I assume) they become more popular? Or does it really cost that much to manufacture them?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Are prices ever gonna come down on mechanical keyboards when (I assume) they become more popular? Or does it really cost that much to manufacture them?

AFAIK, they're already extremely popular, but since producing quality in mass numbers isn't a thing now, unless they reach the same popularity of scissor-switches and domes and the like, they'll always be expensive.

Unless all the things I read I somehow misinterpreted.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Shogunner posted:

AFAIK, they're already extremely popular, but since producing quality in mass numbers isn't a thing now, unless they reach the same popularity of scissor-switches and domes and the like, they'll always be expensive.

The switching system for a rubber dome keyboard is basically a sheet of shaped rubber over a sheet of flexible circuitry with some inserts. A mechanical keyboard is 104 individual switches, each of which needs to be inserted into and connected to a circuit board. There's much more manufacturing involved, many more components, and more testing; prices will probably decline very slowly but there's basically zero chance of a drop to rubber dome prices any time ever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shogunner posted:

I think you're about right. I know I paid around $50 for my Unicomp Customizer 101 in 2001, but now they're $79.00, so that particular brand has gone up in price, but as you said they seem to be producing quality and not quantity. Some of the new big brand mechanical gaming keyboards have similar price points but are suffering for quality.

While a truly massive preference shift from rubber dome would probably get us very cheap mechanical keyboards, I expect that they will stay something of an enthusiast market and retain the price tag to reflect that. The vast majority of users just use the keyboard that comes with their PC and don't even think about the possibility of replacing it. Mechanical keyboards have always been sold for business use but most offices don't use them.

While they are somewhat expensive, the longevity of mechanical keyboards means that they're usually worth the cost. Plus, there seems to be a lot of companies who are testing the waters with mechanical keyboard production lines for gaming. They might stay an enthusiast product, but the fact that many companies are taking notice of them as a potential new market and providing more variety in new mechanical keyboards means it's an exciting time to be one of those enthusiasts.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Picked up a Razer Blackwidow last week and while im sure its not the greatest quality mechanical it still feels pretty great coming from a cheap logitech. Also the reviews didnt lie when they said this thing could be used to beat someone to death with. Feels like a solid brick.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

BrandNew posted:

Picked up a Razer Blackwidow last week and while im sure its not the greatest quality mechanical it still feels pretty great coming from a cheap logitech. Also the reviews didnt lie when they said this thing could be used to beat someone to death with. Feels like a solid brick.

For the ultimate in Self-Defense Keyboards, invest in a Model M. THAT thing will survive caving in somebody's skull, although you'll have to pick the keys and keycaps up off the ground after wiping the blood off.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BrandNew posted:

I don't mean to disparage your keyboard in my post, I've never used one. Most mechanical switches feel great, and the switches themselves tend to be hard to break without spilling drinks into them. I was referring to seeing a lot of complaints about broken keyboards right out of the box from some of the major peripheral makers who have recently released mechanical gaming keyboards, which indicates manufacturing or shipping and packing quality issues.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I don't mean to disparage your keyboard in my post, I've never used one. Most mechanical switches feel great, and the switches themselves tend to be hard to break without spilling drinks into them. I was referring to seeing a lot of complaints about broken keyboards right out of the box from some of the major peripheral makers who have recently released mechanical gaming keyboards, which indicates manufacturing or shipping and packing quality issues.

Yeah i didn't intend my post to be a response to yours just kind of ended up after it. But yeah i did read a few reviews about some people getting lovely keyboards which made me consider getting something else and was going to pick up a different one at the micro center near me but they were out of stock so i took a gamble on the razer. Luckily no problems so far and all the keys feel solid.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

BrandNew posted:

Yeah i didn't intend my post to be a response to yours just kind of ended up after it. But yeah i did read a few reviews about some people getting lovely keyboards which made me consider getting something else and was going to pick up a different one at the micro center near me but they were out of stock so i took a gamble on the razer. Luckily no problems so far and all the keys feel solid.

Does the blackwidow use Cherry switches or proprietary RAZER XTREME GAMING noname switches?

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Anatidaephobia posted:

Does the blackwidow use Cherry switches or proprietary RAZER XTREME GAMING noname switches?

Blues i believe

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Is the ducky shine the only alternative to the Blackwidow if you want illuminated and mechanical switches?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

There's also the Mionix Zibal 60 and the Deck Legend.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Athenry posted:

Is the ducky shine the only alternative to the Blackwidow if you want illuminated and mechanical switches?

I was thinking I would want an illuminated mechanical keyboard because my last two boards were (an eclipse and a G15), but honestly if you can touchtype at all you really won't miss the backlighting. I can still easily find wasd,r,f, etc. in a dark room when I'm playing games.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Razer uses Cherry MX blue in the regular BWU, and MX brown in the stealth version

Still wouldn't get it. They won't even spend the few cents more for some diodes that will let them do NKRO. Not to mention the lower quality that they are, the fact that the keycaps are terrible and will wear out quickly (something you definitely don't want in a backlit board)
Also backlit:
Xarmor U9BL and all of the clones of it (minonix, ione, qpad)
Corsair Vengence K90
Noppoo Choc Pro (my favorite of all of these choices)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

I got the normal version at only 65, the ultimate seems like a rip off for how expensive it is.

• Locked thread