Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Rello posted:

Terrible, I don't really know the ins and outs of C++, and it's not on my resume. I'm pretty much only good with Java, so hopefully they ask me Java related questions, do you know of a good C++ reference though? Now's a good as time as ever to get familiar with it I suppose.

Thanks,

Edit : can anyone give me a good C reference as well, it seems all of nvidia's job descriptions want either C++ or C, and none want Java :stare:.

I haven't used C++ in 4-5 years but I like the C++ in a nutshell book by O'Riley. Did they list any qualifications or technologies in the job posting? In my mind, nVidia is pretty much a driver company. Unless you're one of their ECE PHds you're going to be writing drivers/low level controller poo poo. If C++ isn't on your resume then maybe there's some other division that I'm not thinking of and they'll ask you Python questions or something.

The nVidia guys spawned something of an inside joke among the CS department. Because the guys at the career fair were kind of mean and would tell people who failed their written test that "you need to learn more C++", that phrase turned into a catch all for any life problem.

"My car broke down again"
"You need to learn more C++"

"My girlfriend is pregnant"

"This Java assignment sucks"

"I dropped my CS major and now I'm a History major"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Last December, I graduated with a degree in CS. All entry level programming around me seem to want Database and SQL experience. If that's so important, then why isn't Database a required course for the CSCI curriculum? I took a Computer Security elective instead on my final semester mainly because it sounded more interesting. I regret it now.

What's the best way to get experience with Database and SQL?

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

gotly posted:

I haven't used C++ in 4-5 years but I like the C++ in a nutshell book by O'Riley. Did they list any qualifications or technologies in the job posting? In my mind, nVidia is pretty much a driver company. Unless you're one of their ECE PHds you're going to be writing drivers/low level controller poo poo. If C++ isn't on your resume then maybe there's some other division that I'm not thinking of and they'll ask you Python questions or something.

The nVidia guys spawned something of an inside joke among the CS department. Because the guys at the career fair were kind of mean and would tell people who failed their written test that "you need to learn more C++", that phrase turned into a catch all for any life problem.

"My car broke down again"

"My girlfriend is pregnant"

"This Java assignment sucks"

"I dropped my CS major and now I'm a History major"

Haha, I just handed my resume in at a career fair, and I got an email shortly after, so I have no idea what the job description is, other than the fact that its for a Software Engineering position. I guess I'll just do all my preparation for the interview in C++.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Like almost everything else, the best way to get experience is by doing poo poo.

Read up on database concepts like normalization, indexing, stored procedures, primary/foreign keys, etc.

Install Microsoft SQL Express, make some tables, fill them with some data, and write queries.

Write a program that interfaces with your database in your language of choice.

The rest you'll learn as you go.

For a standard job interview, expect to be able to discuss normalization (and when denormalization makes sense!), indexes (clustered and otherwise), and explain what joins are (inner join, left join, etc). Know why you shouldn't construct SQL via string concatenation, and should use stored procedures/parameterized queries in all cases.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 27, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Devvo posted:

I do have Data Structures under my belt and I'm taking a class about software design using Qt right now. I have a lot of math credits which are unrelated to programming/software development in general; my academic history involves me futzing around with humanities and math courses, and I only made the switch to Computer Science recently.

Math courses are good. I'd take anybody who did well in Analysis over somebody who did well in "Algorithms". (Actually I'd choose based on how well they can actually write code in an interview, we're just talking contrived resume-choosing scenarios.) Not everybody is the same as me though (I work at a data structures & algorithms-heavy company, which means we care more about getting people good at math than "good at algorithms").

Devvo posted:

I also haven't taken Algorithms, although I *could* stay and take out extra loans for the summer semester or even the fall to take that. Should I delay my graduation and take Algorithms? And yeah, I'm concerned I'm going to be passed over by companies for internships because I'm not a returning student and my curriculum is less focused than normal CS majors.

