Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Regalingualius posted:

-As before, it's recommended to stick to one side of the force, since you'll need to be 3/4ths of the way to either side's maximum before you're allowed to unlock advanced classes.

I'm pretty sure there's also a true neutral advanced class, with some pretty good bonuses to boot. It does make your character seem either schizophrenic or boring, though.

I could just be remembering this wrong, however, it's been years since I last played KotOR 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Zotwoz posted:

Gonna start up Deus Ex: Human Revolution in a little while. What I can do to completely cheese the game as in the original?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Deus_Ex:_Human_Revolution

Any augments that help you get around are gonna be big help. Augmented strength and jump height give you easier ways to infiltrate. Contrary to the wiki, stealth enhancers and the gas immunity will make your life easier at a few points. Other than that, DON'T upgrade your biochip when given the option.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
A small question for the King's Bounty players (since the thread is now in the archives). What does the Treasure Searcher ability do on the green dragon in the Armored Princess expansion? I can't seem to use it in a battle or outside so what gives?

edit: Got it.

Pr0phecy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 5, 2012

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm pretty sure there's also a true neutral advanced class, with some pretty good bonuses to boot. It does make your character seem either schizophrenic or boring, though.

I could just be remembering this wrong, however, it's been years since I last played KotOR 2.

Nah, you need to be both level 15 and at least 3/4ths of the way through either alignment before you're allowed to take on the choice of prestige classes. You also need that much morality to unlock the secret tomb on Korriban.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
[Human Revolution]

SpazmasterX posted:

Other than that, DON'T upgrade your biochip when given the option.

If you're trying to min-max, sure. But it's fun to try all the options (and I think doing it is better story-wise, but YMMV).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Regalingualius posted:

Nah, you need to be both level 15 and at least 3/4ths of the way through either alignment before you're allowed to take on the choice of prestige classes. You also need that much morality to unlock the secret tomb on Korriban.

As it turns out, I was thinking of your personal crystal. I knew I remembered SOME advantage to being neutral, and it seems like being true neutral gives you a very very good version of your crystal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you're trying to min-max, sure. But it's fun to try all the options (and I think doing it is better story-wise, but YMMV).

Doing it works better story-wise only because the story makes Jensen out to be a drooling retard; ten seconds thought as yourself rather than Jensen make it pretty obvious that it's a bad idea.

Also, doing it makes a difficult and annoying boss fight even more difficult and annoying, so I'd recommend it against it on those grounds even if for no other reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, doing it makes a difficult and annoying boss fight even more difficult and annoying, so I'd recommend it against it on those grounds even if for no other reason.

Yeah, there are good gameplay reasons to not do it. I just think it makes more sense given where the story goes, since it gives you a first hand look at how augments can be used to control a population.

Regardless of what you do on the first playthrough, it's worth doing the opposite if you play it again.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Zotwoz posted:

Gonna start up Deus Ex: Human Revolution in a little while. What I can do to completely cheese the game as in the original?

As mentioned, any upgrades that aid in exploring environment (less fall damage and jump height in particular) should be picked up right away because you are running around maps for big chunks of the game. You will cheese those parts easily by investing in those upgrades.

The boss fights were developed separately from the main game so expect the game to suddenly change when you face a boss. Meaning, don't pour all your XP into stealth upgrades because those boss fights require SOME combat experience (mix it up but lean towards combat at times). Yeah, that sounds like a huge flaw in the game and it was.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

The boss fights were developed separately from the main game so expect the game to suddenly change when you face a boss. Meaning, don't pour all your XP into stealth upgrades because those boss fights require SOME combat experience (mix it up but lean towards combat at times). Yeah, that sounds like a huge flaw in the game and it was.

If you want to more or less skip the boss fight segments, pick up the Typhoon upgrade.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And if you are obsessive-compulsive about being a pacifist, even knowing that the game does not count the boss fights, keep in mind that you can, in fact, still beat them by simply stun gunning/tranquilizer darting them until the cutscene plays of them keeling over dead for no apparent reason.

(Though the stun gun's speed and stun-lock is really the only practical way to make this work)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Pick up the Wall Punching aug while you're still in the first hub. It opens up more options for traversal, and you can find at least one Praxis kit behind breakable walls in that hub, so it pays for itself. Plus it's cool as gently caress.

Similar to the first game, where the GEP gun was the only sensible choice for a weapon at the start, the tranquilliser rifle is your best bet when given the choice (non-lethal, long-ranged) since the other choices are easier or cheaper to acquire later. The pistol is probably the best all-around lethal weapon, though, especially when modded to poo poo.

Speaking of which, don't discount the stun gun. While it might seem superfluous when you can do non-lethal takedowns unarmed, it's actually got a longer range than you'd think, and since it uses ammo rather than energy you can reuse it quicker.

Don't dick around in the Sarif building before your first real mission. Trust me.

While I'm here, I have a tip or two for Final Fantasy 8:

Upgrading weapons isn't really worth the hassle. Do it if you have the stuff to hand anyway but don't stress over it. Squall gets new Limit Breaks with new models, and Selphie's final weapon has perfect accuracy, but that's all that's worthwhile. Other than that, you get a strength boost that is outclassed by your junctions.

Speaking of which, you don't need to have found the relevant Weapon Monthly issue to unlock a weapon upgrade, so long as you have the required items in your inventory.

This one's less of a beginner tip but I'll say it anyway: it's possible to get Squall's final weapon, Lionheart, on the first disc, and thus unlock his Lion Heart limit break finisher two discs early. Don't loving bother. It involves spending hours playing Triple Triad on the first island to get 20 of an uncommon card, and since Squall picks his finishers randomly, and Lion Heart is the least commonly used, you could go the entire game without seeing it. Colossal waste of time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

The pistol is probably the best all-around lethal weapon, though, especially when modded to poo poo.

On that note, there's a silencer you can buy in the first hub, from a merchant in an out of the way building. I'm terrible at describing directions in words, so watch this youtube video, which shows you exactly where it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RraQaEL6rbM

Once you get the silencer and the laser sight on the pistol, it becomes incredibly handy, and I think this is the earliest moment by far in the game that you can get it.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

LoveisOver posted:

So I'm on my Playthrough 2 in Borderlands, and I haven't yet touched the DLC. I guess I'll just play them in order, but it seems so me like I didn't get any particularly great guns the first time through: was i just unlucky or is all the good poo poo sprinkled through PT2?

I only just started PT2, so if anyone has any advice for it in particular I'd be glad to hear it.

The legendary weapons do drop a lot more often the higher level you are so don't worry if your arsenal isn't what you want it to be right now. I remember at the highest level I would find orange guns in those white chests with only 2 weapons.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anything for Dead Island, other than what's in the OP of the game thread?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dr Snofeld posted:

Lion Heart is the least commonly used, you could go the entire game without seeing it. Colossal waste of time.

Negative. There's an equal chance of using any of his finishing moves, and the chance of using his strongest available finisher increases depending on his crisis level. Dropping into yellow HP is enough to practically guarantee he'll use Lionheart if he uses a finisher.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I've got a question about Red Dead Redemption. It seems like you can choose to be honorable or dishonorable, and I was wondering which choice is better storywise -- like is it worth it to be dishonorable to have lawmen chase you or whatever happens, or does it not even affect the story much at all?

I'd like to gun motherfuckers down in the street, but if it causes me to miss out on some good stuff I'd rather play by the rules.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd say the best advice for Might and Magic 7 is to make sure all of your characters use bows all the time. Since there are so many monsters in the game, a good chunk of them can be killed in this way.
I concur, bows are extremely useful until very late in the game and you should definitely start off with them on all characters, buying the skill ASAP for those who don't get it straight off the bat.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Negative. There's an equal chance of using any of his finishing moves, and the chance of using his strongest available finisher increases depending on his crisis level. Dropping into yellow HP is enough to practically guarantee he'll use Lionheart if he uses a finisher.

Well I literally went an entire playthrough without seeing it, and reached level 100, so your mileage may vary.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Gaggins posted:

I've got a question about Red Dead Redemption. It seems like you can choose to be honorable or dishonorable, and I was wondering which choice is better storywise -- like is it worth it to be dishonorable to have lawmen chase you or whatever happens, or does it not even affect the story much at all?

I'd like to gun motherfuckers down in the street, but if it causes me to miss out on some good stuff I'd rather play by the rules.

From what I understand, the story is supposed to be much better playing honorably.

