Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
... I think Annie broke her.

Actually, I have to say, I think the thing which struck me about this page was how the etheric forms can really make the artwork flow. I just love the way Blue's hair swirls from one panel to the next down at the bottom there.

I have to say, I was also reminded slightly of Fight Club. His name was Robert Paulson. Her name is Red. Make of that what you will.

And once more (looking at the 'you don't know her name!?' page there), it strikes me how cool the artistic progression is in this comic - both seeing Tom grow prodigiously in skill, and seeing the art mature as the characters mature. It has so many levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

loquacius posted:

I did this too! There was a playground aide at my elementary school I thought of as "Mustache Lady" because I was a huge jerk when I was little :( (also she had a mustache)
I made those nicknames when I was 21 and didn't have a car to get to the store. :blush: Other key characters on those bus rides were Pneumonia Lady, Doggonit Dude, and Pack-a-day.

But anyways. I hope the other fairies reveal what their names are in the next page!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Rumda posted:

Am I the only one that took Wednesdays comic to mean some form as mind-control as well as illusion powers from Blue?

Wow, this was ... prescient.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Phew!

Gunnerkrigg really is one of the best comics ever, it's the little things, like Red's face in those two panels. Identical but two separate drawings, there's no lazing around in this comic.
Could someone enlighten me as to what the argh app thing actually does? Just display 'argh'? I feel like I'm missing something here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aceofblue posted:

I made those nicknames when I was 21 and didn't have a car to get to the store. :blush: Other key characters on those bus rides were Pneumonia Lady, Doggonit Dude, and Pack-a-day.

But anyways. I hope the other fairies reveal what their names are in the next page!

I think I kept doing it as I got older, too, it's just that the frequency of my headcanon nicknames being simply "that guy" or "that girl" kept rising as I got older and less imaginative. The only other one that comes to mind is a couple of people in college I kept seeing around but never spoke to, who I called "George and Lennie" due to their apparent inseparability and considerable size disparity, and because by that point I'd graduated from jerkhood to pretentiousness.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Aceofblue posted:

I really really hope there's a fairy out there named something affectionately weird, like Bubbles or Sherlock or something. You know, stuff that you might call a stranger in your head. Alternatively, I hope that nobody got named something mean - I used to think of these strange old women on the bus I used to ride as "Denim Lady" and "Poodle Hair," and I wouldn't wish those on any fairies.

We all did this to the regulars when I was a lifeguard. Frantic Mom and Nipple-man, I will never forget you.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kgummy posted:

Could someone enlighten me as to what the argh app thing actually does? Just display 'argh'? I feel like I'm missing something here.
That's it. It is a joke.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kgummy posted:

There's an app for everything. Now you don't need to "argh" yourself anymore. Don't you feel better already?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
The next chapter will feature Annie's attempt to overthrow both The Court and Coyote by blackmailing all the court faeries into doing her bidding with threats of giving them dirty names.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Spaseman posted:

The next chapter will feature Annie's attempt to overthrow both The Court and Coyote by blackmailing all the court faeries into doing her bidding with threats of giving them dirty names.

I can only imagine this with her being adorably terrible at it. "Oh, you won't do it? Well, let's see how you'll like your new name, miss ... silly.....namey!"

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Nondevor posted:

This chapter certainly does have a lot of great faces.
I jacked some of your images to make this because I am a lazy crumbroni

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nondevor posted:

This chapter certainly does have a lot of great faces.

This is awesome.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My favorite thematic nickname was a guy in college that everyone knew as "Walks With Sandals."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

D'awww, Red's so awestruck by her new name she's speechless! :3:

Sad Gol-Shogeg needs to show up again in a future arc. I don't care if it doesn't actually exist, love will find a way.

Spooky Candle
Dec 2, 2011

In Nature, death is but a gateway to New Life.
Red is a good name.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Having recently gotten in Gunnerkrieg thanks to a friend accidentally sending me Volume 1, well I started reading the current arc, I can wrap my head around the current arc and antimony's transfer but I feel I'm missing something, should I read the rest? Or just keep going?

Grabbing this when I can, been meaning to change my ava anyway.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

Having recently gotten in Gunnerkrieg thanks to a friend accidentally sending me Volume 1, well I started reading the current arc, I can wrap my head around the current arc and antimony's transfer but I feel I'm missing something, should I read the rest? Or just keep going?

Are you asking if you should start from the beginning/where you've read to? If so yes, you should. It's a very good comic.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Alteisen posted:

Hilariously, I was the guy who accidentally sent it to this poster. It was supposed to go to my sister and a horrible plague was ravaging the logic part of my brain.

