Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

It's a shame because Pentax could have had a total slam dunk by walking into the designer's office, dropping an MX on the desk and telling him to make a digital version of it.

Basically this.

In general, I applaud camera producers looking forward with mirrorless cameras rather than back, and for that reason I still think that the NEX-7 design is more interesting that the X-Pro1 and what the OM-D is being described as, but the Pentax looks horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's a DSLR. Without a phase-detect AF module, viewfinder, and shittier battery life. It's like, you take all the disadvantages of a mirrorless system and make it as big as a DSLR (with a matching register distance), then you poo poo it out into the waiting hands of Pentaxians.

I don't loving get it either, there's so many great niche cameras that are waiting for a digital clone. You could have dropped an Olympus XA into the designer's hands, said "make it digital" and moonwalked all the way to the bank.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

HPL posted:

It's a shame because Pentax could have had a total slam dunk by walking into the designer's office, dropping an MX on the desk and telling him to make a digital version of it.

The thought that there'll never be a digital version of the M* series is pretty depressing. That poo poo would rule so hard.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Costello Jello posted:

More Pentax K-01 pics:

All of my LOLs, Pentax. Brought to you by the Marc Newson, the designer who created the following:

Lance Armstrong bike:

Black, yellow, and an abomination before God. The three fundamentals of design according to Marc Newson.

Dear Pentax, I hear you want to design a camera that no one will buy. I've attached my portolio, a chair that no one would buy. Please respond.

To be fair I would buy that chair before I buy that camera.

Also this is the funniest thing I have read:

quote:

BJP: But how are you going to convince people that have a DSLR camera to go with something that is almost similar in size to a DSLR?

Jonathan Martin: Well, it's whether they want to go with mirrorless features rather than a traditional DSLR.

BJP: What are these mirrorless features that you don't find in a DSLR?

Jonathan Martin: ... design, really. Design.

:laugh:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

keyframe posted:

quote:

Jonathan Martin: ... design, really. Design.

What does that even mean?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

eggsovereasy posted:

[/quote]

It is because he couldn't say "Your guess is as good as mine"

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

eggsovereasy posted:

He thinks people will buy it because it looks prettier. Only they wouldn't if it did, and it doesn't.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If anyone is interested, I posted my NEX gear in the buy-sell thread. Enjoy!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

In-camera HDR. You heard it here first.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nah, Sony's been all over in-camera HDR for a couple of years now. It was actually a pretty mild, reasonable implementation at first, but now I can do all sorts of cartoon-looking stuff at the drop of a hat.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I think the OM-D is the right direction for mirrorless though, EVF and a compact 1970s SLR size.

If it's any good it could be what I replace my EP-1 with.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cacator posted:

Fuckin' A, man. That's how you do it. As a fan of old OM gear, it brings a tear to my eye.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Laser Cow posted:

I think the OM-D is the right direction for mirrorless though, EVF and a compact 1970s SLR size.

The EVF resolution is disappointing for the price they are wanting to sell the camera at though. The difference between the 2.44 million dot EVF on the Sony NEX-7 and the 1.44 m dot Olympus VF-2 add-on is just night and day. I wasn't expecting to be blown away so much, but the Sony EVF is finally a truly usable resolution.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Cacator posted:

Rumors say $1200 for the body, $1450 for kit.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-camera-specs-external-battery-grip-and-flash-coming-evf-has-tweaks-price-1200/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

Fuckin' A, man. That's how you do it. As a fan of old OM gear, it brings a tear to my eye.

I donno about that. It still has that Panasonic sensor. IMO this machine need to cost less than NEX7 to justify lower IQ.

Now if it has a bigger sensor and the machine will go 1.5X when you are shooting with MF lens and do 2X with a m43 lens than I will call the price justified.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

I donno about that. It still has that Panasonic sensor. IMO this machine need to cost less than NEX7 to justify lower IQ.

Now if it has a bigger sensor and the machine will go 1.5X when you are shooting with MF lens and do 2X with a m43 lens than I will call the price justified.