However, if you want to take a break from being a good guy, there's a bandana in a Thieves' Landing store that prevents your honor/fame from moving, so slap it on and start shooting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaggins posted:

It doesn't have any effects on the story, it plays out the same regardless of how you act in the game. Red Dead Redemption is a great game with a great story, but it does kind of suffer from GTA IV syndrome in that regard, in that no matter how much of a psychopath you are in the game (gunning down townsfolk for sport, tying prostitutes to railroad tracks, robbing trains), cutscene John Marston is always going to say "My killin' days are behind me, I'm just trying to save my family"

So for that reason, I find being honorable to make much more sense in the context of the cutscenes that you get no matter how you play. I also find it just kind of plain rewarding to be honorable, because the people in that game seem to be having such a hard time as it is—why add to their troubles?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Gaggins posted:

Honorable fits the story much better, and you get discounts on stuff/better rates on stuff you sell (except for one store where you get discounts if you're dishonorable) You get the Duster coat if you're good too, which is way too badass to pass up :clint:

You can get a bandana which removes any honor/fame changes while you wear it. So if you fancy going on a shooting spree make sure you're wearing it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well I literally went an entire playthrough without seeing it, and reached level 100, so your mileage may vary.

I've never seen it used in a normal fight; conversely, I've never seen him not use it in the final battle. Until this conversation I thought it was a scripted attack he only ever used against the final boss.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr Snofeld posted:

Similar to the first game, where the GEP gun was the only sensible choice for a weapon at the start, the tranquilliser rifle is your best bet when given the choice (non-lethal, long-ranged) since the other choices are easier or cheaper to acquire later. The pistol is probably the best all-around lethal weapon, though, especially when modded to poo poo.
What really confused me about the entire game was the way that lethal weapons seemed useless compared to non-lethal weapons. If you take out the game telling you "this person is unconscious," the tranquilizer rifle and stun gun actually seem like far deadlier weapons than any of the others available to you. Even the plasma rifle takes multiple shots to kill a random dude, whereas one shot from either of the non-lethal guns and they are out forever. It felt like it was against the spirit of a pacifist playthrough to feel so much more powerful than you would if using bullets. Granted, lethal takedowns are just as effective as non-lethal, so there is that equivalency.

pigdog posted:

I concur, bows are extremely useful until very late in the game and you should definitely start off with them on all characters, buying the skill ASAP for those who don't get it straight off the bat.
I might as well concur with this concurrence and also add that I believe in basically every Might & Magic game (#3 to #9), having everyone in your party equipped with ranged weapons will make the game significantly easier (or, in the case of 6 at least, "less cruel" instead of "easier;" seriously, who thought up that enormous underground temple structure chock-full of creatures that are worth little experience and do not even give you any treasure?).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I found a copy of Sakura Wars: So Long My Love for cheap a while back, and I think it's about time I put some time into it. Is there anything I should know, particularly permanently missable stuff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Any tips for Space Marine?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Colon V posted:

Aim for the head, don't stick to the bolter, and use your fury or whatever it's called. There's no "special moment" when you'll need it so you might as well use it every time you fight a bunch of dudes.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

S-Alpha posted:

I found a copy of Sakura Wars: So Long My Love for cheap a while back, and I think it's about time I put some time into it. Is there anything I should know, particularly permanently missable stuff.

-There is a LOT of optional stuff you can do while wandering around New York and talking to the girls and you won't see it all on a single playthrough.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zotwoz posted:

The ammo for it is somewhat limited, but putting 2 points into the Typhoon system will let you cheese a lot of hard combat parts.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Quarex posted:

What really confused me about the entire game was the way that lethal weapons seemed useless compared to non-lethal weapons. If you take out the game telling you "this person is unconscious," the tranquilizer rifle and stun gun actually seem like far deadlier weapons than any of the others available to you. Even the plasma rifle takes multiple shots to kill a random dude, whereas one shot from either of the non-lethal guns and they are out forever. It felt like it was against the spirit of a pacifist playthrough to feel so much more powerful than you would if using bullets. Granted, lethal takedowns are just as effective as non-lethal, so there is that equivalency.

Pistol headshots are absolute beasts, though, especially when you get the AP mod.

With regards to augs, the nice thing about the game is that the really awesome-sounding augs are usually as good as they sound, which is nice.

Put plenty of points into hacking and hacking stealth, ignore hacking fortify, since you'll rarely if ever fortify nodes, ignore the hacking information aug, which literally does nothing. Not sure how that one got through testing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I didn't mind Fortify, since it gave me more time to hoover up everything on the grid.

