Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Choc posted:

I am now praying to banjo that Rich puts up a "get me to a clear million dollars and I will write a whole new OOTS 1000 plus page epic in same art style and with the same characters and stuff after the current gate arc ends"

Why would you even want that? When the story is done, it's done; I'd much rather see him use that time/energy to write a new story with fresh new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Cabbit posted:

To be absolutely fair, not everything is templates and one of the major themes of Homestuck is repetition and predestination. Having a lot of reused models and art plays into that (and is a handy excuse).

Hugbox is a really stupid phrase, however. Oh no! People who like something agree with each other and are being civil about it! :ohdear:

If you really want, we could get into an argument over Belkar's current alignment.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Or for a halfway approach, a full-length Order of the Scribble prequel story. Viability of the idea depends on how much of it will be revealed during the events of regular OotS.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Technogeek posted:

If you really want, we could get into an argument over Belkar's current alignment.

Let's just bring Miko and full alignment discussion back so as to utterly destroy the notion that this thread is dominated by groupthink.

line number
Feb 14, 2002

Vorgen posted:

... Presentation is a big part of producing art. You can't just crap out a few paintings and then lean them up against a wall and expect people to like it. You gotta frame them and light them and stick them in a gallery before you can expect any interest...

I hope to god you are never an art dealer.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
He could probably ask a million dollars in exchange for V's gender.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Soylentbits posted:

He could probably ask a million dollars in exchange for V's gender.

He really should put "500k, I will send out an email to everyone who donated with V's gender" and then send out to half "male" and to half "female" and then just sit back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
"Donate a million and I will claim Belkar's alignment is True Neutral"

Choc
Dec 1, 2005

I hate LOVE the SA purchase system

Ashenai posted:

Why would you even want that? When the story is done, it's done; I'd much rather see him use that time/energy to write a new story with fresh new characters.

I really like the characters and the world they live in. I would love to see more adventures. You sound like someone saying "why do we want the Lord of the rings? we have the Hobbit!"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Choc posted:

I really like the characters and the world they live in. I would love to see more adventures. You sound like someone saying "why do we want the Lord of the rings? we have the Hobbit!"

The only main character the Hobbit and LOTR have in common is Gandalf. (With small parts by Bilbo and Elrond.) You sound like someone saying "There should be a sequel! And it should be Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarf going on an adventure to kill another dragon."

EDIT: Oh right, I did forget Gollum. Still, he has a fairly small role in Hobbit.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 3, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Excuse me, I believe you will find that the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are merely two parts in Tolkien's unfinished The Saga of Smeagol.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

DrakePegasus posted:

[/vaarsuvius]
Berlew just came out of an awesome plotline involving one of the best villain characters I've seen in years in Tarquin. He pulled off one of the better fights in comics in a while with the Thog/Roy fight. Every single character has grown and displayed depth, and even the walk-ons always come across as having that classical "Rich Inner Life". He's even managed to fix one of his old issues and turned the Linear Guild into something awesome.

People wait on bated breath for every update.

This isn't surprising at all.

But hosed if it isn't heartwarming.

Alchenar posted:

It's worth noting that the Oots style is bit more than 'stick figures': compare the very first strip to the very latest one and you can see that Rich has put real (sometimes subtle) work into getting as much out of stick figures as possible.
Yeah, no poo poo. It's pretty easy to see that the look of OotS is a deliberate choice, and not a demonstration of artistic limitation. hosed if I know why people are moaning about it in the webcomics thread.

Edit: the writing's not tricky to decode, either. You take seemingly archetypical characters that you'd see in a bad D&D self-insert webcomic, and then you subvert that by giving them real character, real motivations, real strengths and real flaws. Tarquin wasn't just fun because he knew all that "how to be a supervillain" stuff, he was fun because his whole "you get to live like a king for twenty years" bit gave him a plausible, realistic motivation for his sort of character that gets overlooked in this sort of fiction...and in doing so, he helped define Xykon and Redcloak through the contrast.

Sure, if you despise genre fiction, you won't get much out of it. But who cares?

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 3, 2012

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Nomenklatura posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. It's pretty easy to see that the look of OotS is a deliberate choice, and not a demonstration of artistic limitation. hosed if I know why people are moaning about it in the webcomics thread.

There are legitimate criticisms. Like it's pretty terrible at conveying any sort of dynamic movement: people prance around with legs fully extended like they're all ballerinas, heads tend to be rigidly aligned with the spine regardless of just being hit in the head by a giant demon, etc. For a comic that features fighting as often as OotS does, it's a bit of a disappointment.

I suppose you could say it's oddly appropriate given that it's represented a turn-based RPG, but that doesn't make it good.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Sick of charity. Want comic now.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Nilbop posted:

Sick of charity. Want comic now.

Ahem, use the force, Luke.

I hope nothing bad prevented Burlew from doing a update. I hope he is OK.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Dilb posted:

There are legitimate criticisms. Like it's pretty terrible at conveying any sort of dynamic movement: people prance around with legs fully extended like they're all ballerinas, heads tend to be rigidly aligned with the spine regardless of just being hit in the head by a giant demon, etc. For a comic that features fighting as often as OotS does, it's a bit of a disappointment.