I think it's fine if it's m43. The sensor technology has come along enough that 1600 or 3200 is okay. If Olympus can bring out some nice primes to compete with the likes of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, it'll make for a nice package and lessen the need to go to high ISOs. I think they've got the styling right, based on the classics but with modern sensibilities. I also like the built-in EVF because it makes the feel and functionality more like a film SLR.

Personally, I don't see compatibility with legacy lenses as a major asset or liability since the m43 system is mature enough that if you want something other than an f/2.8 zoom, you can probably find it. It's important for the NEX system because there are so few native lenses out there. Compatibility is nice, but it shouldn't be the prime driving factor behind anything as far as the camera companies are concerned or else you end up in a Pentax kind of situation.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Bob Socko posted:

If anyone is interested, I posted my NEX gear in the buy-sell thread. Enjoy!

Can I pay you in Trident Layers?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

I think it's fine if it's m43. The sensor technology has come along enough that 1600 or 3200 is okay. If Olympus can bring out some nice primes to compete with the likes of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, it'll make for a nice package and lessen the need to go to high ISOs. I think they've got the styling right, based on the classics but with modern sensibilities. I also like the built-in EVF because it makes the feel and functionality more like a film SLR.

They should make a 29 f/1.2 or something for the kit lens, go classic style all the way.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ease posted:

Can I pay you in Trident Layers?
I wish someone would pay me in gum. *sulks awkwardly*

Beastruction posted:

They should make a 29 f/1.2 or something for the kit lens, go classic style all the way.
I wish someone would release a modern f/1.2 lens, I'm curious if the technology has come far enough along to make it reasonably sharp wide open. I know Sony recently released a patent for a new 50mm f/1.2 design, who knows if it will ever make it to production.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The Voigtlander 35/1.2 is sharp enough for my tastes wide open, though I'm far from a pixel peeper.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

I wish someone would release a modern f/1.2 lens, I'm curious if the technology has come far enough along to make it reasonably sharp wide open. I know Sony recently released a patent for a new 50mm f/1.2 design, who knows if it will ever make it to production.

There's the new SLR Magic Hyperprime coming out later this year, if you have $15k to spend on one camera + lens. There are a few more articles there about it with more/better sample pictures too.

I'd like to see what the other end of the price/quality scale could look like for faster lenses with modern manufacturing too, like if they set a 50/1.4 from 1960 as their performance goal, how cheaply could they build it (with autofocus and whatever other electronic stuff, or not).

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Where are you getting the $15k figure? The Leica Nokton is $10k, the SLR Magic will be much less. You can you M mount lenses on almost any mirrorless camera, no need to buy an M9.

Also I've come to the opinion that Steve Huff is somewhat of a shill who will jizz over just about any bit of gear that a company will send him for free. If he was a great photographer I could probably let that slide, but...

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beastruction posted:

There's the new SLR Magic Hyperprime coming out later this year, if you have $15k to spend on one camera + lens. There are a few more articles there about it with more/better sample pictures too.

I'd like to see what the other end of the price/quality scale could look like for faster lenses with modern manufacturing too, like if they set a 50/1.4 from 1960 as their performance goal, how cheaply could they build it (with autofocus and whatever other electronic stuff, or not).

That bokeh is pretty bad. Not quite spiral head ache inducing but pretty undesirable. I rather spend my money on the EF 50/1.2 or AIS 50/1.2.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

That would be a 50mm f/1.8.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some dude on Xitek got access to a X Pro-1

Some interesting samples from his posts:
Minimum moire effect.

Build-in NR settings, you can select from +2 to -2

And here is the money shot, ISO 1600 comparison photos or NEX5, XP1, M9 and EP3.
http://forum.xitek.com/forum-redirect-goto-findpost-ptid-965100-pid-39326538.html

IMO so far XP1 seem to come very close to 5D2's resolution and surpass its low light performance slightly.