If you're graduating, apply for entry level jobs. Most fresh graduates I've interviewed, whose resumes were screened by a smart programmer, didn't list the courses they took. Your real weakness is lack of internships or experience, I suppose. You should get some evidence that you can write real code. (Also, some experience writing real code.) I could say "make open source projects and put them on Github" and that probably works if they're non-lovely.

An obviously better option than taking an Algorithms course would be to see what the Algorithms class would teach and learn it on your own. This might involve buying a book. Honestly the idea of having separate courses, one for "data structures" and one for "algorithms" is just silly to me.

Devvo posted:

I guess that I should also teach myself how to use subversion or git...

Meh. This is not what separates a good developer from a bad developer. Anybody can learn how to use a version control system. Young people that list version control systems on their resumes are not better than those who don't. It's like, "Oh, you listed a tool that takes a few minutes to get up and running on. How adorable!" And then there's the people who list more than one VCS, which is a way of saying that they've heard of these technologies. Maybe that's a good way to get a job at the kind of company that lists "required" version control system experience in its job posting.

Devvo posted:

I have lots of helpdesk/IT-related experience, like deploying software via WDS and hardware troubleshooting, but I know that stuff doesn't really matter.

At least that puts you above some people I've seen, in that you've had an actual job. This means potential employers can call your previous manager and see that you're not a flake. That's more important than the other benefits of having programming internships in your history, if there's other evidence that you can write actual code. (Once they've interviewed you on the phone or in person, they'll have that, unless you suck at programming. So really improvement of your image is all about the resume.)

So right now you should go for entry level jobs and ask yourself what immediate actions you can take to show that you are one of those people that can write actual code.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 27, 2012

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Weird question, and probably pretty straightforward, but how does one get into testing? I've been doing Dev/PM for a while and thought I'd try my hand at testing but I'm not sure where to start in a measurable way that would make me more qualified for industry testing jobs.

Would I do this the same way as any other skill? Just grab an open source project and start trying to break it and submit bug reports?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rello posted:

Edit : can anyone give me a good C reference as well, it seems all of nvidia's job descriptions want either C++ or C, and none want Java :stare:.

Please tell me you've seen pointers before. If not you're going to be destroyed.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
I've seen pointers before, but let's just say i'll get destroyed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sarcasmatron posted:

It's a great strategy for young programmers who work in startups and have been prematurely advanced into a lead/architect position and waste hundreds of hours a year writing mediocre code that isn't refactorable because they couldn't be bothered to read API documentation.

They are generally the same people looking for ninjas in a work hard, play hard culture.

They also say stupid things like "my favorite IDE is vi*."

I'll just leave this here (the original was pulled from HN but thankfully there was a cache)

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Last December, I graduated with a degree in CS. All entry level programming around me seem to want Database and SQL experience. If that's so important, then why isn't Database a required course for the CSCI curriculum? I took a Computer Security elective instead on my final semester mainly because it sounded more interesting. I regret it now.

Probably getting thrown a database and being forced to get it to work at your job. Like... If I had to fake my way through an interview:
1. Download SQL Express and the adventure works database off of MSDN.
2. Work through writing queries - if you don't know how to join tables and what the different joins are that ends your interview.
3. Learn what 3rd normal form is and look at some example normalized databases.
4. Look up some ADO or JDBC or other programming examples that access the database and play with them.
5. Look up CRUD, data access object, REST, three-tiered architecture and object-relational mapping off of wikipedia.
6. Work through the adventure works data warehousing example off of MSDN and get to the point where you know what data warehousing is for some bonus points.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rello posted:

Terrible, I don't really know the ins and outs of C++, and it's not on my resume. I'm pretty much only good with Java, so hopefully they ask me Java related questions, do you know of a good C++ reference though? Now's a good as time as ever to get familiar with it I suppose.

Thanks,

The standard C reference is Kernighan and Ritchie, 'The C Programming Language', and it's not too long and pretty good (as you'd expect since they invented the language). For C++ I actually quite like Stroustrup's book (again, he invented the language); I don't know how easy it'd be to follow coming from Java though. Back when I were a lad, Java didn't exist. :corsair:

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

gotly posted:

Weird question, and probably pretty straightforward, but how does one get into testing? I've been doing Dev/PM for a while and thought I'd try my hand at testing but I'm not sure where to start in a measurable way that would make me more qualified for industry testing jobs.

