Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Trier posted:

I've been looking for ages for some sort of genuinely intelligent space-based sci-fi movie. Any recommendations? 2001 was great but a bit too arthouse for me, Solyaris was decent, Sunshine was perfect up until you-know-what and then it was horrible.

Moon.

You might also like the more recent American adaptation of Solaris. I didn't, but probably just because it wasn't very faithful to the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Who's got LA crime films for me? Drive has me in the mood. I'm familiar with Mann and Tarantino's stuff, The Driver, To Live and Die in LA, the Terminator movies, Training Day, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential...I know I need to see Night Moves, but what else?

Definitely The Shield (it stayed awesome throughout seven seasons), Street Kings, Dark Blue, and The Black Dahlia (not nearly as good as L.A. Confidential, but a still stylish period piece).

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Moon.

You might also like the more recent American adaptation of Solaris. I didn't, but probably just because it wasn't very faithful to the novel.
Seen Moon, it was good. Thought it lacked some direction, though, it didn't really seem like it knew what it wanted to do with it's time on my screen.

Also seen Soderbergh's remake of Solyaris, it was just a worse version of the movie I had already seen.

Thanks though

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Criminal Minded posted:

Who's got LA crime films for me? Drive has me in the mood. I'm familiar with Mann and Tarantino's stuff, The Driver, To Live and Die in LA, the Terminator movies, Training Day, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential...I know I need to see Night Moves, but what else?

I apologise for how scattershot this is but I expect you've seen a few of them so: Sunset Boulevard, Point Blank, The Long Goodbye, The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie (1978 edit is better; RIP Ben Gazzara, incidentally), Barton Fink, The Player, Menace II Society, Get Shorty, Lost Highway, Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski, The Limey.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Trier posted:

Seen Moon, it was good. Thought it lacked some direction, though, it didn't really seem like it knew what it wanted to do with it's time on my screen.

Also seen Soderbergh's remake of Solyaris, it was just a worse version of the movie I had already seen.

Thanks though

Try Ikarie XB-1.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

Trier posted:
I've been looking for ages for some sort of genuinely intelligent space-based sci-fi movie. Any recommendations? 2001 was great but a bit too arthouse for me, Solyaris was decent, Sunshine was perfect up until you-know-what and then it was horrible.
2001 was unique and a high standard to match.

Silent Running
is interesting, thoughtful, and takes place in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckJBvl_uT0

If you can get past the 1970s effects and obvious attempt from Disney to grab some Star Wars fans, you could watch The Black Hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUJJKDa558

And if you want to sort of 'cleanse the palate' and watch unique science fiction in space like you've never seen before, check out the zany antics and songs of the zero-budget The American Astronaut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujG1ADn2zk

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

Try Ikarie XB-1.
Yes see this first, Trier!
Thanks pen, I started to check it out and ended up watching the entire movie. Love the futuristic music - and dancing. A lot of thought and ideas went into that script back in 1963. Figures it's based on a novel by Stanislaw Lem, who also wrote Solaris.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Trier posted:

It sounds as if you will genuinely enjoy 2010.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

HEAT. The reverb of gunshots bouncing off skyscrapers is wonderful. The entire street is like a giant echo chamber.

Dark Knight is also good, mostly just for the bullets popping around Harvey Dent in the big car chase.
Thanks! I'm thinking Two-Lane Blacktop might be a good pick as well, with all the drag racing.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

fenix down posted:

Thanks! I'm thinking Two-Lane Blacktop might be a good pick as well, with all the drag racing.

Super Speedway has phenomenal sound. It really is just an hour of the Andretti's tuning a formula 1 and then taking it out for test drives/mock race but it makes full use of all of the surround speakers when it hits the track and sounds just stunning. Try and find the DVD of Grand Prix as well just for the sound in the race scenes.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Any suggestions for a "Dudes night" movie? I'm thinking action or a comedy. As much as I love the Big Lebowski I do not want to watch it again for like 5-10 years.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

foodfight posted:

Any suggestions for a "Dudes night" movie? I'm thinking action or a comedy. As much as I love the Big Lebowski I do not want to watch it again for like 5-10 years.

