Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Split first place prizes tonight in the fnm sealed tournament, so both me and my opponent got 25 packs. Played Red/Green aggro with the top of my curve being charmbreaker devils and flayer of the hatebound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Anything special I should keep in mind if my store is doing DA/DA/INN for drafts this weekend?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

whydirt posted:

Anything special I should keep in mind if my store is doing DA/DA/INN for drafts this weekend?

Undying is very strong and chances are you wont get a bomb to build around. Make sure you have a plan for late-game as pure aggro can really get busted up.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

meanolmrcloud posted:

Undying is very strong and chances are you wont get a bomb to build around. Make sure you have a plan for late-game as pure aggro can really get busted up.

I'm still pretty inexperienced at limited, can you expand on this a bit or give an example? Do you just mean to look for ways to avoid running out of gas after the early rush of bear-type critters?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

whydirt posted:

I'm still pretty inexperienced at limited, can you expand on this a bit or give an example? Do you just mean to look for ways to avoid running out of gas after the early rush of bear-type critters?

Pretty much exactly that. Even just a big dumb body like a Hollowhenge Beast or Kindercatch can go a long way.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Drunkdrafted ok'ish URw last night. But it was worth it:

:innistradlimited:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So, here's what I pulled from one sealed event:

I ran a 4 color monstrosity with Dragon, Lich, Reaver, Retreat, Gang and a host of really really greedy cards.

Ended up being able to ride the cards to a 3-1 record. I would have actually pulled out a 4-0, but I saw my play mistake (I thought I had to trade with a Geist Honored Monk when in reality I didn't).

I had something like 18 lands, and a lot of double color spells (2 Claustrophobia, 2 Victim of Night) and a lot of late drops, but two Fires of Undeath helped keep the early game stable.

This set is so stupidly fun, and getting to see people's reactions to Skirsdag Cultist, Lich + anything undying was awesome.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

^^^^ yea, I'm super pumped about playing more DA, its been alot of fun. But that also could be playing with paper instead of online, which is really different and interesting.

whydirt posted:

I opened a sealed pool with 0 playable rares, but decent removal and decent token generators. A midnight haunting, lingering souls, gather the townfolk etc and a decent set of white and black dudes. Pretty much every game had me pumping out little guys or fliers, pecking them down to 5 or so, then stalling because my removal was conditional (Victim, tragic slip, silent departure) or was forced into poor choices because it felt wrong wasting a victim on a critter who would just pop back up. If I had a bomby rare, I would be fine, but often I had to chump with my tokens, pumping my Mob for there to be any real threats, or even more regretably, siding in spectral flight (often attaching it to a flier already) just to get some beef on the table.

With INNx3 I'll always feel comfortable running tiny critters and not thinking twice, but DA forces you to have a better win con than just: put em out, swing em in.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 4, 2012

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

We drafted DKA, DKA, INN last night. P1P1 was Increasing Devotion, and the next two picks were both Lingering Spirits. Innistrad rare was Isolated chapel, after being balls deep in W/B. It didn't really make a difference in any games but I took it anyway. The deck suffered from having ZERO card drawing power of any kind, but it feels really good to attack someone with 18 1/1 creatures knowing they don't have ratchet bomb. Not sure where the Rolling Temblors were, but I was able to go 4-0.

After that we drafted triple dark ascension for some reason. It does not work very well without at least one pack of INN. I took P1P1 Huntmaster of the Fells, and forced myself into R/G even though there was a lot of really good blue poo poo going around. I only got 13 creatures, few of them any good, so I had to play all of them. The only thing that made this deck playable was, believe it or not, Altar of the Lost because it effectively enabled me to splash white, blue, and black and enable Fires of Undeath, Wild Hunger, Burning Oil, and Trackers Instincts. Went 2-2 this time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lunael posted:

Drunkdrafted ok'ish URw last night. But it was worth it:

:innistradlimited:

Did the same last night and my first four picks involved 2 silent departures and a brimstone volley, I ended up drafting this:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32urb

and running more removals then creatures. Yeah, I know my pack 2 choices were awful, I was convinced I'd need to splash blue while playing something else, and I have no idea why, ended up going 6-0, so it worked out.