Anyway I recommend reading the rest as it is awesome.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Alteisen posted:

Uh, wait correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying you read Book 1 (chapters 1-14) and this one (chapter 36 and will be in Book 4)? Yeah, I'd say you're missing something there, especially since Annie didn't transfer, she's just visiting the fairies for a bit.

But no seriously, GC is great, and you'd totally miss out on some great stuff by not reading the rest.

Spooky Candle
Dec 2, 2011

In Nature, death is but a gateway to New Life.
I don't get how you'd want to skip out on anything.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Spooky Candle posted:

I don't get how you'd want to skip out on anything.

Especially if you've already covered the first several chapters when the comic was still finding its feet. It never stops getting better (so far [no pressure, Tom]).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hey kismet, is it okay if I use parts of your OP to start up another Gunnerkrigg Court thread in another forum?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

pandaK posted:

Hey kismet, is it okay if I use parts of your OP to start up another Gunnerkrigg Court thread in another forum?

Go for it. :) Spread the gospel.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm just remembering something Tom said on his formspring. About how you wouldn't see any people with pointy ears like the fairies wandering around GC's normal world. I'm thinking what if getting a name changes Red? Makes her more human, like with non pointy ears, and probably more human in general.

Changing like that could explain her having such a weird reaction.

The only issue with this is the teacher but she doesn't seem to have a name either so maybe some of them stay in the unnamed semi fairy state into adulthood?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I think they're all just being jabronis and making a big fuss for the fun of it

also it just occurred to me that I'll miss the ether art-style once we go back to normal. Ether chapters are amazing and are almost always used as page examples when I introduce people to the comic.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now that Red has an official name, she'll spin herself a cocoon for the winter.

Come spring, a beautiful new Jones will emerge.

Seconding missing the ether style once they go back to the boring real world. I gladly would read an entire series in that art style.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the real world, Jones and Shadow have been standing around patiently forever.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bussamove posted:

D'awww, Red's so awestruck by her new name she's speechless! :3:

Sad Gol-Shogeg needs to show up again in a future arc. I don't care if it doesn't actually exist, love will find a way.

Sad Gol-Shogeg ain't goin nowhere, crumbum :P

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kgummy posted:

Tom had an idea for a cellphone app...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I find it funny the way he draws himself because he looks nothing like that in real life. (for one thing when I saw him he had a beard).

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Well it's not really a beard, I just hadn't shaved

Edit: Huh! My avatar has changed. I've had the same one since I joined SA, I think!

Tea-san fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 4, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tea-san posted:

Edit: Huh! My avatar has changed. I've had the same one since I joined SA, I think!

I mourn the loss of glowy dog vision, but that one is pretty neat.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Tom, just curious, how time consuming would you say completing the art for an average page in the ether is vs. a page taking place in the "normal" world? I would think the ether pages would take a good bit more time, but boy are they gorgeous.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 4, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I just want to say that this comic is amazing. I got into it late in December, and after I finished my second pass through the archives, I started reading it to my mother on weekends (she has eye problems, and reading anything smaller than 20-point font gives her a headache). She just recently caught up with the current page, and it makes her smile in a way I haven't seen her do since my father passed away in 2009. About a week ago, we were watching Real Steel and being generally disappointed by it, and at the climax of one of the early fight scenes she shouted out, "Send in Boxbot!" We had to pause the film for a couple of minutes until we'd stopped laughing.

Tea-san, your comic is wonderful and the world is a better place for it.

Edit: Thank you, mysterious avatar fairy!

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 5, 2012

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tea-san posted:

Don't talk it down, it was a pretty good beard.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just noticed you're still updating the Avatar Post too :3:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Oh hey, yeah, I should point out there is now a link to idonotlikepeas' great avatar repository in the OP - so you can find it without trawling back through the thread any time you feel like a change.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thesaurasaurus posted:

She just recently caught up with the current page, and it makes her smile in a way I haven't seen her do since my father passed away in 2009. (...) Tea-san, your comic is wonderful and the world is a better place for it.

This is the highest praise. You know you did a good thing when your works touches people like that.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I find it funny the way he draws himself because he looks nothing like that in real life. (for one thing when I saw him he had a beard).

Ssshhh you're ruining the illusion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Kismet posted:

Oh hey, yeah, I should point out there is now a link to idonotlikepeas' great avatar repository in the OP - so you can find it without trawling back through the thread any time you feel like a change.

The post's not exactly fully up to date though; just a heads up. There are some avatars that have been taken since the last edit so yeah. Wouldn't want people running around with the same avatar when there are a lot of good ones.