Crank/Crank 2 double feature.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

foodfight posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102984/

Possibly the greatest movie of all time.

or Drive Angry

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

How about Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans? I haven't seen it but based on what I've heard, it sounds pretty suitable.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

This will be strangely specific, but I love movies featuring an ensemble cast that has intertwining (to some degree) storylines and there's some big kind of catharsis at the end. In other words, movies like Magnolia. I have no idea what to call this but everyone I talk to seems to know what I'm talking about. Does anyone know other films like this?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DetoxP posted:

This will be strangely specific, but I love movies featuring an ensemble cast that has intertwining (to some degree) storylines and there's some big kind of catharsis at the end. In other words, movies like Magnolia. I have no idea what to call this but everyone I talk to seems to know what I'm talking about. Does anyone know other films like this?

You can always try some Altman movies like Short Cuts or Nashville.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Or Altman's very underrated "A Wedding", which is on Netflix Streaming.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

morestuff posted:

You can always try some Altman movies like Short Cuts or Nashville.

I might be in the minority, but Gosford Park is still my favorite Altman film. I think it is on streaming (netflix and amazon prime). Agatha Christie meets The Rules of the Game meets Altman's 70s fuckoff sensibility. It was also written by Julian Fellows, if you are a Downton Abbey fan.

A Wedding is also a nice pick. Nashville is never a bad idea. Short Cuts might not be the best starting place for Altman, though. I like the movie, but even I get put off by some of its pacing issues. Not sure if I would ever recommend it as an Altman starting point.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 16, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

DetoxP posted:

Some call it Hyperlink and that link has a nice little list of them. Enjoy. :)

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Some call it Hyperlink and that link has a nice little list of them. Enjoy. :)

Amazing. Thank you. This list also reminds me of how Crash might be my biggest divide between "how much I thought I'd like the film" and "how much I actually liked the film"

And thanks to everyone else too, I've never gotten around to watching Altman but apparently he's my kind of director.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Altman's the obvious pick for good reason, but don't sleep on Exotica or The Three Colors Trilogy either! Also, that style suits a few mysteries like Murder by Death and Murder On The Orient Express.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

foodfight posted:

Dabanng, its an Indian movie. Sort of like Hot Fuzz meets Black Dynamite.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Suggestions of great thrillers? Preferably supernatural and/or psychological. Stuff like The Others, Momento, The Machinist and Shutter Island are all great. Any similar recommendations? Would see The Woman in Black but it's not playing nearby. Not crime thrillers or murder mysteries.

Should mention I've also seen and loved Fight Club and Se7en.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

rizuhbull posted:

Suggestions of great thrillers? Preferably supernatural and/or psychological. Stuff like The Others, Momento, The Machinist and Shutter Island are all great. Any similar recommendations? Would see The Woman in Black but it's not playing nearby. Not crime thrillers or murder mysteries.

Zodiac and The Game (both by David Fincher, who made Fight Club and Se7en), The Prestige and Following (both by Christopher Nolan, who made Memento), Identity, and Session 9, to start with.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

rizuhbull posted:

Southern Comfort, Kontroll and Near Dark. Southern Comfort is a thriller about some guys fighting rednecks in a swamp that's a metaphor for the Vietnam war or something, directed by Walter Hill (The Warriors, Deadwood, Producer on all the good Alien movies). Kontroll is about ticket collectors who live in the Budapest subway system and a bunch of random things that happen to them. Its sort of like Scott Pilgrim meets Taxi Driver. Near Dark is a vampire/western by the director of The Hurt Locker that has a lot of the hallmarks of a good thriller, although I wouldn't call it a straight thriller (I wouldn't call The Others a straight thriller either though).