Had a game where I pinged a guy to death for 10 turns with an invisible stalker while I unsummoned a single Dearly Departed 6 times then finally sensory deprived it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Not sure where the Rolling Temblors were, but I was able to go 4-0.

At pre-release I had a big token army breaking what was a gigantic 45 minute board stall. My opponent kept complaining that he had three Temblors and hadn't seen any yet.

This is why you don't run 50 cards, and then repeatedly bury the cards you need under Gravepurge. That guy always runs oversize and he needs to be beaten until he learns. Considering he's probably 60, I imagine that will be approximately never.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ok, i've done a lot of DKA/DKA/INN and DKA/DKA/DKA drafts this past week.

It's fun the first few times but now i'm getting sick of it. I wanted to see the new stuff and play with it, along with everyone else. But i'm sick of it now and can't wait to go back to the prescribed INN/INN/DKA drafting. Having played it enough, I realize how much better INN is and how many unplayable cards there are in DKA.

Trust me. You'll love DKA/DKA/INN for the first few times but you'll quickly learn that it's bad.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
What do you mean with "Its bad"?

You mean the cards in DKA or the fact that DKA wasn't made for 3 boosters of it?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

SGRaaize posted:

You mean the cards in DKA or the fact that DKA wasn't made for 3 boosters of it?

Equal parts of both. DKA doesn't have nearly as many limited playable cards as INN and that makes drafting with more DKA bad. DKA has a lot of good cards and in small doses, DKA/DKA/DKA or DKA/DKA/INN can be fun. I'm just saying, as someone who enjoys limited, I can't wait for my local store to start INN/INN/DKA again.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SGRaaize posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about how it isn't designed to be dominant and it warps the power levels of various strategies, so yeah the fact that it wasn't made for it is the issue.

NPH had that too, although there were some hilarious decks you could draft with it. 6x Immolating Soul Eaters is awesome.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
didn't think this was a 0-1 deck but here we go. it turns out if you miss land drops in this format you just die 100% of the time. http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3338l

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I am apparently the worst drafter in the world.

I tried a heavy graveyard/self-mill deck. Splinterfright, the blue "cast creatures from your graveyard enchantment", a Boneyard Worm, a couple Mulches, and a couple Armored Skaabs. I even played bloody Ghoulcaller's bell, and some Wrath of Geists. I was serious about my theme.

Wasn't serious about picking removal, though - and was very, very serious about not being able to mill creatures. It's like the game is always teaching me a new lesson, contradictory to my last draft. But really what it teaches me is that I'm bad.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Invisible Stalker is some serious loving bullshit. I managed to pry one game away with Curse of Death's Hold, but after that he had Spectral Flight, and welp.

I even drew Tribute to Hunger every game, but he had another creature every time, and needing to remove every other cheap-drop creature before I can remove the actual threat is just impossible.

I even managed to lose with two Falkenrath Nobles out :(

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

jmzero posted:

I am apparently the worst drafter in the world.

I tried a heavy graveyard/self-mill deck. Splinterfright, the blue "cast creatures from your graveyard enchantment", a Boneyard Worm, a couple Mulches, and a couple Armored Skaabs. I even played bloody Ghoulcaller's bell, and some Wrath of Geists. I was serious about my theme.

Wasn't serious about picking removal, though - and was very, very serious about not being able to mill creatures. It's like the game is always teaching me a new lesson, contradictory to my last draft. But really what it teaches me is that I'm bad.

Boneyard Wurm and Ghoulcaller's bell are terrible cards. Boneyard is like fringe playable, and the bell just straight isn't. Here's the rule for running non-creature, non-removal cards in limited (token creating spells are creatures)

"Does this card win me the game quickly all by itself, or by comboing with at least 10 cards in my deck directly? If it doesn't do those, does it draw me cards? If not, don't loving play it. Ever"

With this rule, we see that strong equipment (which combos with every creature), and sometimes certain creature enchantments (Eldrazi Conscription, Angelic Destiny) fit the bill. A do-nothing symmetrical effect that, if dropped on turn 1, has about a 30% chance of putting a creature into our bin to pump 5-7 spells in our deck, is loving useless.

What you want with that deck early on is spider spawning. You also want Skaabs and flashback cards, especially gnaw to the bone. If you don't have spider spawning or cagebreakers it's not really worth drafting the deck.

The fact that you were drafting to a 'theme' as opposed to just picking synergistic cards, and the fact that you had to run Ghoulcaller's bell indicates it wasn't actually open.

All of the boneyard wurm type cards (including splinterfright) are not very worthwhile, and splinterfright is the only one I wouldn't question running in the maindeck.

The cards that put me into blue/green are removal in those colors, spider spawning, kessig cage breakers, or multiple early stitched drakes.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

What you want with that deck early on is spider spawning. You also want Skaabs and flashback cards, especially gnaw to the bone. If you don't have spider spawning or cagebreakers it's not really worth drafting the deck.

Thinking back, I did have a spawning and a gnaw as well (and a grotto that may have let me play the flashback on spawning). And yes, I certainly understand Bell isn't playable in any normal circumstance - but I figured with an entire deck based on putting stuff in my graveyard it would be. That's why I mentioned it, do understate just how committed I was to this theme.

But yes, I agree with you very much now - don't go for this deck.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Best sealed ever. Floated on Oliva's back the first 2 games. Third game guy pulls a curse of the bloody tome.

Fine, I have one of those 2 (mill with 30 card games is weak sauce), rearrange deck to go mill, counter his bloody tome and trep blade away his deck (mine didn't come out)

Next game I don't think that will work, he went mill twice now, assume it is happening again so I play five colors 60 something odd cards.

Whoops he didn't play his mill, I end up winning with Chapelgeist and Juggernaut.

Sealed is fun stuff

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

jmzero posted:

Thinking back, I did have a spawning and a gnaw as well (and a grotto that may have let me play the flashback on spawning). And yes, I certainly understand Bell isn't playable in any normal circumstance - but I figured with an entire deck based on putting stuff in my graveyard it would be. That's why I mentioned it, do understate just how committed I was to this theme.

But yes, I agree with you very much now - don't go for this deck.

The deck itself is actually pretty good if it draft it properly and it is open. It is hard to get online since it became popular thanks to the dudes over at CFB and other pro streamers started gunning for it at all costs and posting videos of it.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

The deck itself is actually pretty good if it draft it properly and it is open. It is hard to get online since it became popular thanks to the dudes over at CFB and other pro streamers started gunning for it at all costs and posting videos of it.

I'll have to watch a couple videos and see what this deck is supposed to look like (I thought I had a reasonable idea, but apparently not so much). I imagine it's a combination of my poor evaluation/understanding, and some bad luck.

Anyways - just finished another one online. Did a gut wrenching color change in pack 2 (for a 3rd pick Reaper from the Abyss, which I drew once and never casted) and had to play more marginal cards than I would have liked after ditching my green. Ended up winning on the back of Inquisitor's Flail + janky combat tricks + P1P1 Divine Reckoning. I really felt like I had a bad deck coming in, but I suppose that comes back to failure to understand the format.

Anyways, simpler question: what do you guys think of Gutter Grime? I've picked it ~3rd a couple times and it's never done much for me. Bad luck, or am I valuing it too high?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

jmzero posted:

I'll have to watch a couple videos and see what this deck is supposed to look like (I thought I had a reasonable idea, but apparently not so much). I imagine it's a combination of my poor evaluation/understanding, and some bad luck.

Anyways - just finished another one online. Did a gut wrenching color change in pack 2 (for a 3rd pick Reaper from the Abyss, which I drew once and never casted) and had to play more marginal cards than I would have liked after ditching my green. Ended up winning on the back of Inquisitor's Flail + janky combat tricks + P1P1 Divine Reckoning. I really felt like I had a bad deck coming in, but I suppose that comes back to failure to understand the format.

Anyways, simpler question: what do you guys think of Gutter Grime? I've picked it ~3rd a couple times and it's never done much for me. Bad luck, or am I valuing it too high?

I keep putting this card in decks and I literally never draw it.

I think it seems decent on paper, I've cut it for more exciting 5 drops, but I've run it maybe 5-6 times and have literally never drawn it, or at least never gone to cast it.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Sigma-X posted:

I keep putting this card in decks and I literally never draw it.