It's definitely not a high priority, but points aren't at a premium for a hacking+stealth character.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

It felt like it was against the spirit of a pacifist playthrough to feel so much more powerful than you would if using bullets. Granted, lethal takedowns are just as effective as non-lethal, so there is that equivalency.

Actually, lethal takedowns are poo poo; they take longer and are much noisier than non-lethal takedowns. You can take down a guy nonlethally without alerting someone two meters away, but a nonlethal takedown will have people in the next room coming to investigate.

One of the things I disliked about DX:HR was how heavily it pushed you to go nonlethal. Nonlethal weapons are generally more effective and stealthier, and nonlethal takedowns are better than lethal ones in every single way (and if you feel that they just have to die, you can always do a nonlethal takedown and then shoot them in the head). On top of that, you get XP for every kill or knockout - and knockouts are worth much more than kills, so a nonlethal character will be more powerful in general due to having a lot more XP to play with.

DX1, by awarding XP only for exploration and completing objectives and not for taking out enemies, gave you no OOC incentives either way and left it entirely between you and your conscience. I wish DXHR had stuck with that.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Started Arkham City a few days ago, and I read through the wiki which has a lot of good info but I have two questions that aren't covered:

1. What kind of information am I getting out of Riddler's thugs when I interrogate them? Is it riddle hints? Trophy locations?
2. Will the game tell me if I at some point have run out of information to get from interrogating thugs?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

1. What kind of information am I getting out of Riddler's thugs when I interrogate them? Is it riddle hints? Trophy locations?

Both. Your map will gain question marks for trophies, or camera frames for riddles. I don't think you ever get the locations of the miscellaneous destructibles, though, and I have no idea what happens if there's nothing left to get.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Colon V posted:

The only real upgrade to your melee is the Chainsword. The other melee weapons are slower and have different attacks - don't be afraid to swap back if you don't like them.

Don't hold on to the biggest melee weapon forever. You lose out on your special weapons, and they can help more than being able to kill everything in two melee hits.

You should always have a long-range special weapon. Pick your favorite.

Bind Fury to another key close at hand, I use a thumb button on my mouse. It's a great "Oh poo poo" button if you don't have to stop killing to hit it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Stelas posted:

Both. Your map will gain question marks for trophies, or camera frames for riddles. I don't think you ever get the locations of the miscellaneous destructibles, though, and I have no idea what happens if there's nothing left to get.

You do get the locations of the destructibles. Except the Tyger cameras.

When there's no more riddler trophy locations to reveal, the game doesn't tell you, but there won't be any more riddler informants, which is a pretty big heads up.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I should point out that Arkham City sort of has a point of no return. You can continue to explore the city after the ending, but if you're a weirdo like me who doesn't like to play a game after the story's over, then don't go to the Steel Mill for the second time until you're ready to complete the game. You can still do stuff after the Steel Mill, but it's pretty pointless. You'll see why.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

bbcisdabomb posted:

(Space Marine) Bind Fury to another key close at hand, I use a thumb button on my mouse. It's a great "Oh poo poo" button if you don't have to stop killing to hit it.
To add to this: while you are in Fury mode, you can execute enemies without having to stun them first. Yes, this includes Nobz.

And yeah, never be without a sniper-class weapon if you can at all help it. There comes a time (lots of times actually) where being unable to easily pick off enemies raining down pain at you from a distance makes the game a serious pain in the rear end.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Space Marine - a change I made that I like was to bind melee attacks and stun to the mousewheel. So LMB and RMB are shoot and zoom like any normal shooting game, then when it comes time to shift to melee, mouse wheel down is strike and mouse wheel up is stun. It made it a lot easier to do strike/strike/strike/stun combos on Nobz and other big enemies and I didn't have to worry about using non-WASD keys for anything but dodge, grenades, execute, and Fury. Might not be for everyone but it worked for me. The game is generally pretty straightforward in terms of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MMAgCh posted:

To add to this: while you are in Fury mode, you can execute enemies without having to stun them first. Yes, this includes Nobz.

:aaaaa:

My setup is standard except using mouse4 for stun and mouse5 for Fury. Fury is really the only thing you need to keep an eye on and it recharges fast enough you can use it basically whenever you need.