Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fatkraken posted:

BTW, what are the legalities or Unblock-US? If I can use it legitimately I might well stick with netflix for access to their US site, but if it's illegal there's not much point really.
When asked they always say it depends on the laws in your country, and I'm not actually sure how legal it is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I would have thought it's a grey area, verging on the black because of how they are promoting it. You're paying a 3rd party service to enable access to content that is not licensed in your country.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

FreakyZoid posted:

I would have thought it's a grey area, verging on the black because of how they are promoting it. You're paying a 3rd party service to enable access to content that is not licensed in your country.

Yeah this pretty much, you are not going to get into trouble for it or anything, but its technically watching content that you are not licensed to watch in the UK.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sad day for British TV, tonight begins the last series of TV Burp, and only 8 episodes.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
I unblocked netflix usa on my ps3 using this guide http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56323588#post56323588

Tonnes more content, otherwise I would have just cancelled my subscription as I have run out of things to watch on the UK one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Sad day for British TV, tonight begins the last series of TV Burp, and only 8 episodes.

Like CN UK won't run that poo poo into the ground instead of airing cartoons.

Also confirming those instructions work perfectly well for Wii too. I understand why region locking exists, but it doesn't mean I have to like it none.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 4, 2012

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

the_cow_fan posted:

I unblocked netflix usa on my ps3 using this guide http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56323588#post56323588

Tonnes more content, otherwise I would have just cancelled my subscription as I have run out of things to watch on the UK one.

Sadly this didn't work for me. It didn't recognise my login, as I guess it thinks I'm a US customer now. What a shame.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Had a minor panic with Unblockus, got it and spent about 15 minutes panicking that I'd now not be able to watch The Thick of It, since it's apparently not available in the US. Only just realised you can turn it off. Panic over. The Thick of It is really loving good by the way, I just started watching it yesterday, and it's kept me happy for many an hour.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
They just did a pathetic viewer-participation trick on The Magicians. It involved a "random" method of selecting a food that was so obviously deterministic. How dumb do they think we are? :argh:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

HoldYourFire posted:

They just did a pathetic viewer-participation trick on The Magicians. It involved a "random" method of selecting a food that was so obviously deterministic. How dumb do they think we are? :argh:

You're dumb enough to watch The Magicians :smug:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

Had a minor panic with Unblockus, got it and spent about 15 minutes panicking that I'd now not be able to watch The Thick of It, since it's apparently not available in the US. Only just realised you can turn it off. Panic over. The Thick of It is really loving good by the way, I just started watching it yesterday, and it's kept me happy for many an hour.

It really is fantastic. There is also a decent companion book, available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thick-Missing-DoSAC-Files/dp/0571272541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328393203&sr=8-1

Basically, it's Malcolm's insurance file, and he's left it in a taxi.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

I stopped watching TV Burp a couple of years back - started becoming too over reliant on gimmick characters like the knitted thing and the fake fat woman from Eastenders.

The best thing about Netflix UK is that it has kicked Lovefilm into getting more content in their on demand line up.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

It really is fantastic. There is also a decent companion book, available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thick-Missing-DoSAC-Files/dp/0571272541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328393203&sr=8-1

Basically, it's Malcolm's insurance file, and he's left it in a taxi.

Ah, thanks a lot, I'll take a look at that. All I could think when the new Secretary of State came in at the start of season 3 was 'Oh look, it's champion horse rider, Sue Lewis!'

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
New series of Being Human has just started on BBC Three.

Life without Mitchell. :(

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
How was it? I missed it because I was busy shouting at dragons, and I figured I'd read some reviews and such before giving it a pop on iPlayer.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
With being human , I've got the impression now most of the cast has gone they have decided to go completely insane with the plot time travelling future ghosts but to be honest at least it was interesting, ill give it a few more episodes at least.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How are most of the cast gone? Mitchell was the only one who left right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thebardyspoon posted:

How are most of the cast gone? Mitchell was the only one who left right?

Nope Nina and George are dead

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
As of the end of this episode George, Mitchell & Nina are dead leaving only Annie who I would say is a "main cast" character still alive

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
They also killed off the new villain that had only just been introduced off-screen, too

Being Human was so uncomfortable to watch. They did a good job, but having to write out George and Nina, one of them off-screen without having any time to adjust to the absence of Mitchell... there wasn't any chance it could have worked.

EDIT: Also, everyone watch Peter Capaldi's The Cricklewood Greats. It's a really entertaining look at an interesting part of British film history

Not a Twat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 6, 2012

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Not a Twat posted:

EDIT: Also, everyone watch Peter Capaldi's The Cricklewood Greats. It's a really entertaining look at an interesting part of British film history

I second this. Another cracking BBC 4 show.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

ShortLeroy posted:

New series of Being Human has just started on BBC Three.

Life without Mitchell. :(

I was distracted all the way through with how much new werewolf lad looks like Kelly from 'Misfits'. Turns out they're brother and sister.

Not sure about the new series yet. It's got a bit silly in a non Misfits way, I much preferred it when it was about a vampire, ghost and werewolf trying to act as normal as they could in a house in Bristol. And not some sort of bollocks Terminator style time travel affair with vampires trying to take over the world.

I liked the new girl ghost who was still wearing her clothes from the 50s, that was a nice touch.

But we came to the conclusion that it'd actually be a bit rubbish to be a werewolf though. As well as ageing and eventually dying, you have to go through a painful transformation to turn into a werewolf, but you remember nothing of that bit, only the pain. And the whole of the way through we were taking the piss out of George's hilariously OTT screaming, not realising that it'd be the last time we'd hear it. I'm sure he partly got the gig based on his ability to scream, and willingness to run around naked.

Is there going to be or is there a thread for UK Being Human yet?

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Being human was interesting. From here it can either become good again, or disappear into ridiculousness.
Being human spoilers below
Is George definitely not in the rest of the series? The future lady turning into a ghost and hinting about time traveling at the same time in the episode George becomes a ghost makes me think we will see him in ghost form again protecting the baby. Ghost werewolf?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

"The Simptrons"

How long are they going to keep this up for? :stare:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

sex pervert posted:

"The Simptrons"

How long are they going to keep this up for? :stare:

It sort of made sense with this episode, due to the 'tron' reference in the 3D segment at the end. Whether that was by coincidence or not, I have no idea.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009
No talk about the impending return of 10 O'clock Live yet?

I watched the a couple of shows in the first series but gave up due to Jimmy Carr being a chore to sit through and the other presenters seeming uncomfortable and alot less funny than their usual telly appearances (I guess a symptom of being live). Also some rather bad choices of interviewee including Alastair Campbell who clearly is able to hold his own in an interview against seasoned political veterans so why they thought David Mitchell would fair any better I don't know.

I would hope they decided to change things up for the new series, seems like they have the potential to have a great show but a combination of being live (is there any real need for it?) and trying to cram too much in rather than giving some of the more noteworthy subjects or interviews time led to me not bothering to watch the rest of the series.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Not a Twat posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, it was great, but I was noting down film titles for the first 30 minutes before it finally clicked with me. Now how can I watch Thumbs Up Matron? :(

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
Yeah I'll watch 10 O'Clock live to see if they learnt anything from the last series, but to be honest if they havn't I won't be going out of my way to see the rest. It has a lot of potential but just wasn't executed very well last time.
Edit: Also any excuse to fawn over Lauren Laverne, I don't know what it is about that woman but my god...

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

They made a lot of improvements after the first episode or two, but it wasn't great. It's a shame, as I like everyone involved, but apart from Brooker doing what were essentially Newswipe segments, nothing really clicked.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
TTOS's problem is that 90 percent of it is just topical humour. It's just sickipedia toned down and adjusted for the day's main headlines. Which makes it' no different to Mock The Week.

It's no coincidence that the only bit that regularly worked were Brooker's rants, because they were the only bits that were consistently satirical; using humour as a vehicle for underlying critique. TTOS's usual benchmark, The Daily Show, is the same; it isn't Jon Stewart just making throw away "dumb politican, ha, ha" jokes, it's Jon Stewart building up to punchlines that confirm the incompetence and/or hypocrisy of politicians and media.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Not a Twat posted:

Being Human was so uncomfortable to watch. They did a good job, but having to write out George and Nina, one of them off-screen without having any time to adjust to the absence of Mitchell... there wasn't any chance it could have worked.

I'll keep watching, I enjoy the show so I'll give it a chance.However, I would have rather had the first few episodes of this series to get to where we are now though.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The trouble with trying to do a British Daily Show is the fundamental difference in culture. In America the news agenda is set and driven by the news networks; therefore it makes sense for the chief satirical organ also to be prominently displayed on television in the form of the Daily Show and Colbert Report.

For us, the key players are still the newspapers. It's the newspaper editors that Leveson wants to talk to about press ethics. When did you last hear of a big scandal that was broken by Sky News? It doesn't happen; and so therefore we have Private Eye. It can be embarrassing for a few minutes to have nasty things said about you on HIGNFY, but then it passes on; it's only if it sticks in print that you've got a real problem. Likewise, American public figures don't get worried because the Onion took the piss out of them, but if one of the news channels gets its teeth into you, then you're in trouble.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 8, 2012

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Grobbit posted:

No talk about the impending return of 10 O'clock Live yet?

...being live (is there any real need for it?)

I can remember when, once, Laverne got a message in her ear that a No Fly Zone was imposed over Libya, which she broke to the sound of confused applause because it just sort of came out in the middle of a discussion. I have no idea why it's live; it's not meant to be rolling news or anything.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Before 10 o'clock live aired last time, the promotion made it look like The Day Today, but when it actually aired it was nothing like it. There is a lot of potential, and I will watch at least the first episode to see how it turns out, but I do not have very high expectations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
The worst thing about it (and there are a lot to choose from) is probably the fact that it has an audience and that they are morons.

Awful show.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Mickolution posted:

The worst thing about it (and there are a lot to choose from) is probably the fact that it has an audience and that they are morons.

Awful show.

It's just self-congratulatory bullshit for students and guardian readers who think that 'lol daily mail' and 'politicians are bad!' is incisive satire.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Mickolution posted:

Awful show.

This was the worst example, I think: the interview with Bob Crow.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

dos4gw posted:

It's just self-congratulatory bullshit for students and guardian readers who think that 'lol daily mail' and 'politicians are bad!' is incisive satire.

This is the strongest impression that this show has given me summed up far more succinctly than I could have done. Thanks.

Dockertae
Aug 9, 2010

dos4gw posted:

I feel vindicated in not watching any episode but the first if it continued this way. I'd always wondered if it ended up good after a poo poo first episode or something.

I'm a fan of both David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker so I was looking forward to it when I first heard of it. Most of what I remember from actually watching the first episode is the audience clapping and cheering at literally every word said by the presenters interspersed with a bunch of sketches involving costumes and the presenters appearing to not understand what they were talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

Dockertae posted:

I feel vindicated in not watching any episode but the first if it continued this way. I'd always wondered if it ended up good after a poo poo first episode or something.

I'm a fan of both David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker so I was looking forward to it when I first heard of it. Most of what I remember from actually watching the first episode is the audience clapping and cheering at literally every word said by the presenters interspersed with a bunch of sketches involving costumes and the presenters appearing to not understand what they were talking about.

I watched one episode then watched this to wash the taste out of my mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsr2FyQT08