I think it seems decent on paper, I've cut it for more exciting 5 drops, but I've run it maybe 5-6 times and have literally never drawn it, or at least never gone to cast it.

well it's slow, as you can tell from reading the card, but once it gets going I absolutely love it--makes any combat math terrible for your opponent.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Guttergrime is really good in sealed. A tad too slow for draft for the most part.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Agreed. I'll always ship it. Whenever I see it come down, I thank god that they wasted their turn, keep swinging, and ignore at least the first two tokens.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, while I like draft, I've been playing some 4 ISD sealed events. And I've won three of the four. Is this an easy way to slip into the season 2 championship, because it feels like it is?

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
So, to the people that tried out Dark Ascension Drafting, which cards are great and which cards suck?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bairfanx posted:

So, while I like draft, I've been playing some 4 ISD sealed events. And I've won three of the four. Is this an easy way to slip into the season 2 championship, because it feels like it is?

It's not. There isn't an easy way and 3/4 is a good run and nothing more.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Just a brag story.

Went and played a release event yesterday (MuGu up in Everett for Seattle folks), and pulled the sickest deck. Tons of removal, a snapcaster, reaver and Liliana.

Didn't win out (mana screw, but hey, I was playing 3 color), but I completely put a guy on tilt in the quarter finals.

He had out a Tree of Redemption and a Screeching Bat. I had a bunch of ground guys. He flashes back Increasing Savagery on his Bat and flies over for some beatings. I Snapcaster back my Tribute to Hunger in the bin, to which he sacs his Tree, gaining me 13 life, and then I Tragic Slipped his Bat.

Oh he was pissed. Then I won.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just went 3-0 with this in an ISD swiss draft, with no lost games. I am feeling more comfortable with my picking now.
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3338n#all

I am glad I picked the falkanrath mauraders as my P1P1, after getting heretic's punishment as my P1P2 and daybreak ranger as my P2P1. Always enjoy burning people out with heretic's punishment. The first pick was tough, what with the test subject there too. Things ended up working out though.

My second color was up in the air until daybreak ranger came out in the second pack. That pretty much cemented red/green for me. My deck was majorly red though, as nobody else was really drafting much of it. Not too many good green goodies, but I snagged enough to make it worthwhile. The only four colored non-red cards I ran in my deck were a villagers of estwald, a daybreak ranger, a gatstaf shepard, and a spidery grasp. I ran both traitorous bloods, as I kind of enjoy them in a red-heavy deck. It can turn a mediocre attack into a very good one.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 6, 2012

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just went 3-0 with this in an ISD swiss draft, with no lost games. I am feeling more comfortable with my picking now.
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3338n#all

I am glad I picked the falkanrath mauraders as my 1P1P, after getting heretic's punishment as my 1P2P and daybreak ranger as my 2P1P. Always enjoy burning people out with heretic's punishment. The first pick was tough, what with the test subject there too. Things ended up working out though.

My second color was up in the air until daybreak ranger came out in the second pack. That pretty much cemented red/green for me. My deck was majorly red though, as nobody else was really drafting much of it. The only four colored non-red cards I ran in my deck were a villagers of estwald, a daybreak ranger, a gatstaf shepard, and a spidery grasp. I ran both traitorous bloods, as I kind of enjoy them in a red-heavy deck. It can turn a mediocre attack into a very good one.

I like to play the "i'm every color until the second pack" game. Pack 1 I tend to grab the most powerful card I can with a slight leaning to what i'm noticing is being passed and what I pass myself. I'm noticing a strong leaning towards white. So if I see 3 powerful white cards in a pack, i'll take a less powerful non-white card and pass the rest. Let the next 3 people that see those cards fight for the tables white cards, i'll scoop up the rest.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

ShowTime posted:

It's not. There isn't an easy way and 3/4 is a good run and nothing more.

That's what I figured. I do feel really confident in my deckbuilding skills from sealed, though, far more than I do with draft.