Would I do this the same way as any other skill? Just grab an open source project and start trying to break it and submit bug reports?

What you're talking about is something non-technical people can do, unless you're also gonna write unit tests around the conditions that failed.

I will say, though, that my SQA job was terrible. I don't know whether it was the functions of the job or the company itself, but it was my most joyless experience writing code of any sort.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rello posted:

Thanks,

Well nVidia is a hardware company, so of course they're gonna want C/C++, since the code they write will generally have to be low-level. Really if you don't already know C++ it's probably too late, good luck though! :)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

shrughes posted:

Meh. This is not what separates a good developer from a bad developer. Anybody can learn how to use a version control system. Young people that list version control systems on their resumes are not better than those who don't. It's like, "Oh, you listed a tool that takes a few minutes to get up and running on. How adorable!" And then there's the people who list more than one VCS, which is a way of saying that they've heard of these technologies. Maybe that's a good way to get a job at the kind of company that lists "required" version control system experience in its job posting.

That being said, having a github account linked on your resume is probably a good idea.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Are these companies you've actually interviewed with or been able to talk with other developers at the company, or are you just going by the job posting? Because the posting can be very deceptive, especially if it was written or heavily edited by the HR department and not the developers. What is listed as "absolutely required" on the job posting could mean as little as "you may brush up against this technology at some point." What you see on the job posting is generally a wish list, not the bare minimum.

Don't let the SQL requirement scare you off from applying if you're a reasonable match for the posting otherwise. If they call you back for an interview, chances are the SQL isn't a big part of the job and/or they're willing to train you up or work around your deficiency in that area.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
SQL is so easy to pick up once you actually have a purpose for it and know the data model in question. http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_intro.asp
Just read that whole page and you'll probably be ok.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I am a big baby that can't code "hello world" and I can do almost anything you ask in SQL. Don't be afraid of it. At all.

Also, at least from my interviews and current job, companies know sql is easy to figure out if you're already a logic reason kind of guy, so it probably won't be the thing that sinks your ship. We have analysts working here that didn't learn anything about tech in school and they write/read/use SQL just fine within a few months.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

I'm struggling to decide between two internship offers where I really can't go wrong, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions for choosing.

One is at Microsoft as an SDET somewhere in Windows. My main reservations are related to it being a SDE in test job, but it seems like Microsoft is one of the few places where testing is actually a good job and the interviewers I asked all seemed genuinely fired up about it and made me excited about it. After googling it, it seems like how good of an experience it is totally depends on your team and I'm guessing that in the Windows team it works as it's designed to. Also, if it turns out that I don't like it and I leave Microsoft, I'm assuming other companies won't sneer at my resume just because I was doing "testing"?

The other is at Google in a small group that sounds interesting. My main reservation about it is that with the Google interviews you only talk to your perspective host for thirty minutes on the phone and most of that is them asking technical questions. It sounded interesting on the phone, but it seems like a gamble to take a job where I've never met the team and know very little about the project. I'm going to get more details about the project, but it still seems like a big gamble whereas I've at least met some of the people at Microsoft and have a better feel for that culture.

Thanks!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

THE PLATFORM MASTER posted:

I'm struggling to decide between two internship offers where I really can't go wrong, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions for choosing.