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Reccomend me some insane sci-fi anime. I'm not really a big fan of anime shows or comics, but I love stuff like Akria, Paprika, Ghost in the Shell, Studio Ghibli stuff. But I'm specifically looking for cool sci-fi.

Most recently I saw Redline and I loving loved it. The crazier, more whacked out and sci-fi-er the better.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Perfect Blue's by Satoshi Kon, the same guy who did Paprika and the Paranoia Agent tv series, I'd highly recommend it. Those are the only three things I've seen by Kon, but if they're any indication anything in his catalogue would be worth checking out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

electricsugar posted:

Reccomend me some insane sci-fi anime. I'm not really a big fan of anime shows or comics, but I love stuff like Akria, Paprika, Ghost in the Shell, Studio Ghibli stuff. But I'm specifically looking for cool sci-fi.

Most recently I saw Redline and I loving loved it. The crazier, more whacked out and sci-fi-er the better.

Dead Leaves.

Watch a trailer first, you'll either be really excited to see it or violently repulsed; I don't think a middle ground exists.

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."

rizuhbull posted:

I think you might really enjoy The Conversation. It's got that same slowly- drawing-you-in quality that Memento and The Machinist have, plus a degree of 'is this real?' quality that you seem to appreciate in your thrillers. Plus, it's just awesome. You might like Vertigo too.

Also, The Innocents is probably right up your street if you enjoyed The Others.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

electricsugar posted:

If you're willing to give shows a shot, you might get a kick out of Gurren Lagaan. Definitely has a lot of crazy whacked out sci-fi stuff!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

electricsugar posted:

Tekkonkinkreet, FLCL, Spriggan, Steamboy, and Metropolis (2001) are pretty common recs in this vein.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

electricsugar posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makoto_Shinkai
Best current Japanese Sci-Fi director.

Also try Heat Guy J which is a Police/Sci-Fi show that has a lot of homage and tribute to classic anime. But specifically a lot of classic hosed up Sci Fi stuff like Akira.

I don't know if I would go with Gurren Lagann. Its very "anime" and while it does make fun of Anime in general, you sort of need to know what its making fun of pretty intimately to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I would however recommend Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. FMA:B is an adaptation of the comic book, on which the original Anime is only loosely based. Its a very good show with a lot of really awesome animation. Things get pretty loving trippy, dudes get dismembered, things transform into evil towering fleshbeasts, terrible evil science is unleashed upon the world, its quality stuff.

If you're fine with remakes of classic literature. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is really good. Its a retelling that's set in space, uses a crazy animation style and (I say this as a huge Dumas fan) changes the ending to make it much better than the original. Its a very slow burn compared to most out there Sci-Fi anime, but once it gets going it really shines.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

After watching Psycho, Rope, and Strangers on a Train recently, I was thinking that the killers are all quite young. What are some other films that fit into this category? Clockwork Orange and Dirty Harry immediately jump to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

fenix down posted:

After watching Psycho, Rope, and Strangers on a Train recently, I was thinking that the killers are all quite young. What are some other films that fit into this category? Clockwork Orange and Dirty Harry immediately jump to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty more.

Peeping Tom is what comes to mind for me first. There's also the killer children sub genre, with The Omen, Orphan, Village of the Damned, etc.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

fenix down posted:

Natural Born Killers?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ah yes, need to watch Natural Born Killers again.

morestuff posted:

Peeping Tom is what comes to mind for me first. There's also the killer children sub genre, with The Omen, Orphan, Village of the Damned, etc.
I have not seen any of those! If you go down the horror road, then Basket Case and Re-Animator could work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Malick's Badlands, too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Funny Games

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

fenix down posted:

Elephant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Just did a rewatch of I Am Legend, and I love the first two acts of that film (as well as the original ending sequence) to death. It's a fantastic exploration of grief, isolation, and guilt- can anyone recommend some post-apocalyptic movies that hit some of the same thematic notes? The Road is one I've seen that would definitely qualify... what else is out there that's got the same feel?

• Locked thread