Amusingly, the one I got second in was when I pulled 3 mythics, as I ran into someone with a Lilyana. Someone had a Geist, too. Lots of good mythics floating around that one.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
30-card sealed is almost certainly the most luck-based format this side of Momir, especially in a format with so much mill.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I just went 2-3 with this god-awful Sealed pool, and I'd really like to know what I could've done better. Green's the only decent colour, no strong bombs, almost no hard removal. I ended up going GBu with lots of undying creatures, morbid triggers and token makers. To be honest, 2-3 is still better than I thought I'd do.

Burden of Guilt
Feeling of Dread
Gather the Townsfolk
Hollowhenge Spirit
Midnight Guard
Ray of Revelation
Selfless Cathar
Spare from Evil
Thraben Doomsayer
Thraben Sentry
Voiceless Spirit

Bone to Ash
Civilized Scholar
Claustrophobia
Curiosity
Frightful Delusion
Griptide
Hysterical Blindness
Mystic Retrieval
Nephalia Seakite
Runic Repetition
Silent Departure
Think Twice

Black Cat
Brain Weevil
Bump in the Night
Chosen of Markov
Curse of Oblivion
Deadly Allure
Death's Caress
Farbog Boneflinger
Gruesome Deformity
Gruesome Discovery
Heartless Summoning
Reap the Seagraf
Spiteful Shadows
2x Stromkirk Patrol
Tragic Slip
2x Unburial Rites

Erdwal Ripper
Feral Ridgewolf
Hinterland Hermit
Increasing Vengeance
Infernal Plunge
Nearheath Stalker
Night Revelers
Nightbird's Clutches
Pyreheart Wolf
Reckless Waif
Rolling Temblor
Scorch the Fields
Wrack with Madness

2x Ambush Viper
Clinging Mists
Darkthicket Wolf
Favor of the Woods
Feed the Pack
2x Festerhide Boar
Full Moon's Rise
Hollowhenge Beast
Hollowhenge Scavenger
Lambholt Elder
Ranger's Guile
Somberwald Dryad
Spider Spawning
Strangleroot Geist
Tracker's Instincts
Ulvenwald Bear
Wild Hunger
Young Wolf

Diregraf Captain
Avacyn's Collar
Galvanic Juggernaut
Ghoulcaller's Bell
Witchbane Orb
Wooden Stake
2x Evolving Wilds
Haunted Fengraf
Stensia Bloodhall

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Went to the release, haven't played/drafted since Zendikar was at PAX. 1P1P was Sorin. So I went WB, light on removal but tons of dudes and some evasion.

Doomed traveller was an mvp (I had 3) and Sorin impressed when I drew him. I didn't have much in the way of combat tricks. I drafted a nibilis of the urn (the tap on attack one) that I didn't run. I think I should have as that guy can help break stalemates in your favor.

I went 2-1 in swiss and I was thinking it was only 3 rounds so I disassembled my deck. It was 4. I came in 8th anyway and chose a pack of coldsnap for fun. I cracked a phyrexian soulgorger. In retrospect probably shouldn't have picked coldsnap but oh well.

I think I'm going to trade Sorin though, I don't think his value will hold. I am hoping to get a pair of snapcasters for him. The retail value mostly seems to line up.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
If I have 3 MTGO 2010 packs should I just open them?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Foma posted:

If I have 3 MTGO 2010 packs should I just open them?

Or see if a bot will give you something for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanity
Oct 7, 2005

Loot Pinata posted:

I just went 2-3 with this god-awful Sealed pool, and I'd really like to know what I could've done better. Green's the only decent colour, no strong bombs, almost no hard removal. I ended up going GBu with lots of undying creatures, morbid triggers and token makers. To be honest, 2-3 is still better than I thought I'd do.

I'd probably build it something like

Bone to Ash
Civilized Scholar
Claustrophobia
Griptide
Nephalia Seakite
Silent Departure
Think Twice
2x Ambush Viper
Darkthicket Wolf
Feed the Pack
2x Festerhide Boar
Hollowhenge Beast
Hollowhenge Scavenger
Ranger's Guile
Somberwald Dryad
Spider Spawning
Strangleroot Geist
Tracker's Instincts
Ulvenwald Bear
Young Wolf
Tragic Slip
Boneflinger.
Galvanic Juggernaut
2x Evolving Wilds

While not great, you still have a legit bomb in feed the pack and your fixing is good enough so that you can probably splash any color you want!