If I were in your situation I'd go with Google. Regarding learning, there's a good probability you'll learn quite a bit at Microsoft, and a good probability that you'll learn quite a bit at Google. I think the Microsoft job would be infuriatingly boring, I wouldn't feel like I accomplished very much. I know a person who interned at Microsoft and while he says he liked it, I haven't heard any reverberations about him going back there. Also Google will make your resume look better. I can't see the Google job being worse than the Microsoft one. It sounds to me like MS is just better at marketing internships.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

Thanks shrughes, I'm going to get a bit more information from both recruiters but I think you're right (with the exception of the infuriatingly boring part!)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

THE PLATFORM MASTER posted:

One is at Microsoft as an SDET somewhere in Windows. My main reservations are related to it being a SDE in test job, but it seems like Microsoft is one of the few places where testing is actually a good job and the interviewers I asked all seemed genuinely fired up about it and made me excited about it. After googling it, it seems like how good of an experience it is totally depends on your team and I'm guessing that in the Windows team it works as it's designed to. Also, if it turns out that I don't like it and I leave Microsoft, I'm assuming other companies won't sneer at my resume just because I was doing "testing"?

The other is at Google in a small group that sounds interesting. My main reservation about it is that with the Google interviews you only talk to your perspective host for thirty minutes on the phone and most of that is them asking technical questions. It sounded interesting on the phone, but it seems like a gamble to take a job where I've never met the team and know very little about the project. I'm going to get more details about the project, but it still seems like a big gamble whereas I've at least met some of the people at Microsoft and have a better feel for that culture.

Thanks!

I'm currently an SDET within the Windows org and I really really like it. I came here after being a dev elsewhere for a few years (and spending much of my life wanting to be a "computer programmer"), and I was definitely worried about test being engaging enough for me. Turns out that it is.

I can't tell you what an internship would be like, but I can take a stab at any general position questions you have.

tk fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 4, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd probably go with Google simply because I believe it'd look better than MS on the resume. But both are pretty solid either way.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Does anyone have experience getting a written document to to be signed by an employer saying they aren't affected by work done outside of work hours and duties? Any specific wording I should use?

eg. Employer acknowledges that it is acceptable for employees to conduct business outside of blah blah so long as it does not constitute competition with the business...

Is there a decent template to start with out there?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Pweller posted:

Does anyone have experience getting a written document to to be signed by an employer saying they aren't affected by work done outside of work hours and duties? Any specific wording I should use?

Being in California is a good place to start.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Pweller posted:

eg. Employer acknowledges that it is acceptable for employees to conduct business outside of blah blah so long as it does not constitute competition with the business...

Considering how screwed you could be if you gently caress it up, I would consider an actual lawyer.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Pweller posted:

Copyright is implicitly yours, you have to explicitly sign it away. Just scratch any clauses about it out of the contract.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

quote:

Parameters: array of objects, an integer 'n'. Randomly select 'n' objects from the array to return. No repeats. You can assume 'n' is a valid number.

I attempted to solve this interview question posted in the OP without looking at the spoilers. Each time I iterated, I came up with the most incorrect naive option until I finally read the last one and said "aha."

Where can I find lots of examples of problems like this to practice and improve my algorithm skills?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Sab669 posted:

Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd probably go with Google simply because I believe it'd look better than MS on the resume. But both are pretty solid either way.
Why would Microsoft look worse as oppose to Google? A lot of smart people work there and it's pretty hard to get in.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Strong Sauce posted:

Why would Microsoft look worse as oppose to Google? A lot of smart people work there and it's pretty hard to get in.

Google is generally perceived--at least here in the valley--as more prestigious.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

shrughes posted:

Being in California is a good place to start.

I thought this was a dumb reply at first, but several days of on and off reading and conversations later I understand what you meant.

Unfortunately I am not in California. Will be talking to local lawyers.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Just like to share this article, to reiterate my earlier point about GPA's:

http://www.businessinsider.com/9-re...ter-very-much-9

So if you're going for Silicon Valley companies, again that poo poo doesn't matter too much.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
I'll be finishing my degree this summer and a professor of mine has offered me an opportunity of being part of some sort of small experimental company he's starting in the college. It's going to focus around developing mobile applications, and income is solely based on how succesful the applications are in the markets (android, itunes store etc.). Details are quite sparse at the moment and that's all I really know about it. I was going to do a masters in September but if I do this that's the masters out of the question for at least a year.
I'm not sure what to make of it - does it sound worthwhile doing? I don't really have anyone to ask for advice so sorry if this seems quite dumb.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There is a large chance that the app fails horribly and you get nothing for your wasted year. This is why people avoid startups that pay in equity. This particular scenario is slightly better since your app isn't going to dilute in value, but don't count on cranking out Angry Birds level profitability here. I'd at least ask for some kind of base salary.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

dmccaff posted:

I'll be finishing my degree this summer and a professor of mine has offered me an opportunity of being part of some sort of small experimental company he's starting in the college. It's going to focus around developing mobile applications, and income is solely based on how succesful the applications are in the markets (android, itunes store etc.). Details are quite sparse at the moment and that's all I really know about it. I was going to do a masters in September but if I do this that's the masters out of the question for at least a year.
I'm not sure what to make of it - does it sound worthwhile doing? I don't really have anyone to ask for advice so sorry if this seems quite dumb.

Find out if he has ever run a successful business, and find out what actual evidence he has that people are going to give him money for his app. Unless he came up a winner on both counts I would lean towards finishing studies as soon as possible. You can always go work for free a startup after college and if it doesn't work out after 3 months you wont be stuck in limbo for the rest of the year. Find out more about him and his idea.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks. There is going to be some base academic funding, although nowhere near anything like a proper (for lack of a better word) job would offer. The guy heading it has done a lot of this sort if thing before. It just seems like such a risk to take, and would hate to miss out on doing a masters if it were to fail. Choices choices...

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
I've done two mobile startups that were either partially or totally based on academic IP.

If your professor is getting funding, then you should be getting paid. You know as well as I do that there are a number of sources of funding, whether from your institution or external grants.

Make sure that the relationship between this venture and the institution are well defined (e.g. don't use your school email addresses to discuss business, set up a legal entity) as schools are IP factories and tend to protect that kind of thing relentlessly.

If your professor is unable to get funding, that is a flare in the road.

Working with academics, I've also found that it's critical to determine milestones, Minimum Viable Product, etc. - what is the minimum functionality for a 1.0 release before submitting to the App Store?

If you don't figure all that stuff out beforehand, you'll never get anything done.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What exactly are the differences from W2, corp-to-corp, contract work and who knows what else there is out there? I was contacted by a staffing firm about position that "would be on a contract basis but indefinite in length." and I don't really know how contract work works.

I don't think I'd like it, because then you need to find another job in X time?

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Sab669 posted:

What exactly are the differences from W2, corp-to-corp, contract work and who knows what else there is out there? I was contacted by a staffing firm about position that "would be on a contract basis but indefinite in length." and I don't really know how contract work works.

I don't think I'd like it, because then you need to find another job in X time?

It means you should avoid staffing firms and apply directly to the company. They make high commissions and give you about half of what the company will be billed, and this would only serve to reduce your asking price if you decide to go full time. This also gets the hiring company off the hook as far as liability should they see fit to cut costs by reducing staff or any form of medical benefit.

Another shady thing I've seen staffing agencies is tell their employees they are not allowed to discuss compensation.

Start networking with local professionals in your area and start participating in open source code projects. This is the best way to get your foot in the door without benefiting predatory agencies who's purposes is to profit off the devaluation of your labor.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Fiend posted:

Start networking with local professionals in your area and start participating in open source code projects. This is the best way to get your foot in the door without benefiting predatory agencies who's purposes is to profit off the devaluation of your labor.

I guess that's one way of looking at it.

I've had really good experiences with recruiters. I really like letting them handle the salary negotiations.

Given that this is the Newbie thread, most reputable recruiters probably aren't going to spend time on entry-level positions.

Most hiring managers want to know that you're capable of delivering usable code - along those lines, I'd suggest interning with someone who's shipping product before getting involved with an open-source project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

See now, I have a github account but I don't really know much how to use it, I guess? I looked at their tutorial for getting started and got it to work for their sample project, but when I tried to pull others' down I don't think I did it right.

And even if I did, I dunno... what would I contribute? I guess I lack confidence in my abilities even though I'd say I'm ahead of most of my fellow students.