I donno how it compare to D700 in low light but I wouldn't be surprised to see XP1 has better high ISO dynamic range than D700.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

Some dude on Xitek got access to a X Pro-1

Some interesting samples from his posts:
Minimum moire effect.

Build-in NR settings, you can select from +2 to -2

And here is the money shot, ISO 1600 comparison photos or NEX5, XP1, M9 and EP3.
http://forum.xitek.com/forum-redirect-goto-findpost-ptid-965100-pid-39326538.html

IMO so far XP1 seem to come very close to 5D2's resolution and surpass its low light performance slightly.

I donno how it compare to D700 in low light but I wouldn't be surprised to see XP1 has better high ISO dynamic range than D700.

Noise-wise, the NEX 5N and the XP1 are basically identical. The main difference is that the 5N is using the cheap kit lens as opposed to a $500 prime.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

HPL posted:

Noise-wise, the NEX 5N and the XP1 are basically identical. The main difference is that the 5N is using the cheap kit lens as opposed to a $500 prime.

Why would the lens have any bearing on noise?

*edit* I see that might be why the image looks so much less sharp, but noise wise alone I still think the XP1 beats it.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 4, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Why would the lens have any bearing on noise?

It does look like the 5n resolved less detail, maybe he meant that it's due to the cheap lens, but the actual noise looks similar.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

UK pricing is out for the X-Pro 1

Between £1350 and £1430 for the body only even though $1700 is only £1075...

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
There's a site with a full photo of the Olympus O-MD E-5M with battery grip. Looking pretty handsome!

http://www.dslrpassion.com/rumors/72-olympus/254-olympus-e-m5-full-size-photos-with-external-battery-grip.html

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Brick Card posted:

There's a site with a full photo of the Olympus O-MD E-5M with battery grip. Looking pretty handsome!

http://www.dslrpassion.com/rumors/72-olympus/254-olympus-e-m5-full-size-photos-with-external-battery-grip.html
Very clever. In one fell swoop, Olympus created a camera that fills a need for a premium product and merges their pro line (regular Four Thirds) and consumer line.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

Very clever. In one fell swoop, Olympus created a camera that fills a need for a premium product and merges their pro line (regular Four Thirds) and consumer line.

How does it merge the pro line?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

Where do pro photographer buy pro m43 f/2.8 zooms?

I chuckle at the F4 style vertical grip, which Olympic photographer is going to buy it?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How does it merge the pro line?

This is a hybrid of the E-line and the Pen line. It's Olympus' way of saying to their E-5 fans: "We're getting out of the full-size Four Thirds thing. Get used to it."

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

This is a hybrid of the E-line and the Pen line. It's Olympus' way of saying to their E-5 fans: "We're getting out of the full-size Four Thirds thing. Get used to it."

There is nothing hybrid about it unless it solves the problem of making the 4/3 lenses autofocus decently while using CDAF. At this point the 4/3 lenses are practically useless on anything other than their SLR bodies, so unless they have something up their sleeves the OM-D is not going to be the magic bullet.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Brick Card posted:

It might be just me, but I think it looks kind of ugly. Not as bad as the pentax, but nothing droolworthy either. I think the Nex7 looks nicer, the XP1 far nicer, but of all the new camera designs, the X100 is still king in terms of looks, imo.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

poopinmymouth posted:

It might be just me, but I think it looks kind of ugly. Not as bad as the pentax, but nothing droolworthy either. I think the Nex7 looks nicer, the XP1 far nicer, but of all the new camera designs, the X100 is still king in terms of looks, imo.

I think it looks fine. I think the NEX cameras are hideous, but the 7 looks like it may be an improvement, I'll have to see one in person.

More leaked images of the OM-D, including a 'shopped version of what the silver will look like:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f38/images-olympus-e-m5-om-d-leaked-6471/

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
O-MD is hideous imo. Especially with that battery grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

keyframe posted:

O-MD is hideous imo. Especially with that battery grip.

I like it. It's pretty much what would happen if you found a sensible non-Australian designer, walked into his office, put an OM-4 on his desk and told him to make a digital version of it.