I suppose you could say it's oddly appropriate given that it's represented a turn-based RPG, but that doesn't make it good.
Perhaps, but it doesn't make it bad, either. That's a bit like saying that a black and white comic is bad at portraying the difference between a Granny Smith and a MacIntosh. Every single work of art in any medium is going to involve tradeoffs, especially if you're going for something like Burlew, where one of the big gags is that you have these simplistic-looking characters involved with such (relatively?) intense characterization and plot. It's supposed to look like something a child or a neophyte would draw, until you take a closer look and realize "oh, poo poo, there's actually a lot going on there".

Again, I don't think this reflects any sort of artistic limitations on his part. It's a choice. It's right there in the title: Order of the Stick. And there's nothing wrong with making that choice.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cuchulain posted:

Wait a second. You know that everything is MSPA is templates, right? How could you say that's a fault when you like MSPA. :psyduck:
To be fair, the art does get considerably more varied and dynamic from Act 4 onwards (about a third into Homestuck's current length). Heck, Hussie's said that he actually works faster when he's doing the freehand art than when he's using templates, but still uses the templates because of how they fit into the comic's overall themes and style. That and they're handy for animation.

Either way, for me both comics are easily in my top five, so it's not an issue either way for me. Just saying.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Affi posted:

He really should put "500k, I will send out an email to everyone who donated with V's gender" and then send out to half "male" and to half "female" and then just sit back.

Ye gods, that would be beautiful. :allears:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Has Rich ever said if he knows V's sex? That is, whether he has decided on the answer and just won't say it, or hasn't actually decided yet?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Has Rich ever said if he knows V's sex? That is, whether he has decided on the answer and just won't say it, or hasn't actually decided yet?

Yeah he knows. Apparently he told a friend of his before he decided to keep it ambiguous in the comic, and that friend has kept the secret.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I'm pretty sure he assumed V's gender was obvious to everyone, but after seeing a lot of speculation and questions about it on his forums, decided to make a gag out of it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Huh. Well, if the idea wasn't already there from the start, that takes away a hell of a lot of the uncertainty I had on the matter.

(Apologies if I'm getting too close to reopening the debate. I haven't really discussed OotS in forums before, but I imagine the öld guard" must be sick and tired of talking about that.)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

Huh. Well, if the idea wasn't already there from the start, that takes away a hell of a lot of the uncertainty I had on the matter.

(Apologies if I'm getting too close to reopening the debate. I haven't really discussed OotS in forums before, but I imagine the öld guard" must be sick and tired of talking about that.)

Nah, V's gender is kind of a non-issue, really. There's points for both sides, but in the end, who really cares? Even if Rich came out and gave a definitive answer, it wouldn't change anything. Now stuff like the Monster in the Darkness, or the Snarl planet, those are far more interesting mysteries.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He's turned V's gender into a running gag and I'd be kinda disappointed with any resolution, myself.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
So I just checked the Kickstarter and less than a day after it was announced, we've crossed the threshold for the coloring book. At this rate, this thing is going to blow the $500k mark out of the water.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The kickstarter rewards are extremely confusing now. I wish I could find a bundle of just war and xps and don't split the party along with snips snails and dragon tails, since I have the other four books. The closest I've found is just the full story bundle, but that's $200+ dollars and I'm not willing to pay that much just to get the three books I'm missing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HKR posted:

The kickstarter rewards are extremely confusing now. I wish I could find a bundle of just war and xps and don't split the party along with snips snails and dragon tails, since I have the other four books. The closest I've found is just the full story bundle, but that's $200+ dollars and I'm not willing to pay that much just to get the three books I'm missing.
So just get one that has just books you want, and order the remainders separately.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Pretty sure you can still BUY the books once they're made, even if you don't donate a cent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Javid posted:

Pretty sure you can still BUY the books once they're made, even if you don't donate a cent.
Yeah, this is the entire point of the Kickstarter: to put out of print books back in print. For everyone.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

HKR posted:

The original rewards were confusing, and he can't take them down. But there should now be "pick 2" and "pick 3" rewards, which cover what you want. Except Dragon Tails might not be on there at all, just get that one from the store.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
How do taxes work for kickstarter projects?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
They're gifts, so I imagine they wouldn't be taxed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, they're taxed. I'm not sure how, but they are. The Comedy Button guys mentioned that they havent used most of theirs yet since they want to pay the taxes first.

Even if they count as gifts, you can only have $500 worth of exempted gifts, I believe.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

When its being used for pre-orders like this is primarily, it should only tax on the profit, not the entire value.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Endless Mike posted:

No, they're taxed. I'm not sure how, but they are. The Comedy Button guys mentioned that they havent used most of theirs yet since they want to pay the taxes first.

Even if they count as gifts, you can only have $500 worth of exempted gifts, I believe.

Plus, saying "give me this much money and you get a book" isn't exactly a gift arrangement, it's money in exchange for a product.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hopefully the answer he goes with is 'a tax lawyer costs a tiny fraction of half a million dollars'.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Just bumped my pledge up to the $25 option. The $10 dollar one was already a great deal, but the coloring book kinda pushed me over the edge. Magnet, coloring book, art print, note pad, stickers, and all the PDF stories? Plus a chance for more poo poo on the way? gently caress, man.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Just pledged $29. I've been meaning to get Start of Darkness for a while now, kinda glad I waited so long considering all I'm getting with it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
V's gender should be the very last thing in the last panel of the comic.

"Now I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cuchulain posted:

V's gender should be the very last thing in the last panel of the comic.

"Now I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

But they adopted, that doesn't answer anything! :eng101: